Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Graduate jobs in the civil service (AO)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭Toasterspark

Does anyone know what departments might be taking on people, and if the jobs are all Dublin-based?

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Hihello

Does anyone know if they are permanent job? Don't want to waste a holiday day and go to the apptitude for it not to be a permanent position as I already have a permanent job and don't plan to leave it for a job for a year!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,294 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Originally Posted by InReality viewpost.gif
    pity I missed this.
    were there any jobs that just needed a degree ?

No, none.

Not true. I just got notice of an assesment in Croker and I have 'only' a degree.

Got called for March 9th which I definitely cannot attend but there is no contact details in the message?? So I just e-mailed publicjobs.ie. Will see if I hear back. I can literally do every day except the one they put me in for:D. Not very much notice btw

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Hihello

If you log onto public jobs.ie and go into my applications you should find a contact email there

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,294 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Hihello wrote: »
    If you log onto public jobs.ie and go into my applications you should find a contact email there

Oh yeah.........ahem

I think I said in the application that I had computer skills ;)

thanks for that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭InReality

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Not true. I just got notice of an assesment in Croker and I have 'only' a degree.

Got called for March 9th which I definitely cannot attend but there is no contact details in the message?? So I just e-mailed publicjobs.ie. Will see if I hear back. I can literally do every day except the one they put me in for:D. Not very much notice btw

Whats your degree in , if you don't mind me asking ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭InReality

After the assessment , your usually called to an interview if your in the top group , depends on how many roles they have to fill.

The interview results are then ranked as well , and the top group there are placed in whats called a "panel".
    Once your on the panel you can be called for a specific job and asked if you want it.
    You could get placed last on the panel and be waiting quite a while to get a job offer though.
    The process is generally quite slow compared with a private sector hiring.

Also the AO jobs are all permanent jobs, normally have a 6mth prob period.

InReality wrote: »
    Whats your degree in , if you don't mind me asking ?

Accountancy and Finance
    InReality wrote: »
    You could get placed last on the panel and be waiting quite a while to get a job offer though.
    The process is generally quite slow compared with a private sector hiring.

Define quite a while? Are we talking weeks/months?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭V480

Congrats to those who got called and best of luck.

Those of you travelling from outside Dublin, are you travelling up the night before?

I'm thinking if parking at the Red Cow and getting the LUAS. Is it safe to leave your car there overnight though?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭cletus

My missus is heading up on the 7th. Your safe leaving the car at the red cow luas overnight, have done it myself plenty of times.

Does anybody know any good websites to practice the tests

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭anbodhran

V480 wrote: »
    Congrats to those who got called and best of luck.

Those of you travelling from outside Dublin, are you travelling up the night before?

I'm thinking if parking at the Red Cow and getting the LUAS. Is it safe to leave your car there overnight though?

Car Park is grand there, but if you're really worried about it drive into the Red Cow Moran and leave it there.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭gallyer

got called for wednesday. does anyone have any information on the payscale for these roles, not getting ahead of myself, just didnt take a copy of the ad, and have no idea what it was.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 7,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭cee_jay

gallyer wrote: »
    got called for wednesday. does anyone have any information on the payscale for these roles, not getting ahead of myself, just didnt take a copy of the ad, and have no idea what it was.

As per http://circulars.gov.ie/pdf/circular/finance/2010/18.pdf

€29,922 €32,575 €35,970 €38,554 €41,140 €43,734 €46,319 €48,896
    €50,683¹ €52,465

• Registered Users Posts: 44 elpistolero

got a call for this myself, im on the friday test, any idea how many approx will be doing these assesments?

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭delricyo

got a call for this myself, im on the friday test, any idea how many approx will be doing these assesments?

Got called for Wed afternoon. Im in session number 3 @ 13.30
    Considering the tests are taking place over 3 days - I would say quite a lot of people are doing the tests.
    Congrats to all who got through stage 1. From the posts above it does seem like plenty got through. Havent heard of anybody so far who didnt get through.

Good luck all !

Has anybody found the 'exam checklist and familiarisation material' yet??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

Wednesday, the 7th of March, at 9.30. I have to fly over from Brussels.

I'm on at that time too. I live outside Dublin but am close enough to a train station, so I'm still trying to decide between travelling up in the morning or staying overnight.

Everything you need to know about preparation and familiarisation is at the 'Advice Centre' link.

Sample tests here: http://www.publicjobs.ie/publicjobs/advice/test/sample.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭capefear

Hi

Congrats to every one who got to this stage. Im called for thurs morning, but it doesnt suit me, heading away for afew days. Is the test been held the following week would any one know? As I dont want to have to cancel trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 evey3624

Hi All

I am also heading up on Wed @ 13.30. Does anyone know if there is parking near Croke park or would it be better to do the park and ride?

Also I have seen the advice section but I can not find the publication that was discussed in the email either??

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭delricyo

evey3624 wrote: »
    Hi All

I am also heading up on Wed @ 13.30. Does anyone know if there is parking near Croke park or would it be better to do the park and ride?

Also I have seen the advice section but I can not find the publication that was discussed in the email either??

Sample questions are now in the publications section of the site
    Do the tests look familiar ? If anybody did the EO test before you will see that this sample test is actually an EO booklet. Maybe they will go with the EO level of difficulty ?
    Or maybe people wil turn up on the day and be presented with an AO exam booklet ?

Not miles between the 2 tests but imho the job sim require more thought.

I wish everyone good luck. If you haven't done one of these tests before, you will be surprised by how tired it leaves you :) Strange how reading some paragraphs and doing some sums does this.

Happy studying !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,029 ✭✭✭Lockstep

delricyo wrote: »
    Congrats to all who got through stage 1. From the posts above it does seem like plenty got through. Havent heard of anybody so far who didnt get through.

I applied along with 3 friends and was the only one to get through (we all have law degrees)
    Fairly surprised by it, they were all strong candidates.

I applied for the EU's Civil Service before and came in the top 20% (not enough to progress) so dunno how this one will go.

Did anyone manage to find out yet if these positions will be Dublin based?

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭ladd19

No negative marking - sweet as. I reckon the initial selection was done by computer scans on ones CV, if you had few buzzwords then you got through. E.g - Law degree, Admin work, Customer Service.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭invpat

I thought there was an embargo on hiring in the public service.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭nehemiah

invpat wrote: »

Limited recruitment was announced in the budget. This has been followed up on due to the number of retirements in the last few months.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

Hi guys, got called for the Thursday morning.

Just wondering will the entire assessment be in a written format?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,334 ✭✭✭✭starlit

invpat wrote: »

There is still an embargo but that they can still employ temporary staff in the mean time, and with retirements think they can open for permanent employment though there was a restriction before that those that retired were either not replaced or someone else internally in the civil service could fill in their place but they would have to have a permanent contract to avail of it. I thought the government embargo on recruitment was to be lifted within three years but doesn't seem like there will be any let up yet.

It applies to any one within the civil service doesn't matter if you work for the government, teacher, nurse, garda etc everyone is affected by the embargo to an extent if they are temporary staff in the cs. If they have permanent contracts then they aren't affected by the embargo but their position might be later in the future if someone were to take their place.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,219 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Have a look at the sample tests on publicjobs.ie, they dont look too hard, from those I gather the asssement is 1 1/2 hrs long. Does anyone know how many more stages there are after this? Its a big inconvenience for me to go there on such short notice, and I was always doubtful I would get the job as I dont have much experience (graduated last year)

Are you sure about the length?

I have to take time off to go and want to ensure that taking the first half of the day off will be okay.

(Mine's on Wed at 09:30)

noodler wrote: »
    Are you sure about the length?

I have to take time off to go and want to ensure that taking the first half of the day off will be okay.

(Mine's on Wed at 09:30)

I was thinking the same, I'm on Wed 9.30 too and need to get the train home. 13.30 and 14.30 are the train times...how long does it take to get from Croke Park to Hewston?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭marieky21

The assessment will last 2 and 1/2 hours. I emailed pubic jobs and this was the response i got back.

Advertisement