Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin City Council - Bin Collection Privatised/Greyhound Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭The Toff

tk123 wrote: »
    They don't collect them under cover of darkness lol - they've been collecting ours up off Botanic ave in the ealry afternoon. In fairness they used to do them around 6:30-7:00..
    They collected mine close to midnight, in Drumcondra.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭aphex™

Greyhound took over the bins in South Dublin a while ago, you didn't hear any uproar about it. Just figure out how it works and pay it.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Cheezypuf

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    I have bags,and according to the letter I got from Greyhound/DCC about the changeover, and the girl I spoke to in Greyhound on the phone, there will be no €100 standing charge for collection of bags (for now anyway, who knows what'll happen in six months time).

Glad to hear that. I got no letter from anyone, and neither did my neighbours. I had presumed / hoped that as I buy bin tags I won't be required to register and leave €100 on deposit with them to avail of a free service.

When they collected the green wheelie bins the week before last they put notes on them saying that they wouldn't collect them again unless people had a barcode that can be obtained by registering on their website.

I emailed them a week ago for clarification, but needless to say they have failed to respond. There's a conflicting message emerging about the requirement for registration for users of bin tags and green wheelie bins. Greyhound don't seem inclined to communicate on this or any issue.

I'm very unimpressed. Not just with Greyhound, but also with DCC for creating this situation. Have we really no political recourse?

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭jinx9000

Ernest wrote: »
    I know that the deal that Dublin City Council did with Greyhound included the transfer of ownership of "our" bins to Greyhound. That means that Greyhound now own these dirty old bins. Therefore those who decide not to opt for Greyhound's service (and get new bins from another provider) cannot reasonably be expected to pay Greyhound €30 to take away Greyhounds property. On the contrary such households should be charging Greyhound rental for storing their dirty old bins.

chop up the bin and put it into your last greyhound recycle bag lift!

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭jinx9000

All Black & Brown bins have a chip embedded in them which is scanned when presented to the truck to see if the account is up to date.

Green bin service was free to all with DCC - didn't matter if you paid or not so they never bothered putting chips in the green bin - Greyhound won't collect your green bin if your account isn't in order so they send a label for the green bin for paying customers. So only the green bins require a new label.

Hope this makes sense;-)

it was on rte news. its a sticker with a barcode. remove the stickers and the whole system falls apart!

my bin has no barcode anywhere so without that, they cannot check who's paid what!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,002 ✭✭✭✭Esel

No code, no lifty.....

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭donegalgirl28

Reluctantly went with Greyhound as they will work out cheaper and my rubbish is piling up! Will stick with them for a year and then hopefully Thortons will service my area and I can switch over to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Ernest

aphex™ wrote: »
    Greyhound took over the bins in South Dublin a while ago, you didn't hear any uproar about it. Just figure out how it works and pay it.

Yeah, I just love compliant uncritical citizens. They do what the're told and don't ask awkward questions all the time......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭lensman

Finally got my greyhound info pack & top up card in the post today, actually I got two identical info packs !! what a waste of paper, oh but waste is their business isn't it ?.....blackhorse avenue D7

• Registered Users Posts: 28,812 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Philip Boucher-Hayes seems to smell skulduggery in this deal between DCC and Greyhound.... I'm afraid I've no idea how to post a link to the programme, but they had an item on it on Drivetime RTE1 from about 4.40pm to 5.53pm today, including an interview with the Assistant City Manager (or some such title).

They seem to think that the rules were bent, or manipulated, in Greyhound's favour in the course of the bidding process.

Not sure who to believe, tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,751 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Philip Boucher-Hayes seems to smell skulduggery in this deal between DCC and Greyhound.... I'm afraid I've no idea how to post a link to the programme, but they had an item on it on Drivetime RTE1 from about 4.40pm to 5.53pm today, including an interview with the Assistant City Manager (or some such title).

They seem to think that the rules were bent, or manipulated, in Greyhound's favour in the course of the bidding process.

Not sure who to believe, tbh.

It starts 12 minutes into the program and you can click onto 12 minutes with your mouse.

Goto this link and select "latest show"

http://www.rte.ie/radio1/drivetime/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭WithCheesePlease

Not sure if this has happened to anyone else, but just in case...

I registered with greyhound and paid the first instalment of €50 and also put €50 credit into my account - so €100 in total. I registered for the automatic top-up while I was at it. This all came out of my bank account fine - €100. Then I noticed that an additional €50 had been taken from my bank account a week later. Even before I had a bin lifted by them. I called greyhound about this and was told it was an error on their side (!!) and that the amount was debited back to my account again. Very dodgy.

Did this happen to anyone else or was it just me? How could that even happen?! Doesn't instil me with a lot of confidence I have to say...

Ye might want to check your online banking if you've signed up for automatic top-up...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

I registered with greyhound and paid the first instalment of €50 and also put €50 credit into my account - so €100 in total. I registered for the automatic top-up while I was at it. This all came out of my bank account fine - €100. Then I noticed that an additional €50 had been taken from my bank account a week later. Even before I had a bin lifted by them. I called greyhound about this and was told it was an error on their side (!!) and that the amount was debited back to my account again. Very dodgy.

Did this happen to anyone else or was it just me? How could that even happen?! Doesn't instil me with a lot of confidence I have to say...

Ye might want to check your online banking if you've signed up for automatic top-up...

Sort of thing happens all the time, happened with my gym membership last month.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

See what happens when they privatise a public service?

Let it be a warning to those economy experts who want to outsource everything from fire fighting to labour exchanges.

They'll soon learn.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭ANXIOUS

The bins that aren't paid up aren't being collected today. There was a lot of bins left between pearce and Harcourt street this morning. Looks fairly unsightly.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

something similiar happened to me but i didnt get the money back.

I signed up on the telephone with a credit card and agreed for the account to be automatically topped up wuith 12e.

They took the 50e charge and an extra 30e. Greyhound could not tell me why they had taken an extra 30e as it matched nothing on their system.

I have cancelled the automatic top up there and then and demand the refund of the 18e as it was a fraudlant transaction on my account.

I was told they could not refund any payments to my credit card and I would need to send them my bank account details in order to have the money refunded. There is no way I am giving them my bank account details.

I am considering reporting the charge to my credit card company at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,400 ✭✭✭Trampas

Most other counties have private bins service without any issues how did Dublin CC make a mess of this.

Bins weren't collected Monday in Harold's cross. When I rang Monday They lied and said they would be collected Monday night having missed the original Monday AM pickup.

Now they won't say when they will be collected except to say that it will be sometime within the next 48 hours. Am I supposed to leave the bloody things out all week?

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭SilverLiningOK

Anyone else have issues with online account balance ?

Paid €100 at post office, 50 of that being standing charge portion and 50 credit. Since then, have had one black refuse bin lift (charge 6.00). Balance now showing as -6.00. Surely it should be 44.00. Simply calculation 50-6=44. How can one know what's going on if this private company are behaving like a crowd of complete amateurs ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

Anyone else have issues with online account balance ?

Paid €100 at post office, 50 of that being standing charge portion and 50 credit. Since then, have had one black refuse bin lift (charge 6.00). Balance now showing as -6.00. Surely it should be 44.00. Simply calculation 50-6=44. How can one know what's going on if this private company are behaving like a crowd of complete amateurs ?

They will only let you pay 50 of the standing charge portion if you sign up to automatic top up. If not you have to pay the 100 standing charge up front.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Chocablock

irishbird wrote: »
    something similiar happened to me but i didnt get the money back.

I signed up on the telephone with a credit card and agreed for the account to be automatically topped up wuith 12e.

They took the 50e charge and an extra 30e. Greyhound could not tell me why they had taken an extra 30e as it matched nothing on their system.

I have cancelled the automatic top up there and then and demand the refund of the 18e as it was a fraudlant transaction on my account.

I was told they could not refund any payments to my credit card and I would need to send them my bank account details in order to have the money refunded. There is no way I am giving them my bank account details.

I am considering reporting the charge to my credit card company at the moment.

You signed up for 12 euro top up so it pays for the service charge and top up in installments of 12. So 4 12's is 48 which doesnt cover your service charge so it adds another 12 which is 60, 50 for service and 10 credit. Because this 10 is below the 12 top up amount it will take another 12 which should leave you with 72 taken out of your account. Dunno why it took 80 total

Also saw on news about South Dublin greyhound customers waivers being up. Fair enough they made a bollocks of DCC switch over but people cant expect a private company to give a free service. The prices there given old waiver customers are there cost price as far as I know

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭nudger

Chocablock wrote: »
    Also saw on news about South Dublin greyhound customers waivers being up. Fair enough they made a bollocks of DCC switch over but people cant expect a private company to give a free service. The prices there given old waiver customers are there cost price as far as I know

I think the wavers are ok until the end of year for the DCC takeover, are they stopping Dublin south now or at end of year?

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭SilverLiningOK

January wrote: »
    They will only let you pay 50 of the standing charge portion if you sign up to automatic top up. If not you have to pay the 100 standing charge up front.

That just isn't on. Why should auto top up be any different ? No way am I giving a company who I don't trust my card details. If they had direct debit option like DCC, that would be different. Looks like I will have to visit post office again and pay enough for a couple of lifts. Not too much, as they have enough of my money. Black bin is only put out when it's full anyway, which is usually 4-6 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,118 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

Slightly off topic in regards to Greyhound/DCC but has anyone used Allen Waste?

I used to live in Dublin 8 until recently and worked off the DCC bin tags at €3 per label and no standing annual charge. We had a green wheelie bin which was collected fortnightly without any separate charge and since we only used to put out a black bag on average once a month it was a cheap and efficient system.

I've recently moved address to Dublin 7 and the area is all wheelie bins - black, brown and green which are rather unsightly outside everyone's front doors. However the standing charge is what I've an issue with, don't understand why the wheelie bins incur a fixed annual charge in addition to a lifting charge which in itself is quite expensive. I'm all in favour of the user paying but someone who only periodically puts out refuse still has to pay a yearly standing charge. I believe you should either have a fixed yearly charge and no additional per lift charge or else a cost per lift and no annual charge but not both.

Given my displeasure with the annual charge I've been researching other refuse collectors and hence came across Allen Waste. I saw an occasional bag on the streets amongst all the wheelie bins Tues morning on my way to work and discovered they had labels marked Allen Waste. The information on their website
    http://allenwasteremovals.com/household.php
    is rather sparse so I rang the number this evening and was pleasantly surprised to learn that they operate a similar service to the old DCC bin bags. No annual charge and you can purchase bin labels in shops at €3 each for black bag general household waste. You've to text your address to the number on their website to register, advising them to check your street for bags for collection. When I enquired about green recycling waste they advised they also did this on a weekly basis and that the waste just had to be placed in clear plastic bags.

Have yet to try purchasing the bin labels and registering my address so just wondering if anyone else here on boards is a customer of Allen Waste and how do you find their service? Also where do you obtain your clear plastic bags for the green recycling waste?

Thanks

Chocablock wrote: »

DCC are till end of the year and South Dublin are up end of March. Both got 1 year on waivers. Greyhound really do love bad publicity

• Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

Any updates on this? Despite having the right tags none of the bins on our road in Drumcondra have been taken since the week before last, yet the recycling was picked up as normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Does anyone know Thornton's schedule for Dolphin's Barn? The website isn't being very helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭eboarde

I'm in Rialto and Thorntons pick up on Wednesdays

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Cheers.

Advertisement