Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Android 4.0 Tablet (7" Capacitive, Wi-Fi, 1GHz) = €92

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭PowerHouseDan

Anyone have a link about what customs Roms etc to install?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

• Registered Users Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭M00lers

Liking the look and spec of this one. What do you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭TheReverend

Jarren wrote: »

If you are gonna spend that much go for an Asus transformer

• Advertisement

Jarren wrote: »

If you are gonna spend that much go for an Asus transformer

The price has changed unfortunately, it was initially 249.99 pounds including delivery.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 bejaysus

My 8gb Elf just arrived from http://www.mcbub.com/ today, €114 before customs got their hands on it, €130 after but still very happy.

This is my first tab so might be a bit overexcited and have not used others other than playing around in the shops but I'm really surprised by the quality and speed of the Elf for the money, only downside - battery time.

What kinda time you gettin out of it.
    bejaysus wrote: »
    My 8gb Elf just arrived from http://www.mcbub.com/ today, €114 before customs got their hands on it, €130 after but still very happy.

This is my first tab so might be a bit overexcited and have not used others other than playing around in the shops but I'm really surprised by the quality and speed of the Elf for the money, only downside - battery time.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 bejaysus

What kinda time you gettin out of it.

Having just got it today not fully sure but "sh*t is the battery gone already" was said a few times but that was with heavy usage, films music etc. Maybe with normal usage it might not be to bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

I found the battery in my Aurora improved once I let it charge\discharge a few times, with normal use, over a few days.

Still not the best though.

• Advertisement

Are people installing Essential Clean or elfish Rom?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

Are people installing Essential Clean or elfish Rom?
    Is it really worth putting one of these ROMs on at all? The (latest) official ROM seems to be pretty decent - what do these ones add?

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Donal94

I've been reading the tread for ages was about to order one from gadgetfreakz but it was working out at €170 delivered so i went with mcbub anyone any idea how long delivery will take? their own ifo was vague

• Registered Users Posts: 55,470 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

If you went with DHL, about 9 days I think. So if you order on a Wednesday, you'll get it the following Friday week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭deadduck

Hey everyone,
    Given that this thread is 30 pages long (on my phone, anyway), can someone save me a lot of reading and give me a summary of the best value tablet available thus far

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

deadduck wrote: »
    Hey everyone,
    Given that this thread is 30 pages long (on my phone, anyway), can someone save me a lot of reading and give me a summary of the best value tablet available thus far

thanks

Your budget? Screen size? Do you want to mod / put on your own rom? What will you be using it for? Are you willing to risk importing a non-brand name tablet from China with a decent spec? You need to be more specific.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭deadduck

MayoForSam wrote: »
    deadduck wrote: »
    Hey everyone,

thanks

Your budget? Screen size? Do you want to mod / put on your own rom? What will you be using it for? Are you willing to risk importing a non-brand name tablet from China with a decent spec? You need to be more specific.

No budget, 7 or 10 inch is fine. Like I said, best value is what I'm looking for. Custom rom is no problem. Used for general browsing, and a few games. Battery life would be main concern.

Order From aliexpress Friday still waiting for shipment bahumbug

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Is this one from Xtravision any good? It's priced at €129.99

http://www.xtravision.ie/electronic/Prestigio-MultiPad-PMP3384B
    video, music, pictures and eBooks. Get the unlimited communication opportunities on the web. Thanks to Internet via WiFi you will be in touch with your family and friends any place at any time you want. Enjoy numerous 3rd party apps, watch videos & photos, read books and listen to your favorite music – wherever you go. Features: Great performance thanks to 1GHz ARM Cortex-A8 CPU, Android™ 2.3 Gingerbread, High-resolution TFT LCD display for brilliant visual experience and comfortable input, With G-sensor & 4GB memory built-in, High Speed WIFI for mobile email & Internet browsing, 3D games thanks to 3D graphic accelerator OpenGL 2.0, Slim, light weight body and stylish design, Dedicated ebook reading buttons.

I'm a bit wary about buying one from the Chinese sites.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭Sappy404

zerks wrote: »

I think people will tell you to avoid it because it's resistive. A resistive screen means you'll be pressing your finger down on the screen more as it responds to pressure, as opposed to a capacitive screen which detects your finger simply being placed on the screen. Resistive screens also don't allow multi-touch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭jobless

zerks wrote: »

so was i but i bought one from here after someone else had one delivered by them.... i got it within 8 days and havent had any probs with it since

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/905217

• Registered Users Posts: 16,523 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

jobless wrote: »
    so was i but i bought one from here after someone else had one delivered by them.... i got it within 8 days and havent had any probs with it since

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/905217
    I also bought one from aliexpress and have had no problems with it.Ordered on the 28/3/12 and had it on 6/4/12.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

+1 for Aliexpress from me as well, I ordered an Ainol Novo Aurora on the 10th and DHL just delivered it back home (7 days), so that's me sorted to do a spot of tinkering this evening :).

I did get done for customs however, apparently DHL are checking most packages (mine was put down as a $40 digital photo frame by the seller) and asked me to forward the invoice. The amount due was an extra €44, so all-in the Aurora cost me just under €170, still a good price.

There are some UK re-sellers e.g. http://gadgetfreakz.co.uk/ that sell the Aurora, but you will pay more, around €195 for an Aurora, but they're out of stock, an Elf is around €170 delivered.

I'll post up some comments on the Aurora after I've played around with it for a bit. Slatedroid seems to be the best site for info, ROM's etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭Proxy

Got my Novo 7 Paladin last week. Only been playing around with it for a few days, so these are first impressions. I haven't rooted/upgraded the ROM, although I did quickly try at the start before doing a factory reset. Good to note that there isn't Flash as default but YouTube works via HTML5 (as does with iPad).

Some points:
    • Ordered from Focalprice - Would not recommend. Customer service was terrible, no proper updates on shipping, was told shipped on one date and received another "shipped" email over two weeks later, where it then showed up on the rubbish ChinaPost site. Packaging was also dreadful, no padding at all. Was lucky to get the tablet I'd say. Envelope was ripped in parts (from friction) and the cardboard box containing the tablet was crumpled. No obvious damage to the device, luckily.
    • Device: Impressed with battery life and responsiveness. Battery life seems to increase as I ran down and charged up twice.
    • It's a little smaller than I would want, I think. I guess I'm familiar with playing with 9/10 inch tablets rather than 7inch, it's definitely workable and useful, but I think I can see myself trading up to a 10 inch tab later in the year.
    • Screen is good, and video is excellent. Viewing angle is wide, picture is sharp. The HD video loaded on as stock video shows this off well. Media player is great, played every format I loaded to it. This is mainly what I wanted the device for.
    • Wifi seems to drop out every now and again due to 'Authentication Problem', this seems to be a fault of ICS 4.01, blogs report 4.03 fixes it, i'll probably attempt that later in the week with the links earlier in this thread.
    • Browser is ok, most sites convert to tablet or mobile, there are ways around that using about:UAgent. Handles even media-heavy sites well, loads broadsheet.ie faster than it does on my desktop!
    • The MIPS vs ARM issue is annoying but can get around it. Need to find a Facebook/Twitter client APK to sideload, other than that I'm not too bothered for what I'm using the tablet for. In fairness, for €80-odd it's a fantastic device. Overall I'm thinking I'd give it a 7 or 8/10 compared to the €400/500 tabs out there particularly because the ICS port works so smoothly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

After reading through the pages it seems theres alot of 7inch tablets floating about, so im asking what would the best 10inch tablet be? Just to use for web browsing, checking facebook, emails etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,523 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Damo 2k9 wrote: »
    After reading through the pages it seems theres alot of 7inch tablets floating about, so im asking what would the best 10inch tablet be? Just to use for web browsing, checking facebook, emails etc.
    I bought the Onda VI40,its got a 9.7 " screen.I haven't got much time to play with it yet but it seems sound for what I want it for ie. web browsing,checking emails ,netflicks etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

How much did it cost all in? And is flash supported?

• Registered Users Posts: 33 abk

sorry guys, had posted the one that was on pigsback but then saw a thread to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 lambayrules

I was considering purchasing an Ainol Novo 7 Elf but I came across this HYUNDAI A7HD...

http://www.mcbub.com/item/7-Inch-HYUNDAI-A7HD-Android-4-0-Tablet-PC-AllWinner-A10-IPS-Capacitive-Screen-1GB-DDR3-RAM-8GB-Nand-WIFI-HDMI-Black-CP146334--146460/

Any thoughts , it looks great but one concern is the battery. 3.7v 3000MAH 5-8 hrs ?! Hmmm

The specs are comparable to ainol aurora...

• Advertisement

How long does it take to show up on dhl??? I ordered last friday and it only got shipped wednesday and still can't track it!
    MayoForSam wrote: »
    +1 for Aliexpress from me as well, I ordered an Ainol Novo Aurora on the 10th and DHL just delivered it back home (7 days), so that's me sorted to do a spot of tinkering this evening :).

I did get done for customs however, apparently DHL are checking most packages (mine was put down as a $40 digital photo frame by the seller) and asked me to forward the invoice. The amount due was an extra €44, so all-in the Aurora cost me just under €170, still a good price.

There are some UK re-sellers e.g. http://gadgetfreakz.co.uk/ that sell the Aurora, but you will pay more, around €195 for an Aurora, but they're out of stock, an Elf is around €170 delivered.

I'll post up some comments on the Aurora after I've played around with it for a bit. Slatedroid seems to be the best site for info, ROM's etc.

Advertisement