Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alanya, Turkey 2013 - My Euro Dream Odyssey

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭El Director

tunney wrote: »
    Could you benefit from keeping a food diary?

Well as regards my weight and BF% I am very pleased with where I am and I'm very confident that come Athy I will be under 75kg, and 9.xx% BF. But certainly you have a point regarding me not feeling 100%, so I will post it here everyday next week. Cheers.

Fri Eve 23rd Mar

Easy 45min Spin

Sun was shinning all day in D15 and while in work I kept my fingers crossed that it would stay that way, usually I'd have stuff to do in school after the bell goes but today I wasn't waiting around-straight out the door, excited that I'd be in short sleeves and shorts :D It was the first outing of 2012 for the TCR, god I forgot what a beautiful bike it is to ride....supposed to be selling it and the Trinity at the end of the year to fund my new TT frame....but....it's going to be difficult to let it go :( Anyway I was looking forward to getting to the Park and the newly tarred Chesterfield Ave. If only all road surfaces were like that! Almost 4k perfect TT surface...loving it. As this is a recovery week of sort it was only a 45min easy spin but I had to keep reining in the effort, just felt like letting rip. For my winter spins I rode my older bike and weighed it down, god such a difference with a lighter bike, zipping along I was :) Very very enjoyable spin.

HR 123; CAD 93; AVE SPEED 27/km; DIST 21km; Time 45min

Sat 24th Mar

LER

My most enjoyable run of 2012. A beautiful, summer like, evening down at home, only one sound, that of the birds signing their songs. I ran with relaxed shoulders, MCOS's little tip helping me there, thanks dude. My arms would creep up now and again but I'd just bring them back down. Started very steady and build nicely into it finishing strong as opposed to struggling at the end. On a nice buzz this evening. Witnessed a lovely sunset for the last 10 min of the run...clocks go forward tonight :D Happy days. Actually tried a new pre run drink about 15 min prior-had a gel (Kinetica, best tasting gels ever) and then 100ml OJ, 100ml water, a scoop of unflavoured whey and some udo choice...bloody yum and may have helped me as I did not fade.

PACE 4:34/km; HR 140; DIST 15.97km; Time 1:13

• Registered Users Posts: 1 ScrappyDoo12

Well as regards my weight and BF% I am very pleased with where I am and I'm very confident that come Athy I will be under 75kg, and 9.xx% BF. But certainly you have a point regarding me not feeling 100%, so I will post it here everyday next week. Cheers.
    I hear rumours that you'll be looking to take on a few cool dudes down in the galway 8k next summer...that means a less :pac::pac::pac: out of you dogg. Good to see u getting back into it dude.

...that means a less :pac::pac::pac: out of you dogg.

:confused::confused: eh?

I sure doing the SoG 8k this year-love the race and haven't been able do it for 3 years now :eek: but as for 'cool dudes'.....I don't know any really so..... But there will be epic battles had ;) Thanks, good to be back in the swing :)

Looks like once a week updates for me for a while, difficult to find time TBH...anyway still think it's worth while updating :)

Sun 25th Mar

Long Bike

What a beautiful day, a joy to be out there. It does the soul good to get a bit of sun on your back. That said there was plenty of wind around too and I was plugging away into it for at least 1.75hr. So by the end my legs were actually toast!

SPEED 27km/hr; HR 126; CAD 90; DIST 68km; TIME 2:30

Weekly Summary

12th Mar - 18th Mar|# sessions|Time hh:mm|Distance kms
    Total|17|16:17|249.9
    Swimming|3|03:00|7.2
    Cycling|4|07:15|202.4
    Running|3|02:42|36.3
    Strenth/Core|7|03:20|N/A

A recovery week of sorts although more in intesity rather than volume. Highest bike milage in a long long time, running and swimming km staying consistent. Enjoyed the week just gone :)

Week Beginning 26th Mar - Speed

Coach started the week by telling me that the wekends race (first of 2012) should be interesting, I was thinking he meant in terms of where I am at...he meant because because I WILL be tired. I then took a look at the week ahead and he wasn't lying. Some tough sessions this week, including one on Fri and one on Sat - race Sunday. So the first of 2 weeks of speed work and thats fine by me :) Love the higher intesisity stuff so having a race in there actually makes sense really. Got started yesterday morning in the NAC

Mon 26th

Swim

5x200p steady + 20s: 3:27, 3:26, 3:24, 3:21, 3:25
    I felt great in the pool this morning. What I was doing felt easy…too easy actually. I realized that if things were getting easy then it means I have a new ‘easy’, ‘steady’ and ‘mod hard’ zone. So after the first two I tried to up it. Although the times do not reflect how good I was feeling.

8x100sw mod hard + 15s: 1:32, 1:35, 1:39, 1:36, 1:38, 1:38, 1:38, 1:36
    Now I was working for these but a fast first one left me struggling on the next two-15 sec goes by very quick! Found a good pace then for the rest.

4x50 fast on 60: 41, 43, 45, 44

At least I know that I can get the fast 50 under 40 (Long Course) if fresh…one of these days-it’s coming ☺

Mon Eve 26th Mar

Run - Easy, include 6x20sec fast, 30sec easy

Well a while since I had fast stuff and it certainly showed! Died on last 2 reps but great to be doing speed again. The easy bit felt relatively easy, moving along nicely. It's been a while since I went deep into the lungs...still coughing up horrible crap :) Reminds me of running a 800m on the track-nothing like it to open the lungs. Another splendid evening. Split details here

HR 147/175; PACE 4:34; DIST 9.7km; TIME 44:26;

Stretch/rolling - 40min

Tues Morn 27th Mar

Strength/Stretch

60min

The Food Diary

Monday 26th

Pre Swim: Half Banana
    During Swim: 750ml Water+High5 Zero Tab

Breakie: My most substantial meal of the day and favourite meal :)

200ml water+unflavoured whey protein
    Porridge with skim milk, blue berries, strawberries, flaxseed, undo choice oil, manuka honey (YUM)
    Tea
    2 homemade brown bread slices (Linda's mom :)) with flora + strawberry jam

11am Snack: Handfull of healthy nuts, apple, kiwi and green tea

Lunch: Salad - Wild rocket, chicken (plain/breast), cheese (made from skimmed milk), beetroot, peeper, organic cherry tomato's, whole meal begal with light mayo
    Tea

Pre-Run: 100ml water+100ml OJ+one scoop whey+udo choice (YUM)

Diner(7pm): chicken casserole (Linda's mom :)) with steamed veg-carrots+parsnips+baby potato, potato stuffing (YUM)

Tues 27th Mar

Pre Gym: Half Banana
    During Gym: 250ml Water

Breakie:
    Porridge with skim milk, blue berries, strawberries, flaxseed, undo choice oil, manuka honey (YUM)
    Organic boiled egg
    Tea
    2 homemade brown bread slices (Linda's mom :)) with flora + strawberry jam

11am Snack: Handfull of healthy nuts, apple, kiwi and water

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Nevermind your flora and skimmed milk. Get some kerrygold and full fat milk in to you! :D

Still no 910xt??? What's the story?

pgibbo wrote: »
    Nevermind your flora and skimmed milk. Get some kerrygold and full fat milk in to you! :D

Still no 910xt??? What's the story?

Well would you believe....2 months later than expected....got delivered this afternoon :D Very exciting!

picture.php?albumid=1633&pictureid=12310

Re the milk and butter, well I've always had Flora and after going to skimmed I'll never go back!

Body Composition Watch

Body Fat (%)

picture.php?albumid=1633&pictureid=12311

Weight (KG)

picture.php?albumid=1633&pictureid=12312

Muscle Mass (KG)

picture.php?albumid=1633&pictureid=12313

So....

Weight down :)
    Body fat down :)
    Muscle Mass down :(

So I continue the tren in weight, namely down, and muscle mass, down but I also lost fat. I only made a return to strength training this morning so I hope to see muscle stabilise and even gain a kilo or so. For my first a race (Athy Sprint) my target weight is just under 75kg and for BF I'd like 9% or so. Anyway right now....10kg lighter than last year A races :o

Tues Eve 27th Mar

Bike

10 easy
    4x 1 HC, 30sec easy
    4x30sec build, 30sec easy
    4x(10 LTHR + 5-10bpm, 5 easy)
    5x15 sec all out, 45 sec easy
    5 easy

Toughest session of the year thus far...and I was loving it :) Learning how to hurt on the bike has taken me a while but I am getting there. First rep of the 4 I struggle to get ave hr above 155 but I was above it for the last 4 min. I couldn't believe that this should be so difficult but I said "F it, come on-HTFU and HURT". So I did. The reps actually felt like BG work except for 10min with cad above 90 and speed (on the flow) at 47+km/hr. I thought I was toast after them and saw I still had 15sec all out x5, but again I really dug deep and powered through them. A shame (maybe even a sin) not to be out on a day like today but sessions like these are better done indoor IMO. Thankfully tomorrow is an easy enough day with a sports massage included. These two weeks will test me, two days in and I am enjoying it I must say....early days though :)

HR 139 (151/157/159/160); SPEED 34.5km/hr; CAD 88; WATT 253; DIST 51.8km; TIME 1:30;

Weds Morn 28th Mar

Swim

On paper this session should have felt easy, it didn't feel that way though! Glad to see I have the pull b between my legs for most of it as I am sore from yesterdays bike session.

5x100p mod hard on 2: 1:39, 1:37, 1:36, 1:34, 1:34
    Didn't intend on des the set but that's the way it worked out! Arms felt heavy. I swim slower without my kick as my legs seem to drop slightly with the pull b.

10x50p alt fast/easy on 70, the fast 50's: 45, 46, 45, 47, 47
    A lot slower than norm, again I do swim slower with the pull b and again-arms very heavy :o

Dist 2,500m; Time 1hr

I hope to have my first swim garmin file later today for all to see :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

I hope to have my first swim garmin file later today for all to see :)

Being a stats nerd i cannot wiat to see. It was a close call the weekend i near bought a 910 myself at the Expo:)

I already uploaded this but in an attempt to keep it day to day here it is again (first half of yesterday)

Tues 27th Mar

Pre Gym: Half Banana
    During Gym: 250ml Water

Breakie:
    Organic boiled egg
    Tea
    2 homemade brown bread slices (Linda's mom ) with flora + strawberry jam

11am Snack Handfull of healthy nuts, apple, kiwi and water

Lunch: Salad - Wild rocket, chicken (plain/breast), cheese (made from skimmed milk), beetroot, peeper, organic cherry tomato's, whole meal begal with light mayo
    Tea and digestive bici x2

Pre-Bike Session: 100ml water+100ml OJ+one scoop whey+udo choice (YUM), a gel with 60g carb and half banana. Tough session ahead of me so I fuel appropriately.

Diner(7pm): Lasagna (Linda's mom :)) with steamed veg-carrots+parsnips+baby potato, potato stuffing (YUM)

First swim file now up here

Anymore while doing drill sets I will pause or 'rest' the watch as it messes up the averages.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭ray o

A nice new toy Micheal! What were you using to keep track of you swim stats before this? I have the 310xt but looking at getting something for the pool. I hear the lack of auto pause is the only draw back of the 910 for pool sessions.

Here you go Ray. Had it for two years and loved it simplicity. Doesn't up load to comp but you can read data off the device...they have since brought out one that does hook up to a comp. Great value though imo in this particular baby.

Thanks, I was looking at that and the Finis Swimsense. Not much in it but both have their advantages. Maybe I should save the cash, flog the 310 and buy a 910 instead :)

ray o wrote: »
    Thanks, I was looking at that and the Finis Swimsense. Not much in it but both have their advantages. Maybe I should save the cash, flog the 310 and buy a 910 instead :)

With people picking up 910xt's you might get a cheap poolmate secondhand now :D

With people picking up 910xt's you might get a cheap poolmate secondhand now :D

Thats true. All offers considered :)

Thats true. All offers considered :)

mmm.....well it kinda has sentimental value and considering you can pick up a new one for 50eur(ish) I don't think I'd get much for it....also it might be handy as back-up and a normal watch too :)

mmm.....well it kinda has sentimental value and considering you can pick up a new one for 50eur(ish) I don't think I'd get much for it....also it might be nady as back-up and a normal watch too :)

I'd have to get the pro versions if getting one so I could upload the data. I like that it can be used as normal watch with timer functions aswell. However I would really like the stats per length that comes with the swimsense. Actually the more I think about it the 910 seems to be the better all rounder. I can't make a decision to save my life.

Where did you buy your 910 from?

• Advertisement

I'd have to get the pro versions if getting one so I could upload the data. I like that it can be used as normal watch with timer functions aswell. However I would really like the stats per length that comes with the swimsense. Actually the more I think about it the 910 seems to be the better all rounder. I can't make a decision to save my life.

Where did you buy your 910 from?

The US, I knew someone so no tax or delivery costs, worked out at about 340 eur with new HR monitor. I think if you are a swimmer then it has to be swimsense or poolmate pro....but as a triathlete well's if it can be afforded then the 910xt is the all in one wonder isn't it. Do what I did get others to chip in for an up coming birthday pres or christmas (long way off I know :))

Weds Eve 28th Mar

Run/Massage Second of three sessions with Austin Mooney

So the upper body has loosened out somewhat, he was happy with the relaxed shoulders and upper body movement. The right leg still swinging out slighly but that won't improve unless I keep working with my hockey ball to loosen it out and also strengthen it which I have begun to do via side leg lifts and other exercises. A badly needed massage then, he commented that the right glute was much looser now but still slightly tight. He then took me down to where the hydropool was and I did 1 min in it, then one out with warmer water, then 2 in followed by warmer water. God it was freezing to the point where it hurt. He said usually newbies last only 30 sec and aren't able to do it sitting down but I'm made of tougher stuff...now problem to me ;) Legs feel great this morning, usually 48hrs after a tough session is when they are at their worst but today-fine :)

DIST 6k; TIME 30min

Stretch/Roll/Massage

TIME 60min

Food Diary

Wed 28th Mar

Pre Swim: Half Banana
    During Swim: 750ml Water+HIGH5 Zero tab

Breakie:
    Organic boiled egg
    Tea
    2 homemade brown bread slices (Linda's mom ) with flora + strawberry jam

11am Snack Handfull of healthy nuts, apple, kiwi and water

Tea and digestive bici x2

Pre-Run: 100ml water+100ml OJ+one scoop whey+udo choice (YUM)

Diner(7pm): Pasta (no sauce), asparagus, broccoli, red pepper, salmon fillet. All tossed with rapeseed oil (the new extra virgin) (YUM)
    Tea and 2 digestives :)

Thurs Morn 29th Mar

GYM

Stretch/Roll/Strength

For strength I'm just doing calfs, lats, upper and lower back, core which now includes some glute strengthening exercises

TIME 1:15

I think your diet is a little static. Ideally it should follow your training. Do you really need protein, etc before a 6km run? Also, a big dinner like that after a light training day may not be required.

OJ plus protein is typically a recovery food rather than pre-training. That amount of OJ will cause an insulin spike which can make you sluggish. I'm assuming white pasta and if so then that's a recovery food too which really isn't needed after a 6km run.

Breakfast, snack and lunch all look pretty good. If it was a tough swim I'd have the protein drink and a banana straight after the swim and then have breakfast within an hour of the swim finish.

My 2c but I'm no expert :D

I think your diet is a little static. Ideally it should follow your training. Do you really need protein, etc before a 6km run? Also, a big dinner like that after a light training day may not be required.

OJ plus protein is typically a recovery food rather than pre-training. That amount of OJ will cause an insulin spike which can make you sluggish. I'm assuming white pasta and if so then that's a recovery food too which really isn't needed after a 6km run.

Breakfast, snack and lunch all look pretty good. If it was a tough swim I'd have the protein drink and a banana straight after the swim and then have breakfast within an hour of the swim finish.

My 2c but I'm no expert :D

Cheers dude for taking the time :)

The protein drink before the run was really because I am usually hungry at that time so that pre-session drink isn't for fuelling purposes, that's done at lunch, but to satisfy the hunger and works a treat. Re the dinner being very big post a light session, good point, very good.

The reason I drink the OJ, whey mix pre training is simple....I took it straight from a book I'm reading. Now I am open to correction here but it is my understanding that the OJ will not cause an insulin spike as it is taken with protein, therefore the release of sugar is similar to a low GI food.

The pasta is and always is whole grain, unless after a long or intensive session.

Re the whey and banana straight after a tough swim, I try to do just that but sometimes forget the protein :o but I usually get home and down it straight away ie within 25 min.

Thanks P, hope the training is going well. Any races soon?

Tipping away as best I can and making the most of the time I have available. Enjoying it which is the main thing! :cool:

What book are you reading?

My understanding is that unless it's for recovery after a tough session, then the insulin will cause the protein or fat to be stored rather than absorbed and hence the protein will have no benefit. I don't understand the science of it all but that's my basic understanding. I'm open to correction here but that's my understanding.

Peanutbutter on oatcakes 90mins or so before training are a great snack.

I'd say next race for me will be the Quiet Man in early May as I'm heading away with the family in April.

Tipping away as best I can and making the most of the time I have available. Enjoying it which is the main thing!

What book are you reading?

My understanding is that unless it's for recovery after a tough session, then the insulin will cause the protein or fat to be stored rather than absorbed and hence the protein will have no benefit. I don't understand the science of it all but that's my basic understanding. I'm open to correction here but that's my understanding.

Peanutbutter on oatcakes 90mins or so before training are a great snack.

I'd say next race for me will be the Quiet Man in early May as I'm heading away with the family in April.

Still trying to read the core book book for endurance athletes but just haven't the time, over easter I will but I find it good...perhaps light in detail making it simple and by now most know how much I like simplicity :)

Re the insulin spike issue - again my understanding....is that weather you have such a drink (OJ&whey) before or after the muscle will use up the sugar released, after to refuel and if drank within an 1hr (for me 10min) before to help the muscles throughout that session. If drank and no exercise took place after then ya like any sugary thing it will be stored as fat. Like you P...my understanding Anyone else help us here??

Thanks for the snack idea....one thing about my diet is it lacks a bit of variety. Ovr the easter I hope to make up 3/4 weeks worth of meal and snack plans and then just rotate them. At this stage I know it's all about planning.

Thurs Eve 28th Mar

Bike with 5 sprints thrown in

Another glorious day so off to the Pheonix Park to tear it up on the newly surfaced avenue :) great having the 910 on the bike too, the quick release kit seems to be simple yet effective. Haven't got chance to get into the detail of the watch so just using it like I would the 305. I love the screen, much easier to read and having the watch on the bar extensions is great, data right under you nose. My ave cadence was low so not sure if it's totally accurate. New HR monitor is comfortable and seems to work fine. For the sprints I gave it everything, I meant to do 5x 20 sec sprints but didn't set it up that way on the watch so some are longer than others in duration. Felt good and powerful, rep 1,2 and 5 were with a tail wind, 3 and 4 into a head wind. A really enjoyable spin. Tough sessions tomorrow and Saturday then it's race time....finally! Can't wait, tired or not it's why I love training, just the thought of race morning gets me excited. Bring it on :)

picture.php?albumid=1633&pictureid=12348

It was then a quick change and dash to the "Off The Ball" roadshow in Blanchardstown, so my meal that evening wasn't exactly what I should have had but that's the way it goes sometimes.

Fri Morning 30th Mar

Swim with club

My housemate had a bt of a scare during the night and so just to be safe I brought her to A&E at 4am so swim didn't happen. It seemed very quite...still it was 8am before she was seen, anyway session missed but main thing she is fine now.

Fri Afternoon 30th Mar

Run Easy with 5x 800m @ 3:45/km and 200m jog

Felt shattered today after work, that's what 2 hours sleep will do to ya. Also the curry from the night before could still be felt so not ideal. I felt fat and sluggish and all week I had been feeling solid, fit and confident...funny what some sh!t food and poor sleep will do to ya. Anyway I have been looking forward to when I can return to doing sessions at the Polo grounds, basically it is a 1k loop on grass, used by runners a lot during the summer. Typically you will have the wind in your face half of the loop and at your back the other half, yesterday was no different. I was surprised I got into my stride and how easy 3:45 pace felt so happy days. I then met a mate after to give hime some running tips, which was cool s I am interested in the coaching side of things, so we did another 3 loops, 3k, but I forgot to start the garmin again so it is not recorded. A really enjoyable session in the end.

picture.php?albumid=1633&pictureid=12350

The Weekend

So Sunday is Ennis duathlon but before that a really tasty session on Saturday....I will certainly be racing tired on Sunday but I must say I am loving the challenge! Anyway it will be short and sweet in Ennis - 2.7k/17k/2.4k. I could do with a longer bike (20k) but it will do and I'm looking forward to it.

Good luck tomorrow! :cool:

Perhaps one of the more knowlegable nutrition guys might be able to shed some light on it. :D

Sat 31st - House Hold Charge Deadline Day :mad:

Bike

Session

3:30 as
    1hr easy
    3x(20 sprint distance RPE and HR, 20 easy)
    15 TT
    15 easy

Household chores meant it was after 4 when I got out for this spin and after 7:30 when I got back! Thank god it's brighter now in the evenings...I lso now have a less than 15hr turn around to my first race of the year. Actually was dreading this session all week because I tought I'd fade badly towards the end, but I'm glad to report that I didn't, even though the last 1.25 hours was into a stiff head wind. It was dry and mild, the last half hour though my feet did start to get cold. The sprint efforts and the 15TT at the end were all done on rolling hills. The first two felt really good, no head wind and this route has 90% very good surface. Then just outside Ballaghdereen the 910 dropped the sat signal! WTF? I guess I was getting my data from the cad sensor from then on. The 3rd sprint effort was tough into the wind but I kept at it and concentrated on my HR. I wasn't looking forward to the 15min TT but when it rolled around I found myself on a decent stretch of road. I decided to get the HR up higher than the sprint efforts as this was a TT. Spun out the final 15min. Over 1,000m of climbing so a god day in the saddle. Despite the dropped sats I am loving the garmin. I love having it there sitting in front of me on the extention bar and it is very comfortable on the wrist too.

Nutrition Pre Spin: Gel, 100ml water/100ml OJ + one scoop whey. During: 750ml water with High5 Zero tab x2, 750ml water with Nuun tab, 3 gels.

picture.php?albumid=1633&pictureid=12360

So tomorrows race is all about experimenting...and I love that! These races are training races and if you don't try new things you will never know. So instruction from coach is:

"I'd like you to do the first third of each leg at faster than race pace, the middle third slower than race pace and the final third at race pace. Try to get that over eagerness educated and under control"

Can't wait to give it a go :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Nice session ElD good to see you are getting the hr up on the bike, you must have worked the sprint efforts and the tt hard.

• Advertisement

Sun 1st April

So after the late finish to the bike Sat evening I wasn't ready to sleep/go to bed until 12 and it was nearly 2 when I eventually slept :o Up at 6am as Ennis is about 1.75hr away. My usually pre race breakie which actually isn't much different from a normal days breakie....ensures that there is a 'movement' :o about hour before the race and therefore dropping about 0.6kg of weight :cool:
    Race morning BTW was 75kg bang on, sweet :)

I gave myself plenty of time to get to the race venue as I like to be there early and get in a non rushed warm up in. Especially important this morning as I will be tearing off straight away. Disaster however as I approached Anthenry I got a puncture :mad: HAd to get everything out of the boot and bike off the rack just to get out the bloody spare. Delayed me about 25min in all and then took a wrong turn :mad: Anyway...No time for any WU of any significance.

Run 1

So plan was as per previous post. Gun went and I took off fast! Got straight to the front with 3 others, HR was straight up to and over LTHR. The first 3/400m was on grass that was slippy because of the morning dew and I was losing grip alot. I was hoping for a pace of 3:29/30/km for the first third and I got that bang on. I was probably in 13/14th when I eased back into slower than normal pace and as I slowed 2/3 went by me. I was glad to be getting a chance to bring the HR down and settled a bit. That section was completed at a pace of 3:59/km - slower than intended to be honest. Then the final third of the run I picked it up to race pace and pegged 2 back, elevation does not shoe the nasty sharp inclines on the run. Into T2. Garmin file

picture.php?albumid=1633&pictureid=12378

Bike

SO after the less than impressive bike mount, it was a winding road out of the sports complex and over speed ramps until we got to the main road. Once out on the road and feet secure I worked on get all those places back that I lost in T1 and mounting. I was surprised at the distance that they put between us. Anyway the aim in this first section was to get the HR good and high. Usually for me I used this first couple of K's to allow the HR settle from the transition so it was completely new for me. Coming in from a race pace run, HR probably spiking in T, and then hitting the first 6k of the bike at higher than race pace! I started reeling in and picking off 4/5 of the guys. Then eased off on the distance alert. Two lads at this point went by me, I let the HR drop to 151 and felt comfortable. At the turn around I was 11th. Then for the last third it was back to race pace and 3 places more were gained before T2. Dismount wasn't too bad. Garmin file

picture.php?albumid=1633&pictureid=12379

Run 2

So I kept the sprint on for as long as I could, I was in O2 dep at this point so had to ease off a bit but tried to keep on it. As I entered the woods I realised I had company...mmmm....mustn't have dropped my T2 buddy. Then the alert came and I eased off. The guy behind me pulled up to my side, funny, it wasn't the guys in transition at all. He was light and moving well especially up the steep inclines, however I could have gone shoulder to shoulder with him, it was difficult to let him go but I stuck to my plan. The second alert came and I upped it again and got back that place, a different guy. I was gaining on the guy that got me but was running out of road. Finished in 8th and pleased with that. Garmin file

picture.php?albumid=1633&pictureid=12380

So an 8th place out of 120 and similar places for bike and run legs.

Got a massage straight after, he was pretty useless. He commented that my calf and hammers were feeling good but the right side of my right quad - very tight (side I had ITBS) also the left quad to a lesser extent. A very well run race and great location and beautiful very hot day. :)

My Thoughts

Well overall I am very pleased. First race of 2012 after two months of curtailed training and little speed work. Also the tough bike session 15 hours previous so, ya, very pleased. The pacing strategy was interesting. I only got passed when I slowed to below race pace and even then I regained those places. Loved sprinting out of T2 and putting a gap between me and the other guy in there, I feel it broke him as he did not chase. Getting up to the pointy end early on also meant I could keep an eye on things up there. Now I was gasping for air at times but Athy (first A race) is 2 months away and I am happy were I am. I can't wait to see what the strategy will be for that race, fresh legs....perhaps I can go at it hard from the start.

Advertisement