Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

beef price tracker

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,451 ✭✭✭Jb1989

Base price wrote: »
    WTF - you shouldn't be allowed to keep livestock :mad:

They light animals and vet will do

• Registered Users Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Jb1989 wrote: »
    They light animals and vet will do
    There ain't a Vet in the country that would do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,376 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Hi base, what do you mean in your first part, is their a want for under 30 bulls atm? Have a few bulls touching 30 months, either have to take a hit or cut them and go to grass for under 36.

While the Chinese may take forequarters there is no god priced market for rest of animal. Factories might allow 1 or 2 that were just over 24 months on a load. But trying to sell as a load is impossible.

The thrive must have been brutal if they are still light enough to squeeze.

Slava Ukrainii

Base price wrote: »
    Steaks from the majority of dairy crosses are suitable for the Irish and UK supermarket trade.

Yes but very few dairy cross cattle are continuing on as bulls. Because if AA and HE premium the vast majority of these breeds are made bullocks of.you may have some Contenental dairy crossed but most bulls now are suckle bred or FR. I imagine if you had any bulls under 24 months with adequate FS and killing below 380 average/load you get good prices for thrm

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Fireside Solicitor

We kept bulls for a few years. If you have 30 month ones fit to squeeze are you sure they are bulls? You could of course castrate them but you watch the effect it will have at that age. You'll give a lot of money to a vet to do it and keep them right. No vet here would do that.

• Advertisement

We kept bulls for a few years. If you have 30 month ones fit to squeeze are you sure they are bulls? You could of course castrate them but you watch the effect it will have at that age. You'll give a lot of money to a vet to do it and keep them right. No vet here would do that.

A lot depends on there weight and present diet. If they are sub 500 kgs and not fleshy there should be no issue. If being fed at present I would not advise

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Jjameson

While the Chinese may take forequarters there is no god priced market for rest of animal. Factories might allow 1 or 2 that were just over 24 months on a load. But trying to sell as a load is impossible.

Cut is not squeeze!

They’d never look back provided they were going to grass and before blowfly were about. Takes a long time for a big bull to lose the bullish features though. They never totally do.

Jjameson wrote: »
    Cut is not squeeze!

Nobody cuts animals any longer. I have seen animals squeezed up at near 500 kgs. If done right they shrink very slowly. TBH they should have been done six months ago. Too many lads have no understanding of the limitation of age.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

Nobody cuts animals any longer. I have seen animals squeezed up at near 500 kgs. If done right they shrink very slowly. TBH they should have been done six months ago. Too many lads have no understanding of the limitation of age.

There was a world of heavy bulls cut round here last spring. 500+ types

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭DukeCaboom

Cavanjack wrote: »
    There was a world of heavy bulls cut round here last spring. 500+ types

Down here too cutting would be popular.

Plenty of it around here too for the ones that got away!

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭locha

Had an agent call me Saturday. 3.65 base for Steers.

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭1373

locha wrote: »
    Had an agent call me Saturday. 3.65 base for Steers.

Sent a load of o/r u24 fr bulls on Thursday and got 3.65 flat . They wanted them next morning, so they’re well able to pay when stuck

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭weatherbyfoxer

quoted 365 + 20c AA bonus for Angus steers for this week...seems to be great demand for Angus but not as pushed for continentals

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

I don’t know where you get that. Vets round here consider cutting by far the better option for stronger bulls

I don’t know where you get that. Vets round here consider cutting by far the better option for stronger bulls

Well local vet will use budizzer on heavy bulls. The next option is banding which is risky as set back can be massive. I have not seen a bull physically cut in 30 years and have seen bulls up to 500 kgs squeezed

Slava Ukrainii

Thought that alright, ah few small framed cattle just.

Yes I'm sure Yea I know they would loose weight unfortunately, trying to get away without it on this occasion.

Jjameson wrote: »
    They’d never look back provided they were going to grass and before blowfly were about. Takes a long time for a big bull to lose the bullish features though. They never totally do.

True enough on features, and yes. If done early for grass it be OK

• Advertisement

Agreed, there a few good oldies around here that can do a very clean job, useing the stick as stitches method.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

Agreed, there a few good oldies around here that can do a very clean job, useing the stick as stitches method.

Other way here. It’s the young vets that are more likely to cut (all the young vets round here worked in England for a time. Don’t know if that’s a factor

Other way here. It’s the young vets that are more likely to cut (all the young vets round here worked in England for a time. Don’t know if that’s a factor

Ah that could be, no young vets in my practice, but there you are, more cutting happening than thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭Count Mondego

Well local vet will use budizzer on heavy bulls. The next option is banding which is risky as set back can be massive.

What's the risk with banding? I asked a vet a few months ago and he claimed that it's really catching on. Even said they're fine to do in the shed once they get the tetanus shot beforehand. More reliable and easier to administer than Burdizzo i would have thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭DukeCaboom

I think vets push banding because it's alot easier for them.

What's the risk with banding? I asked a vet a few months ago and he claimed that it's really catching on. Even said they're fine to do in the shed once they get the tetanus shot beforehand. More reliable and easier to administer than Burdizzo i would have thought.

It has a limited window of application. If flies are prevelant they will lay eggs in the rotting sac. It will take the sac 6+weeks to rot away not sure if I would want that happening on slats. Cattle tend to be stiffer for longer.

Using rubber ring on Calves is grand it the banding where there is a substantial sac that is the issue

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

1373 wrote: »
    Sent a load of o/r u24 fr bulls on Thursday and got 3.65 flat . They wanted them next morning, so they’re well able to pay when stuck

Who was paying that for them? If that’s the case 3.85 should be available for u grade bulls.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭Base price

It has a limited window of application. If flies are prevelant they will lay eggs in the rotting sac. It will take the sac 6+weeks to rot away not sure if I would want that happening on slats. Cattle tend to be stiffer for longer.

Using rubber ring on Calves is grand it the banding where there is a substantial sac that is the issue
    We toyed with the idea of banding c.20+/- month old FR/HEx/FRx bulls a couple of years ago. At the time I asked about it here on F&F before consulting our Vet as I thought it would be an easier option on both the animal and operator vis a vie using the burdizzo. Our Vet wasn't a fan of banding bulls that had reached sexual maturity due to the prolonged irritation of the band before the nerve endings to the sack are severed. We never discussed cutting them as it is something that I associate with prebubescent colts and I would not be in favour with selectively cutting young bulls unless there was a health or welfare issue that required same.

We lost money on that batch of bulls when they went to the factory but the BEAM scheme offset some of those losses.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭oneten

Banded 28 month old purebred limousin bull a few years ago, vet advised giving him a shot of the blackleg vaccine and crack on, no visible discomfort, stayed thriving, killed out 500 kgs, I thought it was a super job. I might have made a mistake telling the agent what i was doing because even though I got base price for him I got no grade bonus because he apparently cut dark.
    I know it was only one animal and a good 'un at that, but with no apparent discomfort for the animal , it seemed a good job

edit ; killed 1 day short of thirty months

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

Would it work well to band Fr bulls just turning 12mths. Still in house but hopefully start going out in the next 2-3 wks. Less risk of flies

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement