Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Dash cam saves your ass (no Roundabout stuff please :)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

oops, thought I was going blind there:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

h3000 wrote: »
    I think RainyDay was referring to Ken's video rather than the one they actually quoted.

Sorry my error - I've edited my post to quote the correct video now.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭huggs2

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,150 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Cycle lanes are only for two wheels and he only had two wheels on it :P

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭e92335i

huggs2 wrote: »

Hugged the bike lane there all right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭mb1725

He's probably a cyclist and just forgot he was driving! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Jimfo1970

Saw an interesting one yesterday. There was an accident between a local and a foreign national. It took the guards a while to come. In the meantime the husband who was the passenger sent the wife to sit in a friends car with their kids. When the guards came the husband claimed he was the driver even though he was clearly drunk (at 1.30pm). The car that the wife was in then drove off. The guards were informed of who was driving and had to follow and bring the wife back. They still denied it and the guard was believing them until it was realised that the dash cam was still running and all was caught on camera. Turned out she had no insurance and the husband was going to take the blame even though he was pi**ed.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,353 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Jimfo1970 wrote: »
    Saw an interesting one yesterday. There was an accident between a local and a foreign national. It took the guards a while to come. In the meantime the husband who was the passenger sent the wife to sit in a friends car with their kids. When the guards came the husband claimed he was the driver even though he was clearly drunk (at 1.30pm). The car that the wife was in then drove off. The guards were informed of who was driving and had to follow and bring the wife back. They still denied it and the guard was believing them until it was realised that the dash cam was still running and all was caught on camera. Turned out she had no insurance and the husband was going to take the blame even though he was pi**ed.
    Can you post it?

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Jimfo1970

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Can you post it?

I was only an onlooker that kept the local woman from been abused by this gurrier in the other car until the guards came. The dash cam was in her car. I have photos on my phone but she owned the dash cam. Oddly the guards were not interested in him from trying to pervert the course of justice and let him on his way.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

ION08 wrote: »
    I'd recommend getting a 1080p or higher dashcam. Some of the lower resolution ones you cannot make out number plates or other important information...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

Dash cam didn't exactly save this guy, but at least it might mean the culprit is caught.

http://www.independent.ie/world-news/europe/video-man-run-over-by-enraged-driver-during-shocking-road-rage-attack-30436311.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Mousewar

Thoie wrote: »
    Dash cam didn't exactly save this guy, but at least it might mean the culprit is caught.

http://www.independent.ie/world-news/europe/video-man-run-over-by-enraged-driver-during-shocking-road-rage-attack-30436311.html

"Concerned motorists rush to the injured man’s aid"

I think 'rush' is a bit strong there in fairness.

Mousewar wrote: »
    "Concerned motorists rush to the injured man’s aid"

I think 'rush' is a bit strong there in fairness.

I thought that myself. The guy in the car behind (dashcam owner) doesn't appear to have got out at all. Other cars wander off, and eventually a cyclist saunters over and then ambles around.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Jimfo1970 wrote: »

Can somebody please explain this 'foreign national' thing to me? Seems to be an Irish expression, but I don't get it, what does it actually mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Bio Mech

Can somebody please explain this 'foreign national' thing to me? Seems to be an Irish expression, but I don't get it, what does it actually mean?

Its hardly rocket science Kenny

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foreign_national

It's frequently a xenophobic attempt to not be racist. It technically refers to anyone who is not an Irish citizen, but is generally used to refer to anyone who looks like they weren't born in Ireland, or whose native language isn't English. You never hear British people over here being referred to as being foreign nationals (though they are).

The "problem" now that's starting to emerge is that there are many people who weren't necessarily born in Ireland, but are now Irish nationals, as they've applied for and been granted citizenship. It's harder for the man on the street to determine who does and doesn't have an Irish passport these days, so I'm sure they'll come up with another term soon.

I'm asking what it actually means - the relevance in this context, and numerous 'news' articles.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Bio Mech

I'm asking what it actually means - the relevance in this context, and numerous 'news' articles.

The link I posted describes what it actually means. What context everyone in Ireland uses it in is anyones guess and IMO is way off topic for this thread. You could start one elsewhere if you genuinely want to know.

Can we not turn the thread into a xenophobia/racism argument please. its a good thread when not derailed.

Bio Mech wrote: »
    The link I posted describes what it actually means. What context everyone in Ireland uses it in is anyones guess and IMO is way off topic for this thread. You could start one elsewhere if you genuinely want to know.

Can we not turn the thread into a xenophobia/racism argument please. its a good thread when not derailed.

Yep, fair enough. Ironically that's why I brought it up - because it's often nothing more than an irrelevant distraction. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭The Dagda

Yep, fair enough. Ironically that's why I brought it up - because it's often nothing more than an irrelevant distraction. :pac:

I think you were mixing up the phrase "foreign national" with the phrase "non national" which was a popular one in the media a few years ago. That was definitely a meaningless phrase.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Nino Brown

I often wondered was there any point in leaving the mic on my camera on. I guess that answers that question.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Nino Brown wrote: »
    I often wondered was there any point in leaving the mic on my camera on. I guess that answers that question.

Absolutely, the nearness or otherwise of any incident is only proven by the degree of cursing :)

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭nowayout1

hey guys, i got the Lidl dash cams today, have to say its pretty nice and good for the price of it. Anyway I picked up a mini SD card in argos in Nutgrove so on my way home to Tallaght. I noticed three things first was at the junction from nutgrove the last set of traffic lights just before the yellow house, and a good few seconds later after i beeped the car went, as there is no traffic lights facing you from across the road and have to creek your neck up to see if it's green. Second was on the left onto the beginning of the Tallaght by-pass that goes up by cheeverstown a car wouldn't go as she had a yellow amber and could have easily built her speed up and entered but waited for the green light to come on for going straight towards the KCR garage. Thirdly I witnessed an amber gambler coming onto the M50 roundabout at Tallaght just after the Texaco, I stopped and she went on through caught the reg though. I was recording in 1080p but I am heading to Blarney in Cork next week and wanted to know how long should i record the entire journey and if so what quality recording. I got a class 10 16GB mini SD card, how does the loop recordings work? Does it automatically delete the previous recording and wipes over it or does it create a new video? I'm new to dash cams and got it to record silly people and incase I am in a RTA or witness a hit and run as they're more common now than ever before. Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

With that one in Lidl for sale, I expect to see loads of bad driving .

Right here.

Great stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

With that one in Lidl for sale, I expect to see loads of bad driving .

Right here.

Great stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

nowayout1 wrote: »
    hey guys, i got the Lidl dash cams today, have to say its pretty nice and good for the price of it. Anyway I picked up a mini SD card in argos in Nutgrove so on my way home to Tallaght. I noticed three things first was at the junction from nutgrove the last set of traffic lights just before the yellow house, and a good few seconds later after i beeped the car went, as there is no traffic lights facing you from across the road and have to creek your neck up to see if it's green. Second was on the left onto the beginning of the Tallaght by-pass that goes up by cheeverstown a car wouldn't go as she had a yellow amber and could have easily built her speed up and entered but waited for the green light to come on for going straight towards the KCR garage. Thirdly I witnessed an amber gambler coming onto the M50 roundabout at Tallaght just after the Texaco, I stopped and she went on through caught the reg though. I was recording in 1080p but I am heading to Blarney in Cork next week and wanted to know how long should i record the entire journey and if so what quality recording. I got a class 10 16GB mini SD card, how does the loop recordings work? Does it automatically delete the previous recording and wipes over it or does it create a new video? I'm new to dash cams and got it to record silly people and incase I am in a RTA or witness a hit and run as they're more common now than ever before. Cheers

Why don't you just post a video then? I would like to see what the lidl camera is like when it comes to quality, anyway.

Post the video on youtube or elsewhere and let us see it rather than read it:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭HurtLocker

After seeing a granddad stop on the right hand turn at a t junction stick on his hazards. Pop out and stop a car in the left turn lane to talk presumable for directions I decided I had to order a dash cam. Arrives next week :D.

Hope to start contributing soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭nowayout1

Will do I'll do it now & post in YouTube & comment it here.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement