Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin City Council - Bin Collection Privatised/Greyhound Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

When I was with Greyhound my green bin was stolen and they charged me €40 to replace it so, afaiac, the client owns the bins.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 jenny444s

Hi,

I am about to move to artane and want to figure out what household bin collection company to sign up with. Thing is although I can find lots of companies I don't see any of their websites mentioning covering the artane area. Can anyone let me know what companies I should check out?

Thanks,

Jenny

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

jenny444s wrote: »
    Hi,

I am about to move to artane and want to figure out what household bin collection company to sign up with. Thing is although I can find lots of companies I don't see any of their websites mentioning covering the artane area. Can anyone let me know what companies I should check out?

Thanks,

Jenny

Merged with the bin privitisation thread

I'd try Citybin, if you go to their website and search your address, you can find out if they look after your area. I'm a very happy customer, it's like night and day between them and Greyhound

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. Yes I had tried citybins but the reply says they don't cover that area. None of the websites indicate that they cover the artane area though. Very frustrating!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

Well Greyhound definitely do because they do collections on behalf of Dublin City Council now. Try Oxigen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭alexonhisown

jenny444s wrote: »
    Hi,

Thanks for the reply. Yes I had tried citybins but the reply says they don't cover that area. None of the websites indicate that they cover the artane area though. Very frustrating!

I would ring citybin to check. I have seen lots of red bins around artane area.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

Can someone clarify this for me please,
    I'm told that greyhound will only collect their own brand clear plastic recycling bags(€9 a roll?)
    Yet my local shop sells the same bags and these ones are biodegradable, for €3.

Will they accept them?
    Thanks in advance.

david75 wrote: »
    Can someone clarify this for me please,
    I'm told that greyhound will only collect their own brand clear plastic recycling bags(€9 a roll?)
    Yet my local shop sells the same bags and these ones are biodegradable, for €3.

Will they accept them?
    Thanks in advance.

I doubt it. The reason they're €9 is a method of paying for collection.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,142 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Bring your recycling bags to the Dublin City Council centres in Ringsend and North Strand and drop them for free.
    Don't give Greyhound a penny.

I've got one nearby in grangegorman. Not sure if they accept them. Must ask.
    Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

I've got one nearby in grangegorman. Not sure if they accept them. Must ask.
    Thanks!

http://www.dublinwaste.ie/bring_bank.php?fac_pid=7

There's a list of what they accept in the above link.

I would ring citybin to check. I have seen lots of red bins around artane area.

Thanks! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 38 supergunner

I just got a letter from a collection agency based in Cork called PayAway for outstanding balances on behalf of Dublin City Council. Anybody else get one?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Ciarok

Mr Simpson wrote: »
    I doubt it. The reason they're €9 is a method of paying for collection.

Greyhound collected recycling waste in clear bags until last year.
    Now they absolutely insist on their branded bags at 3Eu a clip.
    Waste not in these bags is not collected.

Where can I buy these bags? We're about to run out of the ones we had.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

AFAIK you have to buy them from Greyhound. Good luck getting them; I used to be left waiting months for them to arrive. They seem to be as on-the-ball with posting the bags out as they are with everything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Ciarok

Where can I buy these bags? We're about to run out of the ones we had.

We are still using the "old" stock. The bags are sold in 3's, I think, probably in the same outlets that sell the red bin stickers.

It is dreadful racketeering by Greyhound.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,240 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Does anybody know where is selling the red bin tags in D8?

Usually get them in Spar on Patrick St., none tonight, nowhere along Clanbrassil St. had them either.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Big Game

Anyone else not have their bags collected yesterday? In Dublin 1 and using the recycling bags rather than bins. Can see something on the google results saying the below but when I click into the site there's nothing there......

July 11th, 2013. The following areas were unfortunately not collected yesterday due to ... Read More

Awful service, not the first time this has happened, used to be a page on their site you could mail about that sort of thing but you need an account number to use it now and we don't have one as we're using the bags.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,332 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

The link is about Terenure

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭mcbert

Sorry, think I know the answer to this, but just want to confirm. Anywhere Greyhound are responsible for black and green bins, aren't they also responsible for brown bins? They own all three? Yes? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭zynaps

Has anyone in North Dublin had their Oxigen bins collected recently? Ours were out for collection from Thursday night until Saturday afternoon, and were never lifted.

I've had to call them 4 times about this:
    1) Friday evening, when they said "leave them out and they'll be picked up later this evening" - didn't happen.
    2) Saturday afternoon, left my number and asked them to get back to me with an explanation - didn't happen.
    3) Monday morning, a guy acknowledged that the "trucks had problems" and promised to call me back - didn't happen.
    4) Tuesday evening at 7:15pm, automated voicemail tells me that the line is closed, and their opening hours are 8am to 8pm Mon-Fri...

Not impressed...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭zynaps

Followup, now called Oxigen six times without resolving the issue:

5) Got through to someone who said he was in Dundalk but would call the Dublin office and ring me back personally. Didn't happen.
    6) Called at 19:34 on Thursday evening (today) and was again told by a machine that the customer line was closed and that its hours are 8am to 8pm, so left the third voicemail message asking them to call me back (the last two were ignored). Unbelievable.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,595 ✭✭✭Meauldsegosha

I got a cheque from Greyhound today. Its a refund of what was left in my account when I closed it. I never asked for a refund because I didn't expect to get one. I'm shocked to say the least!! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭golfman

Has anyone else experienced this?

I changed over to City Bin Co (the red bins) around 3 or 4 months ago. When cancelling our Greyhound contract we were told they would be collecting their bins within 2 weeks.

I started contacting them 2 months ago and have had numerous promises of them collecting their bins and still nothing.

Its starting to p*ss me off now as I literally have 6 bins lined up outside my house and it just looks a bit of a mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭OU812

Email them & give them a week to pick up & that you're no longer responsible for them after this.

If they haven't done so, put an ad in done deal, free to take away, they'll be snapped up.

If greyhound come looking for them, tell them you thought they'd picked them up.

Threads Merged, some more info here

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭mcbert

golfman wrote: »

I changed over to City Bin Co (the red bins) around 3 or 4 months ago. When cancelling our Greyhound contract we were told they would be collecting their bins within 2 weeks.

I started contacting them 2 months ago and have had numerous promises of them collecting their bins and still nothing.

Its starting to p*ss me off now as I literally have 6 bins lined up outside my house and it just looks a bit of a mess.

I got them to remove bins within maybe two to three weeks by emailing them every few days, and in each email reminding them of my options: 1. dumping the bins myself and charging Greyhound for it, 2. charging Greyhound a storage fee, 3. bringing the bins myself to their head office, dumping them at their door.

Got those suggestions from some other post here on boards somewhere.

Herself thought my emails made me sound like an ass, I thought they were polite but firm. It did the job!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭TM

Apologies if it's been mentioned before but I can't see that it was...

Greyhound recently increased the cost of bag labels from €10.50 for 3 (€3.50 each) to €10.95 for 3 (€3.65 each).

http://greyhound.ie/bag-customer/

But are they also saying here that the "pay as you go" (no annual charge) bag label option is going to disappear?!?!

http://greyhound.ie/landfill-levy-increase/
    As stated above the domestic waste labels will be gradually phased out of production and further communication from Greyhound will be forthcoming once we have launch dates confirmed.

Anybody know what the "pay as you go" bag label options are in D7? Just Greyhound and Allen waste removal or are there others?

Thanks a lot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭CPSW

golfman wrote: »

I am in the same boat as you. Myself and my gf are renting for the first time and the previous occupier of the house cancelled their account with this shower of clowns, and had arranged for the bins to be collected.

It's now 7 weeks later and the bins are still sitting outside of the house. I've called them on numerous occasions, and have been promised that they are to be collected soon, but nothing as of yet. :mad:

Worst thing is that City Bins do not collect in our area (Belmayne, which is strange as they collect in Clarehall across the road), and I've heard great things about them, so the only player in town for us (as far as I know), is Greyhound.

Advertisement