Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin City Council - Bin Collection Privatised/Greyhound Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

All Black & Brown bins have a chip embedded in them which is scanned when presented to the truck to see if the account is up to date.

Green bin service was free to all with DCC - didn't matter if you paid or not so they never bothered putting chips in the green bin - Greyhound won't collect your green bin if your account isn't in order so they send a label for the green bin for paying customers. So only the green bins require a new label.

Hope this makes sense;-)

A chip, in the bin, well holy god! What next, internet on computers?!

Thanks for the info

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 roke2468

Petition here - please sign.

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/grehound-recycling/

Petition text:

Petition to escalate service and transparency issues of Greyhound recycling service

Sign here if you have had enough of Greyhound.

- Bins uncollected.

- Patronising customer service making false promises.

- Patronising and extortionate charge structure.

And so on.

For myself I used to put out a small black bin less than once a month at 6.50 a pop. This cost me 65-70 a year. They tried to tell me I would save money with their new charges. What patronising twaddle. I would have paid the yearly charge plus 13.95 a lift (my average weight is 45kg). - Thorntons do the lift for 4.35 euro! Even though I have changed provider I still have my old bins sitting outside my gate for months because Greyhound won't collect them despite repeated ringing.

I know everyone is having problems. Here are a large number of complaints in one place. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056510601

There are others.

TIME TO PUT AN END TO THIS. ENOUGH.

Sign this petition and let your County Manager know of your grievances. (Joe Horan for SDCC - jhoran@sdublincoco.ie). Also, the Mayor, Caitriona Jones ( cjones@SDUBLINCOCO.ie) and a local councillor (Mine is John Lahart - jlahart@SDUBLINCOCO.ie).

Email this petition on to your address book. Thank you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 roke2468

I know there are a number of threads on Greyhound recycling and the problems associated with them.

But this thread is to make a petition to strengthen a representation to the proper authorities.

Petition here - please sign.

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/grehound-recycling/

Petition text:

Sign here if you have had enough of Greyhound.

- Bins uncollected.

- Patronising customer service making false promises.

- Patronising and extortionate charge structure.

And so on.

For myself I used to put out a small black bin less than once a month at 6.50 a pop. This cost me 65-70 a year. They tried to tell me I would save money with their new charges. What patronising twaddle. I would have paid the yearly charge plus 13.95 a lift (my average weight is 45kg). - Thorntons do the lift for 4.35 euro! Even though I have changed provider I still have my old bins sitting outside my gate for months because Greyhound won't collect them despite repeated ringing.

I know everyone is having problems. Here are a large number of complaints in one place. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056510601

There are others.

TIME TO PUT AN END TO THIS. ENOUGH.

Sign this petition and let your County Manager know of your grievances. (Joe Horan for SDCC - jhoran@sdublincoco.ie). Also, the Mayor, Caitriona Jones ( cjones@SDUBLINCOCO.ie) and a local councillor (Mine is John Lahart - jlahart@SDUBLINCOCO.ie).

Email this petition on to your address book. Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to the Dublin forum for merging. There's no need to have multiple threads open.

dudara

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭gaius c

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    I have bags,and according to the letter I got from Greyhound/DCC about the changeover, and the girl I spoke to in Greyhound on the phone, there will be no €100 standing charge for collection of bags (for now anyway, who knows what'll happen in six months time).

We will have to buy Greyhound tags for the "black" bags, same as we had to buy the DCC ones before, after 16th March. (Of course, I have about four of them left, at €3 a pop, and only put a black bag out ever eight weeks or so :mad::mad:)

We're in the same position. About 3 tags left but at least we won't have to pay this silly standing charge.

If they do change that, we'll just get the folks on our street to go with a different company.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Noopti

DCC just came out and collected ALL my old bins (Green, Brown, Black).

Just email them and they will collect them all, I emailed them yesterday. They even took the brown bin even though I hadn't got around to taking some waste out of it. Looks like DCC are on a bit of a PR thing right now, so are being extra helpful. Greyhound might want to do something similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 supergunner

I signed up with Oxygen last week for option 3 paid for first three lifts upfront and within one week the new bins arrived. So far so good. I am in D17. I emailed DCC and Greyhound to sort out removal of old bins. I wonder how long that will take....

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭The Fool

Looks like they are collecting bins and leaving a "warning letter"
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0216/dublin.html

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭lardossan

delighted to have paid Greyhound upfront and not have had any problem whatsoever with them only to see the usual suspects getting bailed out at the last minute. Hope they will carry those warnings through.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,894 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

http://www.independent.ie/opinion/columnists/shane-ross/shane-ross-stench-as-rubbish-firm-wins-3017015.html

This was posted on another thread - Shane Ross with some background on the whole transfer debacle. Gobsmacking, depressing stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭eboarde

DCC also collected all my bins (incl Green) yesterday a day after I emailed them.

Thanks DCC :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,055 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

The Fool wrote: »
    Looks like they are collecting bins and leaving a "warning letter"
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0216/dublin.html
    I'm fully paid up and my black bin was collected this morning but there was a label attached to the bin -
    We have collected your bin on this occasion. To ensure continuation of service please ring ........
    Funny isn't it? They think they're doing you a favour or something!

• Registered Users Posts: 32 ElectroSpex

The bins on our street (in Drumcondra) still haven't been collected.. left them out last night and this morning all the bins on the road are still full. This is ridiculous, I really need those flippin' bins gone!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

The bins on our street (in Drumcondra) still haven't been collected.. left them out last night and this morning all the bins on the road are still full. This is ridiculous, I really need those flippin' bins gone!

Do you know why they didn't? Since they collected in other areas?

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Fizzlesque

On the 1st of February I sent my first email to Greyhound informing them I wouldn't be availing of their service and enquiring about the removal of the unwanted bins. It's now the 17th of February and I still have unwanted bins in my garden. I have been asked by three different Greyhound staff members (via 3 seperate email response) to forward my address, which I have done three times; on the 6th of Fsebruary, and again on the 9th of February, and today. Fingers crossed third time is lucky and this fiasco will soon be over.

If it's this difficult for them to systematically read and respond to email queries, and subsequently remove the bins, I don't envy those of you who are depending on them to collect your full bins on a regular basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 ElectroSpex

I really have no idea why they haven't collected them. It's our landlord's responsibility to sort out bin payments but I know that's done, considering they don't understand why they're not collecting the bins either and have had to come down and empty them themselves a couple of times.

Latest information regarding the (permanent)removal of bins: I have received an email telling me that ALL bins will be removed this weekend - either Saturday or Sunday.

Also, I have a query re. Boards.ie.

Does the site periodically (sometimes very short periods) log your account off? I've had to log back in many times even though I didn't log myself off. Is this normal?

• Registered Users Posts: 29 DeadSetKid

Hi, does anyone here live in the Liberties area of Dublin or know anyone that lives in the Liberties area of Dublin (Dublin 8ish) that is/was effected by the bin mix-up?

I am doing a short article for a student newspaper on the issue

Thanks a million,

Jonathan

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭cruais

We recently bought our house a few months back and never received any information in the post from greyhound. It's an old house and all my neighbours have received and I think paid everything as their bins are being collected.

I have contacted greyhound 3 times and received no response from them. So now I am left with a bin not being collected, while they are releasing press statements saying if houses have not registered, it's too late now and your bin won't be collected.

Does anyone know what I should do? I'm at a loss end now.

I looked up oxigen.ie but they don't seem to collect in Dublin!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭neonman

Living Clontarf area (D3) and I'm trying to find a waste company that will collect our black/green bins as I'm not to keen on giving Greyhound the business. As of yet I can't find one.

Does anybody know of one?

cruais wrote: »
    I have contacted greyhound 3 times and received no response from them. So now I am left with a bin not being collected, while they are releasing press statements saying if houses have not registered, it's too late now and your bin won't be collected.

Does anyone know what I should do? I'm at a loss end now.

I looked up oxigen.ie but they don't seem to collect in Dublin!

My advice would be to thank your lucky stars you haven't signed up with Greyhound and investigate a few of the alternatives. Oxigen do collect in Dublin - when this fiasco first kicked off, Greyhound were the only company servicing North Dublin and, I presume due to demand, there are now a few others servicing North Dublin.

I'm not well versed on who charges what or who is good to go with as I've decided to take care of my waste management needs myself but some of my neighbours (Finglas area) have had Oxigen bins delivered this week and there are a few posts on this thread (bit of a trawl to read it all, but worth doing if you're confused about which company to go with) or Google 'waste management Dublin' and ring a few of the companies that come up.

Most of all, don't panic. You can bring a bag of household waste to Northstrand or Ringsend recycling centre (costs €4 - plastic/paper etc is free) in the meantime if your bin is full.

Forget Greyhound, they're useless. I've been trying to get them to take away my old/unwanted bins and the level of incompetence involved in that small matter has made me real glad I'm not relying on them to empty my bins on a regular basis.

Good luck. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,032 ✭✭✭✭tk123

They don't collect them under cover of darkness lol - they've been collecting ours up off Botanic ave in the ealry afternoon. In fairness they used to do them around 6:30-7:00..

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Ernest

neonman wrote: »
    Living Clontarf area (D3) and I'm trying to find a waste company that will collect our black/green bins as I'm not to keen on giving Greyhound the business. As of yet I can't find one.

Does anybody know of one?

Not certain about Clontarf but, in nearby Raheny, Oxigen definitely are interested in new business. Their rates are good but it depends on what your usage of bins is. Also there is a neighbour who has been using Panda for a long time. So there is a choice if you don't like Greyhound.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭vicadd

I'm in Raheny. Rang Oxigen up on Tuesday, they delivered new bins on Thursday and sent me a text that night to remind me to leave out bins to be collected today. Pretty good service and great customer service on phone and email when I contacted them with queries.
    €20 a month for Green and Black bin which works out cheaper than Greyhound as we put our bins always go out when due to be collected.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,745 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

tk123 wrote: »
    They don't collect them under cover of darkness lol .

Bizarrely, they do collect them after dark. They finally picked up my brown bin at 1745 this evening.

They weren't going to pick it up; they stopped the truck, looked at my bin and started driving away, but luckily my wife was passing on her way home from work, stopped them and remonstrated with them until they emptied the bin.

I've no idea what they're up to.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,032 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Wow that's LATE! Madness too - they'll hold up the traffic! I paid mine when we got the letter - i must log in and see if I've been charged for the 2 collections - since they're collecting others for free! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Andrew Campbell

Having trawled the Internet searching for quotes from service providers I thought people might like to see what I found out. I realise that this is not the whole picture but is the information as appears on each company’s website to the best of my knowledge, please post an update if you know different and I'll amend accordingly. Having unsuccessfully tried to cut and paste the tables into this post I've resorted to attaching them as a word document. i hope you can open it, However here are my results based on my projected usage
    city bins per lift rate €138.00
    thorntons240ltr bin €146.00
    access pay by lift 240ltr €152.50
    greyhound 140ltr bin €162.00
    greyhound 240ltr bin €170.00
    access pay by lift 140ltr €172.50
    access Budget €195.00
    city bins fixed fee €199.00
    ozo Band A 140ltr x 26 €248.00
    city bins per kg €286.00
    access standard €295.00
    panda DL/R €304.00
    ozo Band B 240ltr x 26 €306.50

Quite a variety of prices
    If people want to post up their own estimated annual usage i will gladly do the calculations for them also

• Registered Users Posts: 22,035 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Fizzlesque wrote: »
    Also, I have a query re. Boards.ie.

Does the site periodically (sometimes very short periods) log your account off? I've had to log back in many times even though I didn't log myself off. Is this normal?
    You have to click / tick the Remember Me box to stay logged in. If you do, however, be aware that anyone else using your computer who accesses Boards will appear to be you .....

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,035 ✭✭✭✭Esel

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    http://www.independent.ie/opinion/columnists/shane-ross/shane-ross-stench-as-rubbish-firm-wins-3017015.html

This was posted on another thread - Shane Ross with some background on the whole transfer debacle. Gobsmacking, depressing stuff.
    How the f... can this *edmondesque clique be stopped?

Not your ornery onager

Advertisement