Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alanya, Turkey 2013 - My Euro Dream Odyssey

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

He reduced it to 35 for last year, I wasn't going to go back but at that price point I thought it was well worth it. Crap weather again but I thought it was much better ran than the previous year, I always enjoy belting up and down the prom on the run, I love out and back courses I used to be never out of transition before the leaders are finished so its nice to see the improvement on my early days and see the battle for the podium on my way out - takes my mind off the brick

Hope they don't put a Volvo Race premium on it again and go back to 50 euro entry

• Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭El Director

Tues Eve 6th Mar

Turbo Session

The main set after some high cadence and build wrk was:
    6x(6 ride, 2 easy) as 1,4 steady, 2,3,5 6 mod hard.
    A while since I had this intensity in a bike session, welcomed it with open arms :) Enjoyed the session, rep 5 and 6 were felt in the legs for sure but I did push through no problem. I am still working off RPE but I think I am pacing them right. I feel a re-test isn't far away though :o

HR 123; SPEED 29.7km/hr; WATT 208; CAD 87;

Time 1:18
    Dist 38.5km

Weds Morn 7th Morn

Coach Prescribed Swim Session NAC LC

After a WU and few drills it was;

6x200 alt sw/p on 4:20: 3:20, 3:22, 3:26, 3:27, 3:21, 3:19

4x50 fast on 60: 43, 43, 43, 44

Felt good and enjoyed the session. My mantra these days is HTFU, and so when the going got tough in the 200’s I just dug deep as I could. My fastest times are when I swim without the pull, I think this is because my legs can drag slightly with the pull. The 50’s I was determined to keep them all within a second of each other which I’m glad I did, pity the last wasn’t a 43 as well-that would have been cool!

Overall I feel fitter and even a bit more flexible.

Time 1:10
    Dist 2,500m

Stretches/Rolling

Time 35min

This afternoon I have the first of 3 run analysis/massages sessions with Austin Mooney. My sister got them for me for my birthday and although I know nothing of the guy it won't harm me and I feel a massage would be a good thing. It will be every second Weds for 6 weeks so he will be checking for progress I'm sure.

Weds Eve 7th Mar

Well turned up for the session with Austin Mooney, thought I would be doing the running on a treadmil but he prefers outside which is great because so do I. Problem was it was quite cold and I only came in shorts, had I been told to bring my running tight I would have! But anyway he didn't want to risk it because it would have taken too long to WU and he was going to be asking me to run at various paces. So re-arranged for Friday. So I swapped Fridays session for today. I didn't have me hrm but I did have the garmin, I went more by pace, at this stage I know roughly my ave easy and steady paces. So it was 4:30/km for easy and 4:18/km steady. Felt good, getting fitter and stronger too. I do however feel a tightness on the outside of my right knee, so looking forward to the massage part of the visit to Mooney on Friday. I actually stayed and had a good chat with him for a while, he seems to know all about the ITB so that's good obviously. Another run under the belt.

Time 40min
    DIST 9km

Thurs Morn 8th Mar

Plan 60 min easy turbo

Busy day today that finishes with a P/T meeting so got this in early this morning. Still too dark to go outside but give it another two weeks or so. Felt fine although legs faded a little in the last 10 min, always find in a bit tougher on the trainer.

HR 123; SPEED 29.5/km; CAD 89; WATT 208

Time 60
    DIST 29.5km

• Advertisement

Fri Morn 9th Mar

Plan Club Swim

WU 350sw/150 single arm (left)/150 single arm (right)/4x 100k off 2:30

8x 100sw off 2:00 (PB+7sec) Not having an up to date 100 PB (current 1:31) I decided to try and get in at 1:319(ish), usually I work away in a lane on my own, sometimes hopping into a lane-this morning I was put into a lance for this, times:
    1:27, 1:28, 1:28, 1:29, 1:31, 1:30, 1:29, 1:29

50 easy bc

8x 100sw off 2:00 (same as above) This time I was leading out as they were doing IM, I had forgot had much of a benefit you get from a draft! Straight away times were down a bit.
    1:31, 1:32, 1:32, 1:34, 1:34, 1:33, 1:33, 1:33

After the fith the coach told me I was “snaking” a bit, told me to tighten up the core more, it certainly helped me and I didn’t fall completely apart.

200bc CD

Time 1:15
    Dist 2,950m

Really happy with the session I must say. The coach said the 2 8x 100 PB +7 is good for Vo2 MAX stuff and more of that will bring the 400 time down and therefore my 750 swim time.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

After the fith the coach told me I was “snaking” a bit, told me to tighten up the core more, it certainly helped me and I didn’t fall completely apart.

Snaking is rarely a result of an unengaged core and usual a sign of a problem with your hand entry and catch, or the pull phase of your stroke

tunney wrote: »
    Snaking is rarely a result of an unengaged core and usual a sign of a problem with your hand entry and catch, or the pull phase of your stroke

Thanks Dave PM sent :)

Plan 1hr session with Austin Mooney

Well another failed attempt to get my session with AM in, on my way there and he rang to say he couldn't make it, a bit of a bummer cos when I turned for home.....Friday rush hour. So I only got 30 min easy run in as we travel home on a Friday evening usually. Still at least it was another 30 easy under the belt and better than nothing. Windy out and I can feel a cold coming on.....again, unreal, a whole year without a cold, then two in 3 weeks! Anyway it isn't too bad and not in the chest, I'll try to ensure it keeps that way.

PACE 4:31/km; HR 145; DIST 6.5km; TIME 29:45.

Another big fat 0 weekend to report :mad: after going almos t a year without a cold, not bad for a teacher working in a school of 1100 germ infested teens, I get two colds in three weeks.

I knew it had been coming on since Thursday, woke up Sat morn with aches and just feeling awful in general. Wasn't up for 3.5hrs in the cold, I knew it could have ended in a phone call. I did however think I'd manage the 1hr run planned for Sunday instead, but an e mail to the coach soon put that out of my head: "if you are sick, you're sick. Rest up completely". I knew in my head this to be the right thing to do but still so frustrating, just as I'm getting back into consistent training. This was to be my longest bike of the year and longest run since Jan 1st. But I just need to be real: its March, train and risk being out of action or being only 50% for a week or maybe two or, rest for two days and back at it Monday morning.

Sigh.....patients, patients required.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Mind it. Accept you will have a few days off. I lost the bones of 3 weeks training with a germfest and was fit to pull my hair out. Take some of the advise you emailed me during that onboard ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,779 ✭✭✭griffin100

Don't you mean patience? Glad you're a maths teacher :)

@Giffin100 More out loud sighing....ahhh spelling, my old friend/enemy, will I ever learn? :o

@MCOS thanks dude....just re-read my mail to you, that was good advice, it was like a chat from a 'saner' me :)

Was looking forward all week to this update, where I could say I biked almost 170km and ran almost 40k, alas it wasn't to be. Feel a bit better today at least and a good night sleep should see me in the pool in the morning.

Weekly Summary

05 Feb-11th Mar|# sessions|Time hh:mm|Distance kms
    Total|13|10:21|99.95
    Swimming|3|03:30|7.95
    Cycling|2|02:18|68
    Running|3|01:48|24
    Strenth/Core|5|02:45|N/A

I try to keep the negative comments out of my log as I am a big believer in being responsible for the energy you bring into a room. But it's difficult at times. But I need look no further than a fellow boardsie today - Bambatta, had a crap time of it this time last year, but things turn around and so long as you are committed and consistent and stick out the bad times....good times will follow :) Also my next AAA race is not for another 460 days ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Positives: You trained over 10 hours this week. Thats a good solid week. I only did 6.

It might feel like all doom and gloom, seems we've all been there to an extent over the last month, but there are always positives. Chin Up. At least to don't have to resort to getting rejected on Take Me Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

I'd been holding off on posting a "everything's look good" post this week after a solid few weeks training from you following the IBT injury but to put things in perspective a few days down time isn't going to hurt you.

Positives: You trained over 10 hours this week. Thats a good solid week. I only did 6.

It might feel like all doom and gloom, seems we've all been there to an extent over the last month, but there are always positives. Chin Up. At least to don't have to resort to getting rejected on Take Me Out!

O ya, who was that guy? Linda said she recognised him from tri's.

@couerdelion thanks dude and you are right, a few days down time does not hurt in the slightest, actually help.....those after 2 tough blocks of training!

Ah I know I'll be fine. So long as now to TriAthy I have no more interuptions, and then I have all Summer to prepare for a good tilt at Blacksod in Sept. Still didn't feel 100% this morning so taking today off too, tomorrow though I'd say I'll be fine to resume.

Feeling better now and got on the turbo for an easy 60 yesterday evening

Good to be back at it after 3.5 days of inactivity. It drove me silly as the weather was so nice to be out, anyway feeling fine now. Good to spin the legs

HR 123; CAD 90; WATT 190; Speed 28/km;

Time 60min
    Dist 28km

Stretch/Roll

Time 30min

Weds Morn 14th Mar

Plan Coach prescribed swim (Long Course)

When coach put this session up it made me a bit nervous I'll admit. Usually such a session would be greeted by with a clinched fist, but after the cold and being out of the pool for 5 days I knew this would be tough. The session included:

4x50des 1-4 on 60
    400TT
    100easy
    100 back
    100TT
    100easy
    100back
    50TT

I did my best on the TT’s, hard to know how to feel about them as nearly all my TT’s have been done in short course pool and this was long. Dug deep as I could but I think one can dig deeper the more they actually practise trying to dig…if that makes sense. As the races approach I’m sure that is exactly what I’ll be doing.

50 1-4 des: 48, 47, 45, 44

400TT: 6:36 (1:39/100)

100TT: 1:37

50TT: 0:45

Doing the conversions, for the 400, on various site gives me a 6:15 short course….another a 6:32. With a PB of 6:21 from the 10th of Feb….I’d like to think I’m closer to the 6:15 ☺

Time 50 min
    Dist 2,000m

Stretch/Roll

Time 30min

Weds Eve 14th Mar

Plan Run with steady and mod hard efforts

The session called for:

10 easy
    10 steady
    4x(4 mod hard, 1 easy)
    5 easy

Feels like ages ince I had one of these sessions, before the injury it was definitely these type of run sessions I enjoyed most so I was happy to be doing it :) Also surprised at the ave paces I was able to hold. Coach has told me that I won't have lost as much fitness as I fear and he is proving to be right. It's testament to how he has managed my ITB problem. That's key too....it still has to, and always will have to be managed. Between stretching and getting more flexibility in the hip area and strengthening though it can be managed and made strong. So a very enjyable session on a lovely evening...the layers are coming off which makes running even more enjoyable.

Splits

picture.php?albumid=1633&pictureid=12237

Ok it's been a while since I checked the weight and other metrics, was kinda afraid of what I'd find out :o But it isn't too bad.

Weight

picture.php?albumid=1633&pictureid=12235

Body Fat%

picture.php?albumid=1633&pictureid=12236

Muscle Mass

picture.php?albumid=1633&pictureid=12234

So...

Positives: Weight is down. Even after everything my diet has stayed clean and this is standing to me. For my A races sub 75kg is now realistic :eek: Still find that hard to believe....Athy 2011 - 84.5kg...and I thought that was me being light :o

Negatives: Body Fat up and muscle mass down. So the weight loss is moctly muscle mass..nt ideal but expected I guess. Expected because I've only been doing easy sessions, not anatomical adaptation at all. So I hope to regain the 2kg or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭ray o

What do you use to measure your body fat and muslce mass?

ray o wrote: »
    What do you use to measure your body fat and muslce mass?

Hi Ray it's this one. They are supposed to be fairly accurate:

“A 2007 study published in the journal Clinical Nutrition that compared measurements obtained from a Tanita body-fat scale and DEXA scanning reported a better than 96 percent level of agreement between the two methods (Thomas et al. 2007).” (from Racing Weight by Matt Fitzgerald)

Thurs Morn 15th Mar

As I cannot make tomorrow's club session I did a session this morning. A tough session that was interupted by the S. Korean Olympic Swim Squad :o. After WU and drills and 50 des, I started the main set. The 100's came in on average 1:41 and ranged from 1:35 - 1:45. There was no complete breakdown in stroke and actually set 4 was much better than set 3. Got into a nice rhythm in that set and really concentrated.

Time 1:30
    Dist 3,800m

Reflection Time

Races

My races haven't gone to plan this year as of yet due to the injury:

Races

Races 2012

Jan Sun 15th

Tuam AC 8k

Feb Sat 18th

Ballinrobe Duathlon

Mar Sun 18th

MSB Paddy Weekend 5k

April Sat 21st

Sportsman Duathlon The date changed and does not suit me, instead I will do Ennis Duathlon on Easter Sunday

Ok so what of my objectives then, are they still on track? Realistic still? Here is a reminder of them:

AAA Medium Term Goal:

Alanya, Turkey 2013

2012 A Races:

TriAthy Sprint,
    Crooked Lake
    Blacksod

2012 Objectives:
    Swim
    400mTT sub 6:10
    1,000m TT sub 17

Bike

20k TT sub 29min
    40k TT sub 61min

Run

Run a sub 17:30 5k
    Let 4:20/km be my easy pace

The swim objectives are still on track. Ideally I will get the 400TT before Athy and Crooked Lake. The 1000TT should go well before Blacksod too.

The run objectives, well it will be Dec 1st before I get to attempt a 5k now (Jingle Bells) but I am very confident that sub 17:30 will go. If I am in that shape then, well maybe an easypace of 4:20/km will materilise...there or there abouts. Good to have this goal at the back end of the year to keep me focused.

The problem with the bike goals is when will I get a chace to do stand alone TT? So these may have to go in a tri (sub 29 in Athy? Who knows) My club will be holding a few TT events during the summer so there maybe scope for an attempt or two there if the dates pan out.

The thing about goals/objectives is although I write them down, I rarely speak to anyone about them and they can even be forgotten about for long periods of time. The key is to see them...everyday. So that when training you know what you are building towards. So this is what I did. I laminated them and stuck them where I'd see them most...car visor, mirror as I check myself out, made a couple of book markers too. Already this week I am much more focused and goal oriented.

picture.php?albumid=1633&pictureid=12222

picture.php?albumid=1633&pictureid=12223

picture.php?albumid=1633&pictureid=12224

Kit Updates

I am on a two year super bike build! I decided to do it this way so as to spread the costs and try to get excellent components, it will actually really take 3 years. This year's items are below.

Saddle - free from a mate, will wait to see how Eddie gets on with his new one and then perhaps....

picture.php?albumid=1633&pictureid=12225

Peddals - Look Keo Carbon Blades, a present, got them at half price from bike 24 (85 EUR)

picture.php?albumid=1633&pictureid=12221

Aerobars - 3T Ventus LTD, Wiggle 920EUR, Bike24 899EUR. I put getting these right out of my head...until I found them, brand new on Ebay with nobody bidding for them, oppertunity knocked and I offered 30EUR over what I had budgeted for them...accepted and arrived on Tuesday :) Delighted. :cool:

picture.php?albumid=1633&pictureid=12220

Sorry about the poor quality pics :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Shave off that beard :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Hi Ray it's this one. They are supposed to be fairly accurate:

“A 2007 study published in the journal Clinical Nutrition that compared measurements obtained from a Tanita body-fat scale and DEXA scanning reported a better than 96 percent level of agreement between the two methods (Thomas et al. 2007).” (from Racing Weight by Matt Fitzgerald)

I have the same scales, do you use athlete mode?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭interested

for the dream bike, make me an offer

BTW What I offered for the bars was 580EUR...bargin city :)

@CW Just for you CW...just for you! Truth is I don't have time for shaving! Busy man.

@mloc ya I use the athlete mode....never checked to see if there is a difference with normal mode, I must, might be interesting.

@interested Nice! Very aero! I think you should suggest them over on shotguns log....keep him between the ditches ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

BTW What I offered for the bars was 580EUR...bargin city :)

@CW Just for you CW...just for you! Truth is I don't have time for shaving! Busy man.

@mloc ya I use the athlete mode....never checked to see if there is a difference with normal mode, I must, might be interesting.

@interested Nice! Very aero! I think you should suggest them over on shotguns log....keep him between the ditches ;)

Yeah, I use athlete mode also. The manual is fairly vague in its definition of an 'athlete', I must check with normal mode myself.

Well it's a week since my last update....but fear not all, I'm not injured or sick :) feels good to say that :cool: So between injury and colds Jan, Feb and half of Mar have been testing times...very testing but a big positive has come out of it. My old "all or nothing" attitude seems to have gone, replaced with a "do what you can" attitude. It's great because now that I have begun to ramp things up things I am not starting from scratch as I would have been say last year.

Here's the update:

Thurs Eve 15th - Bike

As my last test was null and void I am working off a guess of my LTHR of 155. Nice to get back into some BG work actually. Somehow managed to clear the data before I noted it but I stuck to the above for the session. Legs felt it for sure but I'm glad to have that session under the belt.

Fri Eve 16th - Run Analysis/Massage

Went with MR Mooney for this and we went through a warm up routine followed by about 6k of running with strides. His observations: Arms held too high, swinging elbow way to far back therefore, a lot of tention in the shoulders, right leg swinging out, right foot turned out a bit, right glute very very tight....right side is where I had my ITB problem BTW, slapping the ground too much-should be quiter on striking. He then gave me a 30min massage working mainly on the tight tight right glute and the tight shoulders/upper back. Actually sore as it was it really helped.

Sat 17th - Long Bike

Cut this to 2 hours as Linda wanted to get to Galway for St. Pat's day, would have got up early only for I got a taste of what it would be like to have a toddler and a 3 year old screaming since 5am! Anyway, I was glad when this was over because the road surface around Banagher, Birr and Eyrecourt are ****e to say the least....I was totally rattled after. Not enjoyable.

Sun 18th - Long Run

Longest run since before Christmas....got through it fine although I did slow up for the last ten minutes. But the important thing is the ITB was fine. It was like a summers day and I enjoyed it very much.

Weekly Summary

12th Mar - 18th Mar|# sessions|Time hh:mm|Distance kms
    Total|13|11:23|153.63
    Swimming|2|02:20|5.8
    Cycling|3|04:03|115.3
    Running|3|02:30|32.53
    Strenth/Core|5|02:30|N/A

Mon 19th Mar - Long Bike

HR 134; CAD 91; DIST 85k; SPEED 27.8km/hr Not as nice a day as yesterday but still, dry and bright. Enjoyed the spin even though at least half of it was into a stiff headwind. Kept the cadence relatively fresh and I was in the aero position for at least 2.5hrs.

Tues Morn 20th Mar - Swim

Nice easy session after the weekend to get things going. Once again my 100sw were faster than the 100pull...maybe because my kick gives me better body position...or perhaps I am getting some propulsion from the kick, or both. 10x 100 alt sw/p mod hard on 2: 1:32/1:36/1:35/1:36/1:36/1:37/1:36/1:36/1:33/1:36. Thats a significant improvement from just two weeks ago, very pleased. Fast 50's: 42, 43, 43, 43

Tues Eve - Easy Run

PACE 4:31/km; HR 148; Again concentrating on relaxing the arms and shoulders, keeping my bum tucked in and glutes loose. At times I felt I had it, only glimpses though but better than nothing. Felt sore after actually, think I am concentrating too hard sometimes.

Wed Morn 21st Mar - Swim

Enjoyed the session, I usually done when B+B is involved for some reason. the 4x 50 des: 51, 48, 46, 43. 400,300,200,100 B+B + 20s steady: 7:45, 5:47, 3:48, 1.51. 4x 50 fast: 41, 46, 43, 43. So close to a sub 40sec 50! Someday soon hopefully, mind you I paid for it on the second fast 50.

Wed Eve - Bike

HR 125; CAD 92; A good hour here, felt full of beans and had to rein it in a few times.

Fri Eve 22nd Mar

45 min easy run with 15min steady pace

HR 146; PACE 4:21/km;I was tipping away nicely up until 35min when I started to struggle. Found it difficult to keep HR in steady and pace dropped. Sneezing a lot today too...could I be getting another cold??? 3 in 3/4 weeks - surely not! Anyway I really was feeling good up to that point. Arms down and relaxed, felt like I was in a good rhythm and 4:15/km was my easy pace for 17min. Hopefully it's nothing but I'll be cautious tomorrow.

picture.php?albumid=1633&pictureid=12271

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

One tip I read recently is to pull your shoulders up to your ears every 10 minutes or so and then let them drop. They will instantly relax

Fri Morn 23rd Mar

With the Leinster Swimming Gala on this morning and all weekend there was no club swim but one of the swim coaches e mailed me a main set to do. So did it in the NAC before the gala got started.

4x50 des 1-4 on 60: 49, 46, 44, 43

6x {150sw off 3min, 50 fast off 60} Aim was to try and get all fast 50’s no slower than 43sec:

2:27, 41, 2:29, 42, 2:32, 42, 2:31, 43, 2:35, 44, 2:34, 42

So just one fast 50 slower than 43. Delighted though that I got the last one back to 42 because with 20m to go I thought I was done, lactic city and falling apart. But dug deep and kicked hard, very hard, kick, kick, kick and that strong kick got me in under 43 ☺

The bc CD felt lovely.

Time 60min
    Dist 2,400m

Before the swim it was 30 min of stretching and rolling, felt good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Could you benefit from keeping a food diary?

Advertisement