Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Due September 2012 thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭MintyDoris

Squiggler wrote: »
    The consultants are another matter, the first wanted us to agree to induction, or planned c-section at 37 weeks. The latest, while telling us that he respects our right to choose, has said that he would want us to agree to induction at 40 weeks "if not before" but has given no clear indications as to his reasoning for this, or what basis he would be pushing for a pre-40 week induction.

WTF??? that makes absolutely no sense to me AT ALL. What was your answer back to this?
    We are not willing to agree to any interventions that are not medically necessary and based on our personal circumstances (i.e., our test results, as opposed to statistical information and hospital policy) .

For this, I admire you greatly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Squiggler

MintyDoris wrote: »
    WTF??? that makes absolutely no sense to me AT ALL

For this, I admire you greatly.

Yeah, we can't work it out either. There seems to be no rationale or logic involved. You don't see that in other branches of medicine, treatment plans based on averages and statistics, so I don't understand how they are allowed to get away with it in something as hugely full of variety as maternity care.

Laziness maybe.

Just saw your edit - I smiled at him, and politely told him that I would not agree to an induction, at any point, without sufficient medical evidence that it was required as all the evidence shows that such intervention invariably leads to requirement for further intervention and could have disasterous consequences if it lead to the worst case scenario. Use their stats against them is my new motto :D

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Queen of Sheebs

Has anyone experienced sharp stabbing pains behind their belly button? Mine were only lasting a couple of seconds but would take my breath away they were so painful. Had them every 3 or 4 minutes for nearly 2 hours. Been released from hospital but no answers really as to what they were.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭emer_b

Thanks ladies, my OH wanted to know aswell since day one so it was an easy decision to find out. If he didn't then I wouldn't have either.
    The scanner told us he was 99% sure (because of the position) so theres always that niggly 1% chance that I'm buying the wrong colour curtains ha ha!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 17 beego

hi everybody,
    hope everybody keeping well. 21 week scan tomorrow can't wait to see our little kicker. was very bold on sat went to baby elegance in Dundrum and ordered a three in one. buggy,carseat,carry basket and few other bits and pieces. very good prices and most helpfull staff. hard to believe it's half way only seems like 5 mins ago we found out the good news. how time flies. started a baby diary so been hard at work filling that in. off to watch one born every minute i recorded for the 1000000 time. will fill you in how the scan goes tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭elaney

Squiggler i hope everything works out well for you. This is something
    you don't need when you are pregnant.

Just browsing and noticed Mola1 is back in the January thread. :D

Congrats Emerb . I hope to find out the sex but don't have a scan till 30 weeks.

That sounds painful Queen of Sheebs never had it but the amount of aches and pains is unreal. You mention being discharged from hospital hope you are ok?

Had my docs appointment yesterday all is well thank God.

only a hour and a half till scan. so excited. painted the baby nursery last night looks great. hoping if i am allowed to put winnie the poo murals on the wall. away with the fairies at the moment with ideas. thinking of puting my name foward for grand designs on channel 4. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭jeeney

Yeah, we can't work it out either. There seems to be no rationale or logic involved. You don't see that in other branches of medicine, treatment plans based on averages and statistics, so I don't understand how they are allowed to get away with it in something as hugely full of variety as maternity care.

Laziness maybe.

Just saw your edit - I smiled at him, and politely told him that I would not agree to an induction, at any point, without sufficient medical evidence that it was required as all the evidence shows that such intervention invariably leads to requirement for further intervention and could have disasterous consequences if it lead to the worst case scenario. Use their stats against them is my new motto :D

Squiggler, am I missing something here? I thought you were going for a home birth? Isn't a home birth the whole point of avoiding any unnecessary interventions if medically possible? So why the hell is your consultant going on about inductions, pre-planned c-sections, etc? Do you have to go private to consider a home birth?
    I hope everything works out for you in the long run.

Anyone getting any braxton hicks yet? I'm getting tightness and weird cramps every now and again. They only last about half a minute or so. Didn't think they'd start this early, but then I can't remember when exactly they started on previous pregnancy.

jeeney wrote: »
    Squiggler, am I missing something here? I thought you were going for a home birth? Isn't a home birth the whole point of avoiding any unnecessary interventions if medically possible? So why the hell is your consultant going on about inductions, pre-planned c-sections, etc? Do you have to go private to consider a home birth?
    I hope everything works out for you in the long run.

Thanks jeeney.

To be approved for a home birth you have to register with a maternity hospital (in case you need to transfer during pregnancy or labour as a result of complications). This means that you have to attend the registration clinic etc. Our registered hospital randomly assigned us a consultant and we saw him that first day, we (him, my husband and me) all agreed that we weren't a fit (he didn't approve of home birth at all and had very pro-intervention leanings). This meant that we had to meet with the master of the hosptial to discuss assignment of a more suitable consultant should we need to transfer at any point.

In the meantime, the HSE requested that we get a consultant to confirm (to the HSE in writing) that all was well with me and the pregnancy before they would sign off on the homebirth. And that's where we're now stuck. Both the first consultant and the master have examined me and confirmed that everything is perfect, but still we're being pressurised to accept hospital based care, even while they acknowledge that medically it is not necessary

We'll just have to stand our ground. You'd think these guys have enough patients to deal with without unnecessarily forcing people to accept their care :rolleyes:

Edit: No, no Braxton Hicks yet, thankfully. They're not bad, but will be quite happy if they hold off for another 9 or 10 weeks. Had them from about week 25/26 last time.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭jeeney

Mmmm makes interesting reading Squigs. But you sure have your work cut out trying to stand your ground. I know you'd have to register with a hospital regardless just in case you'd have to transfer to the hosp. But as you're pregnancy seems to be going quite normal, you'd wonder why they are insisting that you agree to all those things...

Lucky you with no braxton hicks. Ah they're fine really, just surprised to start getting them this early. Im 22 weeks.

Hope everyone else is doing good. Mintydoris and Emerb - glad to hear ye're scans went well. Minty - I had similar twitches like you for a while. Now they feel more prominent, but I dont know would I describe them as kicks or punches just yet though...! Def more frequency in movements throughout the day too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Vel

We had two wide awake and playful visitors to our bed this morning at 5.45am! It seemed to cause great excitement with the bump who woke kicking and poking and seemed to be joining in with their games.

Feeling the best I have felt in the whole 21 weeks of pregnancy these days. Definetely not the second trimester full of energy that we are led to believe will be the case but certainly feeling well. Nausea has lessened an awful lot and vomiting has decreased too. Yay!

Loving following everyone's stories. We have our first (and only - if all ok) scan this Tuesday which I am very much looking forward to. Kids will be in creche and we are both taking the day off work so will head out for lunch after.

Really would love to go and see the Cure this year at Electric Picnic but don't feel I could be bothered to drag my pregnant self down there!!

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Smarten

We are in the coombe today for our week 21 scan. To say we are excited and a little anxious is an understatement. This is our first and we have about a million questions. Love this forum as lots of excellent advice and support. Hope you are all doing well and enjoying your pregnancy. Roll on EDD 27th Sept Proud dad to be :-)

Smarten wrote: »
    We are in the coombe today for our week 21 scan. To say we are excited and a little anxious is an understatement. This is our first and we have about a million questions. Love this forum as lots of excellent advice and support. Hope you are all doing well and enjoying your pregnancy. Roll on EDD 27th Sept Proud dad to be :-)

snap. had the 21 week scan yeaterday in the coombe. due 27th sep. we can wet our babies heads in the pub down the road together:D

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭taxus_baccata

Hi All, How is evryone doing? I haven't been around in ages so it was nice to read through and see all the progress! We're into week 25 now! Baby was very active last week and its daddy even got to feel it kick, this week its being a very quiet little baby, needless to say, I'm panicing my head off, I'm getting an occassional kick but nothing like last weeks clangers! I've tried moving around, jiggling belly, listening to loud music, deep breathing, talking to bump, daddy talking to bump, etc :). to get baby to move back to kicking me in my belly button, which actually feels quite weird but at least you are in no doubt as to baby's wellbeing while it's there! :D

I was very tempted to drink a can of coke yesterday to see what would happen (thankfully I talked myself out of that one!) Off to doc later, cannot wait to hear baby on the doppler! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭taxus_baccata

oh:eek:, just as I posted that I got a big kick below the belly button, our baby is just a messer! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭SupaDupaFly

Hi guys,
    So overdue an update its not funny. Have been following the thread though and congrats on all your progress everyone. Great to see how everyone is doing. I've had a crazy time of it since I found out I was pregnant.

Turns out the extreme morning sickness I was having, wasn't just morning sickness. At 10 weeks I was admitted to hospital after two trips the a+e. My liver function was crazy high and they found out I had gallstones which were acting up. I was sent home the next day and never made it home!

One of the gallstones travelled into a bile duct in my pancreas and blocked it. I have honestly never experienced pain like it. I couldn't stand or sit, just scream. Straight back into hospital and to maternity. They were great but can't remember the first 3 to 4 day. The only painkiller that was safe for baby was pethadine so I was given that every 6 hours along with anti sickness injection, antibiotics and fluids. No food for 6 days. To cut a long story short, they moved me to cork, had an MRI, found out the stone finally moved through the pancreas. Sent me home after two weeks. Will have to remove gallbladder six weeks after baby is born. I was never so glad to see my own bed!

Anyway, I'm now 21 weeks and baby is doing well. Can't eat anything with fat, no red meat, no fizzy drinks, dairy, citrus fruits. Surviving on chicken fillets but it will all be worth it.

Everyone in the hospital told me I would have been better off miscarrying because it was so early into my pregnancy and the baby was in massive amounts of stress due to the pain, medication and lack of food.

Thank god I obviously have a lil fighter and he/she is hanging on in there. Getting kicked a lot lately which is great. GTT test in two weeks and another scan in 5. Hope everyone else us doing well.

Take care,

Supa.

Hi guys,
    So overdue an update its not funny. Have been following the thread though and congrats on all your progress everyone. Great to see how everyone is doing. I've had a crazy time of it since I found out I was pregnant.

Turns out the extreme morning sickness I was having, wasn't just morning sickness. At 10 weeks I was admitted to hospital after two trips the a+e. My liver function was crazy high and they found out I had gallstones which were acting up. I was sent home the next day and never made it home!

One of the gallstones travelled into a bile duct in my pancreas and blocked it. I have honestly never experienced pain like it. I couldn't stand or sit, just scream. Straight back into hospital and to maternity. They were great but can't remember the first 3 to 4 day. The only painkiller that was safe for baby was pethadine so I was given that every 6 hours along with anti sickness injection, antibiotics and fluids. No food for 6 days. To cut a long story short, they moved me to cork, had an MRI, found out the stone finally moved through the pancreas. Sent me home after two weeks. Will have to remove gallbladder six weeks after baby is born. I was never so glad to see my own bed!

Anyway, I'm now 21 weeks and baby is doing well. Can't eat anything with fat, no red meat, no fizzy drinks, dairy, citrus fruits. Surviving on chicken fillets but it will all be worth it.

Everyone in the hospital told me I would have been better off miscarrying because it was so early into my pregnancy and the baby was in massive amounts of stress due to the pain, medication and lack of food.

Thank god I obviously have a lil fighter and he/she is hanging on in there. Getting kicked a lot lately which is great. GTT test in two weeks and another scan in 5. Hope everyone else us doing well.

Take care,

Supa.

:eek: Wow Supa and i was complaining about morning sickness.

So glad you and the lil one are well, you definetly have a little fighter there. Hope the rest of your pregnancy is plain sailing.

hi everyone,
    hope everything hunky dory with every one. had the 21 week scan last week was a bit nervous but everything went brilliant. baby a chip off the auld block not into photos. kept its hands over its face the whole time so midwife had a hard time getting picture of its face. the missus ended up jogging on the spot to see if the hands came down.

everything going great except niamh is suffering chronic with heartburn every night and not sleeping. tried everything rennie's, gaviscon, milk no joy. :(

anybody know of any miricle cures for it.

beego, sorry I can't help you out on the heartburn. Haven't had any yet this time, but I was plagued with it last pregnancy. Avoiding eating late at night seemed to make it less of an issue.

Glad to hear that everyone's scans are going well and babies are all thriving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭emer_b

Hi beego, I know all about the heartburn, has been with me since week 6 and getting worse all the time. Thankfully I'm getting a little relief from rennie and am able to sleep.
    I find that dairy can aggravate it, have cut out yogurts and just have a small drop of milk with my breakfast. My acupuncturist has been trying out a few natural remedies on me, the latest one which I'm going to start today is Caricol, it's papaya purée which comes in tubes and supposed to be good for all digestive complaints including heartburn. Ill let you know how it goes!

• Advertisement

emer_b wrote: »
    Hi beego, I know all about the heartburn, has been with me since week 6 and getting worse all the time. Thankfully I'm getting a little relief from rennie and am able to sleep.
    I find that dairy can aggravate it, have cut out yogurts and just have a small drop of milk with my breakfast. My acupuncturist has been trying out a few natural remedies on me, the latest one which I'm going to start today is Caricol, it's papaya purée which comes in tubes and supposed to be good for all digestive complaints including heartburn. Ill let you know how it goes!

cheers emer that would be great. any help / tips to get rid of the heartburn much appriciated :). hope the caricol helps you get some relief.

Anyone else feel like they're inflating like a balloon? After only gaining 6lbs during the first 21 weeks I've gained a pound a day for the last 5 days!

And I seem to be constantly hungry, even after I've just eaten. Making sure I eat pretty healthily, but the sheer quantity of food I'm consuming is worrying.

But baby seems to be thriving anyway, plenty of movement and activity, and I guess that is the important thing, even if Mommy is going to be the size of a house by the time he or she arrives.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭MintyDoris

Hi guys,

Take care,

Supa.

Janey Mac Supa!!! You really have been through the mill, hope you are feeling a bit better now.

Had the hospital anomoly scan (24 week) yesterday. There was a period of about 20 minutes where the OH and I sat there cold and not saying a word. There seemed to be a problem with the heart. She was checking and checking and checking and finally got another woman in the look at something. She was finally able to find whatever it was they were looking for and you could just feel the tension leave the room.

The placenta is sitting very low so they want me to come back for another scan at 34w. But other than that she said all looked good. We said after this scan we would start buying stuff but I'm kind of afraid to start cuz I just wont stop :D Have the buggy and the car seat picked out so going to get that at some stage soon and I am going to go to M&S, Penneys, Dunnes etc to get some of the white babygrows and the other essentials for the first few weeks.

Squiggler - I feel exactly like a balloon! No idea how much weight I have put on but I am changing shape all over the place. Still love my bump

How is everyone else getting on?

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Sunshine2000

Something similar to my story went for the 22 week private anomaly scan and she kept coming back to the heart sent me out of the room to walk around twice etc then eventually said I said get a detailed cardiac scan in the hospital. It was a very worrying few days waiting for the scan but when we went to the hospital two sonographers checks the heart ( they said from 5 different angles) and they said everything looked perfect. That same clinic that I had gone to had sent 8 peope in two weeks to the hospital with similar stories! So the hospital are taking it further. Stressful... Very! Glad all is ok tho, it had really put a damper on things.
    24 weeks today, I can't believe it!! : )

Aw MintyDoris and Sunshine, that's awful about your scan stress. Glad it turned out to be nothing to worry about for both of you. Must have been very difficult for you both and for your partners.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭emmabrighton

I had my 22 week scan today. It was awful!!!! I am so upset! I went for my 17 week scan and everything was honkeydorey they were really happy that things were progressing nicely.

The sonographer today said I had low amniotic fluid and asked if I had noticed a loss of fluid. I hadn't! When I asked her how much was considered significant, she couldnt tell me she just said I would know.

Still, she said she was going to send me for a second opinion on monday. I think I am going to pass out with the stress of waiting. Thats 5 days! And I thought everything was going well.

I feel like I have done something wrong. I stopped feeling the baby moving around a lot about 2 weeks ago but because it is my first, I didnt know that this is a sign of low amniotic fluid. I just thought this can happen from time to time.

I couldnt bare to watch the scan once i found this out. I just wanted to leave the room so I could cry. I have seen on the forums that I need to take rest and drink plenty of fluids but I wasn't told this by the sonographer. I have an emergency appointment with my consultant tomorrow at 10. To be honest, I thought I would see her today. I am devastated.

I know I should be more upbeat but I am just so upset, worried and feeling guilty.

emmabrighton, you poor thing! You have absolutely nothing to feel guilty about so stop beating yourself up. Do take care of yourself and try to relax and stay calm.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭TRISHKA

Ahh so sorry to hear our Sept mammies(emmabriton, sunshine and mintydorris) having such unhappy scans, its such a worrying time, big hugs to you all. I have my second hospital apt next week at 24 weeks and hoping I will have a scan(going consultant led public) but a friend of mine whose going midwife led rang her hospital today and was told she has had her one scan(the booking scan) and wont be getting another:eek: At my booking scan at 16 weeks I found the whole experience so clenical and that every lady was just a number they were trying to get through as quickly as possible, was an emotional wreck after leaving the hospital so kinda not looking forward to next week, although hubby was having problems getting off work next week, but got a swop organised today so at least he will be there for the support.

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭SupaDupaFly

Thanks elaney and Minty Doris. Everything is going good now. Hope the test of the summer flies for us all!

So scary hearing about all the scan problems everyone is having. I can imagine how scary it was at the time. I'm sure everything will work out just fine though guys :-)

Off on holidays today, Woohoo. Was scared to go too far so off to Clare for a week. Will be lovely to sit by the beach and relax. Not doing too much of that lately though, baby is kicking like a lunatic everyday.

Enjoy the sunshine everyone x

• Advertisement

Ah Emma try not to worry. Easier said than done. I cannot believe they would make you wait that long for an appointment, the health service in this country is a joke!

So glad everything is fine now sunshine & minty. Pregnancy can be a scary time. Enjoy the holidays supa you couldn't have picked a better time to go.

Everything is fine with me so far hopefully it stays that way. Baby is getting more active everyday hope everyone enjoys the sun over the weekend.

Advertisement