Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Dash cam saves your ass (no Roundabout stuff please :)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭gutteruu

rizzodun wrote: »
    I never said I stay in the overtaking lane when not passing, I said if I am overtaking and come to a sliproad entry I wait a few seconds longer until I'm passed it before moving back to the inside lane, I'd rather not be merging in to the inside at the same time someone may be coming down the sliproad, its all well and good saying its the merging drivers job to join, but I'd rather give them distance if I can.

Can't believe I have to make this point but, So long as you are sitting in the passing lane with nothing but empty space in the driving lane you are in the wrong. You feel its ok to block the PASSING lane in case a hypothetical car MAY come up the sliproad and god forbid you would be inconvenienced? F**kin madness!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

How fast can you boot a double decker through london? 50mph ish? A dash cam of a different nature

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

gutteruu wrote: »
    Can't believe I have to make this point but, So long as you are sitting in the passing lane with nothing but empty space in the driving lane you are in the wrong. You feel its ok to block the PASSING lane in case a hypothetical car MAY come up the sliproad and god forbid you would be inconvenienced? F**kin madness!

For the sake of a couple of seconds? Are you serious? Did I say once anything about sitting in the passing lane? I said wait a couple of seconds after passing to make sure I'm passed the sliproad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭dickwod1

Mycroft H wrote: »
    How fast can you boot a double decker through london? 50mph ish? A dash cam of a different nature

About time someone done some decent driving around here for a change! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

joujoujou wrote: »

Sorry for quality - top of the windscreen was still a bit foggy after overnight parking. :o
    A massive overreaction on your part Imo. it would of been best for you to slow down a little and leave the other driver complete their maneuver.

You also come across in an aggressive manner and seem to look down on women drivers, which isn't the best attitude to bring out on the road with you Imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭jackofalltrades

moxin wrote: »
    Where is your video?

I notice the guardians of the moral police who are quick to criticise without knowing the actual roads in question NEVER post videos of their own driving.
    I really like this thread, it gives me the chance to see how I'd react in different situations.
    It keeps my thinking about my driving, which can only be a good thing.

I just can't see it lasting in it's current form.
    It's like every thread in motors on driving etiquette, where people have strong opinions for and against, rolled into one.

I think a rule where you can only criticise someone else's driving if you post your own video, would help to bring a bit of balance back to the thread.
    And still make it appealing for people to post their own videos.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Days 298

JerCotter7 wrote: »

I see you have figure out what a public forum is fairly well.

I think it's well known that a cycle persists here where those with dashcam a stop posting due to their driving being belittled and all that's left is Russian dashcams being posted.

This is look at what I caught on camera not please constructively criticise my driving it's the reason I post my dashcams.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭sogood

I think we should all accept and respect the fact that everyone has, and is entitled to their opinion. I might post a video, that in someone's opinion, leaves me open to criticism. So be it. That's their view.

I don't have to agree and I'm not going to get my knickers in a twist over it. I have been driving for over 35 years. I have sat tests for car and coaches, I have every class of licence under the sun, I have completed courses to allow me to drive on the apron and runways at Dublin Airport, I drive for a living, all over Ireland, UK and Scotland and guess what, sometimes I make mistakes!

But I won't compound a mistake by turning it into an argument/ road rage incident. I hold my hand up and say "sorry". Job done. Let he who is without sin cast the first stone etc.

So, lighten up guys. This is a great site and I enjoy it. And maybe say "thanks" once in a while for those who take the time and effort to post a video in the first place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Gosub

I do have a dashcam and I would post video here if my journeys were less uneventful. I could post hours of video of idiots in the centre lane of 3 with no reason to be there. But it's not unusual, so what's the point?

In the clip above, I would have let that driver go with no drama, so no clip to post there.

If I did post a clip there is a possibility that there would be some driving that would attract criticism, I am human after all and we're not perfect, but it wouldn't be causing any danger. The clip where the driver came down the sliproad... the poster was doing nothing wrong. I would have done the same. I would have stayed out until clear of the slip. That's just courtesy to the merging drivers.

However, I will criticise where the driver has actually caused a dangerous situation, like the one recently: undertaking and dangerous driving generally. Or the poster who claimed "braketesting" and was actually a long way over the speed limit, causing the situation in the first place.

Bottom line is: if you do something stupid (whether you know it's stupid or not) and post it here, expect it to be pointed out. If your driving doesn't fit into the ROTR but is still safe and courteous, you shouldn't be criticised here. But some people feel the need to look down on others, so expect that. Just let it slide.

Stay safe. As a road user, I need you to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭franksm

Meanwhile back in the spot-the-scumbag section, here's one I saw in Clondalkin last year. Not sure if the car is stolen, but it was driving like it was

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

franksm wrote: »
    Meanwhile back in the spot-the-scumbag section, here's one I saw in Clondalkin last year. Not sure if the car is stolen, but it was driving like it was

Gobshiite, I know that junction well only live down the road from it and that is definitely not a junction you go breaking lights at.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 4,303 Mod ✭✭✭✭TherapyBoy

I really like this thread, it gives me the chance to see how I'd react in different situations.
    It keeps my thinking about my driving, which can only be a good thing.

I just can't see it lasting in it's current form.
    It's like every thread in motors on driving etiquette, where people have strong opinions for and against, rolled into one.

I think a rule where you can only criticise someone else's driving if you post your own video, would help to bring a bit of balance back to the thread.
    And still make it appealing for people to post their own videos.

I agree completely.

I really like watching the videos users post here, seeing how other people react on the road & how would I have reacted in similar situations. I don't think I've ever posted to give my opinion on a video one way or the other though & I think that at some stage the thread will be closed due to lack of video clips being posted/endless circular arguments & pointing out mistakes etc.

If the thread is to survive I think 'Jackofalltrades' idea of no criticising videos unless you post your own is a step in the right direction. In my opinion it's either that or cut out all commentary, just allow posting of videos with maybe a small explanation of what's happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

TherapyBoy wrote: »
    I agree completely.

I really like watching the videos users post here, seeing how other people react on the road & how would I have reacted in similar situations. I don't think I've ever posted to give my opinion on a video one way or the other though & I think that at some stage the thread will be closed due to lack of video clips being posted/endless circular arguments & pointing out mistakes etc.

If the thread is to survive I think 'Jackofalltrades' idea of no criticising videos unless you post your own is a step in the right direction. In my opinion it's either that or cut out all commentary, just allow posting of videos with maybe a small explanation of what's happening.

I've a rule that I try to stick to. I won't criticise someone who puts up a vid unless I've never made the same error myself.

I'm still waiting.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

moxin wrote: »
    Where is your video?

I notice the guardians of the moral police who are quick to criticise without knowing the actual roads in question NEVER post videos of their own driving.

Hard to get the dashcam to stay on the forehead of the high horses;)

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭pauld

not sure what he was looking at! this morning on the Tonlegee road

http://youtu.be/qxYTIGe2fI8

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

I had a fair idea this fella had no tag. Sure enough..... :D

Tough junction in rush hour

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Gosub

Dingatron wrote: »

Good video Dingatron. What camera do you use?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭gutteruu

Did he hit the barrier? Why did he wait after he had passed it or is it the M1 toll with 2 barriers? Edit: I see title. Presume second barrier was down.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

Gosub wrote: »
    Good video Dingatron. What camera do you use?

it's a BlackVue DR380G

Did he hit the barrier? Why did he wait after he had passed it or is it the M1 toll with 2 barriers? Edit: I see title. Presume second barrier was down.

Yes he ignored the signs directing him to a booth, then hit the barrier and stopped blocking the lane. I think he then ploughed through the other barrier too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭deandean

it's a BlackVue DR380G

Yes he ignored the signs directing him to a booth, then hit the barrier and stopped blocking the lane. I think he then ploughed through the other barrier too.

That was a cracker dingatron, you read the other driver well :D

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

One wonders if that guy was born that stupid or if it takes some kind of special effort.
    He's a sort of anti-Einstein.
    He so dumb, he came last in the idiot Olympics.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭whizbang

Absolutely deliberate, hoping you would drive up his ass, activating the barrier, but maybe wasn't as sharp as should have been.
    I'm really pissed about this, happening to me every other day.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

Bray - Killarney Road junction from Herbert Road.

Driving on the footpath... a little too fast for my liking. This is a regular occurrence at this shop, as customers don't really want to queue in traffic for a few seconds. Let's just drive on the footpath.

Another co-worker.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 dashcam118

Not a video that really saves my ass, but I thought I'd have a little fun with my cam. And the other thread specified no videos so there was nowhere else to put it really.

Watch in 720p.
    Recorded with the Smartcam 2HD that I got from micks garage.
    Great camera, but notice towards the end it goes black for a few seconds between each 5 minute recording. Annoying and I dont know why it does that.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭nicol

<unhelpful content removed by moderator>

• Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭GTE

dashcam118 wrote: »
    Not a video that really saves my ass, but I thought I'd have a little fun with my cam. And the other thread specified no videos so there was nowhere else to put it really.

Watch in 720p.
    Great camera, but notice towards the end it goes black for a few seconds between each 5 minute recording. Annoying and I dont know why it does that.

Quite a fast car you have there.

A haw!:pac:

dashcam118 wrote: »

Watch in 720p.

Is your windscreen cracked? (Right side edge of frame)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

That's 2.25 minutes of my life Il never get back :pac:

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    That's 2.25 minutes of my life Il never get back :pac:

Technically it's 2.45 minutes... (approximately) :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Nearly got squished by a Dublin bus earlier. Driving down the right lane on D'Olier street , was moving beside the bus when he decided to pull across into my lane (I was just over halfway passed the bus). Thanks to a small break in the parked cars on the right, and a nice foot massage from the pedal, I survived! Have it all on cam thankfully!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement