Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Minnesota Vikings????

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭D9Male

Boone.

BOOM!

Yay!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Magico Gonzalez

Vikings take Laquon Treadwell in the 1st round, big athletic if not too quick WR. Something we needed, a WR who can be a go to guy and has the size and strength to allow us to keep possession of the ball.

Hope he works out. Lets see what 2nd choices pop out.

2nd round choice is a great story. Mackensie Alexander - very solid CB from Clemson, if you get a chance watch the ESPN video. His parents are immigrants from Haiti, Orange pickers in one of the poorest areas of Florida. Up until the draft he was out helping them in the fields at the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,014 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Depressing that from a draft hipsters pov the first 4 rounds couldve gone Treadwell, Alexander, Frackell, Billings, the latter two going just after our picks. That wouldve been one to explode the internet. As it is, once the childishness wears off we'll all be delighted with the extra picks next year. Happy out with how it went, only pick I didnt like was Beavers, who was a disgrace at the Senior Bowl by all accounts. Bohringer should be an entertaining story at the very least

• Registered Users Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Leslie91

Will be watching how MoBo gets on defo. U think Zimmer et al were going to pick him all along or did the feel good story get the better of them?

• Advertisement

I think the combine stats probably turned their heads, had to help that he was a fan. I think there might be an element of tappin that Northern European market in terms of fans and their money too !

I think the combine stats probably turned their heads, had to help that he was a fan. I think there might be an element of tappin that Northern European market in terms of fans and their money too !

Very interesting draft for the Vikings by all accounts (I know nothing about college ball). Would have preferred a receiver with more pace than Treadwell, but I love the positions we've strengthened in.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭yorlum11

D9Male wrote:
    Very interesting draft for the Vikings by all accounts (I know nothing about college ball). Would have preferred a receiver with more pace than Treadwell, but I love the positions we've strengthened in.

What he lacks in speed he makes up for in the air. He should be good in the redzone even in coverage. Here's hoping anyway. Skol Vikings!!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,017 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Just out of interest, do the regulars in this thread want me to change the title to remove the '????' from the title, or is this reflecting an important aspect of Vikings fans on here, possibly relating to some deep existential/identity crisis? :pac:

• Advertisement

It's no big deal like, but sure..why not..get rid!

re: treadwell, he's the one type of receiver we were badly missing. Ability to compete & pull in contested catches should be more useful than a digg's type speed merchant. Has been a problem for Bridgewater, had to dump the ball off onto dodgy hands Peterson too many times last year.

Agree a tall lad is required, but ability to generate separation is also nice. Still though, I know bugger all about him so I am probably best ignored.

Did Jeremiah Sirles do well for you lads last year. Always liked him when he was a Bolt, solid Guard imho. I was also disappointed to lose Mike Harris, great to see he is doing well at Guard too, was always seen as a Tackle in SD and that ended up costing him (not his fault).

I had to google him! ...no, he doesn't appear to have had any game time yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭yorlum11

Neil3030 wrote:
    Just out of interest, do the regulars in this thread want me to change the title to remove the '????' from the title, or is this reflecting an important aspect of Vikings fans on here, possibly relating to some deep existential/identity crisis?

Out with the ????

Neil3030 wrote: »
    Just out of interest, do the regulars in this thread want me to change the title to remove the '????' from the title, or is this reflecting an important aspect of Vikings fans on here, possibly relating to some deep existential/identity crisis? :pac:

You could add the word "seriously" between some of the question marks.

So it reads "Minnesota Vikings?? Seriously??"

• Registered Users Posts: 10,837 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

You could add the word "seriously" between some of the question marks.

So it reads "Minnesota Vikings?? Seriously??"

So Adrian Peterson thinks ye can win the super bowl this year. And he is serious.

I know footballers say that sort of thing all the time but I wouldn't be shocked in the least if ye win the nfcn this year. Think it'll be a very competitive division, and ye would be my pick for it tbh. Going in a good direction.

Well, I hope we can continue with the good progress we made. That said, offensively we're still very reliant on Peterson himself. Let's hope treadwell gives us a better option through the air but it's a big ask for a rookie.

We have some important guys up front coming back from injury which might change the OL for us, but we are still susceptible..if Sulllivan or Loadholt don't come back firing on all cylinders we'll continue to struggle. To make the breakthrough we probably need to be a bit less predictable on our offensive play calling.

A lot of elements need to come together with a serious dose of good fortune too. I think we're still short in terms of players and that our superbowl challenge may happen after Peterson peaks out, not sure this year isn't too soon.

Do y'all think Bridgewater is the man?....... can he become that 'franchise QB' type? seems the jury is out on him for many.

• Advertisement

He is as for as the GM and Zimmer are concerned. I think his success ultimately relies on getting a few more physical threats at wideout, and thats what treadwell and to a lesser extent boehringer was all about. Hard last year but a lot of times he was playing in a collapsing pocket with limited options. Diggs is great but he's a speedster , Peterson is not a great receiver of the ball as a 3rd or 4th option when everyone is covered.

I think he will become that franchise QB if and only if the OL holds up (a big if) and if one of the new wideouts becomes productive quickly, probably needs peterson to stay fit and productive to keep the opposing D's guessing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭coco0981

Don't know if ye can continue to rely on Peterson as much as last year. As good as he is the age has to become a factor soon. The conservative game plan worked up to a point last year but at some stage ye will have to take the learner plates off of Bridgewater and allow him to take some more shots downfield. Although threadwell is likely more of a short passing threat with his 40 time. Does Bridgewater really not have the arm strength to stretch the field?

I don't think he'll drop off that quickly, Peterson is. I guess we'll see.

Diggs is the deep threat, Treadwell comes in to contest in more tightly congested areas, something we didn't have previously.

For me he Bridgewater looks like he could become the real deal with the right weapons. I didn't think he was out of this world last year, and frankly he had some off games (49ers was a debacle!) but I believe that if one of the WR bets pays off and he gets some protection we'll see an upturn in stats this year.

IF IF IF !

Neil3030 wrote: »

Yeah, get rid please

coco1981 wrote: »
    Don't know if ye can continue to rely on Peterson as much as last year. As good as he is the age has to become a factor soon. The conservative game plan worked up to a point last year but at some stage ye will have to take the learner plates off of Bridgewater and allow him to take some more shots downfield. Although threadwell is likely more of a short passing threat with his 40 time. Does Bridgewater really not have the arm strength to stretch the field?

His arm strength is fine. His deep ball accuracy is an issue all right. He was average-good last year, a few excellent games such as @Broncos but was terrible in a couple too such as against the Lions. Should be noted that he was pressured on 47% of his snaps last year, by far the highest for a QB in the league. He was also limited to an extent by poor receiver play. They've spent some money upgrading the Guard and tackle position, with a former top centre and decent tackle coming back off long injuries. The OL figures to be decent, he looks to have an upgrade at reciever, so this year will tell all.

And we're back.

Bit the bullet and got gamepass in for this year. Watched almost all of last night's preseason game at Seattle.

Pass rush looks even sharper, we're going to do give some qbs a good doing over this year.

Pass protection looks slightly better, albeit major question marks over Andre Smith, might have to hope Clemmings stands up. Still a concern and probably still going to hold us back but it might be slightly better than last year. Pre season optimism at play here I suspect. Boone looks like a good addition.

Bench Bridgewater last night, possibly to stop the hawks beating up on him. Not seen much of Treadwell, he was shut out last night, Thielen has come on leaps and bounds and looks a good bet for a start. Mobo (the german lad) hasn't started and will do well to get a practice squad place.

Run game - it's all on AP, the O Line didnt show much last night and Mckinnon picked up scant few yards. Local boy CJ Ham did do some positive things and broke out for a few 10 yd carries but in reality I can't see him unseating Asiata, Mckinnon or the main man. To keep him involved we'd need to bench Zach Line. Is that happening? I doubt it.

Chargers up next, hope to see more of Teddy. Hill did a reasonable job last night, Joel Stave looked like a 3rd stringer trying to get up to speed but he's young and looked serviceable. Just.

Big improvement in production from the TEs last night, def a positive take away. Surprisingly Patterson looked sharp to, at least he picked up some good yd'age off a couple of screen plays. Would be nice if dinking the ball off to him and letting him pick up yds after the catch/screen play became a real option during the season...nice outlet to dump off to when a play breaks down maybe. He looked sharp and enthusiastic.

And we're back.

Bit the bullet and got gamepass in for this year. Watched almost all of last night's preseason game at Seattle.

Pass rush looks even sharper, we're going to do give some qbs a good doing over this year.

Pass protection looks slightly better, albeit major question marks over Andre Smith, might have to hope Clemmings stands up. Still a concern and probably still going to hold us back but it might be slightly better than last year. Pre season optimism at play here I suspect. Boone looks like a good addition.

Bench Bridgewater last night, possibly to stop the hawks beating up on him. Not seen much of Treadwell, he was shut out last night, Thielen has come on leaps and bounds and looks a good bet for a start. Mobo (the german lad) hasn't started and will do well to get a practice squad place.

Run game - it's all on AP, the O Line didnt show much last night and Mckinnon picked up scant few yards. Local boy CJ Ham did do some positive things and broke out for a few 10 yd carries but in reality I can't see him unseating Asiata, Mckinnon or the main man. To keep him involved we'd need to bench Zach Line. Is that happening? I doubt it.

Chargers up next, hope to see more of Teddy. Hill did a reasonable job last night, Joel Stave looked like a 3rd stringer trying to get up to speed but he's young and looked serviceable. Just.

Big improvement in production from the TEs last night, def a positive take away. Surprisingly Patterson looked sharp to, at least he picked up some good yd'age off a couple of screen plays. Would be nice if dinking the ball off to him and letting him pick up yds after the catch/screen play became a real option during the season...nice outlet to dump off to when a play breaks down maybe. He looked sharp and enthusiastic.

Has Mobo not even seen the field on O?? is he on special teams at least? I've been checking the stat sheet after each game to see does he have a catch but none yet.

Thanks for the update, Magico. I find the preseason games tough to watch so tend to just read reports.

I think our defence is going to be good to great this season. We have some serious ingredients in the line, at linebacker and in the secondary.

Offensively, our receivers look okay at best. We need a good season from AP and we need Teddy to step up.

Can it happen? I think there is a chance if we keep our main men fit and healthy.

Given how good our D is, I find it hard to foresee a losing record this season.

Receivers - Thielen looked good last night, CP4 did enough to suggest that there are some grounds for optimism!

A lot depends on how Treadwell starts, hope to get a better look vs the Chargers when Bridgewater gets a full game.

• Advertisement

Receivers - Thielen looked good last night, CP4 did enough to suggest that there are some grounds for optimism!

A lot depends on how Treadwell starts, hope to get a better look vs the Chargers when Bridgewater gets a full game.

Advertisement