Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin City Council - Bin Collection Privatised/Greyhound Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭zynaps

CPSW wrote: »
    I am in the same boat as you. Myself and my gf are renting for the first time and the previous occupier of the house cancelled their account with this shower of clowns, and had arranged for the bins to be collected.

It's now 7 weeks later and the bins are still sitting outside of the house. I've called them on numerous occasions, and have been promised that they are to be collected soon, but nothing as of yet. :mad:

I gave up calling them after several broken promises to pick them up, so I've had two useless bins from Greyhound sitting outside for about a year now. Will have to figure out something useful to do with them :P

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭DecTenToo

zynaps wrote: »
    I gave up calling them after several broken promises to pick them up, so I've had two useless bins from Greyhound sitting outside for about a year now. Will have to figure out something useful to do with them :P

It took 3 months of weekly phone calls, emails and letters before my old bins were finally picked up.

The citybin ones arrived earlier than scheduled and I've had no issues regarding missed pick up.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

zynaps wrote: »

Same here. My brother says he has a use for them, but I think I'm just going to chop them up and put them in the Thornton's recycling bin.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭CPSW

Thanks for the replies folks, (not really!) good to hear that there are people in a similar position as myself. Will keep on bombarding them with calls and emails, but if I don't get anywhere with them, zynaps, I'm sure we might find some use for them!

Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭druidstone

CPSW wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies folks, (not really!) good to hear that there are people in a similar position as myself. Will keep on bombarding them with calls and emails, but if I don't get anywhere with them, zynaps, I'm sure we might find some use for them!

Cheers
    if it was me i would be careful, they might charge you for the bins.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,595 ✭✭✭Meauldsegosha

I haven't been with greyhound since the beginning of the year but I have started receiving texts from them reminding me to put my bin out. They never sent me texts when I was a customer :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭crazypanda

We are with greyhound and they are very non transparent with their pricing in my opinion. We have already paid more than last year and I would reckon the bins have gone out less. I'm totally sick of it but it seems there is no alternative for our area. City Bins even advertised at the bus shelter at the end of our road earlier in the year and they don't cover the area (Dublin 7).

• Registered Users Posts: 22,066 ✭✭✭✭Esel

crazypanda wrote: »
    We are with greyhound and they are very non transparent with their pricing in my opinion. We have already paid more than last year and I would reckon the bins have gone out less. I'm totally sick of it but it seems there is no alternative for our area. City Bins even advertised at the bus shelter at the end of our road earlier in the year and they don't cover the area (Dublin 7).
    Oxigen?

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭TM

Do Greyhound not provide you with some sort of statement or online account to clarify charges and expenditure?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭crazypanda

TM wrote: »
    Do Greyhound not provide you with some sort of statement or online account to clarify charges and expenditure?

Not an accurate one. It's went to list all the collections and weights for the year and half of them don't even appear. We weren't informed of the price hike per lift nor were we about the fixed amount per month change on our account. Calling them up is a joke.

I'll have to call around again in the next few weeks but last time I did, no other provider covered our street!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭vikingdub

I haven't been with greyhound since the beginning of the year but I have started receiving texts from them reminding me to put my bin out. They never sent me texts when I was a customer :rolleyes:

There could be some data protection implications there, personal data may only be used for the purpose for which it was collected as you are no longer a customer of GH they have no valid reason to maintain your data in an active database.

You have a couple of options, one call them and tell them to stop sending texts and using your personal data for a purpose other that that for which it was collected. If you receive another text complain to the Office of Data Protection regulator. Or you could send a request to GH with a cheque/P.O, for €6.35 (I think, you would need to check the actual amount) seeking all information held by them on you, paper, electronic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭TM

Not an accurate one. It's went to list all the collections and weights for the year and half of them don't even appear. We weren't informed of the price hike per lift nor were we about the fixed amount per month change on our account. Calling them up is a joke.

I'll have to call around again in the next few weeks but last time I did, no other provider covered our street!
    Would pay as you go bag collection suit you? If so then Allen Waste Removals and KeyWaste definitely cover most of D7.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭CPSW

Good news in the end, it only took about 11 weeks, but after numerous emails, calls (I was being that annoying customer who would never go away), the bins were collected by Greyhound.

Their customer service is absolutely shocking, I shall never give them any business in the future!

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭golfman

Its been 3 months now for me........ emails every 2 weeks. Absolute joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Paddytheman

Had almost 3 months of this myself, kept sending follow up mails as you would with any decently run customer service department but nothing happening so my good lady wife called them on a Friday, got a bit emotional with the lady on the other end(I told her she was wasting her time) and there was a knock on my front door at 11am Saturday collecting them..

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭DecTenToo

It took me a few months of emails and phone calls. The customer support people acted professionally and tried to be helpful but something was happening between them and the people who were picking up the bins.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,189 ✭✭✭jos28

I switched to City Bins last December after numerous problems with Greyhound. My City Bins contract is now up for renewal, I got the introductory €99 deal. Anyone know what they will be charging for 2014 ? I got a phone call and email from Greyhound who are offering a 'Win back deal' of €120 for the year. Did anyone else get that call ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭deandean

jos28 wrote: »
    I switched to City Bins last December after numerous problems with Greyhound. My City Bins contract is now up for renewal, I got the introductory €99 deal. Anyone know what they will be charging for 2014 ? I got a phone call and email from Greyhound who are offering a 'Win back deal' of €120 for the year. Did anyone else get that call ?
    I haven't got calls yet from anybody but after paying 250 to greyhound last year I am open to offers.

deandean wrote: »
    I haven't got calls yet from anybody but after paying 250 to greyhound last year I am open to offers.

Tell them you are switching over to someone else and see what they offer ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭Rebelheart

Two questions:

1) Does Greyhound have an ordinary 01 number as opposed to this "Lo call 1890" sham that costs me, and all other bill phone users, money? All I can get on their 'Contacts' page is a 1890 number. Just how much money are they making from 1890 numbers that they refuse to tell us the 01 number? (are you even charged for ringing a 1890 number when you receive an automated message?)

2) The reason I wanted to ring them: is the brown bin collected with the black bin rather than with the green bin? I left the brown bin with the green this morning and it wasn't collected so I'm wondering is that the reason.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭vikingdub

Rebelheart wrote: »
    Two questions:

1) Does Greyhound have an ordinary 01 number as opposed to this "Lo call 1890" sham that costs me, and all other bill phone users, money? All I can get on their 'Contacts' page is a 1890 number. Just how much money are they making from 1890 numbers that they refuse to tell us the 01 number? (are you even charged for ringing a 1890 number when you receive an automated message?)

2) The reason I wanted to ring them: is the brown bin collected with the black bin rather than with the green bin? I left the brown bin with the green this morning and it wasn't collected so I'm wondering is that the reason.

Try these

Kind Regards,

Paul Moloney
    General Manager

download?mid=2%5f0%5f0%5f1%5f507946%5fAPLTi2IAAYL1UWZapAqqjSpY1pI&pid=2&fid=Inbox&inline=1&appid=yahoomail

Crag Avenue, Clondalkin Industrial Estate, Clondalkin, D22

Main Ph 01 457 7777 Option 4 / Ext 211
    Direct Ph: 01 461 2811
    Fax 01 419 6882

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭nudger

I went with city bin around the same time, the next year was to be €150 + a charge per kilo over 50 on the gray bin.

I got an email from city bin in relation to greyhound contacting me or sharing my data with other companies and an attached letter to send to greyhound quoting data protection.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭scholes

nudger wrote: »
    I went with city bin around the same time, the next year was to be €150 + a charge per kilo over 50 on the gray bin.

I got an email from city bin in relation to greyhound contacting me or sharing my data with other companies and an attached letter to send to greyhound quoting data protection.

I am currently with city bin, and got the 99 euro offer. I contacted them and they told me the following.

They have 2 options City Light option (€12.50/month, 25kg black bin) and the City Standard (€15/month, up to 45kg in your black bin) . brown and green are free.

If you go over that limit , it will be 30 cent per kilo.

Personally I think 45 kilos a month is easy to go over, I know people out there will think differently and that's their opinion which I respect.

I was willing to stay with them and pay the 15 a month but I think this weight charge will send me back to Greyhound. It's sad as I think they give a great service.:(.

I think greyhound are doing it for 12.50 a month now , I'm not sure about weight charges though , but I think it is back to Greyhound for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

There is nothing that would drive me back to Greyhound, Ever.

I'd rather drive my rubbish to the dump myself than give them my money!

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭pauld

Anyone else receive a threatening letter from Payaway Debt Management alleging that their client is DCC and that I owe money for bin lifts in Nov And Dec 2011.

They have threatened me with a Stubbs Gazette listing. I cannot recall receiving an invoice from DCC nor any reminders.

I thought I had paid all my bin charges overt the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭zynaps

pauld wrote: »
    Anyone else receive a threatening letter from Payaway Debt Management alleging that their client is DCC and that I owe money for bin lifts in Nov And Dec 2011.

They have threatened me with a Stubbs Gazette listing. I cannot recall receiving an invoice from DCC nor any reminders.
    Yes, I got two such letters. In my case however, I hadn't paid DCC - my last dealing with them was just before the (disastrous, IMO) handover to Greyhound and I'd applied for a bin standing charge waiver. Six months after sending the application, I got a letter saying that they were finally processing their backlog and suggesting that I pay anyway, to be refunded "eventually".

Upon receiving the second letter threatening me with a listing in this extortion-enabling "gazette", I paid them online just to avoid the hassle of dealing with them. Never got any confirmation from them, come to think of it.

I'm still waiting for City Bins to ring me with their 2014 charges. Don't like the sound of the City Lite or Standard. I know my bins would never keep under the 45kg limit. I don't want to go back to Greyhound but €120 all in for the year is very tempting

• Registered Users Posts: 4,712 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

I'm still waiting for City Bins to ring me with their 2014 charges. Don't like the sound of the City Lite or Standard. I know my bins would never keep under the 45kg limit. I don't want to go back to Greyhound but €120 all in for the year is very tempting

I will never go back to Greyhound,

They make it so difficult to leave at the end of the contract that is one of the issues I have with them. Who knows how much they will charge to collect the bins if you want to finish up with them at the end of the year.

I also find city bin staff way more approachable and friendly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

They contacted me too, I would be worried how much they would charge for you to leave them if you have to break contract for any reason, how much would a full bin normally weigh?

• Advertisement

I will never go back to Greyhound,

They make it so difficult to leave at the end of the contract that is one of the issues I have with them. Who knows how much they will charge to collect the bins if you want to finish up with them at the end of the year.

I also find city bin staff way more approachable and friendly.

Good points Babyscoffee. Just realised too that the weights of my old Greyhound bins were high because I only left it out once a month. With CB I will be putting the bin out every fortnight and that would obviously be lighter.

Advertisement