Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Defiance [SyFy - US] [** Spoilers **]

Options
123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭mafaa

I saw the first season online & got bored, but waited for the next season on syfy uk & it turned out to be a better season except for Irisa's story which drags on.

I can't really remember what happened in last ep of S02

these might helps to prepare for season 3

DEFIANCE: SEASON 2 REVIEW

the finale 2 hrs double episode -12-13 recaps -
    SEASON 2 EPISODE 12 All Things Must Pass

SEASON 2 EPISODE 13 I Almost Prayed

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Dan_Solo wrote: »
    Not sure can I face this TBH... I'm crying every week at the money these guys are chucking at an utterly crap story. Though there's no football on this summer so I'll probably tune in anyway!
    The game and show cost $105m. The show has been a relative ratings success for SyFy and the game has sold about 550k units to date at $60 a pop, so about $33m back (the TV show has only cost $40m).

In terms of return on investment in the entertainment industry the show is anything but a waste of money.

That's not to say I disagree that it's kind of crap story wise.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Wow, interesting figures; that's a crazy amount of money shovelled into something so ... bland... at the other end. Another slice of ScyFy mediocrity; I'm guessing by peoples' comments that season 2 didn't demonstrate any huge uptick in quality?

pixelburp wrote: »
    Wow, interesting figures; that's a crazy amount of money shovelled into something so ... bland... at the other end. Another slice of ScyFy mediocrity; I'm guessing by peoples' comments that season 2 didn't demonstrate any huge uptick in quality?
    It's a lot of money, but I'd say it is breaking even between the game and the show. It's produced in-house by a subsidiary of NBCUniversal and the ratings for the show aren't bad (for SyFy).

I think the second season honed the story in a lot, but they didn't do a great job of coming up with a good story. The whole show is, as you point out, just bland.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,837 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Having not played the game yet hearing the show would affect the game and vice versa, are there any examples of this occurring?

• Advertisement

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Having not played the game yet hearing the show would affect the game and vice versa, are there any examples of this occurring?
    Haven't played the game either (no intention of it tbh) so no clue - by all accounts it's fairly bland like the show.

Haven't played the game either (no intention of it tbh) so no clue - by all accounts it's fairly bland like the show.

It's actually one of the better MMOs out there, certainly the only one I have put much time into. The beauty is that it's at heart a single player game with the option to play with others online but there's never a moment when it's forced on you unlike say Borderlands in which you often found yourself in need of other players in order to progress.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭mafaa

season 3 episode 1 - 3, enjoyable feel much better than s1 & s2, Pilar was annoying in previous season & here she is providing the joys of watching :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

Just watched S003E01-02. A bit more pacey than the last few episodes, the new baddies are a bit generic. Seemingly so advanced you'd wonder how the other dudes ever beat them.
    A lot going on as ever, but at least the bodycount is holding up well. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,947 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

Not many shows where they would kill a whole family over two episodes. I guess they didn't want anyone moping around. The new aliens are interchangeable with the old ones- don't really have much personality. Also has Nolan become, or was he always this much of a bloodthirsty guy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,060 ✭✭✭Sarn

I wonder if the stasis pod neural link had an effect on both of them? Apart from the horror of what she did last season causing the change in Irisa, maybe her violent tendencies moved across to Nolan.

I'd agree that it has improved (so far) over the previous seasons.

Anyone still watching this show? Im surprised this has lasted three seasons must admit that this season has started very well. It is a show not afraid to kill off whole families or have a kid shoot dead an unarmed man.

I'm reluctantly still watching. On the recap of last season, I realised that I didn't remember a single thing about the second half of the season but I believe I watched it.

That being said, the mini-reboot has certainly helped cut out a lot of crappy filler story and so far the season is quite strong. I'm liking where this is going.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭shinny

Never count out Datak Tarr!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭Marcus Antonius

Gotta say this season has been a big step up. Very fast pace from the get go and they've proven to be ruthless culling major characters while moving the story line along. Last episode was good, wonder where they're gonna go from here though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

It was a very good episode, for a moment I thought he was going to betray the town again. Great scene.

Also for people who hadn't noticed, the family who the Omac saved, the mother was Dr Yewl without her Genome makeup.

It has been a good season so far but to get rid of the vC so early is a mistake. All we have left is the annoying space vampire storyline. I get the feelings they are going to have Irisa and Alak to hook up. Mostly because they have no idea what to do with the Irisa character this season.

Loved this episode. Still not that into the Omec story, but as long as they keep Nolan and Irisa kicking ass on a reasonably regular bases, all good!

Another good episode. I wonder if they will depict a futuristic brazil? the Tarrs are one of the funniest couples I've ever seen on a tv show- so easy to ate but really entertaining.

Yeah it was a solid enough episode, not sure where they are going with the VC arch though.

• Advertisement

so easy to ate but really entertaining.
    Is that an Omec feeding joke? ;)
    OK episode, Irisa should have stuck the oar/needle in waaay earlier, obvious Nolan was gone mental. Doubt we'll see any trip to South America etc., the show is called and about the town of Defiance. Plus the preview of the next ep. looks like the Omecs are somebody will spring them from the VC anyway.
    What's so amazing about Defiance anyway that the vice head of the VC is there negotiating a peace deal with them directly? It's a one pub, one cop town?

Dan_Solo wrote: »
    Is that an Omen feeding joke? ;)
    OK episode, Irisa should have stuck the oar/needle in waaay earlier, obvious Nolan was gone mental. Doubt we'll see any trip to South America etc., the show is called and about the town of Defiance. Plus the preview of the next ep. looks like the Omecs are somebody will spring them from the VC anyway.
    What's so amazing about Defiance anyway that the vice head of the VC is there negotiating a peace deal with them directly? It's a one pub, one cop town?

You caught my deliberate punning :cool: In Irisa's defence she did try to stab him but like everything else she's tried this season she has largely been ineffective. I like how her make-up and look has improved over the years though.

Yeah it was a solid enough episode, not sure where they are going with the VC arch though.

Way too soon, man. We mourn you, St. Louis Arch.

Well another season done and dusted, well I think it's a season, the ending felt very much like a series closure.

This season was very very dark. Lots of graphic murders, threats of baby cannibalism and incest.

I thought it was a good season, thought they could of done more with both the VC and Omec, with the latter story feeling it was a little tacked on.

Datak was the stand out character this season, he had some great scenes, if there is another season I think the writers made him more likable so he can be main character until Nolan makes his return.

Doc Yule was another good character this season.

As for Nolan, they gave him what I thought a very good ending. He got to give Irisa a life away from him, he got to be the Hero and a chance of redemption in saving the remaining Omec.

All in all, I enjoyed it, it's a far better series than Falling Skies, it has a actual plot and characters that can be killed off in brutal ways. I really hope it's not the last we see of Defiance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭shinny

It definitely felt like a series finale alright. I enjoyed it. I hope it does get another season, but if not, I think they "ended" it as well as they could.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 77 ✭✭fartingforfun

It would be a shame to end now, the first 3 seasons have done all the heavy lifting and established a good back story.
    There is so much more to be show of this Defiance universe, a show set in the VC Brazil, a show in Europe or anywhere else on Earth.
    They should see Defiance as like the original Star Trek and create spin off shows.
    Anyway we should know soon if it has been given a fourth season.

Final season averages: 0.25 rating in the 18-49 demographic with 1.13 million total viewers; about 46% down from last season.

Would be surprised if it gets renewed on those numbers, but we should know next week.

Final season averages: 0.25 rating in the 18-49 demographic with 1.13 million total viewers; about 46% down from last season.

Would be surprised if it gets renewed on those numbers, but we should know next week.

I think they ended the season with that in mind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭Marcus Antonius

Yeah disappointed it's finished even if it's not particularly surprising, at least the ending wrapped up some things.

Advertisement