Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming News

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Forza Horizon please. I'm more an arcade racing fan and the Horizon games are my jam.

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭SomeSayKos

I'll be getting the discless version as I've essentially had a discless version of the ps4 for the last few years and it suits me. Not really into trading games anyways.

I think the machine looks a bit manky. If it was all black so it matched everything else around my tv then I'd probably like it more but it doesn't really matter as I'm probably going to buy it anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭quokula

SomeSayKos wrote: »
    I'll be getting the discless version as I've essentially had a discless version of the ps4 for the last few years and it suits me. Not really into trading games anyways.

I think the machine looks a bit manky. If it was all black so it matched everything else around my tv then I'd probably like it more but it doesn't really matter as I'm probably going to buy it anyways.

My girlfriend was horrified when she saw it. I told her we can just redo the living room to match it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

quokula wrote: »
    My girlfriend was horrified when she saw it. I told her we can just redo the living room to match it.

Mine will be hidden in an entertainment unit at the back of the room so I don't have to look at it. They better include that horizontal stand in the box.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,104 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

I don't understand how it can be so disastrous for a living room's decor. Is it taking pride of place on a marble table in the middle of the room?

Mine will be under the TV where you can see the front of it and that's it. Like almost every console I've owned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,992 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

J. Marston wrote: »
    I don't understand how it can be so disastrous for a living room's decor. Is it taking pride of place on a marble table in the middle of the room?

Mine will be under the TV where you can see the front of it and that's it. Like almost every console I've owned.

eh, folks just like to whinge. half of them probably have PC's that are in a case that resembles something that looks like two of Michael Bays transformers, having a brawl at a rave.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,095 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I’m the same tbh, it’s a box to play video games, design aesthetics are far down the list of priorities for me. I personally like the PS5 design as it’s slick and a bit different (albeit far short of the gold standard of the GameCube ;)), whereas I think the Xbox is a bit bland albeit utilitarian. But I think both will be incredibly capable machines, so what they look like will have zero impact on my decision to buy or not buy them. To be honest the most important thing about the design is whether or not they’ve been designed optimally to avoid any overheating issues. I’d be confident both Microsoft and Sony have done their job there after the 360/PS3 era issues.

Some of the gaming desktops I've made over the years have looked like monstrosities. 😂

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Thanks to it appearing on the Xbox.com website, Star Wars Squadrons has been leaked.

star-wars-squadrons.jpg?itok=i-CdzDVN

See WindowsCentral. All that's been shown so far is that image, so presume that we'll see more over the next few days during EA's show.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It will probably just be dumbed down Tie Fighter and rubbish :(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Retr0gamer wrote: »

The Squadrons thing harkens back to Rogue Squadron in my mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,653 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Wasn't there a cancelled game from about 5 years ago with a similar name/theme?

Edit: Yeah, SW Attack Squadrons (2014). Was going to be F2P MP with loot boxes or some other monetisation shite.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,843 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

EA just froze it in carbonite.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Reveal video coming on Monday now, guess whoever has to update the Xbox website wasnt informed the EA event was pushed back.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,653 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

So this'll be that "Project Maverick" being worked on by Motive then.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

It probably won't happen soon as Disney are bigger money vampires than EA but I hope someone besides EA can make Star Wars games soon. They got the licence at a good time and just shat the bed with it....kinda like Disney too.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,233 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Warner Bros' parent company might be looking to offload their games division and licences, which would include Batman. EA, Activision and Take Two reportedly interested.

https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2020/06/12/att-seeks-sale-for-warner-gaming-unit-could-fetch-4-billion.html

Would include the likes of Batman, Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings and Mortal Kombat

Penn wrote: »
    EA, Activision and Take Two reportedly interested.

Ugh. None of those fill me with confidence. I'd almost like Microsoft or Sony to buy them out, even though it'd result in the multiplatform licenses being lost. at least they seem to value creative output.

Not that AT&T were any great shakes either, to be honest, just really don't want this to feck over a bunch of talented developers.

As an aside, how does a business get 200 billion in debt and still be considered valuable on a stock market? I'll never wrap my head around that kind of thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,484 ✭✭✭✭Varik

AT&T making some big changes all over.

DC themselves cut out Diamond the big monopolistic comic distributor last week to go with 2 others.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭OptimusTractor

CatInABox wrote: »
    Ugh. None of those fill me with confidence. I'd almost like Microsoft or Sony to buy them out, even though it'd result in the multiplatform licenses being lost. at least they seem to value creative output.

Not that AT&T were any great shakes either, to be honest, just really don't want this to feck over a bunch of talented developers.

As an aside, how does a business get 200 billion in debt and still be considered valuable on a stock market? I'll never wrap my head around that kind of thing.

Capitalism man. Nothing Else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,335 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

CatInABox wrote: »
    The Squadrons thing harkens back to Rogue Squadron in my mind.

That's the point of the name. To tie into your nostalgia.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,698 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Apparently they've been recruiting from the Ace Combat fandom.

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Apparently they've been recruiting from the Ace Combat fandom.

Hold up a minute! There's some pretty great Ace combat fan and indie games.

Interest piqued!

Ace combat star wars game would actually be amazing

ERG89 wrote: »
    It probably won't happen soon as Disney are bigger money vampires than EA but I hope someone besides EA can make Star Wars games soon. They got the licence at a good time and just shat the bed with it....kinda like Disney too.

They got a 10 year exclusive on the license in 2013, so it will be 2023 at the earliest before another developer can start working on a SW game. Lets be optimistic and say they can develop it in 2 years, so we are looking at 5 more years at the earliest before we get a non-EA SW game.

I would be very surprised if Disney extend the license, EA have only released 3 games in the 7 years since they got the license, and one of them was an unmitigated disaster that got Disney caught up in a child gambling scandal.

I think it is likely that they will adopt the same system as their Marvel games division, where there are no exclusive rights for any publisher.
    Hold up a minute! There's some pretty great Ace combat fan and indie games.

Interest piqued!

Ace combat star wars game would actually be amazing

This game is the leftover remnants of a game that was the leftover remnants of another game. They lost their studio head halfway through and are probably ****ting this out to stick to the terms of their license.

As someone that loves the SW flight sims and action games, I am keeping my expectations at zero. It will likely be some MTX-filled multiplayer nonsense. I really hope I am wrong though

• Registered Users Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

As much as i'd love another TIE Fighter or X-Wing Alliance, i can see this being a €60 World of Warplanes with a thin veneer of Star Wars on top of it.

You want a B-Wing? f&^k you, pay up!
    You want a TIE Defender? f*&k you, pay up!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Finally the remaster we've been waiting for ... here it is ... the one you've been most excited about ....

Lee Carvallo's Putting Challenge:
    https://aaron-demeter.itch.io/lee-carvallos-putting-challenge

:D

(there's a non-zero chance this Simpsons reference is too old) :)

As much as i'd love another TIE Fighter or X-Wing Alliance, i can see this being a €60 World of Warplanes with a thin veneer of Star Wars on top of it.

You want a B-Wing? f&^k you, pay up!
    You want a TIE Defender? f*&k you, pay up!

That's exactly what I have set my expectations to.

I really have no idea why this kind of genre isn't popular anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 12,484 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Star Wars: Squadrons

Just a cinematic trailer, and some random bits. 5 Vs 5 MP and a single player. Made it sound like unlocks can't be bought.

More showing on 18th

Varik wrote: »
    Star Wars: Squadrons

Just a cinematic trailer, and some random bits. 5 Vs 5 MP and a single player. Made it sound like unlocks can't be bought.

More showing on 18th

If the SP isn't an afterthought, I may allow myself to consider the possibility of potentially becoming interested in it.

No PS5/XSX version mentioned though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,484 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I saw a leak from ign that's since been deleted that there will be VR modes for ps4 and pc. VR space battles could be class.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement