Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suggestions for these ingredients...

Options
  • 14-06-2012 12:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭

Hey all,
    By slavishly following the instructions down to the most minute detail, I somehow managed to cook a half decent Soy Garlic chicken tonight. I was wondering though, what I could do with the leftover ingredients, and I thought I'd leave it to the imagination of people here.

I have: Soy Sauce
    Garlic
    Half a lemon
    Cayenne pepper
    Honey
    Sundry herbs and spices
    Onions

Anyone have suggestions of what I could attempt based on the above? I can of course add various bits and bobs as required.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Fish.

Mix some Soy Sauce, Lemon Juice, crushed garlic and cayenne to make a marinade. Even some honey in there may be ok.

Cover some fish with the marinade, white fish is good, a fish like swordfish or shark is better, tuna steak is nice, but thicker, so marinade it for longer.

wrap in tinfoil and cook on a BBQ, or in the oven, until done.

Serve it either with fresh veg, like green beans, baby potatoes etc, or else make up some noodles and coat in the marinade if you like.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭nicol

any chance you'd post the recipe for the soy garlic chicken? i like the sound of it. cheers
    Einhard wrote: »
    Hey all,
    By slavishly following the instructions down to the most minute detail, I somehow managed to cook a half decent Soy Garlic chicken tonight. I was wondering though, what I could do with the leftover ingredients, and I thought I'd leave it to the imagination of people here.

I have: Soy Sauce
    Garlic
    Half a lemon
    Cayenne pepper
    Honey
    Sundry herbs and spices
    Onions

Anyone have suggestions of what I could attempt based on the above? I can of course add various bits and bobs as required.

Thanks in advance!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Kash

Looks perfect for marinated pork chops to me:

1. Put two pork chops in a sealable freezer bag/sandwich bag
    2. Add a dash of oil, and the rest of your ingredients into your freezer bag (keeping back the onion):Soy Sauce, Garlic, Juice of half a lemon, Cayenne pepper, Honey, Sundry herbs and spices. (if you want extra yummy, add a spoonful of mustard)
    3. Squeeze the air out, seal the bag, and squish everything up together
    4. Leave for at least an hour (personally, I leave overnight, or bung in the freezer so that the pork marinates as it defrosts)
    5. When they have marinated, roughly chop your onion and put the onion and the pork chops in a small pyrex dish, along with all of your marinade.
    6. Bake at about 180 degrees for 20-25 minutes.

I would serve with some cous cous - pour the jonion and juices of your pork over the couscous and the pork. Nyom.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

Thanks for the suggestions.

Here's the Garlic Soy chicken. Not sure mine turned out exactly like hers, but was still yummy.

http://www.likemamusedtobake.com/2011/06/28/soy-garlic-chicken/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Get a leg of lamb.
    Then follow Kash's marinated pork recipe.
    Roast in a preheated oven at 220C the first 20minutes, then turn down the temp to 160C and continue roasting accordingly to weight of lamb.credit to recipetips.com

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Zuiderzee

Ingredients..
    5 Small Onions
    5 Tbsp Flour
    1/2 tsp Salt
    1/4 tsp Cumin
    1/2 tsp Coriander
    Rapeseed Oil
    1 and 1/4 Shot Glass Measure Water (a small egg cup can be used to measure)

Spices for the Pan..
    1/2 tsp Turmeric
    1/2 tsp Ground Coriander
    1/4 tsp Cumin Powder
    1/4 tsp Ginger Powder
    1/4 Chilli Powder

Cut the onions in half then cut into slices, not too thick nor too thin.
    Crush the garlic.

Drizzle a little oil into a large pan/wok and gently cook the onions until they start turning soft and translucent in colour, do not brown them or over cook them.

This should take no longer than 10 minutes, keep stirring the onions so they do not over cook. Add the garlic about 5 minutes in

When the onions are ready sprinkle in the chilli powder and mix well.

Straight after add the turmeric, cumin, ginger and coriander, stir well again then switch off the heat.

In a bowl place buckwheat flour, salt, coriander and cumin, mix together well.
    Now place the onions into the bowl and mix well again.

Once the flour mixture has coated all of the onions place the tomato puree into a shot glass/small egg cup and fill with water.

Mix the tomato puree with the water then pour this into the onion mixture
    Fill a shot glass or small egg cup a quarter full and add to the mixture - stir in well.

The mixture should be wet and easy to stir but not watery or too sloppy in texture.

If you added too much water add a few pinches of flour till you get the right consistency.

If the onion bhaji mixture is a little too thick and dry add a little drop of water at a time till it loosens up

Drizzle some oil on a baking tray, put two tablespoons of mixture per bhaji on a tray and flatten a little with the back of a spoon

The tray goes in the oven at 180 deg centigrade for 10 minutes.

After 10 minutes take the onion bhajis out of the oven.

Drizzle a little oil over the tops of the onion bhajis.

Place back in the oven for 5-10 minutes or until golden brown

Advertisement