Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Graduate jobs in the civil service (AO)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 oran12

No I didnt go around asking them, I know them personally secondly, Im not talking about the assessment, Im talking about the interview stage. Who are they going to hire someone with over 4 or 5 years relevant experience or someone whos just out of college? If the job spec said graduates then shouldn't it just be graduates and not people who have way more experience than your average grad!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,148 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

oran12 wrote: »
    No I didnt go around asking them, I know them personally secondly, Im not talking about the assessment, Im talking about the interview stage. Who are they going to hire someone with over 4 or 5 years relevant experience or someone whos just out of college? If the job spec said graduates then shouldn't it just be graduates and not people who have way more experience than your average grad!

You know older people can be recent graduates too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭macfhinn

When are the results?

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭Who_8_Paul?

I think now more than ever the Government through the public appointments service will be looking for and hiring the best applicants for the job, not that it's really ever different from that in any recruitment campaign, public or private sector. Link below regarding the new IGEES which will be taking in some AO's in May:

http://per.gov.ie/2012/03/06/minister-howlin-announces-establishment-of-new-government-economic-and-evaluation-service/

So you think they should take on fresh graduates with 0 years experience rather than a graduate of whatever years ago with a number of years relevant experience? Right...

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭aidom

I was given the sitting tomorrow at 9:30 but I haven't been able to get the time off work. Coincidentally I've had Friday booked off for a few months so I'm hoping to turn up and take the test on Friday morning.

Has anyone turned up for a session different then what they were given?

I rang the public appointments commission and they said it should be fine but I'd like to hear someone else was successful to put my mind at ease!

I also have a plane to catch at 13:25 so glad to hear the session finished at 11:50. I should be able to make it if I jump straight in a taxi and am already checked in with no bags!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭Deco99

So your saying, these people should not be entitled to get these jobs? There's no best before date on a degree so they are more than entitled to go for it, its called fair competition, and if they get someone better than you then thats your tough go find the job they're leaving behind and fill that position, and if there is no job to fill then why should you be more entitled to it than another unemployed person regardless of age or experience. Would love to see how you got on in verbal reasoning... Palm to face.... its been a long day and thats just irked me no end.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,294 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

aidom wrote: »
    I was given the sitting tomorrow at 9:30 but I haven't been able to get the time off work. Coincidentally I've had Friday booked off for a few months so I'm hoping to turn up and take the test on Friday morning.

Has anyone turned up for a session different then what they were given?

I rang the public appointments commission and they said it should be fine but I'd like to hear someone else was successful to put my mind at ease!

I also have a plane to catch at 13:25 so glad to hear the session finished at 11:50. I should be able to make it if I jump straight in a taxi and am already checked in with no bags!

Yes I did it today despite being scheduled for Friday. No hassle, just talk to one of the staff when you get there and she will take your name and give you a number. She started taking names at 9:10 so no point in being there any earlier (I was ther at 8:50:(). There was loads of empty seats so everyone today who wasn'r scheduled for today got to do it.

It may finish earlier on Friday for your flight. I would hope they get better at it as the week goes on:D

Wow you are being serious? So you want the Civil Service to break EU law by discriminating against someone based on their age?
    The job spec sets out the qualifications required. Anyone who has them qualifications can apply.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,219 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Seen a few people there who have been out of college a good few years...its unfair that recent grads have 2 compete against experienced pros

Jesus!

Employers should pick the best people for the job.
    Deco99 wrote: »
    Ya, I agree, like its not you're fault these people dont have jobs or whatever. I mean the jobs should prob be split half and half, and therefore two seperate exams, one for recent grads, and one for people out of college for lets say 3 years or more. Also, the people who are out of college longer should get marked harder cause...... Wait a second! Oh ya, ITS CALLED THE REAL WORLD! NICE TO MEET YA!

You are correct sir.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 mini_cooper

Is there anyone who doesn't have the best maths skills that is a bit worried about the Numerical reasoning section??

I've tried the practice tests but can not get anyway near completing all the questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭nehemiah

Is there anyone who doesn't have the best maths skills that is a bit worried about the Numerical reasoning section??

I've tried the practice tests but can not get anyway near completing all the questions.

They don't really expect you to complete them. You just have to pass which is 50% I believe. I'm not great at Maths but many of the questions are based on observation rather than any advanced level of Maths. There are some basic formulas to work out stuff like percentages that can be learned off pretty quickly.

I have not really used Maths since school but having looked through the sample test a few times I feel more comfortable with they type of questions that I previously had trouble with.

• Advertisement

Aye, I mean from the samples you can cleary see the important stuff is stuff like?

1)If my income was 45 in 2009 but 75 in 2010, what was the % increase?

so 30/45 X 100 = the answer

2) Or if 35% = 45e than what does 55% =

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Graciefacey

Did the assessment today, its much easier than the samples. Had loads of time. The numerical reasoning was v repetitive, the same questions asked a lot! Took me about ten minutes to absorb the shock of the sheer amount of people there. Competition will b fierce. Best of luck everybody yel do great. And as for the person who wants only newly graduated people to get the job, it seems you're worried about the competition. If I was an employer id want the job to go to somebody who has lost their job and whose life would transform by getting a job, not somebody who wouldn't appreciate it or work their ass off. Please stop being so narrow minded and work on your people skills, maybe then you can banish your little man syndrome

I don't agree with your definition of graduate either by the way.

A graduate is somebody with a degree imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 mini_cooper

Thanks for the tips on the math section.

still not looking forward to that section but fingers crossed.

Best of luck to everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 19,148 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Yeah i'm the same. I mean, the Maths themselves are easy as pie, but the time is terrible! I was practicing on the site and there's no way anyone could get anywhere near all of those questions finished in the time provided.

I know that's not the point, but it makes me wonder whether the amount I can get done on the time is even enough?

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Yeah i'm the same. I mean, the Maths themselves are easy as pie, but the time is terrible! I was practicing on the site and there's no way anyone could get anywhere near all of those questions finished in the time provided.

I know that's not the point, but it makes me wonder whether the amount I can get done on the time is even enough?
    The ones on the site are twice as difficult I promise you. I'm terrible at anything like that and I'm v pleased wit today! I no this mightn't b v helpful but if it gets to a stage that ur falling behind and there's no way you can finish in time, take the last 30 seconds to tick random boxes just to make sure Youv them all answered. There's no negative marking. That was my plan b bit thankfully I got through it. Don't worry guys

• Registered Users Posts: 9,029 ✭✭✭Lockstep

Did the assessment today, it different to how I expected and easier than the exam I did for the EU's civil service. Maths part was a doddle, way easier than I anticipated but IIRC, 25% of the marks come from the Verbal Reasoning and 75% from the job simulation.
    There were a fair few empty chairs laid out (I know a few people who just couldn't make it this week) so I dunno how many people just didn't show up.

Anyone any idea how many people get called for an interview?

Lockstep wrote: »
    , 25% of the marks come from the Verbal Reasoning and 75% from the job simulation.

Hah, seriously? I think thats bad news for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭delricyo

Did the assessment today, it different to how I expected and easier than the exam I did for the EU's civil service. Maths part was a doddle, way easier than I anticipated but IIRC, 25% of the marks come from the Verbal Reasoning and 75% from the job simulation.
    There were a fair few empty chairs laid out (I know a few people who just couldn't make it this week) so I dunno how many people just didn't show up.

They wont release that information just yet. I would assume that will be in the results email (like previous competitions)
    I would estimate less than 10% of the 2400 sitting these tests will be called for interview

delricyo wrote: »

They wont release that information just yet. I would assume that will be in the results email (like previous competitions)
    I would estimate less than 10% of the 2400 sitting these tests will be called for interview
    In todays assessment in the hogan suite there were approximately 30 no shows, and also a smaller amount downstairs. Factor these in over the couple of days the tests are being run and I'd imagine the number sitting the tests will be nearer to 2000! Still an incredible number! Gosh even the thoughts of getting to interview stage would be fab!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 wizardmp

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Wow!

Just took the sample maths test on the site! Flew through it (I thought) but was only able to complete 17 questions!

You need 19 correct answers just to pas s it. Jaysus! gonna have to have another few goes.

I did the test Wednsday, the standard of questions were 3 times easier I would say than the sample timed test on the website. The standard was more like the sample questions in the information booklet.

macfhinn wrote: »
    When are the results?

I sat the test yesturday and we were told that the results are out at the end of March but it will be after this that we find out whether or not we get through to the next round.

delricyo wrote: »

well i saw an article in the Indepenent a few weeks ago and it said that there were 1,000 jobs being offered so i think it will be more like 50% that get called for interview

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Skittlebrau

Just out. Agree that the numerical is a lot easier than expected. Verbal was fine too. The job simulation is so subjective. Very hard to know which answers are better regarded.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,029 ✭✭✭Lockstep

wizardmp wrote: »
    well i saw an article in the Indepenent a few weeks ago and it said that there were 1,000 jobs being offered so i think it will be more like 50% that get called for interview

I emailed PublicJobs and it said they have no idea how many jobs are being advertised. IIRC, the Independent article noted that they were to plug the gaps left by over 1000 retirements in the Civil Service. I doubt they'll be filling every position though!

A friend of mine in the Civil Service says AO positions are not numerous to begin with so I dunno how many positions will be there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭Toasterspark

Did it yesterday. Took a little over 2 hours.

Numerical test was easier than the samples, but with all three it'll be time that catches up with you - you literally have to read, make a judgement, answer and move on. I did that and the time was up a minute or two afterwards. Then they'll announce to drop your pens and stop in unison, like they are cops surrounding a terrorist.

For anyone skeptical about the dress code - smart casual or even plain casual is more than enough. Treat it like an exam you'd sit for college. They aren't watching your clothes, honest!

Don't forget to bring an ID and your confirmation email. And you can leave your bag on the floor near your desk (unless it's colossal) and your coat on the back on your chair.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭maupat

If one was lucky enough to make it to the interview stage does anyone know if a panel will be formed on the basis of these interviews...?

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭nehemiah

I emailed PublicJobs and it said they have no idea how many jobs are being advertised. IIRC, the Independent article noted that they were to plug the gaps left by over 1000 retirements in the Civil Service. I doubt they'll be filling every position though!

A friend of mine in the Civil Service says AO positions are not numerous to begin with so I dunno how many positions will be there.
    I am doing an internship in the Civil Service and that is the indication that I have got too. If 2,000 people take the test, it might be as low as 150 to 200 that will have an interview, and presumably on that basis there would be less than 100 jobs.

Tense wait for the results :(
    Then they'll announce to drop your pens and stop in unison, like they are cops surrounding a terrorist.
    I was there today, and was laughing at that. Surely one person on a mic would be sufficient.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭sophya

Found it far easier than the website and managed to finish all three tests.

Was really worried about the numerical one but it was fine. Now just have to worry about the results.

Advertisement