Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alanya, Turkey 2013 - My Euro Dream Odyssey

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭El Director

Weds Eve 18th Jan

Plan 60 min easy turbo
    Actual 60 min easy turbo

Took 15 min easy to WU and ease into it, just being cautious. then for 40 minutes I got into my easy zone, brought my HR up and was feeling good :) .

HR 115(125 for the last 45 min) CAD 91; WATT 198

Time 60 min
    Dist 28.1km

Thurs Morn 19th Jan

Plan Weakness/Roll/Stretch/Core
    Actual Weakness/Roll/Stretch/Core

Time 1:20

Thurs Eve 19th Jan

Plan 30 min easy run
    Actual 30 min easy run

So like all runs AND bike sessions this week I eased into it. I planned not to take any notice of the HR until the last 15min when I would try to get into Z2. However by not noticing the HR I was already in z2 after 5 min and just continued. Still feel unfit but good news that I could keep up this pace for 25 of the 30 minutes.

HR 146; PACE 4:41/km;
    For the last 17min HR 150; PACE 4:41/km

Time 31:16
    Dist 6.7km

Fri Morn 20th Jan

Plan Club Swim
    Actual Club Swim

The session:
    6x 100 as in alt 100sw/100bc;
    600sw x1 off 12 easy came on 11:10(ish)
    400sw x1 off 7:30 steady came in on 7min;
    200sw x2 steady off 3:45 coming in on 3:25 for both;
    100sw x4 mod-hard came in on 1:34/1:35/1:34/1:34;
    12x 50sw as in easy 50/hard 50 alt off 1:15, the target was to keep the fast 50's between 45-47 sec. The hard ones were all between 43-45 sec.
    Then 200 CD alt sw/bc.

The coach noted that I drop my left shoulder too much (I breathe from the right) before getting in the catch position. So it's catch first then pull, not push down, then catch and pull. Also he noted my hands come out of the water little finger first instead of full palm first. So I must remember to rub my thumb off my hip as it exits the water. As 750m is my A distance swim for June I'd love to be holding 1:35/100 which he reckons is totally possible but I'd need to be averaging 10k a week from mid Feb. As it is I'm averaging about 8-8.5k so I guess thats not much of an ask really. Enjoyed the session :)

Dist 3,300m

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

.... As 750m is my A distance swim for June I'd love to be holding 1:35/100 which he reckons is totally possible but I'd need to be averaging 10k a week from mid Feb.

Whats 10k a week got to do with swimming a fast 750?

• Advertisement

I've asked my coach's opinion on this after the mornings session so I'll get back to you.

From my own experience though I most definitely got fast towards the end of the summer 2011 when I was averaging near and above 10k but I think that that was due to being in the pool 5 times a week so it was spread out and therefore I wasn't doing too many sets in a state of tiredness, it was more quality. I got faster over shorter distances as well as the longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

I would have thought the same. Much more likely to hit your target off a great 8k a week than doing an extra 2k for the sake of it. Plus, how much will you gain from that extra 1 hour work? 1-2sec per 100? 15 sec on a 750m swim? An extra hour on the bike a week and you'll save that.

In saying that, your coach sees you swimming more than any of us do so what do we know!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,086 ✭✭✭Bambaata

I think more sessions a week as opposed to longer sessions should definitely help if the time can be put too it. I think the biggest reason my running came on last year was down to the increased amount of sessions. I had traditionally only done 3 a week but the 4th really helped

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭interested

I've been hesitant to join in here but ... ;) tis a Friday and I'm feeling a little better after being sick for some time. Apologies, its long winded below - but the bottom line is

10, 20, 30, 40 or 50k a week in a pool won't always necessarily make you a faster swimmer but if doing the right sets it should contribute to your swimming endurance and ability to hold a desired pace over 750m - in a pool - and may help you swim faster in OW - if some tri courses were laned ;)

Things to bear in mind
    a) El D's swim coach he's referring to has done quite alot in terms of swimming from his own point of view. He tied for 1st place in the OW league in 2010 and has a lifetime experience of swimming and coaching to bring to the table. He definitely didnt achieve those results but having the best swim stroke or even being the fastest swimmer but he knows more about OW swimming than most. That said he doesn't know a whole lot about triathlon.

b) To a *point* the more sessions you do in the pool, and here's the kick in the n*ts, doing the right thing - the more improvement you should see in your times when swimming in a pool. Translating that to the ow does require you to invest time swimming in OW (Mcos, BTH are just two examples I'm aware of that did at least one OW session a week last summer in addition to regular pool swimming). BUT, as BTH rightly points out - there comes a point where you need to remember whether you want to become a faster triathlete or a faster swimmer. The extra sessions, dealing with the extra fatigue each week impacts biking and running - where's your limiters for overall triathlon improvement - for many it *is* swimming but - that said - if I go 2 or 5 or 10 minutes faster than BTH at Kilkee in the swim it still doesn't guarantee I'll be in the queue for a massage at the finish before him ;)

c) Doing distance in the pool for the sake of doing distance in the pool (and arguably the bike and run) may not necessarily make you a faster triathlete. A tonne of people on here are being coached and Id have no hesitation saying that all of your coaches talk about quality sessions throughout a week or training period that should be done (in addition to your base work).

Knowing the individual that El D is referring to Ive no hesitation in saying that its 10k + of quality swim sets and sessions that would help achieve holding 1.35/100 for a 750. There's loads of posters on here from what I can tell that are swimming that already per week - but whether they see a sub 12 min 750 swim soon remains to be seen.

Anyhow. Clearly I should lay off the coffee again ;) Enjoy the weekend.
    BTW El D, from where I was (attempting to breath) your stroke does look alot better and is testament to your own work and efforts in addition to those keeping an eye on it. The swim endurance is there for the taking but it will only come with the right sets - from what Ive read of your tri coaches sets and what I know of the team you're in good hands imho.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

@interested: Great to hear your health is improving dude. Sage words as ever! Nice to have you posting again! :cool:

• Advertisement

Thanks for the reponses lads.

@BTH Ya you are quite right, actually I have AT LEAST 15 sec in Each transition to shave off this season. Never practised them but I will this year as I want to be a well oiled machined ;) Next year though I will want that 15 sec off the swim and more.

@Bam 100% agree about the frequency of swimming as opposed to longer swim sets.

@interested great and detailed answer, thank you dude. Of course you have the inside scoop here and you are right about the swim coach in what you say. Good points made and at the end of the day it is about being a faster triathlete and a balance of everything.

In saying that the swim is important I feel as I want to be in a race at the top end when I get out and not giving 2 min head starts to guys who are decent TT'ers as well.

Sat 22nd Jan

Plan 40 min easy run
    Actual 40 min easy run

The comeback continues and with 3x 30min and 1x 40min easy runs under my belt and loads and loads of stretching and rolling - it's looking pretty good. Again no issues thank god with knee. Due to bad planning I went hours yesterday not eating and so at 9:30 had no choice only fish and chips...that is ok from time to time I guess (been very good at planning the last 2 months) but I ate a tonne! Therefore very sluggish this morning. Because of that and the hilly route I picked I just went on RPE so HR and pace not what it should be. No harm because it was hilly and I'm still being cautious.

HR 133; PACE 5:09/km; CAD 81;

Time 40:07
    Dist 7.81km

Wasn't going to mention it here but....I had quite a 'movement' this morning. I don't know if I'm alone on this but have you ever wondered how much you drop in the pre-race no. 2? How much lighter it makes you? Well I have :) This morning I measured it, before and after. A whopping 0.3kg's (300g)! :o Almost a 'turd' of a kg :pac: That 'sh!t' adds up on a long run/bike on a hilly course! IMO this is significant :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Boards.ie needs an alternative to the thumbs up button.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

Sat 22nd Jan

Wasn't going to mention it here but....I had quite a 'movement' this morning. I don't know if I'm alone on this but have you ever wondered how much you drop in the pre-race no. 2? How much lighter it makes you? Well I have :) This morning I measured it, before and after. A whopping 0.3kg's (300g)! :o Almost a 'turd' of a kg :pac: That 'sh!t' adds up on a long run/bike on a hilly course! IMO this is significant :)

My first day reading your log :eek: !!!

Bally8 wrote: »
    My first day reading your log :eek: !!!

LOL :pac::pac: welcome to the mad house! I hope it hasn't put you off too much!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

Ha ha not at all - I've learned very quickly that there is no place for bashfullness in the world of triathlon:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Seriously man i laughed my ass off. I now have visions of you turning up to some races full of laxatives and making a mad dash to the portaloo before the start of a race, all for those precious few seconds:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,779 ✭✭✭griffin100

Ha ha. It's like all those 'contestants' on the TV programmes like The Biggest Looser and Operation Transformation who loose 1lb in a week.........1lb? For me that's a good sh1te, blowing my nose and having a shave :) Good stuff ElD.

Sun Jan 22nd

Plan 2.5hr easy spin
    Actual 2.5hr easy spin

It was back on the turbo again for this one. So I went easy except for some steady efforts (5 steady/5 easy/10 steady/5 easy/15 steady/5 easy) X 2, with 15 easy between sets. Love turbo work, when out on the road you don't get to see the sweat, nor does it burn your eyes. Legs/knees felt good. My strongest discipline the last two years and finally I can say I feel like I'm coming back to myself in the saddle (bike that is ;)). Bike test later this week will tell the tale, must make sure that I have the exact same conditions as the one I did in Oct/Nov, also I am determined to be falling off the bike as there are Q marks re my ability to hurt on the bike :o

HR/U] 123; Speed 28.3km/hr; Cad 91

Time 2.5hrs
    Dist 70.9km

Base 3 - Week 2 Summary

16 Jan-22 Jan|# sessions|Time hh:mm|Distance kms
    Total|14|13:12|159.2
    Swimming|3|03:25|8.6
    Cycling|3|04:30|129.6
    Running|3|01:42:26|21
    Strenth/Core|5|03:35|N/A

Again a good week put down in terms of hours. Got through 4 runs with no issues. I think if I have one more week like this, cautious, then my running confidence will begin to build again ahead of my season opener in Mayo on Feb 18th. It's mad that I feel so unfit but yet the weight and body comp has kept on track, won't be long until I see 75.xkg on the scales for the first time since I was a teen I guess. If someone had said that to me this time last year I'd have said that they were mental :rolleyes:

Mon Morn 23rd Jan

PLan NAC LC Coach Prescribed Session
    Actual NAC LC Coach Prescribed Session

50 des: 53/52/48/43
    50 fast: 44/43/43/45

Then it was 10x 100 PT/SW alternating.

For the first time in a while my diet was crap at the weekend and therefore woke up feeling tired and crappy. Thought the session wouldn't go well but once I got going it wasn't too bad and I felt strong, I was glad it was a short session though :)

Time 50min
    Dist 2,200m

Stretch/Rolling/Weakness

Time 25min

• Advertisement

Mon Eve 23rd Jan

Plan 30 min easy
    Actual 30 min easy

What a lovely Spring evening! Delighted to be out there. Delighted to hold 4:25/km in the lower end of easy zone and my cad was slightly up more than usual. Actually these 2/3 weeks of easy running has really had me focus on form and tech and I just think I am forcing myself to run more efficiently. Running 'taller' with hips up and forward and a nice rhythmic arm movement this evening. Must try and keep this in mind from now on...."taller, hips, arms"

HR 145; PACE 4:25/km; CAD 81.7

Time 29:56
    Dist 6.8km

Body Comp Watch

Weight

picture.php?albumid=1633&pictureid=11767

So back on a downward trend this week although it should be be after a weekend of sh!t eating, haven't done that in a while :rolleyes:

Body Fat %

picture.php?albumid=1633&pictureid=11768

Muscle Mass

picture.php?albumid=1633&pictureid=11766

As I approach TriAthy I want this trend to continue up.

Tues Morn 24th Jan

Plan Weakness/Core/Rolling/Stretch
    Actual Weakness/Core/Rolling/Stretch

Tues Eve 24th Jan

Plan 1 hr Easy Turbo >90rpm
    Actual 1 hr Easy Turbo >90rpm

Really got stuck into this after 10 min of 100rpm, my HR was actual between 127-133 (high end of Z2) for the last 50. So continuing on from Sunday's long turbo, feeling strong and looking forward to quantifying where I am in my T30 this week.

HR 124; WATT 215; SPEED 30.3km/h; CAD 92

Time 1hr
    Dist 30.3km

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Good luck with the testing this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

do you still do the T5 before the T30?

@shotgun well it's the exact same as the one before christmas, WU with some build in it and then a straight 30 min test...looking forward to it :)

Weds Eve 25th Jan

Plan 30 min easy run with 5x 20 fast/40 rec
    Actual 30 min easy run with 5x 20 fast/40 rec

Lashing rain, windy and cold but sure 'twas grand once you got out in it...like we have a choice here in Ire :) Felt really good out there today, first time in 3 weeks or so to do fast stuff and enjoyed getting my HR above 155, 172 being the max. Tried to keep a nice fresh cadence. No issues still with the knee so with proper management of it I should be ok now to push on. 50 min run at the weekend will tell me more I suspect.

HR 147/172; PACE 4:35/km; CAD 81.7;

TIME 29:50
    DIST 6.5km

Thur Morn 26th Jan

Core/Rolling/Stretch/Weakness

Time 1:10

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Nice to hear you're running without issues.

Enjoy the T30 tonight! :D

Forgot Weds morn swim session! :rolleyes:

Wed Morn 25th Jan

Plan NAC LC: Coach Prescribed
    Actual NAC LC: Coach Prescribed

As I made my way to the pool, later than normal as I took an extra hoour in bed because I was awake from 3:30, a thought came into my head, @I wonder is BetterThanH going to be swimming this morning, if not I may over take him into 3rd on the swim...' God, since when did I become so competitive about km's and m's covered :o Anyway, first person I saw was BTH as he finished his 3k session :) You gotta be up early if you want to make an impression on this world!

The session:

6x 50 des: 53/50/49/45/44/45;
    Main Set, {150p steady/150sw mod-hard/3x 50 fast} x 4
    Set 1: 2:36/2:31/0:45/0:46/0:45;
    Set 2: 2:32/2:30/0:46/0:47/0:46;
    Set 3: 2:35/2:34/0:47/0:47/0:46;
    Set 4: 2:37/2:37/0:49/0:47/0:47.

Set 4 was difficult, felt like swimming through mud, but I love these sessions :) The fast 50's, and there were 15 of them, went from 44 down to 47/9. As I got tired I had a good chat to myself saying "Com 'on this is when I cannot let my tech go to sh!t, engage my core more and keep good yech" or something to that effect :) And it worked, core engaged and despite feeling tired my form came back to me...not as good as early in the session but it had started to fall apart completely and this stopped that from happening.

Time 1:10
    Dist 3200m

Thurs Eve 26th Jan

Plan T30 Bike Test
    Actual T30 Bike Test

Well this evening/afternoon I found myself staring a T30 right in the face. Turbo set up and music all set (specific FTP playist on my iPod :)) I was determined to be falling off the machine by the end and really get my HR up there. For the last 8 min my HR was 167+ which is very high for me on the turbo! The last time I did it was Oct 31st, here were the results:

30 min test CALIB to '0'; Slope set to '+1', tyre pressure 120

Watt Ave 327
    Cad Ave 91
    HR Ave 143 (149 for last 20min)
    Speed Ave 44km/h
    Dist 22km

So followed the same routine again today and here are the results:

30 min test CALIB to '0'; Slope set to '+1', tyre pressure

Watt Ave 334
    Cad Ave 97
    HR Ave 162 (168 for last 20min)
    Speed Ave 45km/h
    Dist 22.5km

Everything up! :) HR most importantly as I train with HR not power. Just incase people don't know it's a Tacx Flow trainer so the power readings are a good bit off but so long as I keep it calibrated and like I said its the HR that I/coach is interested in.

Time 50min
    Dist 27.5km

O ya, the title.....that song helped me push myself in the last 4 min to my max HR :)

• Advertisement

Friday Morn 27th Jan

Plan Club Swim Session
    Actual Club Swim Session

Tough session this morning especially after yesterdays T30.

4x 200 as in 100sw/100k, k alternating bc k/fc k.
    8x 50 fast off 1:15 coming in on between 40-42.
    4x 200sw off 3:45 came in on: 3:10/3:10/3:15/3:20. 3:10 represents a new 200 PB, flat out and fresh I should be able to get it v near 3min.
    10x 50k off 1:15 coming in on 60-65sec.
    3x 200k off 5min, made the first then it was 5:05 and 5:20 so I was toast at that point.
    200bc CD.

Dist 3300

Advertisement