Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Android 4.0 Tablet (7" Capacitive, Wi-Fi, 1GHz) = €92

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭eamonnq

Still unable to track mine via dhl from aliexpress via fancy team. There saying it prob stuck in customs in hk. There communication is good usually a reply within a hour but it's getting annoying.

Can you see any information regarding the tracking number on the DHL website yet ?

Sometimes it can be a few days before it shows up on the tracking, I think this is because the seller 'allocates' a reference number to it, but it only starts tracking once DHL get their hands on the parcel. Once it starts moving though you should see it in a couple of days.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭PowerHouseDan

Nope nothing coming up whatsoever.
    eamonnq wrote: »
    Still unable to track mine via dhl from aliexpress via fancy team. There saying it prob stuck in customs in hk. There communication is good usually a reply within a hour but it's getting annoying.

Can you see any information regarding the tracking number on the DHL website yet ?

Sometimes it can be a few days before it shows up on the tracking, I think this is because the seller 'allocates' a reference number to it, but it only starts tracking once DHL get their hands on the parcel. Once it starts moving though you should see it in a couple of days.

I would think that means that DHL have not actually collected the parcel at all yet, your seller may tell you that it has been shipped as they probably have to ship within 2 days or something, but most likely it has not been sent at all yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭JabbaTheHut

Chriscl1 wrote: »
    Cheers jabba. I think I'll order it so. Are you happy with yours? Is it good for watching videoes and YouTube?

Can't tell you for sure. I got it for my sister in law. She's giving it to her son for his birthday in a couple of weeks. I really just opened it to charge it and check it was working. I did use youtube on it, and for what I was doing with it, it was grand.

I would think that means that DHL have not actually collected the parcel at all yet, your seller may tell you that it has been shipped as they probably have to ship within 2 days or something, but most likely it has not been sent at all yet.

A week tomorrow since it was "shipped"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,487 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I ordered a tablet from aliexpress yesterday by UPS Expedited. Hope it gets to me okay. Currently 'Order being processed' in it's status.

I had order processing till about 9 hours before the time ended. I'm fairly pissed off at the situation and pointed out this thread to the seller just to say the vast amount of people ordered tablets.
    sheehy83 wrote: »
    I ordered a tablet from aliexpress yesterday by UPS Expedited. Hope it gets to me okay. Currently 'Order being processed' in it's status.

I would sincerely doubt that it was actually shipped at at all yet. If DHL had received the parcel a week ago, it would be well here by now.

I would think it more likely that your seller is still waiting to receive the item themselves, and they will then ship it to you (using the DHL reference they have given you.

Ask them when DHL collected the parcel from them, and tell them you want to follow up with DHL directly, they should have a signature from the parcel being collected by DHL (if it was).

I would doubt aswell to be honest. Regret now going with them to be honest. And if they call me dear one more time!!!!!
    I would sincerely doubt that it was actually shipped at at all yet. If DHL had received the parcel a week ago, it would be well here by now.

I would think it more likely that your seller is still waiting to receive the item themselves, and they will then ship it to you (using the DHL reference they have given you.

Ask them when DHL collected the parcel from them, and tell them you want to follow up with DHL directly, they should have a signature from the parcel being collected by DHL (if it was).

On a side note, the one I ordered arrived via DHL about 9 days after placing the order. They had it in their warehouse for about a day until I emailed them off a reciept for the VAT charges. But, I got charged more VAT than the item was valued at because of the free shipping. It was not included on the reciept, so I was charged VAT on the weight of it, costing an extra €14 or so. If I want that back, I have to start emailing off Paypal. Dose. Is there any way in the future that i can avoid this from happening. The extra VAT charge, not the VAT on the cost of the item?

• Advertisement

They do tend to be 'economical with the truth' sometimes, but that is one of the pitfalls with dealing with sellers on aliexpress, some are good, some are good some of the time, and some are good until you actually use them!!

But, I got charged more VAT than the item was valued at because of the free shipping. It was not included on the reciept, so I was charged VAT on the weight of it, costing an extra €14 or so. If I want that back, I have to start emailing off Paypal. Dose. Is there any way in the future that i can avoid this from happening. The extra VAT charge, not the VAT on the cost of the item?

Not sure how that works, I would have thought you should have been charged VAT on the total you paid for the item. Whether shipping was free or chargeable, the total paid is what you should have paid vat on.

I may be incorrect, mistaken or even wrong but that is the impression I have been under.

Any place with the elf in stock? Going to try get a refund on my Aliex order. #notimpressed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

Not sure how that works, I would have thought you should have been charged VAT on the total you paid for the item. Whether shipping was free or chargeable, the total paid is what you should have paid vat on.

I may be incorrect, mistaken or even wrong but that is the impression I have been under.

Yep, so was I. This is the first time I got an estimate on shipping with regards to customs and VAT. Mind you, it's the first time I had to pay the charges through DHL. When I contacted them, they sent me this as part of a ppt.

Customs calculate Customs Duty & VAT on,
    – Cost of Goods + Transportation Costs = Customs Value. (This definition is on
    the Revenue.ie site, see url on Page 6)
    Transport Charges
    – If the shipper does NOT include the shipping charges as a separate line on your
    invoice. Then customs will assign a Transport Charge to your shipment based on
    the weight.
    – If the Transport Charges are NOT separated on your “Proof of Purchase” EG. Paypal
    Receipt. Then Customs will assign a Transport Charge to your shipment based on
    the weight.
    – This value is based on the freight charges detailed on Slide 4.
    This “Customs Value” definition is often the reason for the “perception” that you
    may have being overcharged VAT by DHL Express Ireland Limited

The slide 4 mentioned gives the various charges according to weight. Bit of a joke really when the paypal reciept shows the total amount paid to the vendor.

Everyone Seemed to Use Fancy team from here and Most other Websites i just seem to of got the *sh*T end of the stick....Opened a Dispute there so hopefully will get exactly the truth...
    They do tend to be 'economical with the truth' sometimes, but that is one of the pitfalls with dealing with sellers on aliexpress, some are good, some are good some of the time, and some are good until you actually use them!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭hefferboi

Which is better, the elf or the aurora? Just for browsing, movies and games??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

hefferboi wrote: »
    Which is better, the elf or the aurora? Just for browsing, movies and games??

Here is a comparison from earlier in the thread of the different models, saying that the only difference between the Elf and the Aurora is that the Aurora has an IPS screen.

The IPS screen should give you a better picture and better viewing angles (might be important to you if say two kids are looking at the same screen in the back of the car) but the IPS screen is said to be more power hungry, although in practical terms I don't know what the difference in battery life is going to be. Perhaps some users can give some feedback?

invest4deepvalue.com

• Registered Users Posts: 6,389 ✭✭✭jonski

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

Do-more wrote: »
    (might be important to you if say two kids are looking at the same screen in the back of the car)

DEfinitely spend the extra on IPS the difference is enormous in terms of quality, whats the point of a tablet that you can only look at +- 5 or 10 degrees without losing contrast and colour and for the sake of the extra few quid. The whole appeal of the tablet is being able to use it anywhere at any angle.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,800 ✭✭✭take everything

Yep, so was I. This is the first time I got an estimate on shipping with regards to customs and VAT. Mind you, it's the first time I had to pay the charges through DHL. When I contacted them, they sent me this as part of a ppt.

Customs calculate Customs Duty & VAT on,
    – Cost of Goods + Transportation Costs = Customs Value. (This definition is on
    the Revenue.ie site, see url on Page 6)
    Transport Charges
    – If the shipper does NOT include the shipping charges as a separate line on your
    invoice. Then customs will assign a Transport Charge to your shipment based on
    the weight.
    – If the Transport Charges are NOT separated on your “Proof of Purchase” EG. Paypal
    Receipt. Then Customs will assign a Transport Charge to your shipment based on
    the weight.
    – This value is based on the freight charges detailed on Slide 4.
    This “Customs Value” definition is often the reason for the “perception” that you
    may have being overcharged VAT by DHL Express Ireland Limited

The slide 4 mentioned gives the various charges according to weight. Bit of a joke really when the paypal reciept shows the total amount paid to the vendor.

Havn't read the last few pages (so not sure if completely relevant) but i ordered something through DHL recently and they had similar to me. Some notional charge on shipping that they dream up to calculate their own VAT because (they said) there was no shipping value declared on the item.
    Messed me around for 2 days. Finally asked them about the exact provenance of this notional charge and if they could provide me with a SAD (the customs proof) and they said "oh it's an error". Seemed very fishy.
    Dunno if it's similar to you but anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 lambayrules

I have just purchased the Ainol Aurora from this seller

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ainol-Novo-7-Aurora-8GB-Wi-Fi-7in-Screen-Black-Android-Tablet-PC-Novo7-IPS-UK-/221008167458?pt=UK_iPad_Tablets_eReaders&hash=item33751d0222

£139.99 plus £6.49 pp based in wales.
    I mailed to check if it he selling the Aurora with the new LG IPS screen and he confirmed that it was.

I will let you know how i get on.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭hefferboi

Think I'll go with the Aurora. Anyone know any good websites to buy it new? Preferably U.K but China will do.

Also, just wondering, can you you play ps one games or N64 games on tablets?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,161 ✭✭✭Sappy404

hefferboi wrote: »
    Think I'll go with the Aurora. Anyone know any good websites to buy it new? Preferably U.K but China will do.

Also, just wondering, can you you play ps one games or N64 games on tablets?

I'm fairly certain I saw a video review of an Android tablet on youtube and saw an N64 emulator on there while he was demonstrating. I've no idea how well it works though, or if it would be compatible with the Aurora.

Havn't read the last few pages (so not sure if completely relevant) but i ordered something through DHL recently and they had similar to me. Some notional charge on shipping that they dream up to calculate their own VAT because (they said) there was no shipping value declared on the item.
    Messed me around for 2 days. Finally asked them about the exact provenance of this notional charge and if they could provide me with a SAD (the customs proof) and they said "oh it's an error". Seemed very fishy.

Did you get the extra charge back from them?

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Stevo105

• Registered Users Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭M00lers

Liking the look and spec of this one. What do you think?

Any thoughts on this? Where's the best place to research the capablilities or lack of for these Chinese tablets?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭brimal

Any thoughts on this? Where's the best place to research the capablilities or lack of for these Chinese tablets?

Slatedroid forums is the best place to research Android tablets.

Just letting you guys know, the Ainol Elf II is out soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭illdoit2morrow

Hmm, My Aurora is been shipped by DHL at the moment, did you have to pay the charge in the end?

Advertisement