Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Dash cam saves your ass (no Roundabout stuff please :)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

On the dole AND driving a car ?! He's getting far too much ;)

Ken

• Registered Users Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Two close misses today.

First was an aul bint who ran a red by 5 seconds. Doesn't look like much in the video but you can see her slam on the brakes and her front suspension dip, missed me by a few feet.

Second one is an ambulance who approached a major junction with no intention of stopping/slowing, with no siren on. Also didn't seem to be in any particular rush to begin with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

Delightful parking at 0:35 and 0:55.

BTW, what's that weird-looking 2-way cycle lane thingy at 0:56?

The biggest cock-up in Irish town planning you will ever see. That road, Stapleton Place is one of the oldest streets in Dundalk, going well back to the late 1700s.

It was a lovely wide, one way street with ample parking for decades and decades, with rows of 100 year old trees all the way up.

Until the council decided to narrow the street to the width of a single car and bring in a two lane cycle lane in 2012. Then in 2013, the whole lot was dug up again and every single tree was chopped down to provide the dogs dinner you see before you. Unbelievable stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

Second one is an ambulance who approached a major junction with no intention of stopping/slowing, with no siren on. Also didn't seem to be in any particular rush to begin with.

For your information, ambulances running like that are usually carrying a recently deceased corps.

An RTC fatality or other fatal incident.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Red Nissan wrote: »
    For your information, ambulances running like that are usually carrying a recently deceased corps.

Really? So if an ambulance has the lights flashing but no siren then it means there is a dead body in the back?
    Didn't know that.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Why do you need to flash the lights at all if it's a dead body? Where's he in a hurry to?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

I would have thought that they just don't put on the siren unless they hit traffic. No point in having sirens blaring late at night with no other cars around.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭aristotle25

Why do you need to flash the lights at all if it's a dead body? Where's he in a hurry to?

To make themselves available for the next call out?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,353 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

He had his flashers on. The road looks quiet so no reason for the siren. The driver probably made a slight error in assuming there was nothing coming at the junction. I have seen alot of ambulances that do not break speed limits. There is little to be gained by doing so as all the time saved is getting priority through junctions and traffic moving out of the way.

The dead body conversation is a red herring.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

To make themselves available for the next call out?

I am somewhat ashamed that this didn't occur to me.

Where did you get this info from?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

Ambulances can treat a red light as a give way when they are on an emergency calls only. They still have to give way to oncoming traffic and if they cause an accident by runnings reds, its their fault. A mate who drives one in the midlands told me this.

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    He had his flashers on. The road looks quiet so no reason for the siren. The driver probably made a slight error in assuming there was nothing coming at the junction. I have seen alot of ambulances that do not break speed limits. .

It's true, I assumed there was nothing coming through the other red lights. However anyone that knows that road knows there are plenty of people going through those lights at 70-80kph to make them, in which case he would have caused an accident. Lucky I was doing about 55 at the time.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,353 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

It's true, I assumed there was nothing coming through the other red lights. However anyone that knows that road knows there are plenty of people going through those lights at 70-80kph to make them, in which case he would have caused an accident. Lucky I was doing about 55 at the time.
    I meant the ambulance driver, not you

Where did you get this info from?

My uncle drives one. And my wife was in the Order Of Malta. They drive slowly with no siren or klaxon and use minimal blues. They still want the right of way to hasten their journey.

My turn, for your delectation, amusement and sheer terror, I offer 30 seconds from today.

https://vimeo.com/100426088

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭oak5548

My uncle drives one. And my wife was in the Order Of Malta. They drive slowly with no siren or klaxon and use minimal blues. They still want the right of way to hasten their journey.

This is wrong.

However, the slower the ambulance is going the more serious the patient is. i.e cardiac arrest or severly unstable after a major accident/illness.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

oak5548 wrote: »
    This is wrong.

However, the slower the ambulance is going the more serious the patient is. i.e cardiac arrest or severly unstable after a major accident/illness.

I know that in the UK they drive as slow as 10-20 mph, it doesn't mean it isn't serious, it just means they are doing CPR or any other life saving duties.

They have all the equipment on board, so no need to rush to the hospital and risk the patients and the crew lifes.

When they are on their way to the patient - they go as fast as they can.

Under those conditions they run full blues as they are in an emergency.

• Advertisement

wonski wrote: »
    I know that in the UK they drive as slow as 10-20 mph, it doesn't mean it isn't serious, it just means they are doing CPR or any other life saving duties.

They have all the equipment on board, so no need to rush to the hospital and risk the patients and the crew lifes.

When they are on their way to the patient - they go as fast as they can.

The reason they drive so slow is because moving a critical patient reduces their survival chance, and how effective CPR is. Unstable patients may deteriorate in a shaking/rocky loud ambulance and arrest.

Under those conditions they run full blues as they are in an emergency.

Yep, full blues. Doesnt mean they drive fast. no paramedic would drive at high speed with CPR in the back.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

My turn, for your delectation, amusement and sheer terror, I offer 30 seconds from today.

I am surprised you didn't use the horn - I would give him a long beep beep just to make my point;)

The picture is gone for few seconds (16s-21s) - not sure if it is the original file, or the compression at the vimeo site. You might want to look into it.

Luckily he didn't scrape your car, but if he did you would have it all on video anyway. Could definitely save your ass if he tried some silly excuses or denied any responsibility.

Yep, full blues. Doesnt mean they drive fast. no paramedic would drive at high speed with CPR in the back.

The above is not running full blues

314109.jpg

The above is not running full blues

That doesnt mean anything. The driver might not have even turned them on until he hit the junction, and hit the wrong button. Its his discretion.
    You cant really judge from a 5 second clip what was going on.

I just made a statement about how fast ambulances drive.
    Infact, even if its a critical patient, and the ambulance is driving at night time in the countryside or away from a built up area, they wont even use blue lights. Because theres nothing around. For all we know, thats what this ambulance was doing, and turned on its front lights to notify it was emerging from a junction.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭ShaneMc2012

A relatively new Skoda with a D plate and a low enough number, I would definitely say it's a rented car! By the time you e-mail them they'll more than likely be on the other side of the Atlantic unfortunately! :P

A relatively new Skoda with a D plate and a low enough number, I would definitely say it's a rented car! By the time you e-mail them they'll more than likely be on the other side of the Atlantic unfortunately! :P

We know. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭sjb25

What has more than likely occurred here is that the driver pressed the wrong button he has his grill blues flashing and not the roof and doesn't realize it ambulances have a control panal Iv posted an example of one but the ones in that vehicle are slightly differnt what you normally do is hit 999 button which turns all emergency lighting on but if you only hit the grille button only grille blues will come on as what I'd say happend here you can also turn on roof beacons without grilles but normally you should have all on not realy a thing called "full blues" your either useing them or not! He has a patient onboard as the lights in the back are on you don't leave sirens on all the time if no need (they go trew you're head) and yes you slow down and even stop sometimes even with critical patients to do things! Also we transport patients without blue lights flashing Don't no where some of you have got you're ideas but I'd say he just pressed the wrong button and as for the front blues on means dead body lol :) ambulance don't normally transport the body's the undertaker or corner do sometimes the will but the won't use lights anyway Iv attached a control panal for you's to see very easy to press the wrong button

• Registered Users Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭sjb25

An RTC fatality or other fatal incident. Who told you that?????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭guttenberg

Anyone got any new dashcam videos?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement