Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming News

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,827 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

XBOX teasing something Game of Thrones related... a reskinned Scalebound to make shock reappearance? :pac:

https://twitter.com/Xbox/status/1125188426934902784

There's been another rumour floating about, claiming George RR Martin has been collaborating with From Software on something. Probably a load of shite, but we'll see.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

https://www.shacknews.com/

Seems to focus on game news only. There's not many left. Obviously Polygon and Kotaku are blacklisted.

Is it ignorant to ask why they're blacklisted?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

I find they push their own political agendas into their articles so there's no news to be had. It's boring at this stage. I just don't care anymore. Also they are full of GOT, Marvel etc. I'd rather read about games, not some geeks review of GoT.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

I find they push their own political agendas into their articles so there's no news to be had. It's boring at this stage. I just don't care anymore. Also they are full of GOT, Marvel etc. I'd rather read about games, not some geeks review of GoT.

That's fair. I still look at Kotaku out of habit, and probably because I haven't found a good alternative. It's very easy to get my news here.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,868 ✭✭✭Cordell

I tend to steer away from gaming journalism, but rockpapershotgun.com is one of the few I still visit occasionally.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,527 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Don't bother with any of them anymore, news tends to work its way into my feeds/SM/whatever anyway without them.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Resetera is the best place to find gaming news as soon as it breaks. As news from there often filters down to reddit, Youtubers or game sites who I imaging use it to find their own news stories.
    Community ain't healthy but they are great for posting obscure news or updates on just about any game out there. Even if its from Japanese sources; something not covered as much since Andriasang closed.
    Honestly I just use twitter or reddit as I'm never desperate to find stuff outside of review embargo's ending

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

XBOX teasing something Game of Thrones related... a reskinned Scalebound to make shock reappearance? :pac:

There's been another rumour floating about, claiming George RR Martin has been collaborating with From Software on something. Probably a load of shite, but we'll see.

Probably just a GoT themed console, with a dragon scale casing.

Gunmonkey wrote: »
    Probably just a GoT themed console, with a dragon scale casing.

Disappointing. Hopefully there's something to the From Software rumour though.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,683 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

ERG89 wrote: »
    Resetera is the best place to find gaming news as soon as it breaks.

Yeah, fresh news definitely but trawling through pages of what the thread should be called is ****ing annoying.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,121 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

ERG89 wrote: »
    Resetera is the best place to find gaming news as soon as it breaks. As news from there often filters down to reddit, Youtubers or game sites who I imaging use it to find their own news stories.
    Community ain't healthy but they are great for posting obscure news or updates on just about any game out there. Even if its from Japanese sources; something not covered as much since Andriasang closed.
    Honestly I just use twitter or reddit as I'm never desperate to find stuff outside of review embargo's ending

Siliconera is pretty good for Japanese news even if it's not as good as andriasang was.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

www.nichegamer.com are pretty good for news I find and I rarely see any social injustice or hard bias in the actual articles.
    www.exclusivelygames.com I use for features, reviews and editorial type content (which overall I'm not much of a fan of)
    YellowSuperNintendo Niche coverage of Japanese titles but lately does emerging topics that resonate with me

censoredgaming
    www.oneangrygamer.net
    CensoredGaming is clear cut reporting on censorship both news and retrospective. OAG is more on the news side and digs deeper with things like bans.

8ch's v will often have a thread (or two) up on breaking news with zero filter. Handy for when other outlets have all agreed on a narrative or to not cover something. Usually an active GG thread too.

www.linuxgamecast.com
    www.gamingonlinux.com
    Great for games & tech with no Windows focus which is rare for non-console gaming sites. LGCs podcasts are very nice and the only place I've found that actively cover steam updates in detail.

Game Objective
    appabend
    TheQuartering
    Coverage, responses & opinions on things happening on gaming outlets & social media.

I try avoid places that have taken a hard anti gamergate stance or too many influential staff that were active in GJP.

Speaking of news and these sites, Wikipedia have censored whether a DRM has been cracked:
    https://www.oneangrygamer.net/2019/05/wikipedia-removes-columns-highlighting-cracked-denuvo-games/83566/
    For crack information I use https://crackwatch.com/

Easy anti-cheat are pausing linux support:
    https://www.gamingonlinux.com/articles/easy-anti-cheat-are-apparently-pausing-their-linux-support-which-could-be-a-big-problem.14069
    There are some windows-only games that won't run through wine/proton purely because of DRM or anti cheat technologies but with EAC this will affect linux-native, too. Dangerous potential there. Hackers might flock to linux where in which the platform will be viewed negatively by the community and the game itself might drop support for it (an easy decision from a publisher perspective) as a nuke option for the mess. :(

Edit: Actually not worth it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,296 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

oneangrygamer
    8ch's v
    TheQuartering

To flag for anyone looking for new gaming news sites, sites such as the above are blatantly agenda driven websites that are far more politically motivated and 'bias' than any mainstream outlet you will stumble across. Approach with extreme caution (IMO just don't approach at all because they're reactionary ****e, but that's just me).

I remember that time when gaming was all about having fun...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,607 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Cordell wrote: »
    I remember that time when gaming was all about having fun...

It’s a serious business

Apparently too serious for some. Political statements and agendas have no place in gaming, either way may they be leaning.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

I get most of my gaming news from Inside Gaming on YT, or here in the thread.
    I don't mind some developer news articles, like if it relates to the game itself. Maybe something about new technologies in use and stuff like that.

As for developer X gave into cause Y and this triggers snowflake Z, I couldn't give a flying fcuk about it!
    It's the "celeb" culture style stories that have seeped into gaming news into the last few years.
    I hate celeb culture! It's a fcuking cancer :mad:

Easy enough to avoid, thankfully :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,527 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Speaking of news sites.

No more waypoint, or kinda.

Bunch of vice sites got restructured/reabsorbed back into vice proper

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Kotaku is the best 'news' site these days and actually produces some really good investigative stuff. Most other places are pretty much just either massively rumour and speculative based or just rehash press releases. Eurogamer is generally decent and their Digital Foundry stuff is great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭chalkitdown1

Apparently too serious for some. Political statements and agendas have no place in gaming, either way may they be leaning.

They have as much a place as they do in any other entertainment medium, be it films, tv, music etc.

What makes videogames so special that they should be exempt from their developers expressing their views through their creative work? :confused:

Some games can be "just fun" and others can have deeper meaning, same as any other medium. Absoltuely nothing wrong with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭Yermande

Political statements and agendas have no place in gaming, either way may they be leaning.

It's only Monday morning and I've already read the stupidest thing on the internet this week.

Do us all a favour and go back and play Pong for the remainder of your life. The rest of us will get on with enjoying a medium that has entered its maturity.

Edit: it's Tuesday morning but it's still stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,683 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Kotaku is the best 'news' site these days and actually produces some really good investigative stuff. Most other places are pretty much just either massively rumour and speculative based or just rehash press releases. Eurogamer is generally decent and their Digital Foundry stuff is great.

Kotaku do have their odd wtf pieces like yesterday, an article about the noise Japanese people make when slurping noodles was upsetting tourists :pac:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,301 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

I don't really get this viewpoint. Why do they have no place in gaming? If someone wants to make a game with a political statement, why shouldn't they? If someone wants to interpret that message, why shouldn't they write about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Grand so. Say goodbye to every single game except driving games and sports games.

They have as much a place as they do in any other entertainment medium, be it films, tv, music etc.

What makes videogames so special that they should be exempt from their developers expressing their views through their creative work? :confused:

Some games can be "just fun" and others can have deeper meaning, same as any other medium. Absoltuely nothing wrong with it.

Agreed.

I'd love to see a list of the OP's Top 10 games.

The first expressly political game I played was Metal Gear Solid on the PS1, which was released over 20 years ago.

I do enjoy gaming, thank you very much for your kind advice. What I don't enjoy is bitter salty people who throw their toys out of their prams the second they see something that doesn't align with their views. The ones that forgot to enjoy gaming.

I do enjoy gaming, thank you very much for your kind advice. What I don't enjoy is bitter salty people who throw their toys out of their prams the second they see something that doesn't align with their views. The ones that forgot to enjoy gaming.

That's a different matter entirely.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,296 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

If anything, the cowardice of some big budget games when it comes to saying anything remotely political or confrontational is one of the things keeping the medium back. Ubisoft are bloody terrible for this - making games in politically-loaded environments (Far Cry 5, The Division 2) and then miserably reticent to engage with them. They deserve to be heavily critiqued and mocked for it.

Games should have far more politics and themes and real-world resonances, not less. Thankfully going by what’s happening in the indie space, we’re heading in the right direction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭chalkitdown1

Yermande wrote: »
    It's only Monday morning and I've already read the stupidest thing on the internet this week.

Do us all a favour and go back and play Pong for the remainder of your life. The rest of us will get on with enjoying a medium that has entered its maturity.

The greatest thing about what he said is that it is in itself an inherently political and agenda driven statement. To be apolitical is political.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement