Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oi Paddy!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Was called "a Fenian bastard" while on holiday in North Wales when I was 10! Wearing a Celtic jersey in an arcade when two lads about 17-18 came over and decided to impart their wisdom on me :rolleyes: One was wearing a Rangers jersey. Didn't even know what a 'Fenian' was back then so it didn't bother me too much! Was more pissed off that it cost me a good shot at Darth Vadar's spaceship on Star Wars, never got to the next level :mad:

Celtic 1 - 0 Huns :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Jimoslimos wrote: »
    Maybe it was a slightly cryptic reference to the high incidences of cardiovascular disease suffered by those of Celtic origin, especially in Scotland & Ireland

The subtle bastard!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Fart

yupyup7up wrote: »
    In Gran Canaria I had to go to the shop to get something for my then other half.

There was a black guy trying to sell me sunglasses and that kinda sh!te and I said that I was grand so he kept at it. Eventually I just walked away from him, and he said "Paddy! Paddy! Come back you f*cking paddy!"

It took all my self restraint not to say something racist towards him, so instead I stopped and turned around and walked back towards him and asked him aggressively what the f*ck he was calling me and he walked off fairly quick. what a d!ckhead :rolleyes:

You should have told him to quit nagging you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Pj!

A few little things but nothing severe and most in good humour.

I don't see why anyone would get upset about it really (unless it was a severe case of course). The whole 'Paddy' thing wouldn't bother me at all.

Actually often while chatting to someone (often to taxi drivers) abroad they stop me after a few minutes and ask am I Irish. I say yes I am and they say something like "Oh good. I thought you were English!". That's happened a lot actually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭yupyup7up

Fart wrote: »
    You should have told him to quit nagging you.

I would have but this was pre-naggers episode of South Park!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

Never been abused. I got 'You're English? Fucking legend' last summer in Cavan a good few times though.

I did get asked 'Oh my God, are you Australian?' in Boston, though. That hurt.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

brummytom wrote: »
    Never been abused. I got 'You're English? Fucking legbellend' last summer in Cavan a good few times though.

You might have heard 'legend' but they specifically said the above :pac:

Only kiddin' me ould trout :P

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Stiffler2

davet82 wrote: »
    Have you ever been racially abused when abroad?

Few years ago I got a taxi in Manchester and when I got out of the taxi, the driver informed me he wouldn't have picked me up if he knew I was Irish! :(

any experinces?

you should have told him that you wouldn't have gotten into the taxi if you knew he was a C**T

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭caitmb

Living in the north of England and being the only Oirish in the village I was more a novelty factor but one dick used to home in on me in the pub to tell me to f off home,my kind killed his best friend in the north.....after sympathising and plamassing (??) him a few times I got fed up and f-ed off back home!! Not really,but avoided him and that pub bigtime,not worth it dealing with drunk dicks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

caitmb wrote: »
    Living in the north of England and being the only Oirish in the village I was more a novelty factor but one dick used to home in on me in the pub to tell me to f off home,my kind killed his best friend in the north.....after sympathising and plamassing (??) him a few times I got fed up and f-ed off back home!! Not really,but avoided him and that pub bigtime,not worth it dealing with drunk dicks.

Placating? I like your new word. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭ronjo

I worked with an English guy of Pakistani origin that used to call me Paddy (jokingly) a lot.... I never made an issue of it and then one time I called him Paki (also jokingly) he went mad accusing me of being racist !

Another English guy who was there told him to cop on and he soon backed down.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

Mentioned this earlier: I was once addressed as "Paddy" by a middle-aged Englishman I didn't know. This was in Sweden, with several Swedish people present. I looked around as though to see if he was addressing someone else beside or behind me then said to him: "Sorry, you must be mistaking me for someone else. My name isn't Paddy. My friends call me [first name], and you can call me Mr.
    ". Both he and his wife looked like they'd been bitch-slapped as several Swedes sniggered visibly at the put-down.:):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Some guy in England misread what was clearly jocular and harmless banter when I called him a arrogant, colonial, queen-loving, cricket fllannel-wearing, tea-fetishist, supercilious, Belgrano-sinking, Bogside-shooting, Malvinas-usurping Brit bastard and said Cheer Up, Paddy.

Dirty cunt.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

jester77 wrote: »
    Someone once thought I was English :eek:
    That happened me in Bulgeria, I arived at a cigg shop and he wouldnt serve me and then called me a british **** :eek: I told him I was Irish not english and he apologised and gave me smokes for free :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

Full on row with a taxi driver in London, to quite an agressive level. Naturally I gave as good as I got. So after about 15min he kicked me out of the Cab.

Felt I won that battle as I only had a 2 min walk home and the trip cost me nothing and I knew I pissed his off no end. Also filed a report for Racial Abuse with the police.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

jester77 wrote: »
    Someone once thought I was English :eek:

Oh the irony.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

I see a lot of people saying stuff like they've been mistaken for English/British, when much to said foreigner's relief they reveal their Irishness. Only place I've ever been asked was I British was in New York, to which I replied (with a tinge of hurt, I must admit) "No, I'm Irish". They were quite indifferent, disappointed almost.

Funny how going to war with them (or not, in the case of the French) can change the Yanks' perception of you quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

A Welsh bouncer in Holyhead, pushed me out the door when I greeted him and directed me towards the ferry terminal. The Ferry is that way Paddy were his words.

Group of Scots took exception to my brother and I joining in to a football game whilst on holidays in France.

Multiple times in Sydney.

An Italian bar owner confused us with being English and told us to leave as he shouted vile obscenities about the Queen.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭paulosham

The way Simon Day's character insults Ted always cracks me up.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,064 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

People always think I'm english, or british. The latter usually goes something like:

"So are you British?"
    "No I'm Irish."
    "But Irish is British too?"
    "No it's not."
    "Yes it is, I read about it"
    "Excuse me, but I think I know more about my nationality more than you"

Once people know I'm Irish, i get the usual crap about drinking a lot, fighting, corned beef & cabbage (which always confuses the hell out of me), and potatoes.

Banter really, not racism

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

retalivity wrote: »
    People always think I'm english, or british. The latter usually goes something like:

"So are you British?"
    "No I'm Irish."
    "But Irish is British too?"
    "No it's not."
    "Yes it is, I read about it"
    "Excuse me, but I think I know more about my nationality more than you"

Once people know I'm Irish, i get the usual crap about drinking a lot, fighting, corned beef & cabbage (which always confuses the hell out of me), and potatoes.

Banter really, not racism

Call them a shower of Yanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Fart

...told us to leave as he shouted vile obscenities about the Queen.

He's not a fan of So Graham Norton, I take it then.

Once when I was in a pub in Russia this lad shouted "NO ENGLISH HERE!!" at me, I told him I was actually Irish, then he smiled and bought me a drink. True story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

I got into a taxi at Dublin airport and the Nigerian was rude and bordering on abusive to me.

I tried chatting to him, bit he wasn't interested until he realised I wasn't Irish. Then he was a friendly as can be.

Happens a lot.

Apparantly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭latenia

On my first ever day in the US I got called a "fucking white faggot" by some Nation of Islam guys in Union Square in New York because I started heckling them. Years later I wandered into the wrong neighbourhood in New Orleans and got called a "snowman."

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭bicardi19

I got called a pasty cracker when in the U.S.

Quite normal it seems if your white.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭spdmrphy

Been called a free state bastard by a few nordies. Been called Paddy a few times when I lived in the UK, but it was more banter then abuse.

Probably cos you free state bastids keep calling us nordies "nordies"!

Bleedin' Mexicans... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭crustyjuggler

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    I've never heard that. What does it mean? Is it racial?

It's "blood claat" not "blood clot"
    it is a jamaican insult basicly meaning
    mother ****er...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭User Friendly

It's "blood claat" not "blood clot"
    it is a jamaican insult basicly meaning
    mother ****er...
    No it doesnt mean mother f+++++

its basically calling you a tampon!:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Mickey Dazzler

When I worked on a merchant ship full of Chinese people they all called me "gweilo" meaning white ghost...I was so offended that they would use a racial slur like that. Silly little slopes.

Advertisement