Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Graduate jobs in the civil service (AO)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

It seems to be more comfortable dress than formal, what are people wearing?

There's no dress code. I wore jeans and a tshirt to the EO exam a few years ago, and I got the job! (I dressed formal for the interview later though...)

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭barrybones_wx

macfhinn wrote: »
    Why isnt the numerical part added to the overall score?

Seems a bit strange for the economics positions I thought, but they are just checking for a minimum level of competency in maths.

And definitely just wear normal clothes - have seen people arrive at these exams in suits and stuff and it's a total waste of time, the invigilators are just running the tests and have nothing to do with the rest of the process. There's absolutely no point in trying to impress them with your new threads :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,294 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Seems a bit strange for the economics positions I thought, but they are just checking for a minimum level of competency in maths.

The subject has nothing to do with it. I have seen people with honours degrees fail these apptitude tests. They are a measure of inteeligence rather than academic performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭Who_8_Paul?

I've done a few of these tests before, succcessful in some, not in others, but honestly I don't think they've that much to do with inteeligence either. I doubt they get the best x number of people for the job by simply interviewing the first y from the aptitude tests. A better way would be to ask all applicants who score a specified minimum score, albeit fairly high score, on the aptitude test to submit a full application form and then invite the most suitable to interview. Basically this whole exercise is a cost effective crude way of cutting the large number of applicants down.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 noelle

I assume that there won't be a secure place to leave bags so will we be able to bring them and phone etc into the test center?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,294 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I've done a few of these tests before, succcessful in some, not in others, but honestly I don't think they've that much to do with inteeligence either. I doubt they get the best x number of people for the job by simply interviewing the first y from the aptitude tests. A better way would be to ask all applicants who score a specified minimum score, albeit fairly high score, on the aptitude test to submit a full application form and then invite the most suitable to interview. Basically this whole exercise is a cost effective crude way of cutting the large number of applicants down.

It is a high stress timed test of analysing and dealing with information. Alot of companies use it so there must be some scientific merit behind it. The sample questions are fairly similar to tests I have done before outside the public sector.
    you may not get the best x number of people but you definitely won't get the worst x number of people.

Yeah I noticed I spelt intelligence wrong thanks:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 oran12

Do they give you all 3 sections together or are they given out one at a time? If so is their a gap between each section & Do we get reading time?

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Awfull Lawfull

I contacted Public Jobs to check the location, of the jobs and there all in Dublin.But may expand country wide in the future.Just so people who are not in Dublin and not able to relocate are aware.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Graciefacey

I contacted Public Jobs to check the location, of the jobs and there all in Dublin.But may expand country wide in the future.Just so people who are not in Dublin and not able to relocate are aware.
    Dislike! Relocating not an option. Bit disheartened now going into the assessment tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭delricyo

oran12 wrote: »
    Do they give you all 3 sections together or are they given out one at a time? If so is their a gap between each section & Do we get reading time?

Usually the verbal and numerical are in the same booklet. But you are not allowed to look at the numerical until the verbal time is up. And you cant go back to the verbal once that time is up
    Job sim are usually in a separate booklet

Barely breathing time between tests. A couple of minutes only. Thats the killer
    As for reading time ? Not sure what you mean. You get the allocated time from book open until pencils down. And not a second longer. There is somebody at the top with a stopwatch - and a large group of supervisors making sure you put down your pencils on time !

Good luck !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,148 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Wow!

Just took the sample maths test on the site! Flew through it (I thought) but was only able to complete 17 questions!

You need 19 correct answers just to pas s it. Jaysus! gonna have to have another few goes.

Dislike! Relocating not an option. Bit disheartened now going into the assessment tomorrow

I would have assumed they were all in Dublin too. I would say most AO type jobs are centrally based. At least people know that Dublin = Dublin
    It would be different if somebody from Cork got offered a place in Letterkenny :(

Dont be disheartened about the test. Do your best anyway. Even do the interview also if you get through. If anything, it will be great experience for you.

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Wow!

Just took the sample maths test on the site! Flew through it (I thought) but was only able to complete 17 questions!

You need 19 correct answers just to pas s it. Jaysus! gonna have to have another few goes.

You may not need the 19 questions to pass. Remember they never release how many questions are needed to pass !

Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭sophya

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Wow!

Do you have a link? The test I did on publicjobs only had 8 maths questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,148 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

sophya wrote: »
    Do you have a link? The test I did on publicjobs only had 8 maths questions.

It's in the "Advice Centre". I think the one with 8 questions might've been the sample part. The one with 30+ questions is the "Timed Test"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Linda20

hi

Anyone know how long the tests are valid for? Do you need to resit every year or anything? Doing a masters in Sept and don't know if it's worth my while.

Linda

• Registered Users Posts: 26,219 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Finished my one.

No real issues with Section 1 or 2 (didn't quite finish 2 but would be surprised if I didn't pass).

The third section seems overly subjective to me. It just seems to me that the Job Simulation exercise questions have multiple correct answers and it really is difficult to say which one is the correct one without additional information.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭nehemiah

noodler wrote: »
    Finished my one.

No real issues with Section 1 or 2 (didn't quite finish 2 but would be surprised if I didn't pass).

The third section seems overly subjective to me. It just seems to me that the Job Simulation exercise questions have multiple correct answers and it really is difficult to say which one is the correct one without additional information.

That is kind of the point of the Job Simulation though. There is no wrong answer. Some answers are just marked better than others. The answers are marked 1 to 5. Therefore you get marks for every answer, with marks 4 and 5 both being very good answers. Therefore if you get mostly 4 and 5 mark answers with a few of the lower answers you will still probably in the top band.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,219 ✭✭✭✭noodler

nehemiah wrote: »
    That is kind of the point of the Job Simulation though. There is no wrong answer. Some answers are just marked better than others. The answers are marked 1 to 5. Therefore you get marks for every answer, with marks 4 and 5 both being very good answers. Therefore if you get mostly 4 and 5 mark answers with a few of the lower answers you will still probably in the top band.

I understand but it seems to me that a person can choose a 'lesser' answer through absolutely no fault of his/her own but anyway.

Maybe we'll have more discussion it once all the tests are done.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭nehemiah

I understand but it seems to me that a person can choose a 'lesser' answer through absolutely no fault of his/her own but anyway.

Maybe we'll have more discussion it once all the tests are done.
    Did you do the self-assessment Job Simulation test?

Did you find the same problems with that or was there much difference between it and the actual Job Simulation tests?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43 obeara

Thought the same with some of the sample questions on their website.

What time did ye finish this morning? I'm up there tommorrow and have to get back to Galway for work..

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭tricky@

obeara wrote: »
    Thought the same with some of the sample questions on their website.

What time did ye finish this morning? I'm up there tommorrow and have to get back to Galway for work..

All done and allowed to leave the hall at 11:50.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭marieky21

Was it anything like the sample tests on the website?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 oran12

Seen a few people there who have been out of college a good few years...its unfair that recent grads have 2 compete against experienced pros

• Registered Users Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭Deco99

Seen a few people there who have been out of college a good few years...its unfair that recent grads have 2 compete against experienced pros

Ya, I agree, like its not you're fault these people dont have jobs or whatever. I mean the jobs should prob be split half and half, and therefore two seperate exams, one for recent grads, and one for people out of college for lets say 3 years or more. Also, the people who are out of college longer should get marked harder cause...... Wait a second! Oh ya, ITS CALLED THE REAL WORLD! NICE TO MEET YA!

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭sophya

Anyone who sat this already able to tell me if there is a cloakroom to stash coat/bag? Don't wanna leave it in a hallway or something

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭tricky@

Anyone who sat this already able to tell me if there is a cloakroom to stash coat/bag? Don't wanna leave it in a hallway or something

Only thing I saw were coat racks in the hallways as you come out of the lifts before you go into the main exam centre. But plenty of people just had their coats on the back of the chairs and bags under their desks.

hung my jacket on the back of the chair and left my bag at the window (but I am sure you can keep it beside you). No cloakroom

Snap tricky@

Are you being serious??

Also how do you know people have been out of college for a good few years?

marieky21 wrote: »
    Was it anything like the sample tests on the website?

Yes pretty similar standard. Also like the initial online test we did.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭jameskil

Did you go around asking these people how long they are out of college?
    Its an assessment!!!! It doesn't matter if you are competing with someone who has worked for over 20 years or someone who never went to college.

Advertisement