Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2012 Cooking Club Week 2b: Indian Resturant curries

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭Curry Addict

Wow. That was some dinner tonight! Rogan josh and a korma! Lovely stuff :)

sounds like it worked out well for you :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭irishproduce

I have to freeze the base this morning. Will sandwich/ freezer bags not leak?
    The rice clumped up like hell too. Maybe i didnt have enough water in. What do you do with the cinnamon sticks and star anise when in rice? Pick them out before serviing?
    Also for anyone watching on, i got all of the ingredients in about 200g bags in a Bangladeshi store for less than 22e ( excluding chicken and cream)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

The rice clumped up like hell too. Maybe i didnt have enough water in. What do you do with the cinnamon sticks and star anise when in rice? Pick them out before serviing?
    Also for anyone watching on, i got all of the ingredients in about 200g bags in a Bangladeshi store for less than 22e ( excluding chicken and cream)

Bangladeshi store....where?

Thanks

when making the rice its a good idea to use the same cup you measure the rice with, to measure the water with, keeps it simple and accurate.

when the rice is cooked, after the 6 minutes with the lid on, take the lid off and you need to stir it intermittently for 15mins until all the steam has dissipated. You then need to keep the lid on or it gets clumpy.

i use old takeaway plastic containers and zipable plastic bags, enough or 2 curries in each one.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Nope. I use them all the time for freezing sauces and the like. The best ones to get are the double zip lock ones. Like this one.

american-ziploc-1-gallon-double-zipper-freezer-bags-1489-p.jpg

I'd love to know what the equivalent cost would be for Schwartz spices from Tesco or Dunnes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭Posh Boy

Hi Curry Addict,

Been following this for a long time and finally plucked up the courage to have a go. Curry Gravy is made and freezing until I have more time to plan the dishes.

Was just wondering if you have a recipe for Butter Chicken. The wife really loves it and I'd like to be able to replicate it at home.

Posh Boy wrote: »
    Hi Curry Addict,

Been following this for a long time and finally plucked up the courage to have a go. Curry Gravy is made and freezing until I have more time to plan the dishes.

Was just wondering if you have a recipe for Butter Chicken. The wife really loves it and I'd like to be able to replicate it at home.

ill dig out a recipe for it later, its likely she will love the Korma also.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

when making the rice its a good idea to use the same cup you measure the rice with, to measure the water with, keeps it simple and accurate.

when the rice is cooked, after the 6 minutes with the lid on, take the lid off and you need to stir it intermittently for 15mins until all the steam has dissipated. You then need to keep the lid on or it gets clumpy.

i use old takeaway plastic containers and zipable plastic bags, enough or 2 curries in each one.

My trick is to boil rice (basmati) for roughly 5 minutes, then drain and rinse and finally steam in a colander (covered) for a further 15mins - or until it's done to personal preference - which results in perfect rice every time, great for people like me who just can't cook rice without it turning into a gooey mess :P

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Did an interesting curry last night with a whole chicken.

I chopped the chicken up into 6 pieces (2 legs, 2 breasts, torso into two halfves) and stuck it in a pot to stew for a couple of hours with whole spices, curry powder and some onion, garlic and ginger.

Then I just pulled the meat from the bones, strained out the inedible parts and had enough stock for 3 curries.

Made a vindaloo with it. I was tired and it was late so I rushed it and it didn't turn out great but, following this thread, even a bad curry is damned tasty.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Larry Bee

ill dig out a recipe for it later, its likely she will love the Korma also.

If you happen to come across a recipe for Saag Paneer while you are digging, I'd appreciate it. ;)

I presume the Saag bit would be like the Saag Aloo recipe you posted earlier.

I've made paneer of sorts before by adding yoghurt to almost boiling milk but its never been as nice as I've had when eating out or take away.
    Some recipes suggest lightly frying it, others don't...?

Thanks,
    John

I've been following this thread too for a while, but the biggest pot I've got is 5.5 litres. Hopefully I'll be able to access a pot big enough over the weekend and try it out. If not I'll try make a smaller batch like you've suggested here. If its as good as everyone says then I'll invest in a bigger pot.

• Advertisement

eisenberg1 wrote: »
    Bangladeshi store....where?

Thanks

I am in Limerick Eisenberg. However, when I am in Dublin, I seen at least two or three asian stores that sell the same stuff and they are on Talbot Street.
    The bags that you are looking for are made by a company EASTEND
    Here is a sample of them exactly as you will find them in the shops:

http://www.eastendfoods.co.uk/product-categories/spices/ground-spices/

They work out about €1.10 a bag which is good.
    However, Cardamom pods are €3.50 a bag and the Mace (Jawantri) is over €8 a bag so I didn't bother with that.
    Deggi Mirch is just a type of indian spice. Your man in my local was telling that Mirch is the Urdu for spice so they can recommend different ones that are not speciifcally of the Deggi type depending on what you are cooking etc.

Best of luck!

Larry Bee wrote: »
    If you ...

I've been following this thread too for a while, but the biggest pot I've got is 5.5 litres. Hopefully I'll be able to access a pot big enough over the weekend and try it out. If not I'll try make a smaller batch like you've suggested here. If its as good as everyone says then I'll invest in a bigger pot.

It is, it is well worth while.
    I made more Korma again last night. Gonna hold off now until the weekend again because i'll be as fat as a fool from it all!

Gbear wrote: »
    Did an interesting curry last night with a whole chicken.

I chopped the chicken up into 6 pieces (2 legs, 2 breasts, torso into two halfves) and stuck it in a pot to stew for a couple of hours with whole spices, curry powder and some onion, garlic and ginger.

Then I just pulled the meat from the bones, strained out the inedible parts and had enough stock for 3 curries.

Made a vindaloo with it. I was tired and it was late so I rushed it and it didn't turn out great but, following this thread, even a bad curry is damned tasty.

i really love this style of cooking and tbh i do it more often than any other. I like to use chicken thighs a lot and as you say its hard to go wrong :pac:

Larry Bee wrote: »
    If you happen to come across a recipe for Saag Paneer while you are digging, I'd appreciate it. ;)

I presume the Saag bit would be like the Saag Aloo recipe you posted earlier.

I've made paneer of sorts before by adding yoghurt to almost boiling milk but its never been as nice as I've had when eating out or take away.
    Some recipes suggest lightly frying it, others don't...?

Thanks,
    John

i haven't got much experience with paneer yet but gotta love saag panner :pac: as you say it will probably work great if you try it like the saag aloo.

with regards cooking panner i guess there are different ways to cook it that will give different textures so experimentation is they way to go!

good luck with making the base it will be worth it in the end :)

I am in Limerick Eisenberg. However, when I am in Dublin, I seen at least two or three asian stores that sell the same stuff and they are on Talbot Street.

Many thanks for great reply......the shop in Limerick?

They work out about €1.10 a bag which is good.
    However, Cardamom pods are €3.50 a bag and the Mace (Jawantri) is over €8 a bag so I didn't bother with that.
    Deggi Mirch is just a type of indian spice. Your man in my local was telling that Mirch is the Urdu for spice so they can recommend different ones that are not speciifcally of the Deggi type depending on what you are cooking etc.

Best of luck!

deggi mirch simply means chilli powder in hindi. MDH do a really nice chilli powder.

the Mace sounds way overpriced, im sure you will find it cheaper!

It is, it is well worth while.
    I made more Korma again last night. Gonna hold off now until the weekend again because i'll be as fat as a fool from it all!

easy on the korma unfortunately but the madras and vindaloo should be grand to eat as much as you like!

One more question..........

Following the recipe for the meats will give me too much as there's only the 2 of us. Is it possible to then go and make the finished curry and freeze for eating another time or can I scale back the meat?

I'd hate to cook 4 chicken breasts only to have to throw some of it out due to wastage. What options do I have?

One more question..........

Following the recipe for the meats will give me too much as there's only the 2 of us. Is it possible to then go and make the finished curry and freeze for eating another time or can I scale back the meat?

I'd hate to cook 4 chicken breasts only to have to throw some of it out due to wastage. What options do I have?

Just cook 2 chicken breasts with half the ingredients(for cooking the meats) and it will work out great!

eisenberg1 wrote: »

Many thanks for great reply......the shop in Limerick?

Ah, if you are in Limerick, the store across from Taites clock on Davis street is the place. You can look around yourself or just give the lads the list of stuff. They are lovely and will bring it all back to you in a basket.

• Advertisement

Just cook 2 chicken breasts with half the ingredients(for cooking the meats) and it will work out great!

That is what I ended up doing. Works out great.

Curry addict.
    The meat suggested in this thread, is that the type you suggest simmering in the oil and fat/ spice pot for three hours?
    Just want to get it right...

Thanks

Curry addict.
    The meat suggested in this thread, is that the type you suggest simmering in the oil and fat/ spice pot for three hours?
    Just want to get it right...

Thanks

yes for lamb/mutton 3 hrs brazing should give a great result. The liquid in the pot should be about 1/2 to 2/3 way up the meat, the lid on and gentle brazing so its cooking and steaming in its own juices and spiced broth.

If you are going to do it, do it right curry addict - I have two that haven't been mentioned at all :p

Very delicious ones that I haven't seen posted here.
    I haven't a clue how to approach it but I promise to anyone who likes the creamy/ spicy type ones over tomato based ones, then these two are for you.

Shahjahani and Mughlai.

I used to order them years ago in a small Indian place in Limerick but the place is long since closed and no one else in Limerick does it. I asked Mogul Emporer in Limerick about them but he said chef didn't know how to do them but he would try if I gave him the recipe so I just thought I might as well try to figure it out myself if that's the case.

I don't know if anyone has attempted them or if Curry Addict knows how to prepare them using his own recipes :)

Aldi are doing three large onions as part of their super 6 for just .39c at the moment. They are the big juicy ones. Cut them in half and you have two normal sized onion potions so you could use these when making your curry base to freeze.

OK,

Im getting my shopping list together for this weekend to finish the dishes and meats. I think I'll try the Rogan Josh & the Korma.

Any update on a Butter Chicken recipe Curry Addict?

OK,

Im getting my shopping list together for this weekend to finish the dishes and meats. I think I'll try the Rogan Josh & the Korma.

Any update on a Butter Chicken recipe Curry Addict?

sorry i have been so busy i havent forgotten!

If you are going to do it, do it right curry addict - I have two that haven't been mentioned at all :p

Very delicious ones that I haven't seen posted here.
    I haven't a clue how to approach it but I promise to anyone who likes the creamy/ spicy type ones over tomato based ones, then these two are for you.

Shahjahani and Mughlai.

I used to order them years ago in a small Indian place in Limerick but the place is long since closed and no one else in Limerick does it. I asked Mogul Emporer in Limerick about them but he said chef didn't know how to do them but he would try if I gave him the recipe so I just thought I might as well try to figure it out myself if that's the case.

I don't know if anyone has attempted them or if Curry Addict knows how to prepare them using his own recipes :)

curries like this are usually the chefs variation of a regional dish. they are usually unique to the chef so you are unlikely to ever find these exact curries again but maybe something like it. Mughlai is a common curry name but it does vary wildly its a regional cooking style....http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mughlai_cuisine
    creamy curries are just not my thing, so i have little experience with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Zymurgist

Can the curries on this thread be frozen and reheated at a later date? Say if a person was to cook a large batch would they be able to portion it off and freeze it for use later in the week/month?

• Advertisement

Curry addict, do you have anything for Tandoori chicken?

I do chickens wings, marinated in yogurt, lime juice, vinegar and tandoori spice, quite a tasty snack, but looking at your recipes, I am sure you have something better?

Thanks

Advertisement