Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin City Council - Bin Collection Privatised/Greyhound Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,763 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Ernest wrote: »
    podgeand rodge:

On the point you raise, I suggest you read post No. 500 - its only 10 posts back and on the previous page to this one.

Thanks Ernest. I had actually read your post but interpreted it slightly wrongly.

When you say you know is this from some documentation or how do you have proof that Greyhound own the bins? Thanks.

Incidentally, I've emailed Dublin City Council asking them where the responsibility lies in taking these bins back and have copied this email to a few councillors.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Ernest

When you say you know is this from some documentation or how do you have proof that Greyhound own the bins? Thanks.

I know this to be the case because I saw the City Manager say so on the webcast of the meeting of Dublin City Council of 23rd January 2012. This long webcast is on the website of Dublin City Council at the following url:
    http://www.dublincity.public-i.tv/core/#webcast

The minutes of the meeting are on the website but report a much "redacted" version of what the City Manager said and do not include mention of what was said about bin ownership being given to Greyhound.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭deelite

irishbird wrote: »
    they would be great for growing potatoes in or any other fruit/vegetable for that matter. much cheaper then buying ready made containers

If you get the bins sparkling clean you can use it as a beer fridge keep the cans nice and cool......

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Incidentally, I've emailed Dublin City Council asking them where the responsibility lies in taking these bins back and have copied this email to a few councillors.
    Please let us know what they say; the front of my house now has 6 bins, and is looking very untidy.

kylith wrote: »
    Please let us know what they say; the front of my house now has 6 bins, and is looking very untidy.

4 councillors have replied and are raising the matter next week and will revert. One councillor stated that, as the rest of us think, the bins are owned now by Greyhound and it is their job to take them away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Ernest

Shane Ross in today's Sunday Independent launches a full-scale attack on Dublin City Council for
    (1) awarding the bin-collection contract to Greyhound despite previous dodgy-dealings of the latter with Irish Rail and because Greyhound itself converted to an unlimited company with Isle of Man shareholders to avoid normal disclosure of accounting information.
    (2) spending a six-figure amount on consultancy on the waste market. even though the Council itself would probably have the greatest concentration anywhere of detailed knowledge of the waste collection industry.
    (3) appointing for this wholly unnecessary consultancy exercise the firm Ernst & Young whom he regards as discredited due to their failures to identify irregularities in Anglo Irish Bank when they auditors there.
    The on-line link is here:
    http://www.independent.ie/opinion/columnists/shane-ross/shane-ross-stench-as-rubbish-firm-wins-3017015.html

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭JosDel

Greyhound never collected my green bags on Thursday, I emailed them to complain just got the usual auto reply mail, they sound like a right shower ):

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Richy06

Whilst I'd love to go back and read the 35+ pages on this thread, I'm just going to come out and ask instead!

I live in D8 (Inchicore). I share a house with some others, paying the landlord monthly. Now I wasn't the one dealing with that particular bill and the person who was has moved to New Zealand so I am really not up to speed with this whole situation, but it falls to me to deal with it. Are Greyhound the best option at 100 a year or are people finding other service providers cheaper/better et al?

Our black/brown bins haven't been collected in an age but the green bags have been. I'm a bit confused by the whole situation to be quite frank - not sure if it's me or the landlord who should be dealing with this for a start. Assuming it's me and I go pay Greyhound (who are next to impossible to get on the phone), do I just continue on with the bins I have or will they deliver new ones? Sorry for being such a bloody newb to all this, I just thought I'd see if anyone could shed some light as to what my options are. Cheers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

Ernest wrote: »
    spending a six-figure amount on consultancy on the waste market.
    What a ****ing joke. Why does everything in this country need to go to a bunch of overpaid private researchers before approval. surely Dub city would be as good an organisation as any in the state to carry out such a review of their own industry. Paying through the nose for someone who knows nothing about the industry to go find out about it and then report back to the actual industry professionals.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Paying through the nose for someone who knows nothing about the industry to go find out about it and then report back to the actual industry professionals.

because when it blows up in your face you can say that you recieved independent advice on it, most senior management tend to look on consultants the way the greeks looked on oracles :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

All

Dublin City Council have come back to me and stated:

"If you can email me your address I can arrange to have the black and brown bins removed".

I am replying to them to push them on why Greyhound are trying to charge. Also, what status of the green bin removal is.

email address is waste.management@dublincity.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭eboarde

I followed podgeandrodge's advice and emailed DCC.

I got a quick response saying that my brown and black would be collected.

However, they said I need to contact Greyhound to get the Green bin removed.

Thanks podgeandrodge:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Folks, can someone clear up the following. I was listening to the News at 1 just now and there was a TD on for Dublin south East (didn't catch her name) who mentioned about paying the 100 euro for the bins and bags.

Where i live its bags, so do we have to pay the 100 euro charge or not? Beacuse Greyhound's letter mentioned buying the new labels and nothing i've read or heard since says that we have to pay the €100 unless you have bins?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Noopti

I love Greyhound coming out with the threat to the 18,000 people who have not paid them. I wonder do they know how many of those 18k have actually decided to use another company?

Love seeing them get all threatening......and only wish more people would move away from them after the debacle this has been.

Edit: Oh and I also emailed DCC about taking away the Brown/Black bins. I will contact Greyhound about collecting the Green bin, and if they come out with the €30 charge crap I will just tell them I am bringing it to the dump as I don't want it on my property.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,893 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

chinguetti wrote: »
    Folks, can someone clear up the following. I was listening to the News at 1 just now and there was a TD on for Dublin south East (didn't catch her name) who mentioned about paying the 100 euro for the bins and bags.

Where i live its bags, so do we have to pay the 100 euro charge or not? Beacuse Greyhound's letter mentioned buying the new labels and nothing i've read or heard since says that we have to pay the €100 unless you have bins?

I have bags,and according to the letter I got from Greyhound/DCC about the changeover, and the girl I spoke to in Greyhound on the phone, there will be no €100 standing charge for collection of bags (for now anyway, who knows what'll happen in six months time).

We will have to buy Greyhound tags for the "black" bags, same as we had to buy the DCC ones before, after 16th March. (Of course, I have about four of them left, at €3 a pop, and only put a black bag out ever eight weeks or so :mad::mad:)

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭TMC99

Maybe a sill question - I was a residential customer with DCC using bins - however its uneconomic and messy as I have a small amount of waste - can I move to using bags and how do I do this ? Just start buying the bags (and dont pay the EUR 100) ?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Noopti wrote: »
    I love Greyhound coming out with the threat to the 18,000 people who have not paid them. I wonder do they know how many of those 18k have actually decided to use another company?

What threats?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,893 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

TMC99 wrote: »
    Maybe a sill question - I was a residential customer with DCC using bins - however its uneconomic and messy as I have a small amount of waste - can I move to using bags and how do I do this ? Just start buying the bags (and dont pay the EUR 100) ?

Don't think it works like that, I'm afraid - when they started dishing out wheelie bins some houses were left on the bag system due to having no side access or rear access - or in the case of my previous house they couldn't fit the bin truck up the tiny streets! I think the policy is to give everyone wheelie bins (and charge accordingly) and the (lucky) exceptions are the ones still using bags.
    Bambi wrote: »
    What threats?

Greyhound warning that 18,000 people haven't paid them the €100 euros yet, and after Thursday won't have their bins collected.

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭stevedublin

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Greyhound warning that 18,000 people haven't paid them the €100 euros yet, and after Thursday won't have their bins collected.

Good. Why should people who pay to have their waste removed subsidise those who expect everything for free?

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Fizzlesque

Fizzlesque wrote: »

I assume these bins were the property of Dublin City beforehand and now are Greyhounds.

What would be the legal status of returning the bins to Greyhound ourselves - they are in Clondalkin Industrial Estate - can they refuse (pun intended) to take back their own property?

Correct about whose property they now are. They are now Greyhound's property, according to the chap I spoke to in DCC.

As for depositing the bins at Greyhound, I have no idea how that would work out. However, today I finally received a reply from Greyhound re. the removal of the bins and all it said was (after the hollow apology for delay to reply) to email my address and account number and they'll 'process' it for me. No mention of a fee. How would they go about getting a fee from someone with no account? Sounds unworkable to me.

They probably don't want 18,000 second hand dirty bins - multiplied by three.

• Advertisement

Noopti wrote: »
    I love Greyhound coming out with the threat to the 18,000 people who have not paid them.

So do I. Well done Greyhound!

Fizzlesque wrote: »
    They are now Greyhound's property, according to the chap I spoke to in DCC.

which suggests that when DCC told me they would arrange for their collection they meant that they would ask Greyhound to collect them from me :p
    Good. Why should people who pay to have their waste removed subsidise those who expect everything for free?

In general that's a fair point. But in this case, when the service was transferred to Greyhound, a lot of people had to take time out to organise other suppliers of the service. This takes time - for example, I moved to Thorntons - who take 10 working days to set up an account and then 10 days to deliver bins.

I think it's fair that there is a time period where Greyhound have to pick up bins in this period.

In general that's a fair point. But in this case, when the service was transferred to Greyhound, a lot of people had to take time out to organise other suppliers of the service.

You could have gone with Greyhound, that would have been easier than transferring to Thorntons. Pay for your waste like everyone else.

You could have gone with Greyhound, that would have been easier than transferring to Thorntons.

Ehh? But isin't that the point of a free market with other suppliers - check which one suits your usage best? Thorntons were far cheaper, for me, based on my usage pattern than Greyhound.

Why therefore would I go with Greyhound? :confused: I am just waiting to change provider based on the decision of DCC to transfer their service.
    Pay for your waste like everyone else.

That's the response I would expect in response to someone saying they were trying to get away with free rubbish collection. I never made any such statement.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭The Toff

I'm on a street in Drumcondra and our black bins haven't been collected for weeks. Nearly every house has their bin out on the footpath, overflowing. They collect the green and brown just fine. I emailed them and am awaiting a response. We paid our upfront charge a few weeks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

The Toff wrote: »
    I'm on a street in Drumcondra and our black bins haven't been collected for weeks. Nearly every house has their bin out on the footpath, overflowing. They collect the green and brown just fine. I emailed them and am awaiting a response. We paid our upfront charge a few weeks ago.

+1. Just realised after registering with Greyhound, I received a green bin label. But no black bin label. Am I missing something really obvious here?

I don't know. I hope they respond to me tomorrow, or I'll give them a call. They haven't collected the black bins for our whole street! Is it the same by you?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

In an estate and we were told to leave bins out within the estate. Nothing collected until last week (green) so we will see about black next time out.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Redkilkenny

All Black & Brown bins have a chip embedded in them which is scanned when presented to the truck to see if the account is up to date.

Green bin service was free to all with DCC - didn't matter if you paid or not so they never bothered putting chips in the green bin - Greyhound won't collect your green bin if your account isn't in order so they send a label for the green bin for paying customers. So only the green bins require a new label.

Hope this makes sense;-)

• Advertisement

Well they just collected the black bins right there, 23:15! It was the first time they collected our bins on this whole street for over a month. Glad to know that all is well by us anyhow. I wish everyone else the best with the changeover.

Advertisement