Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

beef price tracker

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Jjameson

Cavanjack wrote: »
    That’s a fair drop in a week. Worse yet to come probably

There is a bit of turbulence coming but after the weather woes 2018, and then the Brexit profiteering last year beef finishing farmers have shown they are independently wealthy! Store cattle never showed the market reality and there’s no talk of much unpaid bills.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

What’s u18 month bulls making?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

What’s u18 month bulls making?

3.60 for u grades last week

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Duke92

Jjameson wrote: »
    There is a bit of turbulence coming but after the weather woes 2018, and then the Brexit profiteering last year beef finishing farmers have shown they are independently wealthy! Store cattle never showed the market reality and there’s no talk of much unpaid bills.

Don’t where you get that idea from I still owe 6 k for 2018
    I think If you asked the merchants you’d get a different view lots of ppl still haven’t paid there bills in full since 18
    The only saving was store could be bought for feck all in October November last year

Duke92 wrote: »
    Don’t where you get that idea from I still owe 6 k for 2018
    I think If you asked the merchants you’d get a different view lots of ppl still haven’t paid there bills in full since 18
    The only saving was store could be bought for feck all in October November last year

Hardly an idea. Merchants are owed more from dairy farmers than beef farmers in the south east. I seen no store cattle for feck all last November? I seen plenty of big out of spec cattle sold for feck all all right. Pensions, big sfp and independent income all subsidise beef finishing. Farmers made liars of the protests.

Cattle still coming rain hail or shine no matter the price. Doesn’t seem to matter.

• Advertisement

Heard Monday’s quotes €3:50

Hardly an idea. Merchants are owed more from dairy farmers than beef farmers in the south east. I seen no store cattle for feck all last November? I seen plenty of big out of spec cattle sold for feck all all right. Pensions, big sfp and independent income all subsidise beef finishing. Farmers made liars of the protests.

Cattle still coming rain hail or shine no matter the price. Doesn’t seem to matter.

Obviously they they have higher meal bills and fert
    Compared to the hobby beef farmers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭Dunedin

Have to back on strike.........

Dunedin wrote: »

Thank god with covid 19 we won’t have them out to make things even worse

Not at all. Any price will do as long as you can get them sold. Just need the marts open to replace them. Let away a big one cheap and buy back the small ones dear!

Seriously though, word of uk retail beef flying however there only one winner there. I thought Justin’s piece in the journal was fairly well thought out this week but no doubt it certainly won’t be acted on in any organised way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭Dunedin

Calm down, only joking. Staying safe and alive is the goal at the minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭kk.man

Not at all. Any price will do as long as you can get them sold. Just need the marts open to replace them. Let away a big one cheap and buy back the small ones dear!

Seriously though, word of uk retail beef flying however there only one winner there. I thought Justin’s piece in the journal was fairly well thought out this week but no doubt it certainly won’t be acted on in any organised way.

I was disappointed with his editorial tbh.

He was calling for intervention for dairy and stating the consequences of a collapse in income for the milk producer. I don't recall him calling for intervention for beef during the protests and the beef farmer still enduring bad prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,064 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

kk.man wrote: »

He was calling for intervention for dairy and stating the consequences of a collapse in income for the milk producer. I don't recall him calling for intervention for beef during the protests and the beef farmer still enduring bad prices.

The Irish haven't a great record with beef intervention, don't think there'll ever be intervention here again

• Registered Users Posts: 18,187 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

wrangler wrote: »
    The Irish beef processors haven't a great record with beef intervention, don't think there'll ever be intervention here again

Corrected that for you

Slava Ukrainii

kk.man wrote: »

The expenses and workload of dairying is different to beef and Sfp and oap pensions won’t let it float on over what’s coming I fear. No millionaire business men with a few jerseys milking for the enjoyment.. any intervention or subsidisation for beef ends up with the barons/retailers.
    Not so with dairy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭MfMan

Heard only want / taking < 400Kg dead. Funny, didn't hear about the 3,4 month period of notice for this.

Corrected that for you

No mistake, you've just led a sheltered life.
    Weren't farmers caught out during the foot and mouth cull. they could have the same sheep at numerous inspection but they couldn't slaughter/cull them any more than once.

MfMan wrote: »
    Heard only want / taking < 400Kg dead. Funny, didn't hear about the 3,4 month period of notice for this.

Yea, I laughed when I heard that being agreed.
    Customer sets the specs and they're always right

• Registered Users Posts: 18,187 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

No mistake, you've just led a sheltered life.
    Weren't farmers caught out during the foot and mouth cull. they could have the same sheep at numerous inspection but they couldn't slaughter/cull them any more than once.

You made a statement about intervention and I corrected it. There will always be a small minority in any profession that act illegally whether it be solicitors, builders or farmers.

However where at timers virtually the whole industry has acted illegally as in the horsemeat scandal or what happened with intervention is unusual. You blamed all Irish, not those responsible for the intervention saga. No point now throwing a different story into the pot

Slava Ukrainii

You made a statement about intervention and I corrected it. There will always be a small minority in any profession that act illegally whether it be solicitors, builders or farmers.

However where at timers virtually the whole industry has acted illegally as in the horsemeat scandal or what happened with intervention is unusual. You blamed all Irish, not those responsible for the intervention saga. No point now throwing a different story into the pot

Just highlighting that our sector needn't take the high moral ground, I could tell you lots of different stories in my experiences

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,219 ✭✭✭tanko

Just highlighting that our sector needn't take the high moral ground, I could tell you lots of different stories in my experiences

Can you tell us the story about how your beef baron buddies couldn't tell the difference between horses and cattle?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 juniorfarmer

tanko wrote: »
    Can you tell us the story about how your beef baron buddies couldn't tell the difference between horses and cattle?
    I can. They forgot to collect their specsavers prescriptions for the previous few months earlier and <Mod snip>

tanko wrote: »

And our public (dis)service let them away with it, why wouldn't they take advantage,

I can. They forgot to collect their specsavers prescriptions for the previous few months earlier <Mod snip>
    [/B]

Was just saying that to the dogs this morning, 10k walk with them this morning,not bad for a pensioner
    Beef processors can't be all bad, a lot of farmers seem to sell to them

• Registered Users Posts: 29,127 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

[/B]

Was just saying that to the dogs this morning, 10k walk with them this morning,not bad for a pensioner
    Beef processors can't be all bad, a lot of farmers seem to sell to them

Hope you didn't go further than 2km from home

whelan2 wrote: »
    Hope you didn't go further than 2km from home

I have a 6.5k circuit that I seldom meet anyone on, and don't need leads or pooh bags for the dogs. I walk it every morning, did most of it again because it was such a nice morning, we winter four rams nearby so have to drive that far anyway to feed them, ;)
    The road we live on is too busy with walkers these days

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

MOD NOTE juniorfarmer don't post in this thread for 24 hours. In the meantime have a read of the charter.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭MfMan

Or as I said before how they brought lamb in from the north in the dead of night at the time of the foot-and-mouth crisis....

• Registered Users Posts: 21,140 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Every dog on the street knew about the Scottish lamb. But it took a certain Tipperary lady to nail it. So many didn't want to know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,157 ✭✭✭✭Base price

MfMan wrote: »
    Or as I said before how they brought lamb in from the north in the dead of night at the time of the foot-and-mouth crisis....
    Reminds me of the Garda operation code named Oxblood. A cattle dealer from Meath was jailed for 3 years due to cattle tag irregularities during the FMD crisis.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement