Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2012 Cooking Club Week 2b: Indian Resturant curries

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

Hi Curry Addict

I enjoy the flavours of Indian food but the amount of oil always puts me off, I hate that film of grease on top of Indian dishes. Just wondering if I were to make your curry base with a big reduction in the amount of oil would it still work ok? What's the miminum amount of oil I could get away with do you think?

Thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭Curry Addict

Hi Curry Addict

I enjoy the flavours of Indian food but the amount of oil always puts me off, I hate that film of grease on top of Indian dishes. Just wondering if I were to make your curry base with a big reduction in the amount of oil would it still work ok? What's the miminum amount of oil I could get away with do you think?

Thank you!

I agree, its shameful tbh. not just the amount of oil but the quality in general of 90% of the indians in my area has fallen badly in recent years.

i posted an updated curry base (p14 of this tread) with the oil reduced to the bare minimum 0.003%. When making the individual curries you can get away with 2 tbs of oil to start so oil content isn't an issue in these recipes and the flavour doesn't suffer! so i think you can make them in full confidence that they are very healthy. Note, the korma and the tikka masala are a bit indulgent thought but the rest are grand.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

Hi Curry Addict

Thank you!

I agree that too much oil is off-putting but recent research is showing just how many nutrients need oil or fats to have optimum absorption in digestion. Our generation has been brainwashed with hype that fats are bad. The backlash is beginning. Spinach for example is much better for a body when prepared or dressed with butter oil like ghee rather than simply steamed.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭jimfinoc

We are looking for dips that we have with poppadoms before our main course. My wife makes up a few different ones but it would be nice to try something different.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭Overflow

In your original curry gravy recipe, how much curry gravy does this recipe make ? Or how many ladles ?

Thanks

• Advertisement

Overflow wrote: »
    In your original curry gravy recipe, how much curry gravy does this recipe make ? Or how many ladles ?

Thanks

i'm guessing as its a year and a half since ive made it and i usually made a double portion. I think it should yield 3.5 liters of base.

the current version yields approx 6-6.5 liters.

jimfinoc wrote: »
    We are looking for dips that we have with poppadoms before our main course. My wife makes up a few different ones but it would be nice to try something different.

I don't have any on hand. its a long time since we made them! id suggest books from atul kochhar or vivek singh for good recipes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭irishproduce

I am looking forward to trying this at the weekend.
    From time to time Aldi and Lidl do bags of onions for very reasonable prices so that would be a good time to start making bases and freezing.
    I looked through the whole thread but didn't see a recipe for onion bhaji, has anyone chanced it at all?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I looked through the whole thread but didn't see a recipe for onion bhaji, has anyone chanced it at all?

There's a recipe in post #7 in this thread: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=79205512

Edit: there's one here too http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=87254676

I am looking forward to trying this at the weekend.
    From time to time Aldi and Lidl do bags of onions for very reasonable prices so that would be a good time to start making bases and freezing.

Hi Irishproduce, make sure you use the recipe in post #202 for the base as its updated and better than the original! It takes a few hours of cooking time so its something that you just tip along slowly, perfect for a lazy afternoon. good luck with it and let us know how u get on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Hi Irishproduce, make sure you use the recipe in post #202 for the base as its updated and better than the original! It takes a few hours of cooking time so its something that you just tip along slowly, perfect for a lazy afternoon. good luck with it and let us know how u get on.

Do you want me to edit your first post to include a link to post #202?

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭PigeonPie

Just read through this whole thread, curry addict you are amazing! I am soooo excited to try out your recipes. Thanks for taking the time to put up all those fab recipes :)

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Do you want me to edit your first post to include a link to post #202?

great idea BaZmo please do :pac:

great idea BaZmo please do :pac:

Done!

I printed it today at work. Another poster provided a word doc with your recipes and as i kept reading i came across the healthier version so stuck it onto the back of the print out :D

Curry addict, maybe a silly question.
    Can i just halve the recipe for the curry base?
    7 litres of base seems like a huge amount for just my wife and I.
    If I halve every part of the recipe, I don't halve the cooking time do I?

Curry addict, maybe a silly question.
    Can i just halve the recipe for the curry base?
    7 litres of base seems like a huge amount for just my wife and I.
    If I halve every part of the recipe, I don't halve the cooking time do I?

after you make your first 2 curries you will have enough for about 10 curries each left which is a good yield for the time spent. I would recommend not halving it but if you do, the base will work fine with half the ingredients. The cooking time remains the same though.
    For freezing I use freezer bags and put 6 ladles of base in each, for 2 portions at a time.

Ok, thanks.
    I am starting tonight. Hoping to have the whole lot done between hours of 7 - 11 this evening.

Here is my shopping list which covers just about everything in your guide. Hopefully I can find everything now. My wife is going to kill me if she sees the receipt but hopefully she will be impressed with the food. She isn't as mad into indian food as me but she has a serious penchant for Sagwala which I will have a go off eventually.

Ginger
    Garlic
    Ground coriander
    Ground cumin
    Ground turmeric
    Garam masala
    Curry powder
    Fresh coriander
    Bay leaves
    Cinnamon sticks
    Star anise
    Cumin seeds
    Cloves
    Fenugreek leaves
    Chilli powder
    Green chillis
    Creamed coconut
    Ground almonds
    deggi mirch/ Kashmiri chilli
    Mace/ Javitri/ جاوتری/ जावित्री
    Cardamom
    Cardamom powder

Carrot
    Onions
    Cream
    Vegetable oil
    Green pepper
    Plum tomatoes
    Natural yogurt

if there is an asian shop in your area, thats the place to go, you will get best value there. You will have a lot left over so make sure you keep all your spices fresh as you will need them for next time!

if there is an asian shop in your area, thats the place to go, you will get best value there. You will have a lot left over so make sure you keep all your spices fresh as you will need them for next time!

Yeah, don't buy all that stuff in the likes of Tesco, it'll cost a fortune.

• Advertisement

When you say Asian, are you referring to a Chinese type shop or halal Arabic type place?
    I am in Limerick and we have two halal Bangladeshi owned places, one Afghanistan owned place and we also have a Chinese supermarket. I could go into them all and tick off as I go I suppose but for speed, it would handy to know what is going to be in each place.

When you say Asian, are you referring to a Chinese type shop or halal Arabic type place?
    I am in Limerick and we have two halal Bangladeshi owned places, one Afghanistan owned place and we also have a Chinese supermarket. I could go into them all and tick off as I go I suppose but for speed, it would handy to know what is going to be in each place.

the Bangladeshi shops should have all of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

the Bangladeshi shops should have all of it!

Hi, in your opinion, what is the best way to store dry spices?
    Airtight container in fridge?

eisenberg1 wrote: »
    Hi, in your opinion, what is the best way to store dry spices?
    Airtight container in fridge?

I posted a pic of my setup in this tread somewhere :) Airtight kilner jars is a good option but you would need a big fridge!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭iwantmydinner

Ok, thanks.
    I am starting tonight. Hoping to have the whole lot done between hours of 7 - 11 this evening.

Here is my shopping list which covers just about everything in your guide. Hopefully I can find everything now. My wife is going to kill me if she sees the receipt but hopefully she will be impressed with the food. She isn't as mad into indian food as me but she has a serious penchant for Sagwala which I will have a go off eventually.

Ginger
    Garlic
    Ground coriander
    Ground cumin
    Ground turmeric
    Garam masala
    Curry powder
    Fresh coriander
    Bay leaves
    Cinnamon sticks
    Star anise
    Cumin seeds
    Cloves
    Fenugreek leaves
    Chilli powder
    Green chillis
    Creamed coconut
    Ground almonds
    deggi mirch/ Kashmiri chilli
    Mace/ Javitri/ جاوتری/ जावित्री
    Cardamom
    Cardamom powder

Carrot
    Onions
    Cream
    Vegetable oil
    Green pepper
    Plum tomatoes
    Natural yogurt

Amazing post - I think I''ll take the plunge and get these while I'm in Dublin for the weekend! Will be visiting my recently-returned-from-SE Asia-friend and her Persian fiancé so they can help me in the Asian shops :)

Can't wait to finally try your recipes, CA!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

I posted a pic of my setup in this tread somewhere :) Airtight kilner jars is a good option but you would need a big fridge!

Ok, cheers. .....................great job by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

Hi CurryAddict,

firstly, an amazing series of posts - thank you :)

Regarding the improved method for making the paste you mention

"The onions are then slow cooked on minimum heat for 2.5 hours"

Is this something that could be done in a slow cooker?

Thanks,
    Loire.

Loire wrote: »
    Hi CurryAddict,

firstly, an amazing series of posts - thank you :)

Regarding the improved method for making the paste you mention

"The onions are then slow cooked on minimum heat for 2.5 hours"

Is this something that could be done in a slow cooker?

Thanks,
    Loire.

Hi Loire, thanks for your kind comments. I have never used a slow cooker but i would imagine a slow cooker would be perfect for this as the slow reduced heat is whats required to draw the particular flavour from the onions. If you try it, you should start to smell an unmistakeable acidic type smell after a couple of hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

Hi Loire, thanks for your kind comments. I have never used a slow cooker but i would imagine a slow cooker would be perfect for this as the slow reduced heat is whats required to draw the particular flavour from the onions. If you try it, you should start to smell an unmistakeable acidic type smell after a couple of hours.

Thankyou kindly!
    Loire.

• Advertisement

Wow. That was some dinner tonight! Rogan josh and a korma! Lovely stuff :)

Advertisement