Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pacquiao v Mayweather

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 759 ✭✭✭tryingmybestt

Henno30 wrote: »
    Any chance of Canelo being put in with someone serious anytime soon?

yea agree totally....hope he doesnt become like chavez jnr...too protected

theres talk of alvarez v cotto in a unification scrap.....i think it would be a good fight but alvarez will probably be too big and strong

• Registered Users Posts: 2,220 ✭✭✭Henno30

yea agree totally....hope he doesnt become like chavez jnr...too protected

theres talk of alvarez v cotto in a unification scrap.....i think it would be a good fight but alvarez will probably be too big and strong

Would be better than Cotto-Pacquiao 2 anyway. Depends on the weight of course but I can't see Cotto exchanging with Manny and not getting peppered with shots. His footwork was clearly much better against Margarito but Manny's a whole other level. He doesn't have the handspeed to potshot Manny I reckon and he hardly has the stamina to outmaneuver him for 12 rounds. I like Cotto but it's just a bad match for him. Also, and unlike Pacquaio, his legacy is still hanging in the balance.

Would be better than Cotto-Pacquiao 2 anyway. Depends on the weight of course but I can't see Cotto exchanging with Manny and not getting peppered with shots. His footwork was clearly much better against Margarito but Manny's a whole other level. He doesn't have the handspeed to potshot Manny I reckon and he hardly has the stamina to outmaneuver him for 12 rounds. I like Cotto but it's just a bad match for him. Also, and unlike Pacquaio, his legacy is still hanging in the balance.

yeah cotto hasn't got the tools to beat manny

regarding legacies....i think that if pacman v floyd happens this year, then the winner if they win convincingly, could well be considered a top 10 p4p fighter of all time....the loser in my opinion will not be considered in the top 10, possibly top 50.....so i think although both already have great legacies i feel this fight is the difference between a great legacy and a top 10 p4p legacy

it's similar to ali.....before foreman and frazier 3 he already had a very good legacy, top 10 heavyweight of all time...but after them 2 fights he is considered top 1 or 2 heavyweight of all time

yeah cotto hasn't got the tools to beat manny

regarding legacies....i think that if pacman v floyd happens this year, then the winner if they win convincingly, could well be considered a top 10 p4p fighter of all time....the loser in my opinion will not be considered in the top 10, possibly top 50.....so i think although both already have great legacies i feel this fight is the difference between a great legacy and a top 10 p4p legacy

it's similar to ali.....before foreman and frazier 3 he already had a very good legacy, top 10 heavyweight of all time...but after them 2 fights he is considered top 1 or 2 heavyweight of all time

I think Floyd has a lot to gain from Pacquiao destroying some opponent in June. If Pacquiao looks bad again and Floyd beats him in November, the victory is always going to be heavily qualified by the decline in Manny's form. If he beats a Pacquiao who looks as good as ever it'll do wonders for his legacy. I do think Floyd will win either way though, and if he wins despite a good performance from Pacquiao it will probably look all the better.

I think Floyd has a lot to gain from Pacquiao destroying some opponent in June. If Pacquiao looks bad again and Floyd beats him in November, the victory is always going to be heavily qualified by the decline in Manny's form. If he beats a Pacquiao who looks as good as ever it'll do wonders for his legacy. I do think Floyd will win either way though, and if he wins despite a good performance from Pacquiao it will probably look all the better.

good point actually

• Advertisement

speaking of legacy's ...

where does everyone rate pacman and floyd in the all time p4p list???

• Registered Users Posts: 54,596 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I rate both high.

I rate Floyd and Manny in the top 25 ever. Floyd maybe 10-15 and Manny 15-20.

for me floyd is in the top 20 but if he beats manny convincingly i'd have him just inside the top 10...

manny for me is somewhere between 25 to 35.....i think if he wins a title at 154lbs and also beats floyd he could well sneak into the top 10....

for me floyd is in the top 20 but if he beats manny convincingly i'd have him just inside the top 10...

manny for me is somewhere between 25 to 35.....i think if he wins a title at 154lbs and also beats floyd he could well sneak into the top 10....
    Interesting view.

Floyd beating Manny won't really move him for me, and you? Aren't you already confident that he wins anyway?

Like I outlined earlier, Floyd is expected to win. He is more a true WW fighter, bigger than Manny.

If Floyd is currently higher than Manny in your view, then I would have thought that beating Manny would not raise Floyd?

Manny beating Floyd, who you and I rate higher than Manny, now that would logically point to you and I raising Manny, and maybe raising him past Floyd?

Ok: Just saw you mentioned if Floyd beats Manny convincingly. I assume this is why he gets raised.

walshb wrote: »
    Interesting view.

Floyd beating Manny won't really move him for me, and you? Aren't you already confident that he wins anyway?

Like I outlined earlier, Floyd is expected to win. He is more a true WW fighter, bigger than Manny.

If Floyd is currently higher than Manny in your view, then I would have thought that beating Manny would not raise Floyd?

Manny beating Floyd, who you and I rate higher than Manny, now that would logically point to you and I raising Manny, and maybe raising him past Floyd?

Ok: Just saw you mentioned if Floyd beats Manny convincingly. I assume this is why he gets raised.

I feel floyd would beat manny but many ppl pick manny so it would be a good scalp for him....someone made the point earlier that if manny has another fight and looks great before fighting floyd then the fight will be much bigger because manny is not coming off a below par performance.....i agree with this and if manny dominates bradley, peterson etc. the fight v floyd will become close again in many ppl's eyes.....even though i rate floyd higher than manny it would still be a great win against a fellow great....i would rate ali above frazier but still raise ali's position if he beat frazier....yeah exactly convincingly...if it's close its not really relevant....i.e. marquez 'win'

i don't think floyds size is relevant because the fight won't happen on the inside....speed and timing are more relevant and manny definitely has the power......mannys fast feet could make it interesting but i think floyd figures him out and takes over after 5 rounds....

• Advertisement

Could Manny land on Floyd?

He's got as good a chin, better handspeed, and better power than anyone Floyd has fought since retiring, and almost everyone he fought before, but I just can't see how he's going to consistently hit Floyd. I feel like he'd just be eating right hands all night. If there's any prototype for beating Floyd, I'd imagine it to be a guy with a reach advantage, a real stiff jab, and the ability to control the centre of the ring and make Floyd circle. To me at least, Manny just doesn't fit the bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭minty16

Just in response to some above posts, Yes PBF is favourite to beat Manny but in boxing terms he is a very slight favourite. He is 8/13 with the bookies which in boxing terms is not much of a favourite at all. He is even money to win on points and 5/1 to KO Pac Man. I think he wins , but the general perception by bookies/public/boxing world is that it's as close to a shootout as you can get. This is why I agree with tryingmybestt's initial point that if Mayweather wins this he moves into top 10 P4P , and comfortably IMO.

minty16 wrote: »
    Just in response to some above posts, Yes PBF is favourite to beat Manny but in boxing terms he is a very slight favourite. He is 8/13 with the bookies which in boxing terms is not much of a favourite at all. He is even money to win on points and 5/1 to KO Pac Man. I think he wins , but the general perception by bookies/public/boxing world is that it's as close to a shootout as you can get. This is why I agree with tryingmybestt's initial point that if Mayweather wins this he moves into top 10 P4P , and comfortably IMO.

Fair enough. Can I ask, IF Manny wins would that raise Manny up, and up above Floyd?

I just think that Many winning gives a whole lot more to rave about than Floyd winning. Close with the bookies or not, Floyd is the man they all want to beat. He has the 0, he is the more natural WW, and he is the one that plays the "villain."

Floyd has more to lose here. Much more in terems of al time legacy. Manny has tasted defeat a few times already. He loses to Floyd, sure wasn't he meant to accoring to the fans, and the bookies?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,783 ✭✭✭handsomecake

Can you imagine the 24/7's and face off with kellerman,weigh ins and promos for this fight.it would be a bear pit. i hope it goes ahead #moneyteam

i floyd beat pacman then moved to 154 and beat alvarez and cotto and then moved to 160 and beat martinez.....honestly i'd have him top 5 of all time.....it's not impossible he could achieve this

i floyd beat pacman then moved to 154 and beat alvarez and cotto and then moved to 160 and beat martinez.....honestly i'd have him top 5 of all time.....it's not impossible he could achieve this

I would rate that as an exellent result. Pigs may well fly!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭Wild_Dogger

pig1.gif

pigs could fly or pacman v floyd could happen

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭tysonslovechild

This fight will only happen if that ****in snake in the grass arum takes a step back and let pacman negotiate with mayweather. I know that wont happen and arum wont let pacman fight mayweather as hes the cash cow for top rank and isnt confident of manny beating floyd. Pacman looses and top rank loose there true and only genuine PPV puller.

Floyd beats manny all day. I like manny hes great to watch but ive always thought he was over rated. This due to Bob Arum propaganda saying mannys the greatest of all time . Remember he said the same about mayweather as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭tysonslovechild

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjIs6iW5HRA

Now says the samething about manny

pacquiao's average payday is about 7 million....mayweather guarantees him 40 million

why the hell won't he fight

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

pacquiao's average payday is about 7 million....mayweather guarantees him 40 million

why the hell won't he fight

He wants another 2-3, 7 plus million fights and then get the 40 million pat day on retirement. If he fights pbf 1st then that's the end of any pay days.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

cowzerp wrote: »
    He wants another 2-3, 7 plus million fights and then get the 40 million pat day on retirement. If he fights pbf 1st then that's the end of any pay days.

yeah but if he waits until mayweather is 36/37 the fight will have lost its appeal significantly

if it doesnt happen this year its a travesty for boxing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭moneyman

Not exactly true though is it :confused:

If he loses to Floyd, it's not as if no one will want to fight him. Nor will people stop watching him. It's Floyd and Arum that are now holding this up, mainly the latter in this particular instance.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,753 ✭✭✭corny

moneyman wrote: »
    Not exactly true though is it :confused:

If he loses to Floyd, it's not as if no one will want to fight him. Nor will people stop watching him. It's Floyd and Arum that are now holding this up, mainly the latter in this particular instance.

True but if Floyd beats him does he generate the same level of interest or do people re-evaluate his standing? Maybe, maybe not.

One thing is for certain though. Putting the Mayweather fight on the long finger is fool proof. There are enough saps out there to guarantee a mega fight even if they leave it till their forties.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭Wild_Dogger

Thats assuming Manny looses ......

They reckon theres about $200 Million to be made from this fight , 40M is just 20% of that .

I think 51% for Mayweather would sooth his ego enoungh

i agree

for me mayweather is the favourite but no way can manny be written off

he has great power, speed etc. so he has to stand a chance

i just can't see him landing cleanly often enough to win

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

moneyman wrote: »
    Not exactly true though is it :confused: .

he'd retire if he lost, only thing keeping him going is the big pay day now

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Advertisement

they would probably both retire after the fight....the winner a p4p great....the loser not as great

Advertisement