Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2012 Cooking Club Week 2b: Indian Resturant curries

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭Curry Addict

Gbear wrote: »
    I find that the best way to cook chicken is in the oven. Nothing else comes close.

For Chicken Tikka I mariante them in a bit of lemon and salt while I'm getting the other bits ready.

Then I add the powder of bay leaves, cardomom, mace, coriander seeds, cumin, pepper as well as a bit of the curry massala from the recipe in the OP, some garlic/ginger paste and either a bit of yoghurt or some tomato paste.

Marinate for 1-24 hours.

Cook at the highest temperature your oven can go on skewers (keeps them dry and you get some nice charring). In my oven that's 230C for 25-30 minutes.

I sometimes make tikkas in the oven similar to you. they usually cook in 15mins though. I usually baste then with butter once or twice while they are cooking to keep them moist and juicy. 25-30 mins will overcook and and dry out your chicken! try 15mins!

Mellor wrote: »

@Curry Addict
    I've never been a fan of indian style curry, I've had it a few times and was times I was let down badly with fatty flavourless sauce. So my homemade curry has always been thai curry (chinese "curry" when im back in ireland for the novelty). But I sampled premium curry blends at a food show and decide to give them another chance, so I came here.

I picked up a Sambal Curry Marsala. Tasted great. I'm looking for something simple for my first bash at Indian style curry, working up to more complex ones later.
    The recommended recipe was to fry onions and garlic & ginger paste in oil/ghee, add marsala and fry until fragrant, add lamb and seal well, then coconut cream, salt and lemon grass.

Any comments on the recipe? I'm thinking of cutting the lemongrass out.

it sounds like an Indonesian curry to me. Sambal is an Indonesian ingredient, its mostly chilli and salt and comes prepared different ways like fried and with some other elements. its usually used as a condiment like salt and pepper. the coconut cream and lemon grass also would fit with indonesian cooking.
    indonesian cooking is really great so its well worth checking out. I would definitely use the lemongrass in the recipe as its likely fresh citrus flavor will work wonderfully with the rest of the ingredients.
    Im a big believer in making a recipe as its written the first time and try to understand the flavors that the writer is using and why. the recipe as you describe it sounds good to me. hope it works out nice :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

I sometimes make tikkas in the oven similar to you. they usually cook in 15mins though. I usually baste then with butter once or twice while they are cooking to keep them moist and juicy. 25-30 mins will overcook and and dry out your chicken! try 15mins!

Nah, your oven must be hotter than mine. It'd be raw after 15 minutes.
    It says 230C but I don't actually know if it's accurate.

I've experimented abit with cooking times. I always try to get it just about cooked and if the breasts are small that'd be 20 minutes.

It'd be quicker if I could be bothered dicing them and skewering them. More effort though.
    It's super easy to just bung a load of spices into a bowl with some chicken breasts.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Found a dead handy spice place on Talbot Street, in Dublin. Conrinental foods I think its called, its about mid way down.

They have industrial sized bags of spice for like 5 or 6 euro. Plus, they have the ever elusive Fenugreek Leaves. Got myself a 50g box of dried leaves there for 99c!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    They have industrial sized bags of spice for like 5 or 6 euro.

That's always great in theory, but the spices invariably end up going off.

I was watching an episode of the Hairy Bikers a few weeks back and they featured some shop in the UK that did spices like pick-n-mix, but at really competitive prices. The great thing was that you could buy as little or as much as you'd like. Great idea.

• Advertisement

BaZmO* wrote: »
    That's always great in theory, but the spices invariably end up going off.

I was watching an episode of the Hairy Bikers a few weeks back and they featured some shop in the UK that did spices like pick-n-mix, but at really competitive prices. The great thing was that you could buy as little or as much as you'd like. Great idea.

Presumably whole spices don't go off as quickly (because they've already survived getting imported) so getting fairly big bags of them shouldn't be as much of an issue.

I've stopped making batches of ground cumin and coriander and instead I roast the whole spices I need for each individual curry. I only make batches of curry masala and garam masala.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Ok so I got fenugreek leaves, are dried ones alright?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

Ipso wrote: »

I heard years ago that coffee lasts much, much longer in the freezer than a cupboard, so I've started to freeze my ground spices and kaffir lime leaves. They're still usable from frozen but I think the oils take longer to oxidise or evaporate. I'm sure it'd work for the fenugreek leaves as well.

Ipso wrote: »

yes the dried ones are what u need.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,029 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

it sounds like an Indonesian curry to me. Sambal is an Indonesian ingredient, its mostly chilli and salt and comes prepared different ways like fried and with some other elements. its usually used as a condiment like salt and pepper. the coconut cream and lemon grass also would fit with indonesian cooking.
    indonesian cooking is really great so its well worth checking out. I would definitely use the lemongrass in the recipe as its likely fresh citrus flavor will work wonderfully with the rest of the ingredients.
    Im a big believer in making a recipe as its written the first time and try to understand the flavors that the writer is using and why. the recipe as you describe it sounds good to me. hope it works out nice :)

It was actually Sumatra, not Sambal, so Indonesian is correct ;)
    I left out the lemongrass as I couldnt get it fresh and added fresh lime juice.
    Really happy with it. The only veg in there was onions this time but I'll be adding more next time, just not sure what exactly.
    Nah, your oven must be hotter than mine. It'd be raw after 15 minutes.
    It says 230C but I don't actually know if it's accurate.

That's what I was getting at. 25-30 on highest setting would leave me with a very dry piece of meat. I'd normal have a breast in for a shorter time or a lower heat.

• Advertisement

my wife is a big fan of Indonesian cooking. i would recommend this book http://www.sriowen.com/indonesian-food/ we got it a few years ago and its fed us well since :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 39,029 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

my wife is a big fan of Indonesian cooking. i would recommend this book http://www.sriowen.com/indonesian-food/ we got it a few years ago and its fed us well since :pac:

The girlfriend is off to Indonesia (Bali) for a few days in July. I'll send her to scout out dishes and recipes.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭ilovetorun

Hi Curry Addict, Any chance of a chicken jalfresi recipe please? Whenever I'm cooking curries you're always my 'go to' person:)
    Thanks

ilovetorun wrote: »
    Hi Curry Addict, Any chance of a chicken jalfresi recipe please? Whenever I'm cooking curries you're always my 'go to' person:)
    Thanks

ok jalfrazi :pac:

1 chef spoon of oil
    0.25 tsp cumin seed
    6 slices of mixed red and green sweet peppers
    1/2 an onion
    1tsp ginger/garlic paste
    1tbs tomato paste (3parts water to 1 part tomato puree, just stir in the water)
    1tsp fenugreek leaves
    0.66 tsp salt
    1tbs curry masala
    0.5 - 1 tsp chili powder
    1 ladle curry base
    precooked chicken/lamb
    1/2 a tomato sliced
    2 ladles curry base
    1tbs natural yogurt
    pinch of black pepper and garam masala

the ingredients go in, in the order written above
    enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭ilovetorun

Oops! Awful spelling :P
    Great, thanks again..I'm going to try it for the weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

Curry Addict, you are the stuff of legend. I made your massaman curry for my whole family (who are NOT at all curry eaters) and it was completely demolished. Everyone loved it!

Next time I will triple the paste recipe and keep some in the freezer. Honestly one of the best curries I've ever had. Thanks so much!

no better curry to cheer you up in bad weather :) glad you enjoyed

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭earlytobed

Made batch of curry base and chicken and have since made the Madras, Rogan Josh and Jalfrezi(twice). All went down well (especially the Jalfrezi)

Wow, I wish I'd found this thread years ago! Will be trying these (clearly excellent, judging by the feedback) recipes and will report back. Sincere thanks to Curry Addict.

gl with the recipes robert ,let us know how u get on

• Advertisement

A long time ago I promised an update on these recipes. I have made a few changes to address the main problems with the recipes as follows.
    1. I always felt that the curries were slightly too heavy.
    2. Although the oil content is standard enough for curries, I have now reduced the oil level to a much healthier level.
    3. I have improved the base and the cooking method.

I have been using the improvements detailed below for the last 6 months and can honestly say that
    the end result is significantly better than the original recipes.

A) The tomato puree should be diluted with water in the ration of 1:3. What I usually do is put 1 tbs of tomato puree in a little bowl and add 3 tbs of water and stir it in with a spoon.

So in the recipes where it calls for 1tbs of tomato puree. I add 1 tbs of this diluted mix.

B) Improved base and cooking method. The critical flavour in the base is the sugars released by the onions. This is “the” magic flavour in curry. To achieve this flavour, the onion skins are removed and the onions go in whole, into the pot. The onions are then slow cooked on minimum heat for 2.5 hours. They slowly lose their moisture and release their natural sugars.

New base recipe

16 medium onions (skin and put into the pot whole)
    2 carrots (roughly chopped)
    1inch piece of ginger sliced
    1tbs ginger and garlic paste
    ½ a bunch of coriander
    ½ a green bell pepper
    150ml water
    200ml vegetable oil

Place all ingredients above in a 7 litre pot. Put the pot on the lowest flame on a gas cooker and cook for 2.5hours with the lid on. Alternatively use a pressure cooker and cook for 40mins from when it hits pressure. Note, the pressure cooker gives the best result but you will need to now transfer he ingredients into a 7 litre pot.

Add the following to the pot….
    3 tbs of curry masala
    1inch piece of ginger sliced
    1tbs of sugar (preferably palm sugar)

1tbs salt
    1tbs ginger and garlic paste
    1 green chilli
    ½ a tin of plum tomatoes

Cook for 30mins on a medium heat. Add 3.5 litres of water and blend the contents of the pot until its completely smooth with a hand blender. It should have the consistency of a thin soup. Now heat the pot with lid on, on a very low heat. Its ready when the oil separates and rises to the top.

This should yield 7 litres of curry base which is enough to make 23 curries. So that’s approx. 9ml of oil per curry. With this new base I can get away with using 2.5tbs of vegetable oil instead of a chef spoon when cooking the individual curries.

I find this new base makes the end resulting curry much lighter than the original and very moreish, a definite improvement. Unfortunately it does lose some flavour to freezing. I find after freezing the curries are a little too light sometimes. I’m going to try adding a little more base when cooking curries to counteract that.

So if you want to try these improvements they are designed to work with all the curry recipes posted here. Enjoy!

Cool.
    With the onions, what do you gain by cooking them whole, as opposed to slicing them and caramelising them slowly, for example?

Cool.
    With the onions, what do you gain by cooking them whole, as opposed to slicing them and caramelising them slowly, for example?

slicing and carmelizing results in a "roasty hearty sweetness" its quite a heavy sweetness, delicious in its own right.

slow long cooking whole onion results in an acidic light sweetness. The sugars released have a distinct acidic element. This acidity is so prominent you will start to smell it after 2 hours cooking. Its a vinegary smell and unmistakable.
    you will know it when you smell it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭earlytobed

Made batch by the original method at the weekend as I hadn't looked here for a week or 2.
    tried korma for first time. turned out lovely.
    As i bought lots of ingredients for the various curries including the massaman and malaysian i feel i should be using them while they are fresh, so the family will be having lots of curries in the coming weeks.
    Thanks for sharing the recipies, curry addict

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭fitzcoff

After following this thread for the last year and a half I finally made these tonight. (our anniversary so made an effort)

OMG it was yum, made the madras and rogan josh. I found the madras too hot (he had that) but the rogan josh was perfect.

I know everyone says that it tastes like a takeaway but it seriously does.

Thanks a mil Curry Addict for the recipe and I can't wait to make more.

Now that I have a cupboard full of spices and the curry base in the freezer would you have a recipe for Makanai and Dopiaza

hi fitzcoff,

i like the spicier curries myself so i never bothered to learn how to make a dopiaza. I imagine it starts with 1/2 an onion finely chopped then same as the madras but with no lemon juice and 0.25 tsp of chili powder instead of 1tsp and maybe 1tbs of yogurt.
    the makhani is in post 10 of this tread, i call it tikka masala there as some restaurants use this recipe instead of the illumonus orange one :)

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭fitzcoff

hi fitzcoff,

i like the spicier curries myself so i never bothered to learn how to make a dopiaza. I imagine it starts with 1/2 an onion finely chopped then same as the madras but with no lemon juice and 0.25 tsp of chili powder instead of 1tsp and maybe 1tbs of yogurt.
    the makhani is in post 10 of this tread, i call it tikka masala there as some restaurants use this recipe instead of the illumonus orange one :)

Brilliant thanks for that, yea the indian near me has an illumonus one.

I'll give them a try, thanks for your help.

Quick question - in the tikka masala recipe is the garlic paste and the ginger paste a bought one or can I just blitz garlic /ginger to make a paste?

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭jimfinoc

Quick question - in the tikka masala recipe is the garlic paste and the ginger paste a bought one or can I just blitz garlic /ginger to make a paste?[/QUOTE]

Indian Restaurant Curry recipes

Ginger and garlic paste

30g ginger
    30g garlic
    2tbs water
    Add the ingredients to a blender and blend to a paste consistency.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

i call it tikka masala there as some restaurants use this recipe instead of the illumonus orange one :)

Is it wrong to like the illuminous orange ones? :o

• Advertisement

jimfinoc wrote: »
    Quick question - in the tikka masala recipe is the garlic paste and the ginger paste a bought one or can I just blitz garlic /ginger to make a paste?

Indian Restaurant Curry recipes

Ginger and garlic paste

30g ginger
    30g garlic
    2tbs water
    Add the ingredients to a blender and blend to a paste consistency.[/QUOTE]

make your own as above! the bought ones are aweful and you will notice a big difference...

Advertisement