Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Minnesota Vikings????

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Magico Gonzalez

Leslie91 wrote: »
    And we're back.

Bit the bullet and got gamepass in for this year. Watched almost all of last night's preseason game at Seattle.

Pass rush looks even sharper, we're going to do give some qbs a good doing over this year.

Pass protection looks slightly better, albeit major question marks over Andre Smith, might have to hope Clemmings stands up. Still a concern and probably still going to hold us back but it might be slightly better than last year. Pre season optimism at play here I suspect. Boone looks like a good addition.

Bench Bridgewater last night, possibly to stop the hawks beating up on him. Not seen much of Treadwell, he was shut out last night, Thielen has come on leaps and bounds and looks a good bet for a start. Mobo (the german lad) hasn't started and will do well to get a practice squad place.

Run game - it's all on AP, the O Line didnt show much last night and Mckinnon picked up scant few yards. Local boy CJ Ham did do some positive things and broke out for a few 10 yd carries but in reality I can't see him unseating Asiata, Mckinnon or the main man. To keep him involved we'd need to bench Zach Line. Is that happening? I doubt it.

Chargers up next, hope to see more of Teddy. Hill did a reasonable job last night, Joel Stave looked like a 3rd stringer trying to get up to speed but he's young and looked serviceable. Just.

Big improvement in production from the TEs last night, def a positive take away. Surprisingly Patterson looked sharp to, at least he picked up some good yd'age off a couple of screen plays. Would be nice if dinking the ball off to him and letting him pick up yds after the catch/screen play became a real option during the season...nice outlet to dump off to when a play breaks down maybe. He looked sharp and enthusiastic.

Has Mobo not even seen the field on O?? is he on special teams at least? I've been checking the stat sheet after each game to see does he have a catch but none yet.

He definitely didn't get any game time last night. Didn't see the Bengals game.

I think the fact that Thielen has been strong in camp and last night really relegates him to an outside bet for the practice squad. You'r looking at Treadwell, Diggs, Johnson, probably Patterson, probably Thielen as all ahead of him in a race for 4 wideout positions. TE's have been promising in pre season too, Cole and Rudolph made catches last night so I don't see much scope for him to get a squad number. He would have needed to blow away the coaches in camp and from what I read (mostly from dailynorseman) that didn't happen.

Outside bet at best.

Interesting call to be made with CJ Ham. Looked a handful last night, could potentially be a FB with his size if he could get the blocking down. Zach Line is dependable but I wonder does he do enough to keep his spot.

O Line looked a lot better, Clemmings is not quite there yet at LT but it looked a lot better yesterday. The Chargers are probably not a great test though up front. Run defence looked ok, except for the blown play which led to their TD. Cant do that with Melvin Gordon lying in wait.

Teddy looked very sharp.

Good run out, plenty of positives to take away. We should definitely be in the mix for the division again with GB. Chicago and Detroit look like they have regressed, GB look to have improved.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭D9Male

I think Detroit will have a good year. Our division is in good shape this year, as we face AFC South and NFC East.

Glad to read our O line looked better. I think if we can fix it there, and step up our passing game, we can go a long way this year.

I think the Lions will suffer without Megatron and I don't much like Stafford without him.

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭nasty_crash

major positive watching vikes this week was Waynes and Alexander making plays in the secondary - and also alex boone at guard is so physical he will be important for vikes this year.

Gonna be interesting to see if they allow teddy to throw the ball more this year cos he showed he can do it..... and have weapons to target now...

• Advertisement

Clemmings still looked not quite there yet, but better than last year. Andre Smith has been awful. Right now Boone is holding the hole thing together. If Matt Khalil can get back and offer something we could be at least solid enough to let Teddy play. Lot of teams with bad O Lines out there and I don't think we are the worst.

That said, it was the chargers who have as a bad a pass rush as we have pass protection so the champagne corks should probably stay in the bottle.

Cuts coming, I hope that we somehow find a spot for CJ Ham but I can't see it, even if we keep him on the practise squad for a year. I'm not fussed about Mobo, if he was from the US he'd not get much press, I don't much care where the players come from tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭NapoleonInRags

Looks like Bridgewater has suffered a bad knee injury in training - big blow to the Vikings at the start of a season with great expectations.

Hopefully not as serious as feared.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,014 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Ugghh this is worse than the holocaust. Waiting years for them to finally have a team to compete, they finally get one that's looking awesome, and then it all turns to pot. Really must be one of the unluckiest team in all of sports

Well fuuuuuuuck that.

Season done.

Shaun Hill to start. Man. First our 3rd stringer boots a glass window in and wrecks himself and now this.

I don't even wanna think about who is out there as a replacement. Sanchez...groan.

This is what being a Vikings fan is though ! Optimism and inevitable dismay.

I am very disappointed. Tough to see a way out of this.

We need someone mobile.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,647 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

D9Male wrote: »

We need someone mobile.

Jake locker to the rescue ...

• Registered Users Posts: 39,628 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Just reading Mike zimmers comments from his press conference. It sounds really bad for teddy bridgewater. And Mike zimmer was apparently in bits during the presser.

I know we all have our own teams in the league and there are rivalries between teams but I'm sure I'm speaking for all on the AF forum in never wanted to see a player badly hurt regardless of team allegence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭poldebruin

Ah that's crap for Minnesota, they were lining up to be contenders in the North this year, a huge blow and a real pity for the player and all Viking fans if it turns out to be a season ending injury. Hope you guys can find success with whoever they get to step in.

It's sounds bad. At least season over bad, hope it's not worse.

Balls.

ps...watching the pressers, I wouldn't say Zimmer was in bits. He sounded disappointed but determined sounding.

Did say it doesn't look good for Teddy for this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭coco0981

D9Male wrote: »

We need someone mobile.

Kaepernick? Too different a player to Bridgewater for it to be an easy fit I'd say. Vikings built on Peterson and short passing game, Kaepernick wants to do the running himself and throw bombs down field.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,402 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

coco1981 wrote: »
    Kaepernick? Too different a player to Bridgewater for it to be an easy fit I'd say. Vikings built on Peterson and short passing game, Kaepernick wants to do the running himself and throw bombs down field.

Very different, but I think at this point they'd take anyone with a half decent record.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭poldebruin

Tavaris Jackson is still a FA, and if you send Denver a 6th we shall surely let Sanchez go to you guys. I'd guess the Jets would be willing to hear offers on Geno Smith too, but he's a young QB, with a first round contract for what should hopefully be a year rental doesn't make too much sense to me.

Personally I think you could be ok with Shaun Hill, and maybe bring in Josh McCown as a plan B. A good defense, and a mistake-free offense and solid special teams took Denver to the Super Bowl, so all is not lost with the season.

PFFs top rated team in pre season and Teddy the 2nd rated QB. This really felt like the season where putting up with McNabb, Webb, Ponder, TJack etc would become worth it. Really thought they would go close this year, had a very big bet on them at what was an insane 14/1 for the NFC, was closer to half that today in Vegas. Twitter alight with people from around the NFL, showing how well he's liked. Watch now, provided the air doesn't go outta their sails, the defence is that good they'll carry the team to something like 9-7 or 8-8 with atrocious QB play. Can easily see it happening and will just be more sickening when looking back as we'd see how close we would've been. 2 year window I think looking at the age profile of the roster. 1 year probably gone now and who knows what shape Teddy will be back in for the second

I really like the vikings even though I support the packers. Shame to see this happen to Teddy.

• Advertisement

In reality the best bet is soldier through the season with Hill and get a serviceable backup. I liked the look of Heinecke who will be back around November to provide another option.

Shame, because AP's production is likely to drop off in the next couple of years. This was a big yr for Teddy and AP in tandem, wideouts were looking decent over pre-season too.

Sullivan left the club today. Tough on him, but Berger has been better.

Yeah the Sully news is over shadowed. Easily one of their best players over the last decade, and very unlucky to get injured when he did. Was hoping he could come back to 2013 level because that's a level Berger can't get near. Sadly wasn't to be. Hope he gets one more decent payday elsewhere

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,647 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

On NFL.com it's saying he's done for the season

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭coco0981

Dislocated knee and torn acl

poldebruin wrote: »
    Tavaris Jackson is still a FA, and if you send Denver a 6th we shall surely let Sanchez go to you guys. I'd guess the Jets would be willing to hear offers on Geno Smith too, but he's a young QB, with a first round contract for what should hopefully be a year rental doesn't make too much sense to me.

Personally I think you could be ok with Shaun Hill, and maybe bring in Josh McCown as a plan B. A good defense, and a mistake-free offense and solid special teams took Denver to the Super Bowl, so all is not lost with the season.

I don't think the Browns trust RGIII, enough to let McCown go. They have not much behind him. If he RGIII went down clutching his knee they would want to see McCown ready to go more than they would want a 4th, 5th, 6th round pick.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭yorlum11

Dislocated knee and snapped his ACL. Season finished. A long torturous journey back from that. Oh well. Skol Vikings!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Leslie91

Sorry to hear about Teddy B lads........... it really is the worst nightmare to have the starting QB go down before the season even starts.

Rumours of Vick visiting. While I'm not big into that idea, I thought he sucked for the Steelers last yr, I can see the sense in a one year patch as opposed to a drastic change of track to go get a younger guy.

I guess he'd be cheap.

Cheap, and ****e.

Are we worried Teddy will ever fully recover?

• Advertisement

Recovery not guaranteed. Best case is he is ready for camp next year.

I dunno, it happened on a routine play, no contact. That has got to fck with you mentally, that may be the hardest thing. It's a lottery. It sounds like the sort of thing that could recur, or not heal. No one knows.

What's next years QB class looking like?

Advertisement