Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oi Paddy!

Options
  • 26-01-2012 4:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭

Have you ever been racially abused when abroad?

Few years ago I got a taxi in Manchester and when I got out of the taxi, the driver informed me he wouldn't have picked me up if he knew I was Irish! :(

any experinces?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

I got called 'white monkey' once in Cape Town by a big black woman, wearing a thing like a fruit basket on her head :eek:

I cried me eyes out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭W.Shakes-Beer

Wore a green shirt the other day and got called a Leprechaun.

I burned my shirt.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Fart

I got called a "West Brit" on After Hours once. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

Regularly get the piss taken out of me at work because all my cousins (aka travelers) are around the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

Yeah when I was living in scotland working the phones for Sky I got called Paddy, mick and leprechaun boy.

I just laughed at them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

During my 10 years in London the worst I got was an "Oi mate."

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 2,152 Mod ✭✭✭✭Oink

Yup. In Dublin, by a gentleman with a thick ulster accent. *cough*

In fairness I do have that shifty foreign look about me.

EDIT: George st doesn't really qualify as abroad but anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,660 ✭✭✭Corvo

When I was in Paris a guy charged me €17 for a Guinness. I felt soo...invaded! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

davet82 wrote: »

Someone once thought I was English :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭swimming in a sea

only ever in Dublin, she said she had to charge extra since i was from the country

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Worked for an English lad briefly in France and he used to say, "Let's not be Paddies about this - use your brain for fawk's sake!"

I was insulted but mainly because he was a complete thick and his suggested way of doing things was always f*cking stupid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

davet82 wrote: »

Few years ago I got a taxi in Manchester and when I got out of the taxi, the driver informed me he wouldn't have picked me up if he knew I was Irish! :(

any experinces?

"...Well I was planning to pay my fare before I knew you were a cnut"

* I would have paid him in Euro just to piss him off further.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭paul71

I was once called a white Czech F****r by a gypsy in Prague. I had to get my wife to translate the comment for me, simply replied that I was a white Irish F****r.

When I lived in the states a few black guys screamed at me, yo white bitch.. and a few other choice words.

I did the White Power salute and roared White Power!!!

( then I legged it):o

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭ICANN

A kid I teach today told me to 'fcuk off back to my own country' and (adults) always go on to me about travellers and one person I work with ALWAYS brings up the IRA. It's just idiots tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭Wicklowrider

Had an English "lady" rip into me over the phone once. I worked for one of the multi nationals and she was buying about £100K worth of goods. She objected to the delivery charge (fair enough as far as that goes) She then went off into a rant about if the company I worked for chose to locate in " a third world country they had no right to expect the British to pay the extra delivery charges blah blah blah... cheap Paddy labour blah blah ...
    Just thad to bite my tongue - I needed her business a lot more than she needed me tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

jester77 wrote: »
    Someone once thought I was English :eek:

I used to get that all the time in Munich, really got to me after a while. Especially when they thought it they would be ruder that usual.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

In England twice was called a leprechaun, both times by scousers. Exceeded many many times over by friendliness and welcoming on other occasions though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭number10a

Fart wrote: »
    I got called a "West Brit" on After Hours once. :(

But you live in Wales. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭LK_Dave

Got called a blood-clot once in Harlesden once by a drunk black guy. Being around the world and got called Paddy, Irish or IRA loads of times. Never worried me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

In England twice was called a leprechaun, both times by scousers. Exceeded many many times over by friendliness and welcoming on other occasions though.

ah scousers more than likely have at least one irish grandparent too:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

John Doe1 wrote: »
    ah scousers more than likely have at least one irish grandparent too:rolleyes:

the second one did as was pointed out to him shortly afterwards. he was promptly removed from the wedding :D.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 lignum

I was in Heathrow one day to heading to the US and two cops came up to me and said " alright paddy got any bombs on ya" I said no theyre in my checked bag.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭mongdesade

PSNI officer took offence to a tricolor on my backpack after coming off a ferry at Larne, told me to "F**k off back to my own country"...
    "Gladly" I replied, "soon as you f**k off back to yours !" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Fart

number10a wrote: »
    But you live in Wales. :confused:

"Live" for the time being. It doesn't mean I'm from Wales.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

LK_Dave wrote: »
    Got called a blood-clot once in Harlesden once by a drunk black guy.

I've never heard that. What does it mean? Is it racial?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,997 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Ghandee wrote: »
    I got called 'white monkey' once in Cape Town by a big black woman, wearing a thing like a fruit basket on her head :eek:

I cried me eyes out!

Wouldn't she give you a banana?

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Been called a free state bastard by a few nordies. Been called Paddy a few times when I lived in the UK, but it was more banter then abuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    LK_Dave wrote: »
    Got called a blood-clot once in Harlesden once by a drunk black guy. Being around the world and got called Paddy, Irish or IRA loads of times. Never worried me.
    I've never heard that. What does it mean? Is it racial?
    Maybe it was a slightly cryptic reference to the high incidence of cardiovascular disease suffered by those of Celtic origin, especially in Scotland & Ireland

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭yupyup7up

In Gran Canaria I had to go to the shop to get something for my then other half.

There was a black guy trying to sell me sunglasses and that kinda sh!te and I said that I was grand so he kept at it. Eventually I just walked away from him, and he said "Paddy! Paddy! Come back you f*cking paddy!"

It took all my self restraint not to say something racist towards him, so instead I stopped and turned around and walked back towards him and asked him aggressively what the f*ck he was calling me and he walked off fairly quick. what a d!ckhead :rolleyes:

Advertisement