Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Possible Irish SOPA Law? :/

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭shanered

Up to five years in prison for illegally downloading Micheal Jackson??!!!

Only Three years for killing him!!!!!:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

shanered wrote: »

That's Bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭shanered

But its true!!!!!!!!!!!!:eek:

But its true!!!!!!!!!!!!:eek:

It's Off The Wall is what it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Spaces

I'd put money on it being far easier for Anonymous to take down Irish government websites than the FBI website. Should be a funny day.

Of course, everyone will just shut up and accept it since FG will blame the recession on piracy.

And people will still vote them in next time ... sigh or knowing this country they will tax us for the privilege of being censored

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭PseudoFamous

Spaces wrote: »
    And people will still vote them in next time ... sigh

um, no they won't. They'll probably vote for Fianna Fail again, which is as bad, if not worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Spaces

um, no they won't. They'll probably vote for Fianna Fail again, which is as bad, if not worse.
    Well they're all apples from the same tree ,FF , FG and LAB .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Scuid Mhór

'well, you have to hand it to those dolphins, they just wanted it more.'

- homer simpson on the takeover of springfield by dolphins, treehouse of horror xi, the simpsons.

we have to want this more, gentlemen. to protect the freedom of the people, y'all gotta play your parts. write letters, ring telephones. launch a goddamned war if we have to. i'd argue this could go against the fundamental pillars of human rights as laid out in the geneva convention!

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Jericho.

http://contact.ie/contact

This is a great site for mailing all TDs and Senators very quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

Kinda wrong...

5 years for uploading

4 years for involuntary manslaughter of him

And anyways, that's the US SOPA, which wasn't passed and is irrelevant to our own issues

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,316 ✭✭✭gavmcg92

Spaces wrote: »
    Well they're all apples from the same tree ,FF , FG and LAB .

Funny enough, the greens are coming out great over this issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭TanG411

Anonymous Sweden (@AnonOpsSweden) has tweeted just 10 minutes ago:
    #irishSOPA #OpIreland is engaged,Expect us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

I am watching Primetime I deliberately turned it on because I thought they would be covering this. But no.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,316 ✭✭✭gavmcg92

Anonymous Sweden (@AnonOpsSweden) has tweeted just 10 minutes ago:
    YourAnonNews Anonymous

Ireland has angered the hive, we will be reporting all attacks through this account | #OpIreland #OpMegaUpload

Looks good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭Javan

gavmcg92 wrote: »
    Looks good.

In what mad world does that look good?
    DDoS, defacements or other illegal actions are not welcome. We are trying to stop bad laws, not break good ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

This'll be interesting!

Have Anon heard of https://www.householdcharge.ie/
    ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Jesus Shaves

So what did sean sherlock say on drivetime?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

darokane wrote: »
    So what did sean sherlock say on drivetime?

Does it matter? whatever he said didn't make people very happy and 1000s signed up at stopsopaireland.com. Looks like 1000s didn't believe a word he said.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

Javan wrote: »
    DDoS

The distinction between a virtual sit-in and DDoS is arbitrary, the legal distinction even more-so.

Temporarily disrupting the operations of a website is the digital equivalent to a sit-in, which is a widely accepted form of protest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭The_Thing

mikom wrote: »

You beat me to it :D

I've already used the "Report Web Forgery" option under the "Help" menu in Firefox to flag householdcharge.ie as an attack site.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,775 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

sean sherlock insist he must act based on judge charleton's judgement, well lets see his judgement on the number of people torrenting Aslan albums, is it 22,000? ...http://taint.org/2010/10/11/231501a.html

Seachmall wrote: »
    The distinction between a virtual sit-in and DDoS is arbitrary, the legal distinction even more-so.

Temporarily disrupting the operations of a website is the digital equivalent to a sit-in, which is a widely accepted form of protest.

That's as may be, but I find it very ironic that in response to a bad law that will take down websites that copyright holders don't like; we would consider taking down websites that we don't like.
    That leads to anarchy. In an anarchy whoever has the biggest guns wins and everyone else loses. I suspect we would not end with the biggest guns.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Jesus Shaves

sean sherlock insist he must act based on judge charleton's judgement, well lets see his judgement on the number of people torrenting Aslan albums, is it 22,000? ...http://taint.org/2010/10/11/231501a.html
    .Previous sales of their albums were excellent, about 35,000 per album, and in respect of one called “Platinum Collection”, a three CD box set, 50,000 copies were sold. More recently, an album called “Uncased” was released and only 6,000 copies were sold.

Hardly because Aslans latest albums are shíte:p

bealtine wrote: »
    Does it matter? whatever he said didn't make people very happy and 1000s signed up at stopsopaireland.com. Looks like 1000s didn't believe a word he said.

Way to engage in the political process... :rolleyes:

To answer the Q: Sherlock did little more that repeat the two points I mentioned in my email earlier. He talked about the two cases that effectively set the upper and lower limit on the power of the court to impose injunctions on ISPs.
    That is; the court must have that power, and it must be less than asking the ISP to actively monitor all traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

Javan wrote: »
    That's as may be, but I find it very ironic that in response to a bad law that will take down websites that copyright holders don't like; we would consider taking down websites that we don't like.
    That leads to anarchy. In an anarchy whoever has the biggest guns wins and everyone else loses. I suspect we would not end with the biggest guns.

Those who are considering DDoSing are not doing so to indefinitely take the site off the internet but to do so temporarily in order to bring awareness to the injustices of the law.

It is a reaction to gain publicity for their cause. It's no more ironic than a union asking it's members not to attend work but to strike instead to bring notice on other members who were let-go.

It could also be argued that those who act to censor the internet should not be allowed on the internet in the same way a bully who prevents others from playing on the swings should himself not be allowed to play on the swings.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭MajesticDonkey

justice.ie is currently offline.

Seachmall wrote: »
    Those who are considering DDoSing are not doing so to indefinitely take the site off the internet but to do so temporarily in order to bring awareness to the injustices of the law.

It is a reaction to gain publicity for their cause. It's no more ironic than a union asking it's members not to attend work but to strike instead to bring notice on other members who were let-go.

It could also be argued that those who act to censor the internet should not be allowed on the internet in the same way a bully who prevents others from playing on the swings should himself not be allowed to play on the swings.

And exactly what law are you talking about? The one that is not written yet?

There is definitely a time and place in a democracy for civil disobedience and protest. I just think we should try and engage first.

Tell you what: If the text of the order is as bad as we expect it to be then I'll lead the protest march on the minister's office. I expect you to be right beside me. Until then I'll keep working on fixing the problem before it starts.

Deal?

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,212 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Decryptor wrote: »
    Working fine for me

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

Decryptor wrote: »
    Nope, can't get no justice, citizensinformation.ie was offline for me earlier too... and still seems to be offline.

Advertisement