Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sony Xperia S

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,091 ✭✭✭batistuta9

ED E wrote: »
    Yep, backup then wipe and update or backup then update and wipe, either works.

Nah, minor updates dont bother with this, just major revisions :)

cheers.

yeah has a quick look at it on google & it's said for major OS changes. giving from XP to Windows 7 as the example
    & even said Vista to Windows 7 would be OK, so figured firmware would be

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Joekers

Just updated to ICS there now and have to say its great :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Ntocing Battery drain from Wakelock and Android System that wasnt there before

I do like the update though, stated using Nova launcher too seems useful

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Battery is better for me, lest thats the impression I get.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭PetKing

Who are you all upgrading to ICS with? Im on Meteor and getting nothing over the air, or via pc companion??

• Advertisement

PetKing wrote: »
    Who are you all upgrading to ICS with? Im on Meteor and getting nothing over the air, or via pc companion??

FLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAASSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Joekers

I'm meteor

Its based on SI number not network, least I think....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

Have a look here and see if your number is on the list. If its not on the list yet (like me) then just wait for your number to show and then you should get it over the air or via PC Companion
    http://talk.sonymobile.com/thread/42096
    FLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAASSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL.
    I presume this is a method to flash a custom ROM meaning you need to be rooted?
    Not all of us will be rooted so most will just get ICS when our number shows on the list above

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Yes I upgraded with Flashtool too.

The more polished look and feel that isn't too heavy is why I love Xperia devices.

Hopefully Ericsson getting out of the partnership doesn't destroy this. I have an uncomfortable feeling that Sony may bloat the Xperia lines.

With proper marketing, I think they would definitely be the most popular Android phones.

The only thing I thought slightly odd on this was the removal of putting it on vibrate from the lock screen and the replacement of that slide action with a camera slide action which makes no sense when camera button is already on the side of the phone and the removal of the ability to take screenshots if you hold down power button which I used a good bit for work I have to say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭loopymum

Hi, a friend of mine wants to get this phone now and I am just wondering are new phones still shipping with the yellow tint issue still?
    She would be buying from emobile.

Thanks

tui0hcg wrote: »

I presume this is a method to flash a custom ROM meaning you need to be rooted?
    Not all of us will be rooted so most will just get ICS when our number shows on the list above

Excuse my manners but WRONG! This comes up time and again on XDA.

You DO NOT need to be rooted or bootloader unlocked to flash with flashtool. To flash a CUSTOM you do, but to flash a generic like CH that everyones using right now ANY phone can do it. ANY. Network, SI, bootloader, doesnt matter.

Can those of you with decent ICS battery life let me know how much battery Android System and System Media Server and Wakelock are taking from the battery?

Thanks

Screenshot_2012-07-01-16-21-53.png
    Screenshot_2012-07-01-16-22-07.png

Photobucket isnt behaving :S

And none it seems...

Thanks, you are on Swiss Generic yes? might flash that tomorrow

Yup

Just set up my ICE( in case of emergency) number on the lockscreen but noticed a bug. If music is playing then you get the music controls instead of the clock and no ICE info.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

Excuse my manners but WRONG! This comes up time and again on XDA.

You DO NOT need to be rooted or bootloader unlocked to flash with flashtool. To flash a CUSTOM you do, but to flash a generic like CH that everyones using right now ANY phone can do it. ANY. Network, SI, bootloader, doesnt matter.

Excuse my manners too... but thats why I put a ? after my question.... I don't know what a Flashtool will do or how to use it. What I am getting at is that most users will not have a clue how to flash and do what you are talking about. Most users will just get ICS through an over the air update or when they plug in to a PC using the Companion software.
    We ain't all Flashers!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,429 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

People with locked bootloaders who want to root, will find this thread interesting :D

marcbrophy wrote: »
    People with locked bootloaders who want to root, will find this thread interesting :D

Oooooh, so giving that a shot tomorrow.

• Advertisement

naughtb4 wrote: »
    Can those of you with decent ICS battery life let me know how much battery Android System and System Media Server and Wakelock are taking from the battery?

Thanks

Not sure if this will help you or not as I didn't use the phone for anything for around 24/26 hours, it was just sitting there on - i went out left it behind.

64% - Discharging
    1d 2h 33m 32s on battery

Android System - 36%
    Cell standby - 28%
    Phone idle - 17%
    Screen - 15%
    Maps - 6%

batistuta9 wrote: »
    Not sure if this will help you or not as I didn't use the phone for anything for around 24/26 hours, it was just sitting there on - i went out left it behind.

64% - Discharging
    1d 2h 33m 32s on battery

Android System - 36%
    Cell standby - 28%
    Phone idle - 17%
    Screen - 15%
    Maps - 6%

Thanks did you have data connections on or airplane mode?

Definitly seems be be excessive Android System usage on the Irish ICS/Phones, odd one

Thanks did you have data connections on or airplane mode?

Definitly seems be be excessive Android System usage on the Irish ICS/Phones, odd one

No, WiFi, Bluetooth, airplane mode were all off

In Mobile Networks >>> Data enabled was checked though, you want me to check anything else?

i'm on Three btw if that makes any difference, as Android System is very low in the screenshot ED E posted

batistuta9 wrote: »
    No, WiFi, Bluetooth, airplane mode were all off

In Mobile Networks >>> Data enabled was checked though, you want me to check anything else?

i'm on Three btw if that makes any difference, as Android System is very low in the screenshot ED E posted

Sorry, was Data (E/3G) on or off?

If off, id say thats considerable drain, if on thats not too bad at all

Sorry, was Data (E/3G) on or off?

If off, id say thats considerable drain, if on thats not too bad at all

is not what i listed before Mobile Networks >>> Data enabled
    and it was checked, so on.

if not where do i find it?

Settings -> More -> Mobile Networks -> Network Mode, this can be set to GSM only or WDCMA/GSM.

Settings -> More -> Mobile Networks -> Network Mode, this can be set to GSM only or WDCMA/GSM.

that isn't in my Mobile network settings

I've got:
    Data enabled
    Data roaming
    use only 3G networks - this is what i think you mean & i didn't have it selected
    Access Point Names
    network operators

• Registered Users Posts: 3,666 ✭✭✭mondeo

Can anyone tell me if Skype is working on the xperia s ?
    Is the video chat working?

Oooooh, so giving that a shot tomorrow.

Still cant decide if I should do this with my daily driver or not.....:/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,429 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Still cant decide if I should do this with my daily driver or not.....:/

I didn't read much past the first post myself!
    Does it work?

Advertisement