Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming News

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,527 ✭✭✭✭Varik

For Claptrap it said in the article he's not a VA, he was a VP of the company and did it on the side. He works for Rooster teeth now, and I'd say even on the high side a VA rate is lower than what a VP would be willing to work for.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Speed Freaks was the best Kart Racer.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

J Mysterio wrote: »

Naaaah. I mean we all had a soft spot for it because it was made in Ireland and what not, but it was strictly C-Tier.

Wai-Wai Racing on the GBA on the other hand.....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,122 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Speed Freaks was better than ctr though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

ogsjw wrote: »
    Rocket League is getting review bombed just as Borderlands did because of Epic's shenanigans.

https://www.pcgamer.com/rocket-league-is-getting-review-bombed-because-epic-bought-psyonix/?utm_content=buffer18db7&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter&utm_campaign=buffer-pcgamertw

Generally I don't approve of disingenuous review bombing (I don't like XXX content but I'm saying the gameplay is bad) but this is a legitimate grievance and people are being honest about why they're posting a negative review... I think there's an argument for and against this.

Really? I see it is as childish whinging personally. There's no case for or against here; the reviews should be a review of the game, if its good or if its bad.

Imagine a "professional" reviewer came out with an Apex Legends review of "Its not on Steam, **** game, dont waste your time!" would be laughed at for being petulant and childish!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Speed Freaks was better than ctr though.

I think we've established by now that there has never been or ever will be a good Crash game.

Even the Simpson's rip-off of, Dash Dingo is better.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Hmmm, 10 million sales for the N'Sane Trilogy across all platforms would say otherwise... Plus over 40 million total sales since original release. I get that some people don't like the Crash games, but I remember loving them back in the day. Have only had a few goes of the N'Sane Trilogy, and it seems as enjoyable (and frustrating) as it was back then. Also one of the few western games (2 & 3) which were a blockbuster success in the Japanese market.

Oh, oh, wait. I know the answer to when someone says a game is crap because they didn't like it; git gud! :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,122 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Hmmm, 10 million sales for the N'Sane Trilogy across all platforms would say otherwise... Plus over 40 million total sales since original release. I get that some people don't like the Crash games, but I remember loving them back in the day. Have only had a few goes of the N'Sane Trilogy, and it seems as enjoyable (and frustrating) as it was back then. Also one of the few western games (2 & 3) which were a blockbuster success in the Japanese market.

Oh, oh, wait. I know the answer to when someone says a game is crap because they didn't like it; git gud! :pac:

Just because something is popular doesn't mean it's good. Coldplay are popular.

I don't think Crash is utterly terrible but it's a c tier platformer with the sequels being b tier. Even at release they were regarded that way and are only remembered as classics because they were the only popular platformers on the PS1. There were far better platformers on that system.

I would never call them bad though. They are good and worth playing although the original isn't the best really.

As for NSane Trilogy selling 10 million, well it deserves it. Dodgy physics aside it's a great remake of 3 good games and the bugged price made it a bargain.

But if someone wants to argue that they are up there with sonic and Mario they better be ready to be offended when I point and laugh at them.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    But if someone wants to argue that they are up there with sonic and Mario they better be ready to be offended when I point and laugh at them.

I was with you until you mentioned Sonic... I would 100% put Crash, and a lot of other c-tier games ahead of hold right and jump.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,884 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

J Mysterio wrote: »

That's a name I haven't heard in a long, long time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,704 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I was with you until you mentioned Sonic... I would 100% put Crash, and a lot of other c-tier games ahead of hold right and jump.

I'm not the biggest Sonic fan, but if you play any of the mainline Sonic games like that, frankly you're playing them wrong.

Think the better sonic games are much more than that. I'd play sonic 2, 3 knuckles and the better master system games well before a Crash game. Crash games really run out of ideas fast and repeat sections and then just turn into dick move simulators towards the end.

Sonic is more about exploration and replay ability as it's fun to discover new routes through levels. Crash only has the gem system which is really badly Implemented.

I do think Sonic 1 is a bit rough and the evangelising of Sonic CD now I find odd as I think it's a really poor game.

Now let's start looking for Tomba and Klonoa remakes, much better games than crash. Klonoa did get a Wii remake which flopped hard unfortunately.

That's probably where it went wrong for me so. I only ever played the first Sonic, and I was so disappointed by it, I never even tried the rest. Just didn't appeal to me like Mario, and subsequently Crash, Spyro and other platformers from back then up to PS1 days.

If they're remaking anything, I wish they would remake The Mark of Kri. Amazing game imo. Actually, I wish they'd remake the Legacy of Kain series, and that may happen now that TR is finished it's current trilogy. Although with her now involved in starting a small company aimed towards VR stuff, I fear it may never happen...

Well I'd recommend you try sonic 2 and sonic 3 and knuckles. If you don't like them then you don't like sonic. They're vastly superior to the original.

• Site Banned Posts: 328 ✭✭ogsjw

No, most people read a game news thread and want to read about games news. Start a thread about developer news if you have to.

Developer news is gaming news, best wrap your head around that. It's irrelevant that you don't want to read it. Human beings spend years and sacrifice their happiness and health to placate you with games. They deal with serious issues and deserve to have those issues raised by the people who enjoy their hard work. You deal with that. It's also far more on-topic than chatting about which Sonic is best.

Sonic 2 is the best 2D Sonic game y'all. Knuckles in Sonic 2 on the DS is some nonsense though; Knuckles doesn't jump high enough to realistically beat the last boss. Still can't beat him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Sonic is alright but shouldn't ever be mentioned in the same sentence as Mario

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

ogsjw wrote: »
    Developer news is gaming news, best wrap your head around that. It's irrelevant that you don't want to read it. Human beings spend years and sacrifice their happiness and health to placate you with games. They deal with serious issues and deserve to have those issues raised by the people who enjoy their hard work. You deal with that. It's also far more on-topic than chatting about which Sonic is best.

Not really at all unless you work in the industry, it's not relevant. I'm more interested in what the Valve games will be on the Index when it comes out, not if a developer has gender neutral bathroom or not.

• Site Banned Posts: 328 ✭✭ogsjw

Not really at all unless you work in the industry, it's not relevant.

Incorrect. You personally aren't interested, sure. But I don't care what you're interested in. Just like if someone posts about sports games or racing games, I might not be interested, but nobody is going to have to call a waaaaaaambulance for me because I get so triggered I whine about it for several pages. I would just stay quiet.
    I'm more interested in what the Valve games will be on the Index when it comes out

No one cares. Just like no one cares that what I am most interested in hearing about is the new Switch revision.
    not if a developer has gender neutral bathroom or not.

I'm shocked to hear such completely unprompted bigotry coming from you, I don't think anyone could have seen that twist coming. Certainly not me, you seem like a very reasonable and intelligent fella.

Tell me, would hearing about the other side of the gaming fence be more acceptable for you if I only posted stories about poor, victimized, straight, white, male developers? I can try, just for you, if you want :pac:

Kindly stop posting off-topic. Some self-control will be important here, as moderation in this regard is not only non-existent, but encouraged. 'Sonic 2 is good' constitutes as 'Gaming News' in 2019 apparently :pac:

News is coming out that Blizzcon requires a ridiculously intrusive app if you plan to attend, that phishes people for literally every bit of personal detail, down to their credit card number and even the security code on the back???

https://www.reddit.com/r/wow/comments/bkd5ew/you_need_to_have_a_phone_to_attend_blizzcon_this/emg38xv/

Great look for Blizzard after the last go-round. Making sure everyone 'has a phone' ready for Diablo? :pac:

You need help mate.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,296 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Mod note Enough of this, Jericholic and ogsjw. Take it to PM. Any more of this silly bickering and we’ll issue bans.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

I think he has being banned. People are strange. Anyway playing some old school arcade games yesterday. Oh how I missed fighting the steering wheel playing Daytona. Outrun cab that moves was great fun too. I miss arcades

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,568 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

RasTa wrote: »
    I think he has being banned. People are strange. Anyway playing some old school arcade games yesterday. Oh how I missed fighting the steering wheel playing Daytona. Outrun cab that moves was great fun too. I miss arcades

It's worth buying a cheap PC compatible force feedback steering wheel and use it with emulators, you can be back playing Daytona, Sega Rally and Outrun in no time.

I think Arcade1UP are bringing out a cab with a wheel and pedals soon. That would be perfect for a little modding.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,568 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I think Arcade1UP are bringing out a cab with a wheel and pedals soon. That would be perfect for a little modding.

The quality of some of their controls, such as the spinner on my Asteroids cab, leaves a lot to be desired.
    I wonder if a steering wheel from them will be any better?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,683 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Polygon posted an MCU film rank list and had Thor 2 better than Infinity War. Then 2 Game of Thrones spoilers this morning so yeah, there on my ban list now. Anyone recommend a GAMING news site to follow on social media that posts interesting news about GAMES? And not in the 'this game is sexist and racist, let's all hate it' articles.

I remember that Irish site The Gaming Liberty was great a few years back. News on releases, updates on games, interviews, competitions. Anything good like that?

https://www.shacknews.com/

Seems to focus on game news only. There's not many left. Obviously Polygon and Kotaku are blacklisted.

https://www.shacknews.com/

Seems to focus on game news only. There's not many left. Obviously Polygon and Kotaku are blacklisted.

Yeah, that's something along the lines I'm looking for thanks. I still follow Kotaku as they come out with some really busy interesting articles and gaming news. Lot of shyte though as well.

Eurogamer isn't bad either. I'm sick of Game of Thrones and Marvel everywhere I look too.

Eurogamer isn't bad either. I'm sick of Game of Thrones and Marvel everywhere I look too.

I have Eurogamer blacklisted a while now. Nothing but negativity and social injustice.

But yeah gaming sites posting pop TV and film news is annoying but gotta get them clicks.

• Advertisement

I don't usually use sites anymore, I find the best news and stuff on https://www.rllmukforum.com/

If anything newsworthy happens it'll be on that.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement