Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Minnesota Vikings????

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭D9Male

If you're going to have a moderate passing attack, avoiding turnovers will soften the blow. Looking back over this thread, I think the team is far outstripping the most optimistic expectations at the start of the season. I don't want to speak for you guys but for me, we are where I expected offensively (good on ground, throwing poor) but our D is way, way better than I predicted.

We're a Top 10 team and trending the right way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Magico Gonzalez

D9Male wrote: »
    If you're going to have a moderate passing attack, avoiding turnovers will soften the blow. Looking back over this thread, I think the team is far outstripping the most optimistic expectations at the start of the season. I don't want to speak for you guys but for me, we are where I expected offensively (good on ground, throwing poor) but our D is way, way better than I predicted.

We're a Top 10 team and trending the right way.

Agree on the D, i thought we'd be not quite as good on the ground ...I mean, I thought AP wouldnt be as effective as he is, and a bit better in the air as I hoped for more out of Johnson, Wallace and even held out hope for Patterson.

Still, one more win and we will have reached my most optimistic prediction, so all good. If we had one more body to help Clemmings out against Pass rushing we'd be so much better. Imagine where we would be with all bodies fit for action on the OL.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭yorlum11

Winning ugly seems to be our thing! Solid foundations but we are far from the finished article.

Well exactly. It's been a lean few years. Solid foundation as you say even though we know there is improvements to be made to challenge the top teams. I will take where we are right now.

Vikings on Sky sports Sunday afternoon. :)

yorlum11 wrote: »
    Vikings on Sky sports Sunday afternoon. :)

Are we confident? I am not confident. Wilson is coming in hot and we're sort of set up to go at QBs rather than contain them in the pocket. He's a better QB on the move than contained in a small pocket having to check down through his progressions. We'd need to be kind of conservative, but aggressive with our D to win. Box him in, play very tight in the secondary and make him make mistakes. Dont want to see him running the ball or scrambling and making broken field passes.

That said, AP could rip holes in them. I reckon both sides will post 20 points, but I fancy them to sneak it. ..Hmmm, then again, no Jimmy Graham. Ahh..tense, too tense.

Hey, I didnt believe for a second we'd come into this with a better record than the seahawks so I'm still smiling whatever happens.

• Advertisement

Well, I suppose we should be glad Patterson ran one back, but that was pretty concerning and perhaps a harsh reality check. Cant say much more than that. What went wrong? Everything. As bad as the 49ers debacle at the start of the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

As a Hawks fan - did ye just have a bad day at the office? Did the injuries play a big factor to your offense?
    When you play another playoff positioned team and get a result like that you usually have to take it with a pinch of salt.

Good luck for the rest of the season.... unless we meet you again in the playoffs!

I think very few Vikings fans would have been confident going into that game. Even fewer would have predicted the win. However, it was a lot worse that we thought.

But for me, a few things all conspired to mean we had our arses handed to us.

- We have a very one-dimensional offence. Stop the run, you stop the Vikings.
    - Seahawks played like this game was a playoff game. Vikings played like it wasn't.
    - We have had a very soft schedule so far. We have played only three decent teams before this. Kansas, Green Bay, Denver. And we were 1-2 against those and we got Kansas on an off day.
    - The offence and the defence fed off each other. In the wrong way. 3 and outs followed by penalties and missed tackles from the D.

The injuries were a factor, sure, but Seattle have injuries, so do lots of teams.

One more thing, the tackling was atrocious. Maybe I am being a bit harsh on the injuries. They were certainly a factor.

Very interesting and very depressing article about Teddy B and the offensive line.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/film-room/2015/film-room-teddy-bridgewater-0

• Advertisement

Very interesting and very depressing article about Teddy B and the offensive line.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/film-room/2015/film-room-teddy-bridgewater-0

Good read, if not slightly worrying. Minor miracle that we might break .500 with that OL. Not sure how quickly it can be fixed either.

1-15 in Primetime tv games away from home. I would never bet on us winning big games on the road.

If we cover the spread, it is a big step forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,013 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

TheDoctor wrote: »
    As a Hawks fan - did ye just have a bad day at the office? Did the injuries play a big factor to your offense?
    When you play another playoff positioned team and get a result like that you usually have to take it with a pinch of salt.

Good luck for the rest of the season.... unless we meet you again in the playoffs!

Not the offense no. Our 3 best players happen to play on defense and all 3 were injured for the full game. Team has a very good D but zero depth, so cant deal with injuries whatsoever. That and the Seahawks were very good and we're nowhere near good enough on Offense to trouble yer D when playing like that. From behind in any case.

The 3 amigos out again tonight. Can't see us winning for the life of me. Just hoping the Cardinals through a clunker like theyve been known to. Might have an outside chance in that unlikely scenario. I'd rather get blown out again tbh than a tough hard fought loss. Will mean we get maximum effort for the Bears game and hopefully the injured lads back

That was a sickening loss. I think we outplayed the Cardinals on both sides of the ball, but we were suckered by fumbles and missed chances at picks.

I don't know how I feel. I just finished watching it and I feel numb.

I was thrilled with the way the team were playing. Teddy played very well, but that mistake at the end. Oh my god.

That was a sickening loss. I think we outplayed the Cardinals on both sides of the ball, but we were suckered by fumbles and missed chances at picks.

I don't know how I feel. I just finished watching it and I feel numb.

I was thrilled with the way the team were playing. Teddy played very well, but that mistake at the end. Oh my god.

Sickener, expected a blowout. Cruel cruel cruel.

Teddy was very good, the OL stood up, but....we take the loss. Still think we can get one, maybe 2 more wins.

9 wins and above is a great season given the state of the OL (injuries etc). .500 would be the limit of acceptability.

Yeah but from where we were. 7-2 and 8-3, a winning season for me would be the limit.

Just looking at the Bucs now. Chance they go 3-1. Three wins, then a loss in Carolina. So if we go 1-3 in that scenario, they have the tie break on conference record I think.

Stayed up and watched it last night. Wrecked this morning :). I agree I think we outplayed them. Delighted to see Bridgewater throw 350+ yards. This is needed going forward as just a run game is very one dimensional. With Joseph, Smith and a few more to return I think we can be optimistic. Next season could be very exciting. As of now this season is very good and better than expected. Skol Vikings!!!

Tampa Bay losing is great foe us. Nailed on playoff vs. Packers. Question is where?

17-7. Half time against da bears. Petersen limped off. Probable to return. Let's go Vikings!!

Easy enough win, but I think the Bears are done for the season.

Bridgewater was very accurate. His three incompletions included two dropped passes. But most of his passes were screens or short passes with big yards after contact.

Still though, this game and the game against the Cardinals impressed me from Teddy.

OL was decent, and the defence played well too.

Onwards and upwards. I think we have a chance of beating the Packers in the WC round.

• Advertisement

Believe !

Best case scenario would be to beat the Pack on Sunday, then host them in the WC round. I think we'd struggle against Seattle.

Although we went toe-to-toe with the Cardinals two weeks ago, I would be scared of them if we got that far.

I would take Green Bay followed by Carolina.

I know some of you lads were optimistic of a good season, but this is way past where I thought we would be. I am going to watch the game this afternoon. Family commitments have prevented me watching much ball.

Best case scenario would be to beat the Pack on Sunday, then host them in the WC round. I think we'd struggle against Seattle.

Although we went toe-to-toe with the Cardinals two weeks ago, I would be scared of them if we got that far.

I would take Green Bay followed by Carolina.

I know some of you lads were optimistic of a good season, but this is way past where I thought we would be. I am going to watch the game this afternoon. Family commitments have prevented me watching much ball.

I've watched a few condensed games on youtube, you get all plays in about 45 mins. Quiet xmas period in work !

We've gone beyond what I thought we were capable of, delighted to say.

You never want to lose to GB, but if we do we would get Washington in the playoffs. Maybe it's academic and its nicer to pick up a division and beat GB, but we'd have a better chance of going deeper in the playofffs v washington.

I just watched condensed. Very impressed with our running game (nice blocking, and it wasn't all AP) and defence. Giants weren't on it, but the D stood up when needed.

Yeah, just looked at the scenarios. A loss would mean Redskins and then probably Carolina. That would do me.

If we win we get Seattle. We can only play GB in Lambeau, and only if we lose and Seattle win. I'm a bit torn. I think our D will handle Wilson a lot better with the 3 lads back, but not sure our offense can score on that D. Would prefer the Redskins in DC alright. Then again beating GB away could give untold confidence. And ive a healthy bet on the Vikings to win the division at 9s! We'll see I suppose. Can't see them not going all out for the win either way

I cant see them not trying to win, if you do that at Lambeau you get your arse handed to you ! Either way, regular season looks like a success, unbelievable given the pass blocking issues which still look chronic to me. Fusco was off the boil again and even the improved Kalil didnt have his best game. Run blocking definitely stronger than the pass blocking.

Brilliant ! ...hung on in the end after Patterson coughed one up. NFC North Champs.

We look a bit banged up, cant see us going any further but am damn happy to be there.

Brilliant ! ...hung on in the end after Patterson coughed one up. NFC North Champs.

We look a bit banged up, cant see us going any further but am damn happy to be there.

Yes agree. Happy to be champs of the north. Who knows in the playoffs. Good foundation for next season. Skol Vikings!

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭SameOleJay

Enjoy the division title folks. Great season and one of the best drilled teams in the league.

• Advertisement

Was fantastic that. This defense really is a special group. Great to see Everson and Rhodes step up after possible being overshadowed by others this year. Hopefully no serious injuries now bar Ellison. Think we can give the Seahawks a decent crack

Advertisement