Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Possible Irish SOPA Law? :/

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

UPDATE: www.oireachtais.ie Is Down From Here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭Javan

Seachmall wrote: »
    The one that presumably has been written but not yet published, the one that is not being presented to my representatives to debate or vote on, the one that early drafts suggest is threatening to the free-flow of information online, the one that is being rushed into law with no transparency and under suspicious secrecy.

That law.

What are you planning that will bring as much media reports as this planned act of civil disobedience?

Surely making the majority of the public aware of what's going on is the primary concern, this will do just that.

And the best time for civil disobedience is preemptively. I'd rather strike when the issue can be avoided than let the target get further out of reach.

I'm not suggesting DDoS is the best option, it could do more damage than good but in the grand scheme of things public awareness is a priority and a DDoS will probably get into the papers.

1: There is no suspicious secrecy here. This was mentioned as required immediately after the EMI v UPC case, including mentions in the national newspapers.
    It is happening quickly and using an inappropriate mechanism, but that is just because the minister responsible doesn't see it as important. That is not sinister, it is just ignorant. Combat ignorance with education.

2: There is plenty of media activity already. We don't need to kill the DoJ website to get Sherlock to understand that a lot of people think this is a bad idea. The fact that he was on a primetime radio interview fielding tough questions from Michele Neylon shows that he knows there is a problem.

Having been informed that there is a problem he now needs to be guided to a solution. That is not going to be done by shouting more. The shouting has done its job for now.

And as I've said; if he persists in publishing something that is a bad law I'll be at the front of the protest holding a banner and shouting at the cameras.

Will you be there?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭MajesticDonkey

lee3155 wrote: »
    UPDATE: www.oireachtais.ie Is Down From Here.
    Yep. Their latest reply: "we havent really started this is a teaser!"

Ah jaysus, you spelled "oireachtas" wrong.

Decryptor wrote: »
    Yep. Their latest reply: "we havent really started this is a teaser!"

We all know what sites are "getting the boot" next then :P

I've seen people requesting rte.ie to be taken down. :D

• Advertisement

I've seen people requesting rte.ie to be taken down. :D

I have a feeling that they will too but then again, they are doing this so the media can get hold of it and therefore others can too.

So really I don't think they will because what's the point of taking Irelands largest media site offline when at the end of they day that's where they wan't they message to be displayed :P

• Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

Javan wrote: »
    1: There is no suspicious secrecy here. This was mentioned as required immediately after the EMI v UPC case, including mentions in the national newspapers.
    It is happening quickly and using an inappropriate mechanism, but that is just because the minister responsible doesn't see it as important. That is not sinister, it is just ignorant. Combat ignorance with education.
    It is happening quickly, but why not publish it already? I'm assuming they're not going to implement a law 6 days from now if they haven't already finished making amendments. We deserve to know, more than that we deserve to discuss it.
    2: There is plenty of media activity already. We don't need to kill the DoJ website to get Sherlock to understand that a lot of people think this is a bad idea. The fact that he was on a primetime radio interview fielding tough questions from Mechele Neylon shows that he knows there is a problem.
    When I see it in the papers or on the news I'll accept it's gotten plenty of recognition but at the moment I'd expect very few people are aware of it.

Like I said, I'm not arguing this is the best way. But I see it as a valid form of protest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Jesus Shaves

www.seansherlock.ie surely should be next

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭James Forde

Justice is down for me.

This will make more people aware

Citizen's Information is gone...

EDIT: I swear there's someone sitting in front of the server.#

They're going for finance.gov.ie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

EDIT: I swear there's someone sitting in front of the server.
    Yeah there's definetely a firefight going on.

Interesting to see if there's any mass media coverage out of this tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭James Forde

Finance.gov is their next target

Doc Ruby wrote: »
    Yeah there's definetely a firefight going on.

Interesting to see if there's any mass media coverage out of this tomorrow.
    They'll have the "restart" label worn off the button at this stage.

Without a doubt I'd say there'll be coverage. When has anything like this ever happened before?

Gotta love this guy:

etienneshrdlu - James Kelleher
    Whoa, padrepio.ie is now down following a massive Anonymous DDOS attack. #OpIreland

They'll have the "restart" label worn off the button at this stage.

Without a doubt I'd say there'll be coverage. When has anything like this ever happened before?

The lastt time I remember something happened like this online that involved Ireland in a way was when Anonymous took down PSN.

Wow memories haha :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Cardinal Richelieu

I am a bit stupid around these things but arn't we sort of working for Anonymous by clicking on these sites that they claim to be taking down as we are helping to overload the site with traffic?

I am a bit stupid around these things but arn't we sort of working for Anonymous by clicking on these sites that they claim to be taking down as we are helping to overload the site with traffic?

we are indeed

No, we are only checking to see if they are up or down because we want to be kept in the loop. Besides it's only 1 connection per each of us. Noting more :)

It's just the same as us in general reloading these sites, if they can't handle that then they shouldn't be allowed legally up!

Technically, yes, but in reality no. A single refresh on the site is nothing compared to the 10s of thousands of hits they're sending.

Phone numbers of all FG/Labour TDs: http://pastebin.com/55fkBK5f :D
    Some people are claiming the numbers are "leaked", but that would proclaim that the numbers weren't already available. Which is a bit silly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭TanG411

Would this work better if it happened during the day as opposed to midnight?

• Advertisement

Would this work better if it happened during the day as opposed to midnight?

Nope because when they all stoll into the offices tomorrow with their lovely hot cups of coffee they will soon realise that their website is down :D That saying that Anonymous decides to contines throughout the night...

Here's some interesting reading while waiting for updates: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055760092

finance.gov.ie is down now:p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

looks like they are hitting citizensinformation.ie as well

Yep, justice.ie, finance.gov.ie and citizensinformation.ie are all down.

#OpIreland is opper-aitin.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,330 ✭✭✭NeVeR

I hope this is in the news tomorrow.
    good job lads

HAHA :D

no****eansherlocktd.tumblr.com/

Replace **** with sh*t.

Looks like revenue.ie is dying a death. Now they've done it.

...and back, I wonder are all these sites on the same server or what.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

ros.ie is loading really slow if not unreachable

Advertisement