Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

beef price tracker

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭memorystick

DukeCaboom wrote: »
    I think vets push banding because it's alot easier for them.

I had to get the vet back out to a lad. It didn’t fall off fully and a big knob of proud flesh grew down. Dirty looking yolk.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,417 ✭✭✭High bike

Would it work well to band Fr bulls just turning 12mths. Still in house but hopefully start going out in the next 2-3 wks. Less risk of flies
    why would u not just squeeze them instead and let em off to grass,have done it here many times at 12 mts and they never looked back

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭weatherbyfoxer

could you put the orange rubber bands on bought in month old calves or does it have to be done at a few days old?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,268 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Banded yearlings twice. Thought it was a good job, no stress or setback. Would only do on animals at grass. Wouldn't burdizzo either indoors. A neighbour lost a couple on slats. Saw the swelling, had them treated by the vet, dead in forty eight hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

Any improvement in prices for the week ahead?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭leoch

Still 3.75 base for heifers ....do all factories not pay the xtra 10cents (think its the china payment might be wrong or called something else)for heifers dead over 380 kgs ???

• Registered Users Posts: 4,264 ✭✭✭Robson99

Heifers still 3.65 in some places

some plants offering a 20c angus bonus at the moment on bullocks and heifers on o= or better anyone with a few should try avail of it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭DukeCaboom

330 r cows

• Registered Users Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Jjameson

some plants offering a 20c angus bonus at the moment on bullocks and heifers on o= or better anyone with a few should try avail of it

They have the grading machines well in tune. Plenty of O- guaranteed.

• Advertisement

Jjameson wrote: »
    They have the grading machines well in tune. Plenty of O- guaranteed.

killed a few load now and got it on all of them..wont make u up but got paid 387c on aa x fr bullocks so could be worse bearing the current beef situation

killed a few load now and got it on all of them..wont make u up but got paid 387c on aa x fr bullocks so could be worse bearing the current beef situation

You done extraordinarily well. Which factory?

You done extraordinarily well. Which factory?

dawn

• Registered Users Posts: 18,376 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

What was the base price.at 3.87 average less AA bond bring the price back to 3.67 which is the O- price with 20c QA on a base of 3.65

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 21,268 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Heard that factories were trying to pull back price. Has anyone heard anything?

Water John wrote: »
    Heard that factories were trying to pull back price. Has anyone heard anything?

Got rid of a load of bulls during the week. Rang Monday and they were killed Tuesday. They seem keen for stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭ruwithme

Would imagine like any purchaser there's always that line of thinking in them

ruwithme wrote: »
    Would imagine like any purchaser there's always that line of thinking in them

Yeah and they often drop the price when cattle are becoming scarce

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭Dozer1

Quoted 3.65 for heifers in ABP but they'll do me a favour and take them any day next week.

:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭CHOPS01

What's the punishment for dirty cattle going to factory. 2 lads here I might get away in the next week or 2 but they are fairly dirty

• Advertisement

CHOPS01 wrote: »
    What's the punishment for dirty cattle going to factory. 2 lads here I might get away in the next week or 2 but they are fairly dirty

€4 a piece. It’s hit or miss weather they clipp them or not.

CHOPS01 wrote: »
    5€ clipping charge on the majority of cattle out of the shed. As long as they are dry and reasonable.

5€ clipping charge on the majority of cattle out of the shed. As long as they are dry and reasonable.

If you push with the agent generally clipping will not be charged

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭ruwithme

If you push with the agent generally clipping will not be charged

Sounds like a fiver less for the agent

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

I've a few in calf cull cows here, high cell count, I was going to let them calve and then get them killed straight away, is there any issues with this does anyone know?

ruwithme wrote: »
    Sounds like a fiver less for the agent

No it a case when they will give nothing else they will concede on the clipping.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭tanko

I've a few in calf cull cows here, high cell count, I was going to let them calve and then get them killed straight away, is there any issues with this does anyone know?

I'd send any cow to the mart before going near a factory at the moment.

None but they will ko very poorly is the only issue. But do not try fatten them with the calf on board as I’m sure you know.

None but they will ko very poorly is the only issue. But do not try fatten them with the calf on board as I’m sure you know.
    If you're referring to big calves, we never had a problem yet over the years anyway, wouldn't even expect to put on ropes. Maybe it's different for mature dairy cows and relatively easy calving bulls. They're well fat now, 3+ /4, on 4 kgs all winter.

• Advertisement

tanko wrote: »
    I'd send any cow to the mart before going near a factory at the moment.
    Out of respect to the old dears, I wouldn't be letting them near the cull cow ring to finish their days.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement