Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pacquiao v Mayweather

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 54,596 ✭✭✭✭walshb

cowzerp wrote: »
    Not sure of the 2lbs but it was done for a reason in fairness.

Cotto is a come forward technical fighter, not a technician like Marquez or mayweather, plus cotto ain't what he used to be since margarito and him fought 1st.

Yes, it was done for a reason. I remember debating that, and folks saying it's nothing, well, if it's nothing, why the hell bother making Cotto do it?

Agreed that Cotto regressed since Marg fight, but he was still quite good, technical (in a different way, as you note), but he was brutalised.

Floyd, of course, will poses more technical/defensive issues, but I believe that Roach and Manny will come up with a plan to at least make this one very competitive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 759 ✭✭✭tryingmybestt

pacman has picked opponent

arum said he made good choice so it musn't be floyd

vetting favourite is cotto and another title for pacman

"By James Slater: According to promoter Bon Arum, in speaking to The Philippine Star, it took “30 minutes to get everything done.” Arum was referring to his star fighter Manny Pacquiao and he choosing the next opponent for the P-4-P king.

But, being tight-lipped, Arum will not say who it is that Pac-Man chose. Not until an official press conference set for this coming week some time. Why not? Is it because Arum knows the fans will be unhappy because the chosen next foe is not Floyd Mayweather? Maybe. But Arum has said that Mayweather “is not out of the picture.”

All Arum would say was that “Yes, he [Manny] has made the right choice.” Again, why the need for secrecy then?

It may not mean too much, but whispers coming out of The Philippines say that Pacquiao’s wife, Jinkee, was quoted as saying her husband has chosen Miguel Cotto as his next opponent, meaning, if true, that we will see a return of the November 2009 meeting Pac-Man and Cotto had. How will fans react if this proves to be true? Pacquiao against a guy he has already dominated and stopped, anyone? And at what weight will the reigning WBA 154-pound champ face Pacquiao at if a return happens?

Jinkee said her husband had been going though tapes and, in looking for a June opponent, picked Cotto.

It wouldn’t surprise me at all if Pacquiao did fight Cotto next; or anyone else other than Mayweather come to that. A recent ESPN poll had a whopping 46-percent of voters saying they did not believe Pacquiao-Mayweather would happen this year. I’m one of these people.

Look for Mayweather to fight on his set date of May 5th (probably against Canelo Alvarez), and look for Pacquiao to fight four to six weeks later (probably against Cotto).

Now, let Arum and Pacquiao prove me wrong!"

Ok, now if this is Cotto even I will be pissed. I have a sneaky outside bet that Alvarez could be the foe. Mind games, beating Floyd to the punch, so to speak. Maybe at a catchweight of 150 lbs.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,639 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

To think there'll be people willing to watch Pacman v Cotto fight again. Utterly pointless.

I think Arum just wants to extend this saga out as long as possible to maxmise the revenue potential. The problem is he doesn't realise people are losing interest the longer this goes on.

yeah he's treating public like fools......who wants to see pacman win another title against someone he's already dominated

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭colly10

A Cotto fight would be completely pointless, I have zero interest in seeing what happens in that fight.
    There are no excuses, Pacquaio makes the money so he's the one who can call the shots. I believe Floyd is willing to make the fight this time and I will not be contributing to Manny's ratings again until a reasonable opponent is chosen.
    I wish the 2 of them would just retire, Pac is an embarrassment to the man he once was, he has his money now and owes more to the Filipino fans who idolised him

i doubt cotto even believes he could beat pacman so whats the point.....the only winner is Arum and the fighters bank balance

unless the added weight has a drastic effect, 154lbs, i doubt it

whats a better fight:

mayweather v cotto at 154lbs or

pacman v cotto at 154lbs

i'd pick mayweather one purely because we haven't seen it

i see cotto losing both badly

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭gene_tunney

Neither Pacquiao nor Mayweather will ever fight at 154.

Neither Pacquiao nor Mayweather will ever fight at 154.

what weight was the biggest fight in boxing history fought at??????????....mayweather v delahoya??

154lbs !!!!

i'd bet pacmans next fight is v cotto at 154 lbs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭gene_tunney

what weight was the biggest fight in boxing history fought at??????????....mayweather v delahoya??

154lbs !!!!

i'd bet pacmans next fight is v cotto at 154 lbs

I meant to say again. True, that fight had a 154 limit, but Floyd weighed in at 150. Cant' see him doing it again unless he really wants to drain someone, eg Sergio, but he's too risky for Floyd. Pacman is just too small.

Good point though! ;)

I meant to say again. True, that fight had a 154 limit, but Floyd weighed in at 150. Cant' see him doing it again unless he really wants to drain someone, eg Sergio, but he's too risky for Floyd. Pacman is just too small.

Good point though! ;)

mayweathers main possible opponents except for pacman are alvarez and cotto, both at 154lbs

cotto is 154lb champion, pacman already dominated him, i think pacman would definitely go to 154 against cotto and beat him again as cotto is damages goods IMO.....oacman looked bigger and stronger than cotto at 147

• Registered Users Posts: 7,753 ✭✭✭corny

mayweathers main possible opponents except for pacman are alvarez and cotto, both at 154lbs

cotto is 154lb champion, pacman already dominated him, i think pacman would definitely go to 154 against cotto and beat him again as cotto is damages goods IMO.....oacman looked bigger and stronger than cotto at 147

Didn't Manny say never again after the Margarito fight. I know he did a job on him but he was giving him nearly 20 pounds on the night.

corny wrote: »
    Didn't Manny say never again after the Margarito fight. I know he did a job on him but he was giving him nearly 20 pounds on the night.

i don't think manny would fear cotto at any weight....he's already demolished him so he'd fight him at middleweight

margarito was a lot bigger, especially height and reach

cotto is similar height to pacman and in their fight pacman looked stronger than cotto

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭getuponthis

I knew this fight would not happen again. And it looks like PBF wants the fight this time. From my impressions of Pacman I think he would be happy to fight Mayweather, its just that greedy old fcuker Arum. The sooner he kicks the bucket the better for the whole of boxing.

agreed, arum messing things up

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Scanlas The 2nd

Everyone should boycott pacquoia's next fight if it isn't against maybes their. .

floyd has confirmed that he has a guaranteed purse....

what's arums excuse now....floyd has told him to negotiate with Haymon or Schaefer

fingers crossed it happens

my guess: floyd v cotto and pacman v bradley

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭horsemeat

Bob Arum confirms pacquaio will not be fighting floyd in may.

****ing disgraceful.

he's a ****ing poison in the sport.

****ing very pissed off.

Why is everyone so so furious now with Manny's camp?

Floyd and his team did a whole lot of stalling over the past couple of years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

walshb wrote: »
    Why is everyone so so furious now with Manny's camp?

Floyd and his team did a whole lot of stalling over the past couple of years.

Totally agree when Pacquaio looked like a human tornado and was destroying Hatton, De LaHoya and Margarita, Mayweather done alot of posing but would never commit to a fight. Now 3 yrs too late when we are sick of hearing about this fight he is doing the calling out because he knows this fight ain't going to happen. I always felt Mayweather was hoping Pacquaio would have retired by now so that he could crow about how Pacquaio avoided him.

I just don't get it. This farce is going on several years, and suddenly, a poxy FB/Twitter request from Floyd, looking to fight results in Manny and his camp getting slated? Manny expected to drop everything, and simply fight because Floyd says so?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

I just don't get it. This farce is going on several years, and suddenly, a poxy FB/Twitter requset from Floyd, looking to fight results in Manny and his camp getting slated? Manny expected to drop everything, and simply fight because Floyd says so?

Yeah it was like the blood testing excuse, Boxing has its own list of rules regarding doping but Mayweather wanted to dictate that they follow Olympic blood testing rules. As Freddie Roach said "the boxing ruling bodies make the rules, Floyd Mayweather does not make the rules in boxing". Also Mayweather was offered $40 million a few yrs ago and came back demanding $100 million and the blood testing.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

This is the 1st time either showed any interest in the fight, Manny says yes and there is no way of getting out of this

its all about money as Floyd knows the fans are copping onto Manny and wants to fight him before his marketability is gone, The result would have been no different from when the match was 1st talked about and now.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Spazdarn

Well look everyone knows what Floyd was at, but this is the one time he wasn't playing the coward, and while I know there was a lot of posturing on his side with the twitter and facebook comments, it did look like he wanted the fight.

The boxing industry is in a terrible state if two world class boxers both want to fight each other yet it'll probably never happen.

UFC has done it right...

UFC has done it right...

Yeah, when Fedor was the best in the business and they would not come to agreement to get him in to fight there champ-Business is business and the UFC are no different, they just have a strong monopoly on the sport of MMA.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Spazdarn

cowzerp wrote: »
    Yeah, when Fedor was the best in the business and they would not come to agreement to get him in to fight there champ-Business is business and the UFC are no different, they just have a strong monopoly on the sport of MMA.

They're making a hell of a lot more competitive and interesting fights than boxing is churning out these days.

They're making a hell of a lot more competitive and interesting fights than boxing is churning out these days.

Some yeah, but when they have the contracts of most the top fighters thats easy, and actually makes it worse when they don't match the fights the fans want to see' For example GSP and Silva has been wanted for years by the fans and could easily happen.

Sonnen should be fighting Silva now.

Belfort also should have got rematch with Silva, he only lost by a flukey kick after starting strong.

Bisping is 1 fight away from title shot even though he's a journeyman

There is loads of examples, like Brock lesnar getting the title after beating 2-3 nobodies and losing 1 of his 1st 4 fights-I love the UFC but let's be straight here-they do what makes financial sense 1st and foremost.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭colly10

I just don't get it. This farce is going on several years, and suddenly, a poxy FB/Twitter request from Floyd, looking to fight results in Manny and his camp getting slated? Manny expected to drop everything, and simply fight because Floyd says so?

Drop what though, drop fighting some bum that noone is interested in watching? Mayweather is willing to take the fight but the excuses from mannys camp are very poor.
    Manny prides himself on being the peoples champ and giving the fans what they want, he's just lost that claim, he can go fight Cotto now but I won't be watching it

• Advertisement

Floyd had his chance to fight TOO, you know. My issue is how folks seem so so to blame Manny now. There is two of them in this. aND, MANY WILL ARGUE THAT IT WASS fLOYD WHO WAS STALLING AND STALLING MORE THAN mANNY WHEN THE FIGHT SHOULD HAVE HAPPENED, TWO YEARS AGO.

Damn caps. I am not rewriting that.....;)

Anyway, colly, we both are fed up with the sham. I am just am a sucker for a good old debate and talk.

Advertisement