Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin City Council - Bin Collection Privatised/Greyhound Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭blondie7

Just spoke with Oxigen, there rolling out there services at the moment in South Dublin Council and then in two weeks will be rolling it out in all of Dublin City Council area, ive signed up just out of principle!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭lensman

blondie7 wrote: »
    Just spoke with Oxigen, there rolling out there services at the moment in South Dublin Council and then in two weeks will be rolling it out in all of Dublin City Council area, ive signed up just out of principle!
    Can't see a pricing structure on their site, do you know their charges ? I also found out that Martin (e-voting machine) Cullen ex FF minister removed power from the elected councillors and gave them to the unelected City Manager & he made a unilateral decision to privatise the waste collection service in Dublin without any consultation with the councillors.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭blondie7

lensman wrote: »
    Can't see a pricing structure on their site, do you know their charges ? I also found out that Martin (e-voting machine) Cullen ex FF minister removed power from the elected councillors and gave them to the unelected City Manager & he made a unilateral decision to privatise the waste collection service in Dublin without any consultation with the councillors.

Here is the link to there charges for Dublin

http://www.oxigen.ie/dublin-wheel-bin-collections-dublin-city-area

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 h.s.thomson

Brenno wrote: »
    Does anyone know if we own our Dub City Council bins or will they be taken back if we move? The charges on the advanced waste website look good but you need to have your own bin...

Regarding bin ownership and further to yesterdays council meeting........

Firstly, as I have stated before, Greyhound did not buy the contract from DCC. They were required to issue a bond (3m euro is the figure bandied about within the industry). That being the case and in the absence of any invoice I fail to see how they could now own the bins.

Also, and this comes from within the industry, Greyhound were only confirmed as DCC's preferred option at the beginning of December (which would explain the "printing" miss-hap) prior to that time Greenstar were the considered shoe in. Greenstar were also awarded the operation of recycling facility in Ballymount which for some reason was pulled and given to Panda Waste at the very last minute.

Finally, regarding the collection of arrears, price increases etc if you run a check on Greyhound's company info (solo-check, vision-net) it should be noted their holding company re-registered as "Unlimited" on the 4th of January. An unlimited company does not have to divulge its financial results!

From what I can see there is something very very wrong in all of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

I'm about to move into a new place in town and the bins are usually collected with a tag on the bag, what's gonna happen now? Will I have to move to Greyhound? I've already divvied up €150 euro for tags for the year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭donegalgirl28

My situation is a lot complicated. My mother passed away in October, but had arrears in the waste charges (some of which is to be disputed as they are including the years which she did not live in the house) so I'm wondering, what is the story on that cos I'm still waiting for the succession of tenancy to come through from DCC (have rung them this morning about it and I'm still waiting!) so I can't really do anything about the arrears as I'm not the main tenant holder.

Thinking about switching to Oxigen as it's probably cheaper (worked it out with €14 per lift 8 times a year). So where does the arrears which are in my Mam's name go?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Oxigen flyer

189195.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,743 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Another Greyhound calendar through the letter box this morning in Dublin 8. The calendar posted earlier in the week had black/brown collections alternating weekly with green; this one has green every second week, but black every week, and no mention of brown bins.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,150 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

My situation is a lot complicated. My mother passed away in October, but had arrears in the waste charges (some of which is to be disputed as they are including the years which she did not live in the house) so I'm wondering, what is the story on that cos I'm still waiting for the succession of tenancy to come through from DCC (have rung them this morning about it and I'm still waiting!) so I can't really do anything about the arrears as I'm not the main tenant holder.

Thinking about switching to Oxigen as it's probably cheaper (worked it out with €14 per lift 8 times a year). So where does the arrears which are in my Mam's name go?
    To Greyhound in your mam's name most likely. Let them bill it and send back a letter explaining that the person they're trying to bill is deceased. They should write it off then.

I'm another that's switched to Oxigen out of principle. €20 a month is quite reasonable imho, €40 up front and €20 a month on DD after that.

I can see this deal back-firing badly on greyhound!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Does anyone know, how long it takes them to send out those stickers for the bins? I paid them 100 Euro last Monday, no answer yet...but I heard, they will send them out the same day, the annual charge is paid

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭donegalgirl28

Mate of mine who lives in South Dublin uses Thorton's. A lot cheaper than Greyhound and Oxigen!

€50 annual charge
    Black bin = €7.50 per lift
    Brown bin = €4.20

Think I'll move to them so!

Domestic-WebPage2080911v2_000.jpg

http://www.thorntons-recycling.ie/domestic-introduction

EDIT - balls! they don't cover North Dublin. Will email them so cos a they might gain a lot of customers now with all this!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭ooter

I logged on to my account today and it said my customer balance was -€56, I lodged the €100 that the letter said I needed to do and now its saying my account balance is €44.:confused:
    I know I still need to lodge another €12 but at that stage my balance will still only be €58,will my black bin be lifted?
    will I now get my barcoded sticker for the green bin?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,298 ✭✭✭freyners

dont know if this is the place to ask but does anyone know when the bins are collected in east wall, i bought a couple of tags and it doesnt say on them or on the internet from what i can see:confused:

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

ooter wrote: »
    I logged on to my account today and it said my customer balance was -€56, I lodged the €100 that the letter said I needed to do and now its saying my account balance is €44.:confused:
    I know I still need to lodge another €12 but at that stage my balance will still only be €58,will my black bin be lifted?
    will I now get my barcoded sticker for the green bin?
    thats because they changed their minds - you only have to pay 50e now and 50e in july

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭lolo62

tomasrojo wrote: »
    Another Greyhound calendar through the letter box this morning in Dublin 8. The calendar posted earlier in the week had black/brown collections alternating weekly with green; this one has green every second week, but black every week, and no mention of brown bins.

i got two calenders too. one is for tuesday and the other is for thursday. im in dublin 10 and i think dublin 8 and 10 have the same set up...ive always gotten my bin tags from the local shop and collection was monday morning

recycling by greyhound has always been free and ive never had any annual charge from the council or greyhound...

does the annual charge apply to plastic bag/bin tag users or just wheelie bin collection?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭tenandtracer

I'm in Dublin 8 and have not received anything from Greyhound yet, none of my neighbors have either. I checked their on-line collection rota and our street is not on it. So everybody, as usual, put out their rubbish for collection yesterday. Nothing collected, streets full of rubbish today - nice work DCC/Greyhound.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭dolallyoh

I'm in Dublin 8 and have not received anything from Greyhound yet, none of my neighbors have either. I checked their on-line collection rota and our street is not on it. So everybody, as usual, put out their rubbish for collection yesterday. Nothing collected, streets full of rubbish today - nice work DCC/Greyhound.:(

Many streets spelled wrongly, try some variations.

I just spoke to a really nice guy in Abbey Waste. Bin tags €3 for black bags. Register on website and waste collected each time you register. No annual fee!!!!

They serve dublin 8 and dublin 10 as well as a lot of dublin city heres the link

http://www.abbeywaste.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭tenandtracer

dolallyoh wrote: »
    Many streets spelled wrongly, try some variations.
    Thanks for that, I tried misspelling mine and neighboring streets - none matched. Looks like we are not in the database.

A greyhound truck just arrived, they took a look at our street and then just drove off.

No pun intended, but their service is rubbish.

olaola wrote: »
    Oddly enough our bins were collected yesterday (Inchicore, Bulfin) I thought I’d put them out for the craic, and see what happened! And we also received our 'information' pack from Greyhound in the post yesterday too. Which was the first communication we have seen in relation to the bin changes.
    We haven't paid ANYTHING to Greyhound, and I'm sure our DCC account is in arrears.

do you have a dcc account? i have been living in my rented house three years now and have never had a bill or any correspondance also...just bought stickers on the local shop and left rubbish out on a sunday night..

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,118 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I checked their on-line collection rota and our street is not on it.

Same problem here, which is odd, as our street used to be on it.
    I contacted them through their contact from and got a phone message this morning letting me know our collection days.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Rebellious Jukebox

There is a discussion on this on Near FM today at 12pm. You can listen to the stream here

http://www.near.ie/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=21&Itemid=50

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Toby Take a Bow

lolo62 wrote: »
    do you have a dcc account? i have been living in my rented house three years now and have never had a bill or any correspondance also...just bought stickers on the local shop and left rubbish out on a sunday night..

This is exactly the situation I'm in, right down to the day they collect the rubbish. All this talk of DCC accounts and the like is very confusing. Should people in rented accommodation fork out the 100 euro or should the landlord? Especially if you're not sure whether you'll be staying or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭lensman

If you are renting & don't have a DCC account & your bins/bags have always been collected in the past then your landlord must have been paying, I assume it was included in your rent, why start paying now:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭sambuka41

lensman wrote: »
    If you are renting & don't have a DCC account & your bins/bags have always been collected in the past then your landlord must have been paying, I assume it was included in your rent, why start paying now:confused:

I'm in similar position to the guys above, only I did get a bill for each lift, so I paid for my bins but never seen anything about a yearly service charge, DCC were not charging me €100 a year.

I am moving out in march so i wont be paying for a years collection. I'm going with Oxegen, we are paying €40 and its getting us our bins collected until early march. The other companies seem to have different options where you dont have to pay up front, it works out more expensive for each lift but at least you aren't paying for the next tenants to have their bins lifted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Toby Take a Bow

sambuka41 wrote: »
    I am moving out in march so i wont be paying for a years collection.

Problem with me is that I'm not sure whether I'm staying here or not in a couple of months. I think I'll probably go with the Abbey guys mentioned above. It seems like the best option, regardless of whether I stay or not.

On a related note, I thought privatisation of services was supposed to mean cheaper services? This is BS.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 supergunner

can anyone confirm that Oxygen will be covering all of the northside of Dublin? especially d5 / d17...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭cosmic

Problem with me is that I'm not sure whether I'm staying here or not in a couple of months.

I also rent and asked the guys at Thorntons about this. I was told that the €50 annual charge relates to the account holder and not the house. Therefore, if I move house in a few months, provided I'm still in an area they cover, my account stays the same. I merely have to bring my bins to the new place and nothing else changes. This is the main reason I chose to go with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,159 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

cosmic wrote: »
    I merely have to bring my bins to the new place

Its probably the right thing to do but I'd still feel like a thick packing up bins to move

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Still waiting for those bin tags, it's one week now, since I paid the annual charge.

The green bin is supposed to be collected on Thursday, but will they take it without the tags?

Advertisement