Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

beef price tracker

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,090 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Once again they were caught offside

Jokes on you mate.
    The article I posted is on tuesdays farming indo.
    As yet another Beef Plan conspiracy theory bites the dust...eh
    You must think that factories care what we think

• Registered Users Posts: 18,245 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

wrangler wrote: »
    Jokes on you mate.
    The article I posted is on tuesdays farming indo.
    As yet another Beef Plan conspiracy theory bites the dust...eh
    You must think that factories care what we think

The article on the link you posted is was put up today at 2.30 look for yourself mate just like an agriland article was put up as well mate so it funny, not funny ha ha but funny peculiar

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 11,090 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

The article on the link you posted is was put up today at 2.30 look for yourself mate just like an agriland article was put up as well mate so it funny, not funny ha ha but funny peculiar

Agriland always post beef price article from the Indo later in the week

• Registered Users Posts: 21,187 ✭✭✭✭Water John

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Water John wrote: »
    March 12 2020 02:30 AM

That would be 13 hours before wrangler posted his link, lads.

Calm down or take a break.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Jjameson

I’m not sure the factories needed to put out any whispers or even put out any at all.
    We are all afraid.
    Talk of all the what ifs is the talk everywhere and the guy who put the first post up isn’t too far off. Slaney meats has 900 employees alone. A few gob****es from bunclody in self isolation after holidaying in northern Italy. There’s plenty of “what if talk” and it isn’t slaney procurement lads spreading it!

If you have fit cattle book them in is my advice as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

Are people on here for real?
    Supermarket shelves stripped bare of all types of beef.....demand unprecedented
    Prices will only go one way and that’s up..
    Farmers will be doing well to keep factories supplied.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Lad that works in a chicken factory i know said that orders are up 300%, mad too, youd think that people wilould be eating the same amount haha

• Registered Users Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

People are pure made, I believe electrical shops cant keep chest freezers in stock.
    Panic buying and in a few months then people will be flinging the lot out..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Dozer1

Shhh, I need a cheap s/h freezer don't be telling people its crazy to buy new ones

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭MIKEKC

BENDYBINN wrote: »

People are all stocked up, so won't need any more for a while. Why should prices go up?

MIKEKC wrote: »
    People are all stocked up, so won't need any more for a while. Why should prices go up?

Yea all the shops are going to be empty tomorrow....everyone is all stocked up......the government should hire you!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭ruwithme

Easy bendy, you have me heart racing reading that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭MIKEKC

Yea all the shops are going to be empty tomorrow....everyone is all stocked up......the government should hire you!!

Crowds much smaller today, must be all stocked up. No improvement in cattle prices for next week

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Hershall

MIKEKC wrote: »
    Crowds much smaller today, must be all stocked up. No improvement in cattle prices for next week

Local here has pulled the quote by 5 cent for tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 2,566 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

I hear Bulls are back 10 cent from last week. This is the start of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Not a good indicator for beef prices in the short term.
    https://twitter.com/farmersjournal/status/1240576970611740673?s=19

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Cavanjack wrote: »
    I hear Bulls are back 10 cent from last week. This is the start of it.

All the lads that left the shed empty this winter can feel happy so.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

blue5000 wrote: »

Their fields mighty be empty for the summer as well!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,187 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Well the cattle have to be somewhere?

• Advertisement

Water John wrote: »
    Well the cattle have to be somewhere?

They will be stayin where they are.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,566 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

blue5000 wrote: »

The 40k kill last week doesn’t suggest too many left them empty. A couple of thousand calves included in that ok but still.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭Panch18

McDonalds are closing all Irish outlets tomorrow

Biggest purchaser Of beef in Ireland I believe

This can’t be good for beef price

• Closed Accounts Posts: 604 ✭✭✭TooOldBoots

Panch18 wrote: »

By the time this virus is gone we will be facing into more Brexit uncertainty. This should mean Beef will be on its knees again by the end of the Summer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭morphy87

Not good I’d agree, but hopefully more people will eat burgers at home,quick and easy to cook and if you are going to McDonald’s and purchase a burger but if you go to a shop you more than likely will buy a pack, maybe six in a pack unless your dealing with a butcher, was talking to a butcher Friday he was never so busy, never sold as many Sunday roasts for this weekend in his career, so maybe the hit might not be to bad

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭RightTurnClyde

McDonalds UK aswell 1270 outlets.
    Not good

• Registered Users Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭Good loser

By the time this virus is gone we will be facing into more Brexit uncertainty. This should mean Beef will be on its knees again by the end of the Summer

I think now that the Brexit hit will be pushed into next year.

Short term the sterling collapse will be significant.

McDonalds UK aswell 1270 outlets.
    Not good

It hard to know what way food consumption will go. Fishing fleets are in port as at last auction fish were making less than the diesel cost to catch. All the talk is burger consumption will decline McD's closing and no burger after the Saturday soccer match. No steaks because restaurants closed.
    Question is what will replace all these proteins. Chicken??. There is s lot of that sold by fast food joints and ready cooked out of Chinese and deli's in shops/supermarket's. However most of that comes from Thailand.
    I think beef will hold its own. Supermarkets will not replace chicken on shelves sourced from EU farms with Asian product. Chinese demand for pork and chicken will raise again as crisis seems to be over there at present. If fish remains scarce beef should at least hold it own. Steaks are no longer expensive in shops. Pubs closed. Bolanaise on Tuesday, a couple of steaks on Thursday, Roast on Sunday as no trip to the shops or Grandparents, and leftover's on Monday or for sannies during the week. There might even be s bit for the dog or cat.

Slava Ukrainii

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

It hard to know what way food consumption will go. Fishing fleets are in port as at last auction fish were making less than the diesel cost to catch. All the talk is burger consumption will decline McD's closing and no burger after the Saturday soccer match. No steaks because restaurants closed.
    Question is what will replace all these proteins. Chicken??. There is s lot of that sold by fast food joints and ready cooked out of Chinese and deli's in shops/supermarket's. However most of that comes from Thailand.
    I think beef will hold its own. Supermarkets will not replace chicken on shelves sourced from EU farms with Asian product. Chinese demand for pork and chicken will raise again as crisis seems to be over there at present. If fish remains scarce beef should at least hold it own. Steaks are no longer expensive in shops. Pubs closed. Bolanaise on Tuesday, a couple of steaks on Thursday, Roast on Sunday as no trip to the shops or Grandparents, and leftover's on Monday or for sannies during the week. There might even be s bit for the dog or cat.
    In the last recession, the cheap meat got dear and the dear meet got cheap.by that i mean people when they have little money will buy the cheaper type of meat so i think it will all come down to price per kilo.if chicken is the cheapest it will boom but if beef is the dearest it will get cheaper.i m not sure which is the most expensive to the consumer but iknow that beef is the most expensive to produce here.beef farmers are making nothing at 3.60 a kilo where as the break even for pigs is around half that or less.google tells me chicken is around 1.70 a kilo.so reading from that the outlook mightn't be great.it all depends on how much effect this has on the world economy.the truth is i dont have a bulls notion how all this is going to pan out though

• Advertisement

K.G. wrote: »
    In the last recession, the cheap meat got dear and the dear meet got cheap.by that i mean people when they have little money will buy the cheaper type of meat so i think it will all come down to price per kilo.if chicken is the cheapest it will boom but if beef is the dearest it will get cheaper.i m not sure which is the most expensive to the consumer but iknow that beef is the most expensive to produce here.beef farmers are making nothing at 3.60 a kilo where as the break even for pigs is around half that or less.google tells me chicken is around 1.70 a kilo.so reading from that the outlook mightn't be great.it all depends on how much effect this has on the world economy.the truth is i dont have a bulls notion how all this is going to pan out though

In a normal recession people have way less money to spend. Admittedly I am only looking at the short term. In the short term a lot people will be working from home spending less on diesel and on latte's. Government's are paying larger income supports, no pubs and no social gathering.

It interesting that at present you cannot buy flour in shop's. Is this because people are so badly off they have to do there own baking. With more time on there hands and more mini for alot of people buying decent food may be the luxury they choose

Slava Ukrainii

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement