Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Indian Sides - Ideas

Options
  • 28-10-2013 9:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi foodies,

I have a dinner party this week, and I want to impress. :p

I'm planing on a good ole tikka with pilau rice and naan bread. I also have a good chutney.

I'm not a big Indian eater, so I'm looking for ideas on sides and dips I should have.

I tried the search function, but didn't find what I was looking for - so any ideas would be most welcome.

Fiona

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Bombay aloo is always popular. Although it might be overdoing the carbs! That's a potato dish, try this recipe.
    http://shar.es/Itokr

Any daal recipies, lentils are so easy to cook.

Saag aloo

Cauliflower and spinach curry. Yum!

Grab some popodoms as well for with the chutney, and have a raita with them too.

Are you having any starters? Samosas, pakoras?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭Autonomous Cowherd

Raita.
    It's plain (Greek) Yoghurt with thinly sliced cucumbers, mint, maybe a bit of crushed garlic, salt and pepper; it can be made differently using coriander leaves, other spices like cumin or ground coriander; you can add very thinly sliced onions, scallions, even tomatoes.
    I'm a vegetarian and often eat Indian and Raita is my favourite part!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,527 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

I made a peach curry soup last week after modifying some recipe I saw online. I made it incredibly thick by adding some coconut powder. It was so thick that it could easily be used as a dip or condiment instead of a standalone soup.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭twerg_85

courgette fritters is nice.
    Pea and mint puree.
    Yoghurt dips with different flavours.
    Mango chutney, Pickled limes.
    Diced potatoes fried up with your garam masala blend.

F.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭earlytobed

I like the red onion served in my local Indian
    I replicated it at home and it was grand.

Finely chopped onion
    mint sauce
    red food colouring
    sugar

start with the onion. add colour to make it red. add mint sauce to your liking. add sugar if desired

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Chewabacca

Easiest way to make raita is to use mint sauce from a jar and a drop of honey mixed with yoghurt. Put some grated cucumber in too. Simple and it tastes really good.

Go to an Asian shop and see if you can get some chilli pickle too, save you the hassle of making an extra side.

Onion bhajis aren't the most authentic thing to make but theyre really tasty and simple to make. Just slice onions, grate ginger. Season with salt and leave for 5 minutes to let the salt bring out the moisture. This will bind it. Add a few teaspoons of garam masala, ground cumin, ground coriander and a pinch of turmeric and enough flour to bring it together. Shallow fry in a pan. I've made it several times and it comes out really well. Just make a small one and taste it to adjust seasoning and spicing before cooking the whole batch. They could be cooked before hand and heated up in the oven.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

Definitely make some raita, it's delicious.

I would make some onion bhajis too, maybe some veg and paneer samosas? Or aloo paratha? (Although those are quite substantial).

Advertisement