Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alanya, Turkey 2013 - My Euro Dream Odyssey

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭El Director

The physio requested that I spin easy for 30 min and run easy for 15 min. I did just that except only 10 min run. There were no issues as I expected and finally I am actually happy. I don't get that 'catching' feeling from time to time walking down the stairs or when I would turn.

Bike 14km
    Run 2.5km

At physio tonight and he definitely went deeper! God the pain. Anyway back to easy running and biking now but just be cautious, he said to up the time/milage gradually obviously.

It was still a bit tight were it was last week but so long as I do my lunges and squats before every session I should be fine. This injury built up over months and months and crucially it can be avoided so long as I take maintenance work very seriously and warm up (to get the hips and glutes firing) and cool down. I will also schedule a monthly session with Ciaran for a massage.

He also let me try the recovery machine that he and Hessian Swear by. It basically works on the same principle that compression gear works on. I liked it and will definitely use it after big weeks. This is the machine.

Thurs Morn 9th Feb

Stretch/Roll/Core/Weakness

Time 1:20

Milage Comparison 2011 - 2012

9th Feb 2011

Swim: 21,600m
    Bike: 479.6km
    Run: 166.2km

9th Feb 2012

Swim: 43,950m Up 103%
    Bike: 441.1km Down 8%
    Run: 101.9km Down 39%

Very surprised at how far ahead I am of 2011 swim and how little behind I am on the bike and run. Not as bad as I thought :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Very surprised at how far ahead I am of 2011 swim and how little behind I am on the bike and run. Not as bad as I thought :)

And better quality in the work done this year!!

Thurs Eve 9th Feb

Plan 60 min easy turbo
    Actual 60 min easy turbo

Glad to be back logging km's again. This felt grand, no issues with the knee now lets hope this is the start of some uninterrupted trainining.

HR 115(121 for 44 min); CAD 92; Speed 29.5/km;

Time 60min
    Dist 29.5km

Fri Morn 10th Feb

Plan Club Swim Session
    Actual Club Swim Session

Well I had a funny feeling the swim coach would like to see were I am and were I'd like to go...that means only one thing - a TT. And so it was, 400TT.

WU 4x 100sw off 2min
    10x 50k off 1:15 I wasn't making these which is unusual for me but I usually get faster at kick set after a few but only when I get a chance to stretch out the groin, which I didn't I just kept going.
    100sw Easy
    400TT - target was 6:20 (what I thought was my old PB) came in on 6:21PB My old PB was 6:34 on 1/06/11 :)
    300sw Easy
    15x 100sw - as in {descend 1-5} x3 Targets here calculated on my 400TT - 1) 1:45 2) 1:40 3) 1:35 4) 1:30 5) 1:25

Set 1 1:43/1:39/1:35/1:33/1:31
    Set 2 1:39/1:40/1:38/1:38/1:32
    Set 3 1:43/1:43/1:40/1:36/1:33

8x 50k

Time 1:15
    Dist 3,500m

Coach's Comments

The 400TT - The first 200 was in on 3:05 so the second was 3:16 so a big drop off there. I went out fast, too fast.

The 15x 100sw set (des 1 - 5) - here confirmed what the coach thought. I need to be working on my pacing. He observed that I was cruising no. 1, 2 and 3 (and that's how it felt) but when it came to trying to go to 1:30 and 1:25 for no. 4 and 5 I struggled, which I really shouldn't.

So two things he feels I need to work on over the next 6 weeks or so in order to get me swimming faster.

1. Pacing. When doing my 4x 50's des have a target for each 50 and make them.
    2. The thing that will push me through to the next level in his opinion is speed work. Last year I was doing a lot of fast 25's coming in on 16.5/17 sec and this year my fast 50s are barely getting to 40 sec, it doesn't add up. His suggestion - put in some fast 25's in every session instead of fast 50's for a few weeks, get the times down and confidence up. Then go back to fast 50's and bring those down. He believes that I should be able to cruise at 1:30 by summer but to do that I must be able to do these fast sets faster.

A good session once I warmed up and good to get some feedback.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Interesting to see your TT time and your descending targets and splits. These would be very similar to my own. In so far as my last 400TT was almost the exact same time as yours, but I still can't for the life of me get below 1:30 for fast 100s. As part of a set like that or any repeated fast 100s I'm stuck on low 30s and seem to have plateaued at that point. In the meantime, I have brought down the pace that I can maintain throughout a set, to 1:36-38, but my top end speed hasn't improved much no matter how hard I think I'm pushing. I don't think I have the same issues pacing as you seem to have (someone might disagree here!), or at least not to the same extent. My 400TT was a negative split as I deliberately held back from the start, and my most recent set of descending 100s (on 1:45) mostly saw steady decrease from 40 down to 31/32. But we both seem to have the same issue in faster 100s, with this magically wall of 1:30 in the way. If you can hold 1:35 pace for 4 100s back to back logic says that you should be able to go sub 90sec for fast 100s with rest. If you can run a 3:30 kilo then surely 4* 50second 250m should be a formality. Why doesnt it work like that in the water?? :mad:

Edit: Forgot to say well done on the TT pb!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Nice PB dude. Well done.

Regarding BTH and his comments - this happens to me too, but off slower times! ;) I think it's that people try to hard on the harder, faster stuff and form can suffer and it can turn in to a slog fest. Not sure on that though but I think it's the case for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Hey El D, well done on the PB :)

I don't get the 1:25 target? Ok, if your Critical Swim Speed based on your TT result is approx 1:39 then its approx 15 secs under. Thats VO2 max level. You would need a good 2 minutes recovery afterwards. What was your recovery between sets? Where the descending targets purely for testing purposes?

pgibbo wrote: »
    Nice PB dude. Well done.

Regarding BTH and his comments - this happens to me too, but off slower times! ;) I think it's that people try to hard on the harder, faster stuff and form can suffer and it can turn in to a slog fest. Not sure on that though but I think it's the case for me.

I wouldnt be surprised if this were indeed the reason.
    Hey El D, well done on the PB :)

I don't get the 1:25 target? Ok, if your Critical Swim Speed based on your TT result is approx 1:39 then its approx 15 secs under. Thats VO2 max level. You would need a good 2 minutes recovery afterwards. What was your recovery between sets? Where the descending targets purely for testing purposes?

Can I ask how this is calculated?

I wouldnt be surprised if this were indeed the reason.

Can I ask how this is calculated?
    http://www.swimsmooth.com/training.html

If you're good at maths and want to know the CSS calculation, it is:
    CSS (m/sec) = (400 - 200) / (T400 - T200)
    Where T400 and T200 are your 400 and 200m times in seconds. We then convert your speed from m/sec into time per 100m.

I guessed at El D's CSS but using the first 200 of his 400 as the T200 value it would come out at 1:37, usually you do the T200 after the T400 so it may not be the same score as a fresh T200. Kind a like doinga T5 before a T20 on the turbo

• Advertisement

http://www.swimsmooth.com/training.html

If you're good at maths and want to know the CSS calculation, it is:
    CSS (m/sec) = (400 - 200) / (T400 - T200)
    Where T400 and T200 are your 400 and 200m times in seconds. We then convert your speed from m/sec into time per 100m.

I guessed at El D's CSS but using the first 200 of his 400 as the T200 value it would come out at 1:37, usually you do the T200 after the T400 so it may not be the same score as a fresh T200. Kind a like doinga T5 before a T20 on the turbo

@BTH Ya we certainly seem to be in the same place right now and having similar issues. Perhaps we can combine our powers to improve! Lets get researching and share what we find :) We will make an awesome team then in the water at triAthy sprint or Crooked lake :)

@P Gibbo form/tech falling apart as I try too hard is definitely a contributing factor. My stroke/tech feels lovely when cruising along but once I know I have to pick it up I think I tense up a bit around the shoulders ie. exactly what I shouldn't be doing as this shortens your DPS (distance per stroke)

@shotgun thanks for that CSS calculation, can you just clarify:
    CSS (m/sec) = (400 - 200) / (T400 - T200) is that
    = (200)/(381-185)
    = (200)/(196)
    = (1.02) then convert to min/100m = 1:42 not 1:38 - have I done this correctly (sorrty just a stickler when it comes to numbers :o)

Anyway to answer your questions. You are dead right re rest time. Those 100's were off 2 min so not much rest time if chasing 1:25's. He did say that when doing the 25m fast that they should be off plenty of rest alright or indeed when doing any fast stuff. The coach likes to push me and often picks targets that he knows I'll struggle to get like the 1:25, but at least he is pushing. He also metioned that ideally and in his opinion I should be able to get my flat out 100 down to 1:15. That means 1:25 would come alot easier.

Also forgot to mention. I am paying closer attention to what my body is telling me anymore. My left calf was starting to cramp up - early warning sign of something meaning it needs to be tended to. So I rolled and stretched it after instead of ignoring it after the session. Tweaks, cramps, tightness, stiffness - these things should be noted during sessions and addressed after.

Haven't done this in two weeks but here is where I currently am:

Weight 76kg (Down); Body Fat % 10.5 (Down); Muscle Mass 64.7 (Same);

Overall story in graph form of course :)

Weight

picture.php?albumid=1633&pictureid=11949

Body Fat %

picture.php?albumid=1633&pictureid=11948

Muscle Mass

picture.php?albumid=1633&pictureid=11950

That outlier read on 28th of Nov for muscle mass is a head stratcher-must be incorrect :confused: Anyway over all weight and BF down muscle mass the same :)

Fri Eve 10th Feb

Plan 30 min easy run
    Actual 30 min easy run

Got the glutes fired up before heading out for this one via lunges and squats and did some dynamic stretching-my 10 min routine pre every run/bike session.

First proper run in a week and it went well. Really concentrated on form and using my arms more to propel, through my core and into my hips. Keeping shoulders and core and hips stable, kept a slight lean and it all felt very good. Now don't get me wrong I felt fat and sluggish but i was keeping a nice pace for a man thats only ran 100k this year and all easy. My lung capacity feels reduced but that will improve later with the fast stuff to come down the road.

HR 148; PACE 4:33/km;

TIME 29:40
    DIST 6.51km

Rolling/Stretching after+before

Time 30min

[QUOTE=El Director;77015256
    @shotgun thanks for that CSS calculation, can you just clarify:
    CSS (m/sec) = (400 - 200) / (T400 - T200) is that
    = (200)/(381-185)
    = (200)/(196)
    = (1.02) then convert to min/100m = 1:42 not 1:38 - have I done this correctly (sorrty just a stickler when it comes to numbers :o)
    .[/QUOTE]

Ah yes you are right. I was multitasking poorly :o

I was just trying to understand if those descending sets of 100s were for testing purposes to see where your stroke broke down etc...

If 1:42 is your CSS then like the cycling, you have a swimming sweet spot just below this that will give you most back for time invested. Of course the main difference is that on the bike you can 'simply' press onto that extra gear but in the water your technique and form has to hold for you to gain speed for additional effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Going back to your post from yesterday about your coach suggesting some fast 25s makes me think of the hypoxic training we would do for maximizing our use of oxygen. Pay attention to the number of breaths you take on these 25s - try to take as few as possible while keeping good form (body high in the water, fast kick, healthy stroke turnover)....push it just a bit....our goal was always to get through one entire length with only one or none . This technique helped me in the speed department.

@Dory Dory I will keep that in mind for sure, it's actually what I try to do anyway. My swimming has improved and it is still so encouraging to see more room for improvement.

It's off to swim school on Tuesday morning to have my stroke analysed. Had it done last year and it certainly helped me.

BTH bought his new wetsuit yesterday and I then decided to stop putting off what I'd been putting off for the last few weeks...try on the very expensive wetsuit I got (present) last year when I was 10kg heavier :o Will it still fit?? This wetsuit was to do me for years and years, plus I love it, it's a super suit. Eanna (from B2R) had told me last year that because of the material it will hug to the body even if there is weight loss, but would 10kg be pushing it?? In a word, no :) It was snugg, nice and tight in all the right places :) so happy days, no forking out for a new suit.

Sat 11th Feb

Plan 60 min easy spin
    Actual 60 min easy spin

Dusted off the TT this morning and took it out for the first time in 4 months. A damp, wet but wonderfully bright morning, a pleasure to be out. I am working off RPE for now until I retest so I purposely I took it easy for the first 25 min to ensure my knee was ok. Then it was onto the tri bars for 20 to see how that felt. It was comfortable and although I felt unfit, fat and sluggish (like yesterday) I felt I could go on for another 2 hours. Alas that was not the plan and I had to be disciplined. So after an hour it was over :(

So after twonpelota said in his log about using cling film to wrap around his cycle shoes to keep his feet warm decided to try that two weeks ago on my freezing cold Sat morn spin, that with 2 pairs of socks and boot covers. Well it definitely was better, my feet were cold but not as cold as usual.

So this morning I decided to try tinfoil! Not as cold this morning though. My feet were so snugg! :) Tinfoil isn't cheap though so it will be newspapers turn next time out :)

picture.php?albumid=1633&pictureid=11959

Good to see you feeling good on the bike again, and well disciplined. I'd have probably kept going.

However, wrapping your shoes in tinfoil?? Seriously?? Remind me never to go on a bike spin with you. That's definitely not in the euro rules!

Good to see you feeling good on the bike again, and well disciplined. I'd have probably kept going.

However, wrapping your shoes in tinfoil?? Seriously?? Remind me never to go on a bike spin with you. That's definitely not in the euro rules!

Now remember I did have boot covers over them ;) also you have to have an experimental type of attitude :)

I hope the covers were euro compliant.

No training to log since Saturday. Just as I'm pretty sure the IT band issue has been resolved a cold decides to hit-first one in over a year. I guess I had a good run of it. Was hoping that this week would be the real start of 2012 especially as its mid term and stuff. Anyway, all training has ceased for a couple of days-usually this + dosing myself with vit C and other stuff sorts me out.

Weekly Summary

06 Feb-12 Feb|# sessions|Time hh:mm|Distance kms
    Total|11|10:25|62.4
    Swimming|3|03:45|9.3
    Cycling|2|01:30|44
    Running|1|00:40:00|9.1
    Strenth/Core|5|04:30|N/A

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Redmond101

How's the training going?

@Redmond Sorry dude only saw your comment now! Pls see below for your answer.

Had a decent post written but lost it :mad: Not going at it again. Basically needed time away to clear my head as it was wrecked. Take stock, consolidate, become smarter :) and try to get a steady two weeks of training under the belt, which I did. ITB seems to have finally loosened out. Head in a better place now, sometimes stepping back helps you go forward. Lets hope. Summary of the last two weeks below.

20 Feb-26 Feb|# sessions|Time hh:mm|Distance kms
    Total|15|11:50|94.1
    Swimming|3|03:10|8.1
    Cycling|2|02:00|55
    Running|4|02:20|31
    Strenth/Core|6|04:20|N/A

27 Feb-4 Mar|# sessions|Time hh:mm|Distance kms
    Total|17|15:15|185
    Swimming|3|03:10|9
    Cycling|3|05:10|143.5
    Running|4|02:30|32.5
    Strenth/Core|7|04:25|N/A

Run's were done 98% easy, mainly 30 min or so. So thats it, I'm back and hopefully I'm wiser, already March :o won't find till Athy/Crooked Lake now.

Mon Morn 5th Mar

Plan Coach Prescribed Session

Overall felt tired this morning and not really up for it but by the time I landed on the pool deck I was actually looking forward to it. Did 30 min of stretches and rolling first.

4x50 des 1-4 on 60: 49, 50, 46, 44
    F’ed up the first two, the last one felt faster but the numbers don’t lie.
    7x100 steady on 2:00: 1:41, 1:42, 1:39, 1:39. 1:40, 1:42, 1:41
    Paced these well I think, any faster on the first 3 and I would probably have struggled to hold the same pace.

10x50 alt fast/easy on 60, the fast 50’s: 42, 43, 43, 43, 44
    Pretty happy with those

Time 1:10
    Dist 2,500m

Stretches/rolling

Time 30min

Here's to another good week. Thinking of ditching the Paddy weekend 5k now as it won't be what I thought it'd be (sub 18) but more because I need the weekend to do my long bike and run after the interuption of the last few weeks. Also Linda would love to hit Galway that weekend so thats what we'll do :)

Welcome back dude. Gald to hear things are looking up! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Your annual crack at Geraghty and O Dowd has been confirmed for July 8th, would have perferred it as a blow out before Kilkee myself but needs must. I suppose we have to get ready for an unseasonable day of driving rain and wind as per usual

catweazle wrote: »
    Your annual crack at Geraghty and O Dowd has been confirmed for July 8th, would have perferred it as a blow out before Kilkee myself but needs must. I suppose we have to get ready for an unseasonable day of driving rain and wind as per usual

Damn it! I have a bloody stag that weekend in Scotland :mad: I like that course too. I have done it every year since it started and without fail the weather has been truely awful! Will you do it yourself CW?

Mon Eve 5th Mar

Plan 40 min Easy Run With 5x 30sec Build

A lovely evening out and felt pretty good through out. A 50min run followed by a 40 the next day with no problems is a good sign. Quads felt a bit heavy towards the end though but delighted if I'm being honest. So it was 5x 30 sec build and 30sec recovery.

picture.php?albumid=1633&pictureid=12133

HR 152, PACE 4:28/km, DIST 8.66km, TIME 38:43

I wouldn't be surprised if the 2 lads are going to do Cong in May. It's very close for both of them.

Good news on the running :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Damn it! I have a bloody stag that weekend in Scotland :mad: I like that course too. I have done it every year since it started and without fail the weather has been truely awful! Will you do it yourself CW?

Ya planning to take our American friend Dory Dory to school at that one :D
    (although god help me if her bike is as good as her swim and run, I think she will win it if Anna Crooks stays away)

catweazle wrote: »
    Ya planning to take our American friend Dory Dory to school at that one :D
    (although god help me if her bike is as good as her swim and run, I think she will win it if Anna Crooks stays away)

How much is it this year? The price has put me off in the past

• Advertisement

Well last year Seb got a special for boardies, 30 Eur if I remember rightly. That Cong duathlon is same weekend as Valentia-one of only two tri's I've entered yet.

So DD is doing the Galway one, a great time to be coming to Galway, the Volvo Ocean race finishes there that weekend, Galway Arts festival and Race week just around the corner! Ah...Galway in the summer time :)

Advertisement