Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Dash cam saves your ass (no Roundabout stuff please :)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Sobanek wrote: »
    Irish people lack balls when driving. Honestly.
    I agree, it is quite stressful to drive in Poland, but in Poland I don't see people not using their indicators, having their foglights on, or using the roundabout incorrectly.

You're right, just more deaths and injuries

• Registered Users Posts: 33,860 ✭✭✭✭listermint

CiniO wrote: »
    I think you are exaggerating a bit. I've travelled more than 300k kilometres on Polish roads, and never seen anything even close to what I can see on this video.

That's not poor skills. That's false feeling of immortality among Polish drivers mixed with desire to take risks.

If you consider that lots of people who died on Polish roads were pedestrians, that population is over 8.5 times greater than in Ireland, and lots of people die because they were in 25 year old cars without any safety features (deathtraps) during the accident, then if you drive in any reasonably safe car, you are possibly about the same likely to die on Polish roads as on Irish roads.

I feel safer on roads in place I'm from in Poland than in place I live in Ireland.

I'm not exaggerating one bit. I spent 3 solid weeks travelling Poland in a camper. We were supposed to share the driving amongst the four guys but everyone felt safer with me at the wheel so I did about 80% of it.

I know bad driving when I see it every hour of the day when we were on the road.

There was far too many risk takers in Poland it's up there with some of the worst risk takers I've ever seen and iv driven in more than ten different countries on 4 continents.

So to say I am exaggerating is a farce. The stats back up my conclusions.

Anyway we are off topic here.

Sobanek wrote: »
    Irish people lack balls when driving. Honestly.
    I agree, it is quite stressful to drive in Poland, but in Poland I don't see people not using their indicators, having their foglights on, or using the roundabout incorrectly.

There should be no balls when driving.

Balls are not for public roads.

I own and drive an M3 and it's a car for the brain not for my crotch.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

I bet you get a little twich down there every time you turn the key :D:D

I know I would.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

listermint wrote: »
    I'm not exaggerating one bit.
    You are, of course.
    You said that video shown from Russia reminds you of 70% of driving you've seen in Poland.
    I'm telling that over many many years living there and driving, I've never seen one incident which would be even close as dangerous as one on the video. Fact that incident on a video didn't end up with accident is purely miracle.

I spent 3 solid weeks travelling Poland in a camper.
    Well as I said I used to drive there everyday for 10 years, and done over 300kkm. That probably gives me bit wider spectrum of the situation there.
    We were supposed to share the driving amongst the four guys but everyone felt safer with me at the wheel so I did about 80% of it.

I know bad driving when I see it every hour of the day when we were on the road.
    Bad driving is what I mostly see in Ireland.
    No indicating, not using mirrors, not being aware of the surroundings. Not keeping right road position - f.e. driving outside the lane lines even if there is enough space to fit in lane. Parking nearly everywhere very often without any consideration for others (and that include motorways).
    And on top of that complete lack of knowledge of even the most basic rules of the road by some drivers.
    This is what I see in Ireland everyday, and that's what I would describe "bad driving".

In Poland you have some people driving dangerously or erratically - that's true.
    But it's not like you are describing it. It would be only few % of drivers who has no respect for any rules of the road and cause dangerous situations. Vast majority of drivers drive normally and safely, and they do it much better than average Irish drivers.
    On Irish roads you also see people with no respect for road safety causing dangerous situation - it's just probably less of them than in Poland.

There was far too many risk takers in Poland it's up there with some of the worst risk takers I've ever seen and iv driven in more than ten different countries on 4 continents.

I could probably put here dashcam video here lasting an hour, showing driving in Poland, where you wouldn't see a single driver doing anything wrong. (not even forgetting to put indicator).
    Such video would be impossible to make in Ireland.
    So to say I am exaggerating is a farce. The stats back up my conclusions.
    They don't really.
    As I said - road safety in general on Polish roads is far worse than in Ireland. That's a fact. More people die per capita on roads.

But there are several reasons for that. If I was to list the major ones.
    1. Huge amount of traffic on some local roads, which include international transit traffic of thousands of artic trucks mixed with local traffic of ordinary person just driving up to the shops. Problem which is non existant in Ireland. That's causing lots of deaths on Polish roads.

2. Old car fleet. Lots of cars in Poland are from 90's with very little safety feature. In the same situation Irish person driving 09 corolla with ESP, would probably avoid accident just by car preventing from skidding by ESP, and even if accident would happen, multiple airbags would help. Nothing like that in 20 year old Cinquecento of Polish driver. Same accident would end up probably fatally.

3. Big amount of pedestrians, especially on country roads, which don't care about their lives - wear dark clothes at night, walk completely drunk sometimes in the middle of the road.

As I said above - I feel safer driving in Poland in place where I'm from and where I go regularly, than driving in West of Mayo. I think I'm more likely to die on the road here in Mayo.
    Anyway we are off topic here.

We wouldn't be if you didn't start.
    However it's very interesting subject (at least for me) and I would love mods to move this conversation to separate thread so we could discuss without trashing dashcam thread.

• Advertisement

You are, of course.
    You said that video shown from Russia reminds you of 70% of driving you've seen in Poland.
    I'm telling that over many many years living there and driving, I've never seen one incident which would be even close as dangerous as one on the video. Fact that incident on a video didn't end up with accident is purely miracle.

Well as I said I used to drive there everyday for 10 years, and done over 300kkm. That probably gives me bit wider spectrum of the situation there.

Bad driving is what I mostly see in Ireland.
    No indicating, not using mirrors, not being aware of the surroundings. Not keeping right road position - f.e. driving outside the lane lines even if there is enough space to fit in lane. Parking nearly everywhere very often without any consideration for others (and that include motorways).
    And on top of that complete lack of knowledge of even the most basic rules of the road by some drivers.
    This is what I see in Ireland everyday, and that's what I would describe "bad driving".

In Poland you have some people driving dangerously or erratically - that's true.
    But it's not like you are describing it. It would be only few % of drivers who has no respect for any rules of the road and cause dangerous situations. Vast majority of drivers drive normally and safely, and they do it much better than average Irish drivers.
    On Irish roads you also see people with no respect for road safety causing dangerous situation - it's just probably less of them than in Poland.

I could probably put here dashcam video here lasting an hour, showing driving in Poland, where you wouldn't see a single driver doing anything wrong. (not even forgetting to put indicator).
    Such video would be impossible to make in Ireland.

They don't really.
    As I said - road safety in general on Polish roads is far worse than in Ireland. That's a fact. More people die per capita on roads.

But there are several reasons for that. If I was to list the major ones.
    1. Huge amount of traffic on some local roads, which include international transit traffic of thousands of artic trucks mixed with local traffic of ordinary person just driving up to the shops. Problem which is non existant in Ireland. That's causing lots of deaths on Polish roads.

2. Old car fleet. Lots of cars in Poland are from 90's with very little safety feature. In the same situation Irish person driving 09 corolla with ESP, would probably avoid accident just by car preventing from skidding by ESP, and even if accident would happen, multiple airbags would help. Nothing like that in 20 year old Cinquecento of Polish driver. Same accident would end up probably fatally.

3. Big amount of pedestrians, especially on country roads, which don't care about their lives - wear dark clothes at night, walk completely drunk sometimes in the middle of the road.

As I said above - I feel safer driving in Poland in place where I'm from and where I go regularly, than driving in West of Mayo. I think I'm more likely to die on the road here in Mayo.

We wouldn't be if you didn't start.
    However it's very interesting subject (at least for me) and I would love mods to move this conversation to separate thread so we could discuss without trashing dashcam thread.

Agreed it should be moved.

The stats indicate everything you said is not fairly accurate.

Lack of indication and Lane procedures bear no comparison to my first hand experience with risk taking.

There are three other people that can attest to the shock we experienced with the aggressive and plain risky behaviour and that was just in a three weeks space.

Again the stats are completely at odds to your opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

I think the fact listermint was driving a campervan is probably a big contribution to the different experiences you each have. Someone driving a campervan will be more likely to see a lot more overtaking (of themselves) than somebody travelling at/above the limit and making good progress.

cormie wrote: »
    I think the fact listermint was driving a campervan is probably a big contribution to the different experiences you each have. Someone driving a campervan will be more likely to see a lot more overtaking (of themselves) than somebody travelling at/above the limit and making good progress.

I would take that as fair point but a lot of this overtaking was against us with heavy good vehicles. The number of times we had to slow down to avoid incoming idiots I couldn't count on two hands

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 suasdaguna2

Re dash cams.....i bought two off ebay, came from far east i think.....both utter junk and gave up the ghost. I use a go pro now in the car with an extra battery/charge kit from flea bay.....works perfect

• Registered Users Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

listermint wrote: »
    Agreed it should be moved.

The stats indicate everything you said is not fairly accurate.

What I said is based on my own observations.
    Lack of indication and Lane procedures bear no comparison to my first hand experience with risk taking.

Agree. It's completely different thing, but I just referred to this as "bad driving", as this is how I understand bad driving in oppose to risky driving.
    To conclude in very short - Irish are bad drivers, while Polish are risky drivers. Obviously it's not a rule, but general observation.

There are three other people that can attest to the shock we experienced with the aggressive and plain risky behaviour and that was just in a three weeks space.
    I never said otherwise. There are risky drivers out there in Poland, and there is more of them than in Ireland.
    What I'm saying though, that it's not necesserily a reason for bigger road death rate shown in stats.
    Again the stats are completely at odds to your opinion.
    I made some quick stats digging.
    http://ec.europa.eu/polska/news/140331_wypadki_drogowe_pl.htm
    It's in Polish, but table with numbers should be clear.
    On Irish roads in 2001 there was 107 people killed per million. On Polish roads in 2012 (when you were there) there was 93 people killed per million.
    So it looks like according to stats it was more dangerous on Irish roads in 2001 than it was in Poland when you were there.
    What is the reason for that? Because with your logic, it looks like Irish drivers were even more risky then in 2001 than Polish drivers are now. I don't really believe it's true.
    The main reason why road deaths has fallen so much in Ireland over last 13 years, is few factors.
    1. Lots of roads upgraded to motorways.
    2. Car fleet exchanged from old 90's bangers without NCT to plenty of new safe cars.

Driving style in Ireland didn't change much. Roads have changed and cars have changed. And that made huge difference in road safety. Not fact if minority of drivers take a risk or not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

To conclude in very short - Irish are bad drivers, while Polish are risky drivers.

So what you are saying is, that one set of drivers are ignorant, and that the others are arrogant, but they are both disobeying the rules of the road.

What I said is based on my own observations.

Agree. It's completely different thing, but I just referred to this as "bad driving", as this is how I understand bad driving in oppose to risky driving.
    To conclude in very short - Irish are bad drivers, while Polish are risky drivers. Obviously it's not a rule, but general observation.

I never said otherwise. There are risky drivers out there in Poland, and there is more of them than in Ireland.
    What I'm saying though, that it's not necesserily a reason for bigger road death rate shown in stats.

I made some quick stats digging.
    http://ec.europa.eu/polska/news/140331_wypadki_drogowe_pl.htm
    It's in Polish, but table with numbers should be clear.
    On Irish roads in 2001 there was 107 people killed per million. On Polish roads in 2012 (when you were there) there was 93 people killed per million.
    So it looks like according to stats it was more dangerous on Irish roads in 2001 than it was in Poland when you were there.
    What is the reason for that? Because with your logic, it looks like Irish drivers were even more risky then in 2001 than Polish drivers are now. I don't really believe it's true.
    The main reason why road deaths has fallen so much in Ireland over last 13 years, is few factors.
    1. Lots of roads upgraded to motorways.
    2. Car fleet exchanged from old 90's bangers without NCT to plenty of new safe cars.

Driving style in Ireland didn't change much. Roads have changed and cars have changed. And that made huge difference in road safety. Not fact if minority of drivers take a risk or not.

Whilst some of your comments make sense. Your opinion differs from mine.

I'd garner based on your posts I've driven more than you globally and have more experience of different drivers.

Rather than this being a pissing contest of nationalities.

The stats speak volumes and tally with everything I've said. What they do not do is tally with your opinion.

So il leave it at that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭hju6

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

hju6 wrote: »
    near miss

Knowing that a dash cam has a wide angle lens and things appear much furthers away than they actually are, that guy was very close to getting his lycra pants all covered in his own blood.

What a spanner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭hju6

Knowing that a dash cam has a wide angle lens and things appear much furthers away than they actually are, that guy was very close to getting his lycra pants all covered in his own blood.

What a spanner.

I had to swerve slightly to miss him, while keeping an eye on the other one exiting the garage,
    When they are in a gang they tend to do as they please,

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Just to put this Polish/Irish thing to rest, which quite frankly is fecking pointless.
    The Polish take extremely big risks when driving, how do I know? I've been here many years and I've done many KM from east to west and north to south.
    Is there a truck coming? Yep, ok then overtake now and force the other driver over! I'm driving here at the moment and I also see it first hand. Ignorance is bliss and if I had to compare Polish drivers with another EU country then it would be Italians and not Irish.
    As for Irish drivers, how drivers are still able to join a motorway going the wrong way and not even realise it is beyond me.
    When I go home to Galway I see people sticking to the overtaking lane but overtaking sweet **** all, does this happen in Poland? Yeah it does, but most of them will just move out of your way.
    I also can't stand how if you overtake a motorist in Ireland and they will feel it wasn't appropriate then you are blasted with high beams until you are out of their site.
    I'm not going to defend either countries for their driving but many drivers have a lot to learn.
    @Sobanek - you mention that Irish drivers don't have balls, to be honest here now, when a truck is coming or a line of traffic and taking the chance to overtake instead of waiting doesn't give you balls but it makes you a bad driver.
    Now, can we get back to videos which is what this bloody thread is all about?!

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭revileandy

What's the story with filming the Gardai with one of these cam's?

I had a run in with an umarked car yesterday who wasn't paying attention and drifted into my lane. I beeped the fella and he just blocked me and stared at me.

He didn't move so I drove around him and went on my way.

He tailed me up the road for a bit and then put the lights on, pulled me in and asked for the license.

I asked why he pulled me and he said I was driving agressively (using the horn is now agressive behaviour!).

I asked him did he realise he was drifting into the wrong lane and his answer was 'Do you want to go down that road, is that the way you want to do this'. He spent the next 10-15 mins checking my license, tax, insurance, nct, tyres (all of which were perfect!), gave me a half arsed apology about being in the wrong lane and sent me on my way.

On the back of that I was then delayed by him and the subsequent trafiic in picking up my 11 month old son which was then at my expense. Utterly pointless.

My thought afterwards were that I would have loved to have recorded it because as I was arguing with him I realised I just had to shut up as it was his word against mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Sterling Archer

I don't know the law regarding it, but I'd believe it's ok, being in a public place and all, the one thing to note is how good your cameras mic is, as the garda will be outside your care and talking down at you thus the sound might not carry to the mic.

I don't think that the Gardaí care too much about being videoed doing things wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭Mick55

revileandy wrote: »
    What's the story with filming the Gardai with one of these cam's?

I had a run in with an umarked car yesterday who wasn't paying attention and drifted into my lane. I beeped the fella and he just blocked me and stared at me.

He didn't move so I drove around him and went on my way.

He tailed me up the road for a bit and then put the lights on, pulled me in and asked for the license.

I asked why he pulled me and he said I was driving agressively (using the horn is now agressive behaviour!).

I asked him did he realise he was drifting into the wrong lane and his answer was 'Do you want to go down that road, is that the way you want to do this'. He spent the next 10-15 mins checking my license, tax, insurance, nct, tyres (all of which were perfect!), gave me a half arsed apology about being in the wrong lane and sent me on my way.

On the back of that I was then delayed by him and the subsequent trafiic in picking up my 11 month old son which was then at my expense. Utterly pointless.

My thought afterwards were that I would have loved to have recorded it because as I was arguing with him I realised I just had to shut up as it was his word against mine.

I can't stand this, worst type of Garda out there ( There are quite a few sound ones out there too ). This type of Garda are dangerous and if you take them on will only delight in running you into the ground. Stereotypical bully victim/ power tripper. Had exactly the same thing happen me years ago, Garda cut in front of me going through a roundabout ( Cut from outside lane into inside lane on roundabout and back to outside lane exiting the roundabout ) in an unmarked Peugeot 407 Coupe, gave him the flash and the beep and exact same outcome as above, sickening outcome as I did nothing wrong but had to sit there and be bullied by someone abusing their power as a Guard.

Shane_ef wrote: »
    I don't know the law regarding it, but I'd believe it's ok, being in a public place and all, the one thing to note is how good your cameras mic is, as the garda will be outside your care and talking down at you thus the sound might not carry to the mic.

As far as I know you can film a public servant once they are on duty completely lawfully.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

talking down at you

as always :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

Mick55 wrote: »
    As far as I know you can film a public servant once they are on duty completely lawfully.

You can film them in public where there is no expectation of privacy. You can't follow them into the toilet, for example, just because they're on duty. If they're inside your neighbour's house, there'd be an expectation of privacy - smearing yourself against the window in an effort to record wouldn't be a good move :)

You also can't film if it would get in the way of letting them perform their duties. Sticking a camera in his face while he's trying to read your NCT disc is a no-no. Capturing him on video from the dashcam that happens to be mounted there is OK. Don't stand 2cm behind her while she's trying to arrest someone (thereby distracting her or hindering her movement). Don't get between him and a suspect "because the light is better here". Basically, don't be a dick.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭Mick55

Thoie wrote: »
    You can film them in public where there is no expectation of privacy.

Thanks for the clarification, I was unsure of the particulars.
    Thoie wrote: »
    smearing yourself against the window in an effort to record wouldn't be a good move :)

:pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Sterling Archer

smearing yourself against the window in an effort to record wouldn't be a good move :)

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRwHvD1JhVmHA0KjppITkPZBJNEil6gzXr6EtpBR84TXXkEZ2EkLA

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Just saw this, but Irish Garda are exempt from traffic laws during the course of duty from what I know?

With driving like that, how the hell does he stay on the road!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

cormie wrote: »
    Just saw this, but Irish Garda are exempt from traffic laws during the course of duty from what I know?

Exempt from most traffic laws except drink driving, dangerous and careless driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭celticbest

^^or indicators...

Someone who just wanted to get as close to the dole office as possible.
    Despite nearly causing a crash and ignoring the car park on the opposite side of the road. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Dacelonid

Someone who just wanted to get as close to the dole office as possible.
    Despite nearly causing a crash and ignoring the car park on the opposite side of the road. :rolleyes:

And parking on double yellow lines... a regular occurrence there

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement