Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin City Council - Bin Collection Privatised/Greyhound Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,672 ✭✭✭Delta2113

DecTenToo wrote: »
    Has anyone received their Green Bin ID labels?

- No and a letter sent from Greyhound had said "you will receive before January 30th 2012."

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭donegalgirl28

For anyone thinking about making the switch to Oxigen and thinking of going for Option 2 or 3, the green bin is NOT FREE.

They don't collect your green bins regularly but only when you put them out with the black bin. So if you put it out on it's own, then you will get charged €8.65 or €14.

Have to reconsider my options now as my green bin fills up a lot, every 2 weeks or so but my black one fills up every 5 weeks or so. Wish Thortons did Finglas/Glasnevin! Any other waste services in this area?

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭KNO3

tomasrojo wrote: »
    I tried once again to put out my brown bin in Dublin 8. This time I was at home and saw the Greyhound truck approaching, and I went out to talk to them. The binman admitted to me that they would not collect brown bins on this occasion, and that he knew that they hadn't been collected two weeks ago either.

When asked when they would collect brown bins, he would not be drawn, but directed me to Greyhound's helpline. I rang the helpline, and logged another non-collection.

This isn't very good service so far.

Brown bins not collected in Terenure area yesterday either, black bins were collected alright. Probably pointless me ringing them as I'm sure they know well. Annoyed:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Delta2113 wrote: »
    - No and a letter sent from Greyhound had said "you will receive before January 30th 2012."

Got mine today. Maybe they meant, they send the sticker out at the 30th of January?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,672 ✭✭✭Delta2113

Yes got my sticker today as well. They have me down as having a big green bin when i only have a small green bin. Do you think they would change it for me for free from small to big?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭DecTenToo

Ah, good. Got the sticker today, along with an Oxigen flyer in the post :D

• Registered Users Posts: 28,860 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Delta2113 wrote: »
    Yes got my sticker today as well. They have me down as having a big green bin when i only have a small green bin. Do you think they would change it for me for free from small to big?

Good luck with that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭steamengine

DecTenToo wrote: »
    Has anyone received their Green Bin ID labels?

From Greyhound - Yes ! In fact 2 ID labels, why 2 - I don't know, I've only 1 green bin. They arrived yesterday ! D13

• Registered Users Posts: 2 bohsman38

I have an outstanding balance with DCC . Does anyone know if Greyhound will be taking DCC`s bad debts with them?:confused:

Yes They will, I presume at some stage they will say you owe x amount and wont collect your bins till you pay it. Just a guess but the way this is going thats what it looks like.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭lensman

bohsman38 wrote: »
    Yes They will, I presume at some stage they will say you owe x amount and wont collect your bins till you pay it. Just a guess but the way this is going thats what it looks like.:(
    Thats not correct, the DCC manager has stated that greyhound will seek to collect any out standing balance on behalf of DCC but it will not effect your new account with greyhound, ie: if your new greyhound acount is in credit they will collect your bins no matter how much you owe DCC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭eboarde

My Thornton's bins arrived yesterday in Rialto. I paid on Jan 25th.

Now I just have to get rid of my Greyhound bins!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,744 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Councillor Rebecca Moynihan has investigated the non-collection of brown bins on my road (Dublin 8, Kilmainham), and Greyhound have told her that they'll be collecting brown bins on Fridays. Not what their calendar said (or should I say calendars, since they sent me two different ones).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

Anyone using Ozo? Saw some of their trucks around yesterday, and they do D8 and D12. But I can't find prices on their website.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭sushisushi

KNO3 wrote: »
    Brown bins not collected in Terenure area yesterday either, black bins were collected alright. Probably pointless me ringing them as I'm sure they know well. Annoyed:mad:

Our black bins were collected yesterday (Friday) at about 8 in the morning, as I was going out, and I asked one of the binmen if the brown was going to be collected, as it's rightly stinky after not being emptied for so long. He said yes later on and I went off on my merry way. It hadn't been collected when I got home from work around 6:30pm, but I was too tired to drag it back in. Lo and behold, what do we hear about 9 or 10 that evening, only a bin truck, which proceeded to finally empty our bin! I reckon we were the only brown bin that had been collected in our estate yesterday, cos who the hell would expect them to be picking up bins at 9pm on a Friday night? So, they might be collecting, but so late that a lot of people have given up and taken the bins back in.

We finally got a green bin sticker with a big long letter explaining what looks like a totally different collection and pay system to the black/brown bins. Craziness, the whole lot of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭pumbah

Anyone using Ozo? Saw some of their trucks around yesterday, and they do D8 and D12. But I can't find prices on their website.

I signed up with Ozo in Dublin 6. - €162 for 26 small black bin lifts + green bins for the year - Other prices here: http://www.ozo.ie/app/index.php?task=product&cat_type_id=4&territory_id=1

I called Greyhound to find out about removal of the old DCC bins and apparently there's a €30 service charge to pick them up:eek: not impressed!

Any alternative suggestions for getting rid of the DCC bins? Anyone know if Ballymount etc accept them if I bring them there - would be worth it not to have to give the money to Greyhound...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,744 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Greyhound's green-bin sticker arrived today. To be fair, it has arrived in time before the cut-off (no green-bin collections without the sticker after mid-February; the 15th, I think).

No brown-bin collection on Friday, but I may have missed them, as I've no idea what time they're collecting at.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭sambuka41

pumbah wrote: »

I called Greyhound to find out about removal of the old DCC bins and apparently there's a €30 service charge to pick them up:eek: not impressed!

Any alternative suggestions for getting rid of the DCC bins? Anyone know if Ballymount etc accept them if I bring them there - would be worth it not to have to give the money to Greyhound...

Jesus this country is something else altogether. Imagine having to pay to NOT have a service. We are in the same position, but we went with Oxigen, they have been really helpful. At first they came out and put their stickers on the DCC bins so that we wouldn't miss a collection, now we have their bins. So we need to get rid of the DCC bins but I'm not paying.

I wonder if you have to pay to just leave them there?

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Ernest

I know that the deal that Dublin City Council did with Greyhound included the transfer of ownership of "our" bins to Greyhound. That means that Greyhound now own these dirty old bins. Therefore those who decide not to opt for Greyhound's service (and get new bins from another provider) cannot reasonably be expected to pay Greyhound €30 to take away Greyhounds property. On the contrary such households should be charging Greyhound rental for storing their dirty old bins.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

Ernest wrote: »
    I know that the deal that Dublin City Council did with Greyhound included the transfer of ownership of "our" bins to Greyhound. That means that Greyhound now own these dirty old bins. Therefore those who decide not to opt for Greyhound's service (and get new bins from another provider) cannot reasonably be expected to pay Greyhound €30 to take away Greyhounds property. On the contrary such households should be charging Greyhound rental for storing their dirty old bins.

Yeah everyone send them a bill for storage of these bins see what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Rebellious Jukebox

North Dublin people might be interested in this, although kinda relevant to everybody, Cllr Brian MacDowell and Cllr Larry O' Toole talk about the city managers decision on Near FM

http://nearpodcast.org/pcast/?p=4831

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭zacseph

Ok, so after all my calculating, and factoring in the cost of getting rid of the old bins, Greyhound actually came up as the cheapest option for me, as well as least trouble (already set up, and all) - so I said to heck with it and paid the money.
    <rant> So, our new collection day is wednesday. However yesterday, I hear the sound of a truck and it's greyhound - they stopped a bit down the road and then turned into another estate - I assumed it must be that estates day today - but last night I put out the bins and been home all day staring at them through the window. Absolutely no sign of greyhound.
    I did see however, some guy getting out of a large-ish van (can't remember the name on it) who proceeded to assemble a black bin and wheel it onto the path.
    My thinking is of course that one of the neighbours went with someone else and here's their new bin. Once he was gone, curiosity got the better of me and I had a look outside, and the bloody thing had my address across the top in permanent marker :eek: - besides that it was bare. Now I already have one of these but with a dublin city council mark on it and it's full of rubbish since it's not been collected yet, but I haven't a notion where this one came from :rolleyes:.</rant>

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭eboarde

In Dublin 8 and moved to Thorntons, Put out my Black bin yesterday and it was emptied as expected!

All I have to do now is get rid of the old council bins perhaps I could put them in the Thorntons bins and see if they are emptied?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 siggyc

I've asked Dublin City Council if they're going to get Greyhound to take away their old bins - maybe other people should do the same thing and we might get some reaction?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,763 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

siggyc wrote: »
    I've asked Dublin City Council if they're going to get Greyhound to take away their old bins - maybe other people should do the same thing and we might get some reaction?

Good idea. I will too.

D'ya think they would take them half full as they were when I found out about the changeover - don't fancy having to empty them!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭deelite

My brown bin has not been collected since greyhound took over!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭glanman

Good idea. I will too.

D'ya think they would take them half full as they were when I found out about the changeover - don't fancy having to empty them!

Black bins are collected next week and this is before the cut off point, the week after, so you can still put it out...

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Fizzlesque

QUOTE]

That's Greyhound's funniest one yet. They can kiss my $%* if they think I'll pay them to take them away. It might also explain why, after having been engaged in email communication with girl working in Greyhound <snip> she suddenly stopped replying to my emails when I told her I wouldn't be availing of Greyhound's service and wanted to know when they'd (and if they'd) be round to take the bins away. After two emails to her asking about this (no response) I emailed Greyhound twice and got no response. Then I rang DCC and was told to ring Greyhound as it's no concern of DCC anymore. Rang Greyhound and got a recorded message telling me to email them.

At this stage I've spent too much time and money emailing and phoning to try get the bins removed from my property. They could end up as some elaborate feature in my garden this summer - I'm sure they can be recycled into something, just don't know yet what. :)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

At this stage I've spent too much time and money emailing and phoning to try get the bins removed from my property. They could end up as some elaborate feature in my garden this summer - I'm sure they can be recycled into something, just don't know yet what. :)

they would be great for growing potatoes in or any other fruit/vegetable for that matter. much cheaper then buying ready made containers

• Registered Users Posts: 5,763 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Fizzlesque wrote: »

QUOTE]

That's Greyhound's funniest one yet. They can kiss my $%* if they think I'll pay them to take them away. It might also explain why, after having been engaged in email communication with girl working in Greyhound <snip> she suddenly stopped replying to my emails when I told her I wouldn't be availing of Greyhound's service and wanted to know when they'd (and if they'd) be round to take the bins away. After two emails to her asking about this (no response) I emailed Greyhound twice and got no response. Then I rang DCC and was told to ring Greyhound as it's no concern of DCC anymore. Rang Greyhound and got a recorded message telling me to email them.

I assume these bins were the property of Dublin City beforehand and now are Greyhounds.

What would be the legal status of returning the bins to Greyhound ourselves - they are in Clondalkin Industrial Estate - can they refuse (pun intended) to take back their own property?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Ernest

podgeand rodge:

On the point you raise, I suggest you read post No. 500 - its only 10 posts back and on the previous page to this one.

Advertisement