Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alanya, Turkey 2013 - My Euro Dream Odyssey

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Same flow FTP as me now, hitting 1:35 pace in the pool... must check what races you are doing again... :(:D

Great stuff El D! I'm going to pre-empt your welcome to T2 and the sight of Bambaata legging it down the road like he stole something from the transition area... Unless of course your running makes the same leaps and bounds that your swim and bike are currently, could be the other way around ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,086 ✭✭✭Bambaata

He'll get a stab at that at TriAthy anyway so loads of time to get over the recent leg issues which seems to be going well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

Impressive work.

Quick newbie question if you don’t mind. What’s the significance of a rise in HR and why is it a good thing that it’s gone up since the last test?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

I am guessing no more than me who also suffers from low heart rates on the bike that his leg strength is holding up better to allow him to push his heart more. I struggle to get over the 150's on the bike even when i am close to collapse, my legs give way before my heart does

• Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭El Director

@shotgun thanks dude but I've a lot more to do :) Things are moving in the right direction and the fact that I will be racing at at least 10kg lighter means there will be gains made for sure. Catching you two boys will be difficult...to the extreme. By the time you've got out of the water and pedaled a bit down the road it will be game over already. But progress is pregress. Swim and bike do seem to have improved and running before christmas too...there is also transitions and I am notoriously poor during T time :)

@bambaata.....mmm me thinks someone is worried :) already eliminating my excuses for poor performances :) but you are of course right, fingers crossed this IT issue does not raise it's head again.

@nerraw1111 hey man, thanks. Not a newbie question at all, I suppose it was out of context in a way. My last test in Oct there was serious questions about my ave HR and my ability to hurt on the bike, very valid questions I might add too. So I really concentrated on my HR this time and tried to make sure it was as high as I could put up with and I surprised myself...my legs lasted the full 30 :)

@CW spot on dude, exactly. Legs must be getting stronger, despite no BG work in over 3 weeks.

• Advertisement

Cheers lads, that makes sense.

I seem to be able to get my HR up ok on the bike, within 10 beats or so of the maximum.

I think I know what you mean about the ability to hurt on a bike. I can suffer on a hard run a lot easier than the bike. Find it all too easy to back off once I feel the strain. Different kind of hurt.

Fri Eve 27th Jan

Plan 30 min easy with 5x 30sec build/30sec rec
    Actual 30 min easy with 5x 30sec build/30sec rec

Another easy 30 min under the belt. I tried to keep my cadence quick and indeed it really did feel that way. So I was really surprised to see that my cad was about 3rpm DOWN then usual! Very confusing but nothing to worry about, good to experiment anyway. One thing I noted was I was much lighter on my feet, meaning there was much less impact on my legs. I may be finding a more efficient way to run. We'll see.

HR 147/163; PACE 4:27/km; CAD 78.3

Time 29:53
    Dist 6.7km

Frosty/freezing outside but I'm going to wrap up and get out there for 2.5hrs :o I'll just stick to a main route where there shouldn't be too many icy spots.

Sat 28th Jan

Plan 2.5hr easy spin
    Actual 2.5hr easy spin

Headed off this morning, waited an hour to let some thaw occur - not that it really did. Headed off at 9:30. It was, and I knew this anyway, very apparent that it was going to be very very difficult to get into my new easy zone (138-149) . I worked really hard throughout the spin but just could not get into it. It is relatively flat route, Trim and back, but quite 'draggy'. I split the spin by hitting lap a few times but the best I could ave was 136bpm for about 10 min (see splits for more detail here) Usually I'd get out of the saddle a few times just to get the HR up but it was too slippy and even icy in spots to be doing that. These spins are supposed to be 'easy' but try telling my legs that! I may have even done a little damage to the ITB :( After I got off, a half hour or so I could really feel it, same location as a few weeks ago. Glad to have gotten out anyway and I hope I haven't done much damage.

HR 127(148); SPEED 27.4km/hr; CAD 90;

TIME 2:32
    DIST 69.7KM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Have to say El D it has always baffled me why you find it hard to get the hr up on the bike. I know you checked hrm before etc....its a strange one as you should not be feeling like you are pushing hard to get into the easy zone.
    Hope the ITB is alright!!

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭HalfTri

El D - Is it fair to ask what your max hr rate is on the bike? To me easy zone 138 to 149 seems v high. Are you going by your run zone hr's? There different.

• Advertisement

HalfTri wrote: »
    El D - Is it fair to ask what your max hr rate is on the bike? To me easy zone 138 to 149 seems v high. Are you going by your run zone hr's? There different.

Hi HalfTri. I don't know my max HR for bike or run or swim for that matter. I don't really think anybody knows for sure. I do know however the max HR that I have reached on my bike, in a recent T30 test I hit a max of 179. My HR zone's are based on this test.

Sun 30 Jan

Plan 50 min easy run
    Actual 30 min easy run

Well headed out late last night as I was busy and only got 30 min in but to be honest it was all about seeing if I did major damage the day before. So I left the garmin and HR at home and just headed out on a 10 min lap to see how I'd go. It was fine and I built into it with no IT band problem thank god. I may go see the physio again this week later anyway.

Time 30 min
    Dist 6.5km

Since Saturday I have been thinking about that days spin and it annoys me that I left my RPE at the door as I headed out. I knew that what I was doing wasn't easy and yet I kept pushing it. I should have had more cop on at this stage. I'm very confused I must say and even thinking about bring forward getting a power meter by two years just to take the guess work out of it. I don't think I could afford one though right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

+1, most people would see 140 as a steady ride, not easy (never mind getting up towards 150).

kennyb3 wrote: »
    +1, most people would see 140 as a steady ride, not easy (never mind getting up towards 150).

Ah KB good to hear from you dude, was wondering at the weekend what you are up to these days and how things are going for you.

Re the HR zones I am mistified but myself and the coach will sort it out I'm sure. We will be chatting later at some stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Ah KB good to hear from you dude, was wondering at the weekend what you are up to these days and how things are going for you.

Unfortunately not very much. Had the most innocuous fall off my bike last August, got up was fine but knee got sore 60k into that cycle.

Haven't done anything of note since as even easy cycles are tightening up the hamstring - all despite the fact i ve had physio for months, an mri, a cortisone shot, rest etc etc. Have tried most things at this stage - last resort is laser next sat week so hopefully that works or i don't know where im left then. (scrapheap)

Been doing a course at the weekends to keep busy which helps.

Still poking my nose in at a few logs, but not nearly as much as before as its last thing i want to be reading about.

kennyb3 wrote: »
    Unfortunately not very much. Had the most innocuous fall off my bike last August, got up was fine but knee got sore 60k into that cycle.

Haven't done anything of note since as even easy cycles are tightening up the hamstring - all despite the fact i ve had physio for months, an mri, a cortisone shot, rest etc etc. Have tried most things at this stage - last resort is laser next sat week so hopefully that works or i don't know where im left then. (scrapheap)

Been doing a course at the weekends to keep busy which helps.

Still poking my nose in at a few logs, but not nearly as much as before as its last thing i want to be reading about.

Jesus dude I'm so sorry to hear that. I really hope it works out for you, could never imagine not being able to be active and able to do what I love. Chin up and I really hope, given time, this sorts itself out.

Even by what your saying your HR levels seem to be wrong. I know this is a standard site but check it out -
    http://www.machinehead-software.co.uk/bike/heart_rate/heart_rate_zone_calculator_abcc_bcf.html

My max hr is a just a small bit lower than yours but my easy zone is way off yours. I do intervals in the zone your on bout!

Even by what your saying your HR levels seem to be wrong. I know this is a standard site but check it out -
    http://www.machinehead-software.co.uk/bike/heart_rate/heart_rate_zone_calculator_abcc_bcf.html

My max hr is a just a small bit lower than yours but my easy zone is way off yours. I do intervals in the zone your on bout!

The purpose of the T30 test is to establish ones LTHR (which is the ave HR for the last 20 min) then base your zones on that. So for me that was a LTHR of 168 and based on Joe Friels zones here my zone 2 is 136-149. The test was done indoorson a trainer so it was about 15 degrees warmer than a cold, frosty morning like Sat morning. Now that I think of it I had an unusal amount of caffine in my system the day of the test, unusal for me I mean. These things all affect HR and could explain 10bpm I'm sure. I'll put this to the coach.

For me - I do all my long rides (bike) outdoor and i train at just over 70% HR for my long weekend sessions (3 - 4 hours). That maybe wrong. And maybe Tunney or Shotgun could give their view.

Ok, what coach says:

"...
    Caffeine and testing is a no no. Probably invalidates the testing there alone to be honest.

No fan and turboing - not only invalidates the testing but means most of the turbos have been less than they should have been. Working your sweat glands and your heart more than needs be.

Retest required. But after a fan is purchased."

I'm an ejit for not thinking of this before, but live and learn :rolleyes: off to argos after school :o

Cheers for that tip. I don't use a fan either.

I thought it would be of benefit, i.e. working harder etc. Still, love nor money would get me to do a re-test because of it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

I've never used a fan with the turbo. Put it next to an open window or do the turbo outside

I personally can push harder on the turbo if kept cool, i have two fans on the go and sometimes the back door open.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Working out HRs off MHR is well out of date.
    Comparing HR zones is pointless, they cannot be compared.

That site in all honesty generates junk.
    I find Friel's ones (done off LTHR) good.
    The purpose of the T30 test is to establish ones LTHR (which is the ave HR for the last 20 min) then base your zones on that. So for me that was a LTHR of 168 and based on Joe Friels zones here my zone 2 is 136-149. The test was done indoorson a trainer so it was about 15 degrees warmer than a cold, frosty morning like Sat morning. Now that I think of it I had an unusal amount of caffine in my system the day of the test, unusal for me I mean. These things all affect HR and could explain 10bpm I'm sure. I'll put this to the coach.

I find that caffeine makes a huge difference to those that don't drink it.
    If you are a big coffee person it makes little difference I've always found.
    For me - I do all my long rides (bike) outdoor and i train at just over 70% HR for my long weekend sessions (3 - 4 hours). That maybe wrong. And maybe Tunney or Shotgun could give their view.

I ride off power but that usually corresponds to the endurance zone of Friels. (Zone 2 81% to 89% of LTHR) Link here to his thoughts on it
    Ok, what coach says:

"...
    Caffeine and testing is a no no. Probably invalidates the testing there alone to be honest.

No fan and turboing - not only invalidates the testing but means most of the turbos have been less than they should have been. Working your sweat glands and your heart more than needs be.

Retest required. But after a fan is purchased."

I'm an ejit for not thinking of this before, but live and learn :rolleyes: off to argos after school :o

I love my fan.
    I've never used a fan with the turbo. Put it next to an open window or do the turbo outside

HRs would be lower and more realistic with a fan.

I use one at my face and have a backup one for uber hot/hard sessions.

I would reckon the next test Ed Director will do will come in about 155 LTHR.

@nerraw I hear ya dude but if it has to be re done then I will just have to physc up again and geton with it. It would be worse to be training in the wrong zones.

@shotgun I think during the summer I will be keeping at least one session per week on the turbo so I will definitely do that outside :)

@tunney I very rarely drink coffee, that day I had two cups and coke! Don't know why, just felt like it.

A LTHR of 155 with an easy zone of 125 - 137 would definitely feel more like it.

Prep Week 1

Well after the injury and two very cautious weeks I have been prescribed 2 prep weeks.

Monday Afternoon 30th Jan

Plan Coach Prescribed Swim, NAC SC
    Actual Coach Prescribed Swim, NAC SC

After a tough weekend which did involve crap eating and pints I was flat out this morning so it was an afternoon session. Felt very heavy and horrible in the water. My body now rejects bad quality foods and alcohol, I get a pain in my chest from the crap food and the alcohol comes back up (if I mix it, like I did Sat night :rolleyes:). Two weekends in a row now for poor eating. This stops now. Anyways...

The session:
    6x 50 as in 1-3 des, 3-6 fast: 55/50/49/44/43/43;
    4x(150sw as 50 cruise, 100 fast/3x 50 as 1,2 fast, 3 easy):
    Set 1: 2:26/0:46/0:46/0:53
    Set2: 2:30/0:45/0:46/0:54
    Set 3: 2:30/0:45/0:46/0:53
    Set 4: 2:30/0:45/0:45/0:53;
    4x 50 fast: 43/43/44/45.

Time 1hr
    Dist 2500m

Mon Eve 30th Jan

Plan 45 min easy run
    Actual 49 min easy run

Headed out again without the garmin, just didn't want to push it too much especially as this was my longest run since Jan 1st. Again it went fine, no issue from the knee but...again just like Saturday, whatever way I twisted or turned I tweaked the knee-felt it in the same location. Just feels a little weak in that area. So talking to a mate of mine (a senior A, Irish, 1,500m finalist) He swears by a guy called Ciaran McDonagh (Irish long jump recored holder and physical therapist). This guy is also Paul Hession's right hand man. I think it would be good to get someone with good experience in this area and he lives close by, a second opinion isn't a bad idea either. The guy I go to usually is excellent but my mate convinced me to go see this guy.

Time 48 min
    Dist 9.5km

At least the higher LTHR reading explains why the easy zone was in fact much harder to get into on the weekend ride:) Funnily enough when i seen your HR from the test i thought it looked high compared to your previous bike sessions.

Tues Morn

Stretch/roll/weakness

Time 35 min

tunney wrote: »

I ride off power but that usually corresponds to the endurance zone of Friels. (Zone 2 81% to 89% of LTHR) Link here to his thoughts on it

For me my LTHR would be the mid 160's. That would mean for my long bikes I should be holding 132+... Don't think I'd manage that.. At the moment I might average mid 120's if by myself and lower again if with a few others..:o Therefore I should be pushing harder?

Also do others have an issue with keeping (getting heart rate) up for the session next to a long bike? I find it much harder to get hr up :confused:

I was due to do a turbo session with intervals so I mailed coach to ask what should I do now that may HR zones are off, the answer - retest. I usually like a few days notice just to get psyched up, but it gotta be done and the sooner the better.

Anyway between a department meeting and having to go see a new physio I didn't get it done and all I could manage was 30 min easy.

Time 30min
    Dist 13.5km

My second biggest fan :)

picture.php?albumid=1633&pictureid=11859

O and also I got my pain cave back :)

picture.php?albumid=1633&pictureid=11858

• Advertisement

God damn it I had a great post done and submitted but was logged out! :mad: The short version.

Off I went to meet Ciaran McDonagh, a charismatic, confident guy and he made me feel at ease and welcome. He brought me into a small room where a guy was sitting on the floor with his legs in some sort of machine (it was for recovery) the guy was none other than Paul Hession. So there I was, the Irish long jump record holder, one of the fastest men on the planet (white anyway), the door wide open and yet I felt very comfortable. There was a nice positive vibe going on.

So Ciaran started by asking me about my car :( "How often d you change your tyres.....oil change.....service??" This analogy would not work on a lot of poeple I know but luckily for him I take care of my car. Point made. He said that if I am serious about my sport then I have to maintain my body. So I am going to see this guy on recovery weeks from now on.

He tore into me then :o Said that I was tight in numerous places and all down my right leg mainly. He actually started with me on my tummy, pressed hard into my shoulders, upper back and lower...there were some loud enough clicks :confused: He explained he wanted to align me first. This morning swimming I felt great, more flexibility in the shoulders and it felt like I had a longer reach :)

Then he used really got stuck in. Quads, hammer, calfs, IT band, glutes etc... I was in agony but doing well. He said that if I maintain it woun't be as sore. Then I felt him kinda pinch me a few tims. I looked down, to which Hession commented "you shouldn't have done that" and he was right, I wish I didn't. He was sticking tooth pick like, only bigger, things under my knee and all along the IT band. Then every 30 sec he would flick them. It was very painful but I got used of it then.

He then did some assisted stretches with me which felt great. Today I am very sore and bruised along my right leg but it does actually feel better. He gave me some simple exercises to do before this evenings 45 min easy run and for before all runs. He has a plan for me so it's heads up time.

After the session I felt so much better and reassured that I will get over this and actually be al the better for it. :)

Advertisement