Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

beef price tracker

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

simx wrote: »
    Sometimes kill cows that have enough flesh or near enough that in theory should leave something if going with a load, best cow I ever had to do a quick turn bought on Thursday evening for 720+15 commission, left in mart overnight, wasn't home eating anything till dinner time Friday, was killed following tues am and came into €960 after stoppages, if only they were all like that, had one go on last load that Ya think would be safe enough to leave money and after all is accounted will lose about €15/20

At least I'm not the only one breaking even/losing money on the few! But you did super with the other one. A few of them here and there would keep ya ticking over nicely.
    R grade cows sould be at least 3.70/75 this week id assume? Hard enough buy them at moment though, they are hot stuff in the marts

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭simx

At least I'm not the only one breaking even/losing money on the few! But you did super with the other one. A few of them here and there would keep ya ticking over nicely.
    R grade cows sould be at least 3.70/75 this week id assume? Hard enough buy them at moment though, they are hot stuff in the marts

Buying to direct slaughter is a tough buisness, know a lad that bought 4 cows last week and brought straight to factory, he told me that after all expenses/stoppages he had 150€ clear, and he doesn't get cut at all if under 270kg as he sends so many cows to this factory, ridiculous in marts at moment can't buy at all, only have 15 feeder cows at moment and Dont see how I'm going to get grass cows at value at all, I wouldn't sell an r Grade below 3.75 anyway, can get 3.40 freely for a p grade, that cow I gave an example of was a 1 in a 100 cow type of scenario, she was at a sucklers sale and was 3 months in calf, whicj wouldn't affect kill out really, but she was solid in back two quarters with mastitis so suckler men didn't really like the look of that I reckon, was fine for my job though

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Crossakiel

Its amazing that they are still discussing how to "fix" the beef industry, soon enough beef prices will be high enough and all discussions will finish with no change!

http://www.agriland.ie/news/call-flat-rate-beef-payments-option-explored/

http://www.agriland.ie/news/ireland-rises-5th-beef-price-league-table/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭restive

4.15 base Kepak

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,635 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Strong sterling vs euro should be making a difference too, no doubt when it goes the other way factories won't be slow to use it as a lever to drop the price. Does anyone here kill cattle across the border?

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 247 ✭✭primary 2

restive wrote: »
    4.15 base Kepak

steers or heifers.does age make a difference and what were u quoted last week?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭restive

Steers. I did not get a quote last week. Mine were 29 months. I do not know if the deduct for overage cattle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

No such thing as overage these days (unless maybe they are over 36 months). No such thing as overweight cattle no problem with bulls (any age). As long as they can walk off a lorry they will be happy to take them and happy to pay a half decent price too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,851 ✭✭✭mf240

Any one got a price for o grade cows this week?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭simx

mf240 wrote: »

3.45 should be got and maybe 3.50 of you have a few and they are good o grades

• Advertisement

Got 3.50 last week so should be up a small bit

Got 3.50 last week so should be up a small bit

had an agent on to me tonight wanting to know when would i be willing to sell,he said we wont be able to negotiate a price till i am ready to sell,he was giving a base of 4 00 on sathurday the 17, 4 10 if they were underage,i asked him have things improved much since,he said they have strenghted a little bit,are overage cattle been knocked that much?all under 35 months

• Registered Users Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

primary 2 wrote: »
    had an agent on to me tonight wanting to know when would i be willing to sell,he said we wont be able to negotiate a price till i am ready to sell,he was giving a base of 4 00 on sathurday the 17, 4 10 if they were underage,i asked him have things improved much since,he said they have strenghted a little bit,are overage cattle been knocked that much?all under 35 months

I say you would get 4.10 of a base at least this week. No issue with cattle up to 36 months and they might take 2-3 over 36 months if you had a load.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭AP2014

I say you would get 4.10 of a base at least this week. No issue with cattle up to 36 months and they might take 2-3 over 36 months if you had a load.

Is this not against the whole QA rules? Does it not make the QA more of a farce than it already is?

i think the reason why we wont give a price is because when he does he knows i am going to ring a few more lads to compare his price,i have a good few to sell so i might be in a stronger position to deal,do you think they will rise another bit next week?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

i think the reason why we wont give a price is because when he does he knows i am going to ring a few more lads to compare his price,i have a good few to sell so i might be in a stronger position to deal,do you think they will rise another bit next week?

if you can hold out for 4 or 5 weeks it will pay you the word is.

Willfarman wrote: »
    if you can hold out for 4 or 5 weeks it will pay you the word is.

a week or two is the most i can wait need the space,do you reckon they will rise much in the month?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭orm0nd

neighbour has a double going to slaney to morrow , €4.20 flat for mixed under/over age , hex and aax (steers)

AP2014 wrote: »
    Is this not against the whole QA rules? Does it not make the QA more of a farce than it already is?

Talking about a base price no QA. You will get no QA bonus except the almighty 3 euro on cattle over 30 months. It a matter of squezing as many as possible into a high a base as possible. Squeezed away a 40 months bullock in with 5 sub 36 month friesian last week. He was 450kgs DW it was some squeeze in the trailer

• Advertisement

Talking about a base price no QA. You will get no QA bonus except the almighty 3 euro on cattle over 30 months. It a matter of squezing as many as possible into a high a base as possible. Squeezed away a 40 months bullock in with 5 sub 36 month friesian last week. He was 450kgs DW it was some squeeze in the trailer

Ah sorry, are you getting much of a qa bonus for the under 30 month guys so on top of those base prices? Thats some size bullock. Was he a friesian?

AP2014 wrote: »
    Ah sorry, are you getting much of a qa bonus for the under 30 month guys so on top of those base prices? Thats some size bullock. Was he a friesian?

12c/kg on cattle that grade above O= subject to fat score. Big lump of a HO bullock, graded O-. It a while since I had a lump of a beast like him came in with a job lot nearly two years ago. Was too much of a penelty to sell him all summer long. Shoved him and a few more into the shed as price was too poor in November am offloading at present.

orm0nd wrote: »
    neighbour has a double going to slaney to morrow , €4.20 flat for mixed under/over age , hex and aax (steers)

what base price are slaney giving for steers could you find out and do they penalise overage cattle?have some hex to go myself

12c/kg on cattle that grade above O= subject to fat score. Big lump of a HO bullock, graded O-. It a while since I had a lump of a beast like him came in with a job lot nearly two years ago. Was too much of a penelty to sell him all summer long. Shoved him and a few more into the shed as price was too poor in November am offloading at present.

Nice, brave move holding on to them and not giving them away. Hopefully worked out well.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,186 ✭✭✭✭Base price

I have a FR bull... .ock ;) that is over age with a wonky hind leg.
    He had a injury in his offside hock that prevented us from selling him with his comrades earlier last year.
    Hoping to get him to a factory on all fours next week or the week after :)

a week or two is the most i can wait need the space,do you reckon they will rise much in the month?

Talks of a big lift anyway. You'd sell a cardboard cut out of a forward store at the minute. It's great to see a bit of a buzz in the thing again all the same lads.

Did you get a flat price?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

Talks of a big lift anyway. You'd sell a cardboard cut out of a forward store at the minute. It's great to see a bit of a buzz in the thing again all the same lads.

The problem is when they are fit to be killed there is no point feeding them on longer as they are only putting down fat. I'd love to wait another month before killing what I've left but I think they will have to go next week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭onyerbikepat

I hope it's a sign of things to come but you'd have to wonder is it down to backlash from the low prices all along, what with guys not finishing young bulls and all that. There's simple a shortage of finished animals.
    You'd like to think it is a sign of things to come in the longterm. Fingers crossed.

• Advertisement

i was hoping to buy back a few more bullocks around march.520 to 540 kgs but they will be hard to buy now

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement