Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Android 4.0 Tablet (7" Capacitive, Wi-Fi, 1GHz) = €92

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭Qwerty?

yabadabado wrote: »
    They are talking BS.You might avoid customs but that just pure luck.

Even with Customs it seems like a good price, no?

There are Chinese sellers on Amazon selling the same one - can you confirm if they are on Amazon that mean Customs will not be due on the purchase???

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Newest-Ainol-Novo7-Aurora-ultra-slim/dp/B007RV8EF8/ref=sr_1_21?ie=UTF8&m=APT3IFMQZTYQY&s=generic&qid=1337083384&sr=1-21

• Registered Users Posts: 16,520 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Qwerty? wrote: »
    Even with Customs it seems like a good price, no?

There are Chinese sellers on Amazon selling the same one - can you confirm if they are on Amazon that mean Customs will not be due on the purchase???

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Newest-Ainol-Novo7-Aurora-ultra-slim/dp/B007RV8EF8/ref=sr_1_21?ie=UTF8&m=APT3IFMQZTYQY&s=generic&qid=1337083384&sr=1-21

From their FAQ:
    Q: Do I need to pay local taxes, import duties, tariffs, VAT or other hidden fee?

If you are coming from UK/Spain/Portugal/Danmark/Italy/Germany/Ireland/France/Belguim/Netherlands, your order will be shipped via Europe express (HongKong-UK one time custom clearing-UK or Other Europe country) and tax prepaid, you donot need to pay anything when item arrive you.

If you are from other country, you are possibily to be charged with tax when good arrive, as each country's local taxes, laws and import restrictions are peculiar to each individual country, we strongly advise you seek legal advice from your local customs or import broker concerning BEFORE you confirm you order.

I bought this tablet a few weeks back,I flashed it on Sunday and its working brilliant now.Huge improvements.
    They have been able to add apps that wouldn't work before,cleared all the Chinese apps that were useless,better browser and have also added volume buttons.they are the main improvements but I'm sure there are plenty others.

Got the info on slatedroid,very simple process.

Would you recommend this over the Ainol Aurora IPS one? where did you buy?

• Registered Users Posts: 55,452 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I'll never buy one of these crappy Chinese tabs again. You get what you pay for. Better off going for a named brand.

I have to rma a tablet to McBub (elf) that has started acting up. The speaker is busted so I have to use headphones, and the device reboots if I squeeze the housing on the left hand side. Maybe I'm unlucky, but I've learned my lesson.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Chriscl1

i got this one a couple of weeks back for £114 with free delivery to the uk then had it sent on to me. in all it took 5 days from ordering to arrive here. it has gone up in price hugely though. http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B007GXKR9I/ref=oh_details_o03_s00_i00
    its mostly going to be used by my 3yo to watch his favourite shows on long journeys.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭sgarvan

Received a customs letter today about my Ainol Novo 7 Aurora. Ordered from www.spemall.com

Have to send off invoices to revenue.

sgarvan wrote: »
    Received a customs letter today about my Ainol Novo 7 Aurora. Ordered from www.spemall.com

Have to send off invoices to revenue.

Got the bill to be paid to the an post on delivery.

Duty €0.00 (Electronic items are duty free)
    VAT €37.87
    An Post Charge €6

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭eqwjewoiujqorj

VAT €37.87
    An Post Charge €6

Vat seems very high - how much was the tablet?
    I don't see any Ainol Novo 7 Aurora for 165 Euro - unless they mixed the up the Dollar / Euro price.

I think it's best to order from Europe(eg AndroidSlates) or if ordering from the far east, a company who pay all import taxes. (eg DracoTex )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭manu2009

The new ainol novo 7 tornados looks good for a cheap tablet, only thing its missing is a hdmi port.

You can buy it here from aliexpress for $93(73e) delivered via dhl.

If you get caught by customs would be around another 17e onto that so 90e all in.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

manu2009 wrote: »
    The new ainol novo 7 tornados looks good for a cheap tablet, only thing its missing is a hdmi port.

Not just that, there's no dedicated charging power port, just the USB. You must charge through the USB, which, with Ainols, takes quite a while.

Hopefully the screen digitizer issues are a thing of the past.

Lovely tablet otherwise, I'd pick this over the Elf any day.

VAT €37.87
    An Post Charge €6

Vat seems very high - how much was the tablet?
    I don't see any Ainol Novo 7 Aurora for 165 Euro - unless they mixed the up the Dollar / Euro price.

I think it's best to order from Europe(eg AndroidSlates) or if ordering from the far east, a company who pay all import taxes. (eg DracoTex )

Full order was 165. I pod a bit extra for postage to get it here quicker. It is the 16gb version aswell. Also purchased some accessories.

wouldnt of been so much if I had of used the invoice that was generated from the company I bought it from rather than using the paypal email. AAHHHH

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭heathersonline

What's the best 10 inch budget tablet? I'm looking to order one on Friday, the a90 is the best I've been able to find

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭antomack

Is this too good to be true?? Onda Vi40 Elite 16GB for $106 (€86) delivered China or Hong Kong Air Mail. $48 EMS shipping available also.

Onda Vi40 Elite

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

IMPORTANT: China Post Air Mail deliveries might result in delays and lost parcels.

IMPORTANT: Hongkong Post Air Mail deliveries might result in delays and lost parcels.

No tracking perhaps

antomack wrote: »
    Is this too good to be true?? Onda Vi40 Elite 16GB for €106 delivered China or Hong Kong Air Mail.

Onda Vi40 Elite
    That seller has no feed back and its their first year as a seller.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭amdaley28

How about this.Seems to get good reviews but remember you get what you pay for.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/NATPC-ULTIMATE-Capacitive-Android-tablet/dp/B007V5XL94/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1337788378&sr=8-2

amdaley28 wrote: »

I was considering that one last week, but decided to go with the Ainol Aurora with the IPS screen. Didn't want the hassle of Customs/returns to China etc should something be wrong so I paid a little extra and ordered from GadgetFreakz on Friday and it was delivered on Tuesday. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭manu2009

Torn between the Ainol Advance 2 and the new Ainol Tornados, the advance 2 has a hdmi port but the tornados has double the ram and is $13 cheaper so not sure which one to get.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭CoachTO

Hey lads been following this thread. thinking of buying one of these and was looking at the Ainol Novo 7 Aurora. I travel a lot and was going to use it for watching movies and using WIFI and reading books. Is it worth the investment for such simple use? I see the Aurora got decent reviews on some sites and wondering any of you lads get one and what you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

I have an Aurora for the past 6 weeks or so, cost me about €170 all-in including delivery and charges from AliExpress.

Overall I would give it 7/10, it's very good as a media player and if you get a mini-HDMI cable, you can use it for playback on a large screen TV. You can upgrade the ROM easily, all the info you need is on Slatedroid (I am using ConRom v2 which was put together by an Irish guy). Browsing is pretty decent, I use Dolphin HD, and it does stall occasionally, but no big deal. Games run well, unless they're graphically intense when you will experience slowdown. Build-quality is only so-so, the screen is a little bit creaky when flexed. The display itself is excellent and probably the Aurora's best selling point. Battery life is around 5 hours, you can download various battery manager apps to improve this. Get yourself a case as the finish is almost too glossy and slippery in your hands. Unit gets warm after some use but this appears to be normal behaviour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭CoachTO

MayoForSam wrote: »
    I have an Aurora for the past 6 weeks or so, cost me about €170 all-in including delivery and charges from AliExpress.

Overall I would give it 7/10, it's very good as a media player and if you get a mini-HDMI cable, you can use it for playback on a large screen TV. You can upgrade the ROM easily, all the info you need is on Slatedroid (I am using ConRom v2 which was put together by an Irish guy). Browsing is pretty decent, I use Dolphin HD, and it does stall occasionally, but no big deal. Games run well, unless they're graphically intense when you will experience slowdown. Build-quality is only so-so, the screen is a little bit creaky when flexed. The display itself is excellent and probably the Aurora's best selling point. Battery life is around 5 hours, you can download various battery manager apps to improve this. Get yourself a case as the finish is almost too glossy and slippery in your hands. Unit gets warm after some use but this appears to be normal behaviour.

Cheers MayoForSam for your review. Most appreciated.

MayoForSam wrote: »

What is the benefit of upgrading the ROM?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

What is the benefit of upgrading the ROM?

'Clean' software, a lot of tablets come with dubious IP, as in, pirated software and various bloat. Faster experience, with a slimmed down operating system. Fixes, where the hardware manufacturer can't be bothered patching.. to give an example, the Ainol Aurora and its never ending digitizer problems.. ('wobbly' finger press, fanthom presses etc..)

thanks for this. Might look into it.

Do you know if there is a guide to upgrading the ROM.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

Everything you need is on Slatedroid, just use the search function. You need CWM to install the ROM from the .zip file you download (you may need to install a separate patch if you have a newer touchscreen).

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Looking at this a pressie for my young fella so it doesn't need all the bells & whistles and won't break the bank,any thoughts?

http://www.aliexpress.com/product-fm/511536211-FreeShipping-Ainol-Novo7-Tornados-Capacitive-Andriod-4-0-3-Ice-Cream-Sandwich-DDR3-1GB-8GB-Tablet-wholesalers.html

• Advertisement

I upgraded the ROM on the ONDA I bought.I am a complete novice at this kind of thing and I had no problems,its very straight forward.
    As others have said go to slatedroid and there will be all the advice you need.

Advertisement