Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Defiance [SyFy - US] [** Spoilers **]

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

It kicks off tonight on SyFy....i'll tune in.

deco nate wrote: »
    saw a webrip today and for me it was meh.
    however im gonna give it a few episodes
    before i call it quits.

Good spot ;) - waiting for a proper 720p though...i like my Sci-Fi in HD :)

• Registered Users Posts: 43,778 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Spoiler tag added to thread title..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

was it any good?

• Registered Users Posts: 53,902 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

I'm shocked that I thought it was quite good. I was expecting rubbish because I usually hate SyFy shows but this had me surprised

It's a pity the cgi is poor again in a SyFy show thou

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

its pretty good, Kinda seen it all before cliches but i've been missing me some scifi. first ep is very long at 1 and half hours

there seems to be one race of aliens who are just all emos

• Registered Users Posts: 3,060 ✭✭✭Sarn

I enjoyed it. Between the CGI and the Bear McCreary music running in the background I thought it had a real Caprica feel.

A very brief nod to the game at the start, with the crystal rod being used in the Arkfall.

Will have to see how it holds up over the long haul, but in the absence of much else, I'll be watching it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,665 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Not bad, not bad at all, deffinitely worth giving it a few episodes and im still curious how they might tie the game in

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭johndoe99

reminds me of Alien Nation. The CGI sucks though, hopefully it gets better throughout.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,671 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Actually, alot better than I expected and compared to the much larger budget Revolution, more watchable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Footoo

"I don't like the look of that scaffolding"

:eek:

Who let that line through?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

I'd echo what everyone else has been saying in that its much better then I thought it would be . The opening scene with the two of them dueting to Johnny Cash could have been cringey but they pulled it off due to their excellent chemistry , what the show pulled off less well was the cgi badlands. Now I've often decried sci fi shows using the canadian wilderness as a stand in for alien planets in the past but if the Cgi is going to be as ropey as that bring back the conifers. Both Car scenes whether shot internally with cgi scenery zipping by or external looked dodgy as F**k which was strange as I felt the cgi elsewhere was pretty decent , but who knows maybe they ran out of cash .

Early days of course but my first impressions are a lot more favorable then they were with Terra Nova , Falling Skies and revolution .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

Think the deal is already done for two seasons. I do hope the cgi improves. The less they use the better unless they fix it. Thought the first episode was ok, cheesy futuristic deadwood.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,548 ✭✭✭squonk

Have to weigh in here and say I really liked it as well. I wasn't expecting a lot admittedly. I was delighted to see Fionnula Flanagan in the credits and then to see she has a fairly important recurring role so that's a plus right off. Some of the CGI was a bit dodge but I'm willing to forgive them that. I just hope that the storyline evolves and doesn't become a procedural cop show kind of thing but we'll see. The fight arena scene put me in mind of Babylon 5 which is no bad thing. I should be more jaded, I've seen all of this before but it's far more engaging than Falling Skies, Continuum and definitely Revolution. I'm actually being unfair to Continuum in throwing it in with FS & Rev :).

Also, with the amount of alternate reality Sci Fi around at the moment, it was just nice to see at the beginning some ships show up. The opening shot with the earth being orbited by the alien ships was great and it felt like a breath of fresh air.

Incidentally, I also got put in mind of Earth Final Conflict while watching this. As I say, all good really!

TBH i dont get people complaining about the cgi, this isnt a big budget show you cant expect draw dropping avataresque stuff

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

The CGI definitely wasn't top notch, but it was really only the car bits that bothered me. They were so poor that they ended up being very jarring. The rest was up to the task though, not jaw dropping but didn't ruin immersion in the show.

I thought that was a good start to the show, better than I expected and I'll look forward to watching a few more.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,279 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Irisa seems like a good character and like the relationship with her and her dad Nolan, I think Grant Bowler has great charisma to play Nolan so good casting there, overall not a bad pilot

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

pretty good start to the show, i was surprised they used that sphere so soon, thought it would have been some plot point dragged out over a season or 2, it will be interesting to see what it is exactly they former mayor is looking for, seeing as she wanted to wipe out the town in order to find it,

and id say that car chase scene must have been taken right out of the game, probably done on purpose to show some of the game id say, once it relevant to the story graphics like that dont bother me, sanctuary was about 90% CGI and it never put me off it,

im delighted it lived up to my expectations, another decent if earth bound sci-fi show to watch, really missing space though:o:D:D

don ramo wrote: »
    and id say that car chase scene must have been taken right out of the game, probably done on purpose to show some of the game id say, once it relevant to the story graphics like that dont bother me, sanctuary was about 90% CGI and it never put me off it,

Nope wasnt taken from the game its a whole different set of awful as far as graphics go

• Advertisement

VinLieger wrote: »
    Nope wasnt taken from the game its a whole different set of awful as far as graphics go
    naw you should watch the submarine going under water, or the shark in LOST, that was bad

VinLieger wrote: »
    TBH i dont get people complaining about the cgi, this isnt a big budget show you cant expect draw dropping avataresque stuff

I thought they did pretty well, that battle was rather epic and very Lord Of The Rings meets Helms Deep....good stuff!

Literally just finished watching this and i thought it was pretty good!...if anything i think the whole human vs. alien angle was a little 90210 in its execution, but they showed some promise with Detak's wife clearly the brains and the long term gameplan.

I'd prefer a more Game Of Thrones subtle backstabbing and skullduggery then having two rival families marry. Weird assortment of characters, the battle and Voth tech was pretty darn good. The CGI was ok, some of it was better quality then other stuff.

There is potential if they move away from a sheriff of the week meets Jusrified angle and go for a bigger arc, which the end suggets.

It was better then expected, 4/5....it kept me watching and engaged....will tune in next week. Btw...big fan of Kenya already!....pretty graphic sex scene for syfy also....wonder if there is an unrated DVD version?

Footoo wrote: »
    "I don't like the look of that scaffolding"

:eek:

Who let that line through?

yeah....on reflection, was dodgy for a alien to say....... :P

I'd echo what everyone else has been saying in that its much better then I thought it would be . The opening scene with the two of them dueting to Johnny Cash could have been cringey but they pulled it off due to their excellent chemistry , what the show pulled off less well was the cgi badlands. Now I've often decried sci fi shows using the canadian wilderness as a stand in for alien planets in the past but if the Cgi is going to be as ropey as that bring back the conifers. Both Car scenes whether shot internally with cgi scenery zipping by or external looked dodgy as F**k which was strange as I felt the cgi elsewhere was pretty decent , but who knows maybe they ran out of cash .

Early days of course but my first impressions are a lot more favorable then they were with Terra Nova , Falling Skies and revolution .

I think they threw the cash into the battle scene, which for the most part besides some dodgy green screen inserts of bikes looked pretty quality, as i said it looked very Helms Deep.

Ah-ha!....i just Googled Mia Kirshner....Isobel from TVD!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Missed this ,anyone know when its repeated?

• Registered Users Posts: 85,279 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Dcully wrote: »
    Missed this ,anyone know when its repeated?

I'm sure SyFy UK will repeat it quiet a few times over the week

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭downwithpeace

The CGI and dodgy lines were noticeable but it didn't take from the show.

Good episode but I wonder if it can stay good.

• Advertisement

on further thought of the pilot, its seemed very eureka ish,

guy comes into town with his "daughter" whos a bit of a rebel, ends up saving the day and is then made sheriff,

strong woman in charge,

a local establishment with an on the ball patron,

the local genius that seems capable of putting their hands to anything,

a background element that is trusted to a fault but is working to ruin the town,

Advertisement