Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pacquiao v Mayweather

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,753 ✭✭✭corny

walshb wrote: »
    I just don't get it. This farce is going on several years, and suddenly, a poxy FB/Twitter request from Floyd, looking to fight results in Manny and his camp getting slated? Manny expected to drop everything, and simply fight because Floyd says so?

I think thats just exasperation with people tbh. Finally Floyd looks like he's coming around and now its Manny throwing the spanner in. Perhaps Floyd knew Manny wouldn't accept and thought the needless posturing would help his persona. You wouldn't know.

Anyway its quite obvious neither fighter nor their representatives have the sport at heart.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭colly10

Floyd had his chance to fight TOO, you know. My issue is how folks seem so so to blame Manny now. There is two of them in this. aND, MANY WILL ARGUE THAT IT WASS fLOYD WHO WAS STALLING AND STALLING MORE THAN mANNY WHEN THE FIGHT SHOULD HAVE HAPPENED, TWO YEARS AGO.

Damn caps. I am not rewriting that.....;)

Anyway, colly, we both are fed up with the sham. I am just am a sucker for a good old debate and talk.

Before I took Manny's side although I could see it from floyds side too. I disagreed with Floyd but could make a case for him.
    The difference is now I disagree with Manny and cant make a case for him.

They are rejecting the fight because it would make more money at the end of the month and choosing instead to fight someone at the end of the month for less. Their excuse is money but they'd be making more money going with Floyd. The excuse makes zero sense, does Arum think we're fools or am I missing some part of the excuse that makes the whole thing make sense

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭gilmour

Both camps have now confirmed that Mayweather phoned Manny last night and they both agreed a 50/50 split. I dont want to type this because we've been let down so many times before but i'm going to say it, this fight is going to happen on May 5th, both fighters want it too much to allow Arum to stand in the way. He has absolutely no avenues to go down in terms of excuse making anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,596 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Pacquiao speaks to Floyd on superfight

abs-cbnNEWS.com
    Posted at 01/20/2012 2:12 AM | Updated as of 01/20/2012 2:23 AM

I'm willing to fight Mayweather anytime, Pacman says

MANILA, Philippines – There is hope for a Manny Pacquiao-Floyd Mayweather Jr. fight after all.

Pacquiao told ABS-CBN's Dyan Castillejo that he and Mayweather spoke through the phone and talked about the super bout.

The fighting congressman said he is willing to face Mayweather "anytime," as long as he will be given an equal split of the fight revenues.

"Sabi ko aprub na sa akin ang 50-50, walang problema anytime. Nasa 'yo na 'yun. Maghihintay kami kung OK na sa iyo (I said just give me a 50-50 split in revenue and there would be no problem, anytime. It's up to you. We’ll wait for your answer)," he said.

If Mayweather agrees, the fight could take place in May.

This was contrary to the claim made by boxing promoter Bob Arum in Sports Illustrated that Pacquiao’s next fight would be in June.

Mayweather earlier demanded through a series of tweets that Pacquiao should face him on May 5.

However, a May 5 fight date between Pacquiao and Mayweather would not be “economically smart” said Arum.

The Top Rank CEO even said the Pacquiao agreed with him regarding the May 5 bout.

“He realizes that economically the May 5th date is not smart,” Arum said.

He agrued that a temporary stadium would be needed to host the super bout. The venue, said Arum, would likely be available in late May.

Arum said that without Mayweather, Pacquiao is likely to fight against one of the four fighters: Juan Manuel Marquez, Timothy Bradley, Miguel Cotto or Lamont Peterson.

'Best of buds' behind it all, which I think makes my suspicion that the fight could well become a rematch/trilogy all the more possible. Where there's money there's a way.

colly10 wrote: »
    Before I took Manny's side although I could see it from floyds side too. I disagreed with Floyd but could make a case for him.
    The difference is now I disagree with Manny and cant make a case for him.

They are rejecting the fight because it would make more money at the end of the month and choosing instead to fight someone at the end of the month for less. Their excuse is money but they'd be making more money going with Floyd. The excuse makes zero sense, does Arum think we're fools or am I missing some part of the excuse that makes the whole thing make sense

Thing is, us mere mortals are being fed snippets of info, scraps. The real wheeling and dealing is not known to us, hence why I wouldn't be too quick to slate any side. Floyd's side are guilty, but Manny's side are not free from criticism either. It's a sham, and to me, a well orchestrated one. My whole point was how folks are now so quick to berate Manny and his team. All this came about after this silly FB/twitter comment.

• Advertisement

gilmour wrote: »
    this fight is going to happen on May 5th, both fighters want it too much to allow Arum to stand in the way

It won't, despite criticism, Arum has said again today it won't be happening on the 5th.
    The venue, said Arum, would likely be available in late May.

He has said today -

"The earliest estimate for having the stadium completed is the beginning of May. But of course, you have to be conservative.

A couple of extra weeks to ensure that it goes up with no lingering problems"

So, they think the stadium will actually be ready but are leaving it till the end of the month just to be sure.
    The people responsible for building this would obviously throw the kitchen sink at having it ready for then to get such a massive opening event, you couldn't get better advertising than opening with that event and would pump money in if required to make sure it gets done.
    So this excuse just doesn't wash with me
    Thing is, us mere mortals are being fed snippets of info, scraps.

True, we don't hear everything, they obviously will put their best excuse forward though as it's damaging not to. And Bob's best excuse is that they want to wait to the end of May to make sure that a stadium that's due to open at the begining of May will be ready

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭jonathan13

Jinkee(mannys's wifey) said it can be on My 5 or June 5, on Philippine local news..

make it happen.

MANILA, Philippines – Floyd Mayweather Jr. is unlikely to give in to a 50-50 split of revenues with Manny Pacquiao.

According to a report by Examiner.com, Mayweather made a statement through ESPN that an equal share of revenue for the Pacquiao fight won’t happen.

“He asked about a 50/50 split and I told him no, that can’t happen,” the controversial boxer said regarding his phone conversation with Pacquiao.

But Mayweather said he assured that big money will come in for Pacquiao if he accepts the fight.

“What can happen is you can make more money fighting me than you have made in your career,” he said.

He also urged Pacquiao to take full control of his side of the negotiations and not leave everything up to boxing promoter Bob Arum.

“I also let him know I’m in control on my side but he needs to get on the same page as his promoter so we can make this fight happen,” said Mayweather.

Pacquiao earlier said that he received a call from Mayweather.

The Filipino boxer said that the 3-minute phone conversation covered discussions about the share of revenue and the May 5 date.

Pacquiao said the result of the negotiation could come out next week.

So, is Floyd now throwing up another obstacle? Unwilling to share 50/50?

If Manny agrees to the fight, and wants half, seems like Floyd won't accept half, and the fight does not happen?

Am I interpreting this wrong, maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Floyd had his chance to fight TOO,

He didn't though, there was no offers and only talk-never was there any agreements in place, this is the 1st time either has concretely said they'd do it, and went a step further by having a date a big money agreement in place, Arum is running out of excuses now.

The only excuse thats relevant now is he wants his cash cow to get 1-2 more pay days before doing this fight.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

cowzerp wrote: »
    He didn't though, there was no offers and only talk-never was there any agreements in place, this is the 1st time either has concretely said they'd do it, and went a step further by having a date a big money agreement in place, Arum is running out of excuses now.

The only excuse thats relevant now is he wants his cash cow to get 1-2 more pay days before doing this fight.

See post above.

• Advertisement

MANILA, Philippines – Floyd Mayweather Jr. is unlikely to give in to a 50-50 split of revenues with Manny Pacquiao.

According to a report by Examiner.com, Mayweather made a statement through ESPN that an equal share of revenue for the Pacquiao fight won’t happen.

“He asked about a 50/50 split and I told him no, that can’t happen,” the controversial boxer said regarding his phone conversation with Pacquiao.

But Mayweather said he assured that big money will come in for Pacquiao if he accepts the fight.

“What can happen is you can make more money fighting me than you have made in your career,” he said.

He also urged Pacquiao to take full control of his side of the negotiations and not leave everything up to boxing promoter Bob Arum.

“I also let him know I’m in control on my side but he needs to get on the same page as his promoter so we can make this fight happen,” said Mayweather.

Pacquiao earlier said that he received a call from Mayweather.

The Filipino boxer said that the 3-minute phone conversation covered discussions about the share of revenue and the May 5 date.

Pacquiao said the result of the negotiation could come out next week.

So, is Floyd now throwing up another obstacle? Unwilling to share 50/50?

If Manny agrees to the fight, and wants half, seems like Floyd won't accept half, and the fight does not happen?

Am I interpreting this wrong, maybe?

Floyd is the big draw in the fight, that much is true-especially after Manny coming off a controversial win, personally as a fan 50-50 would be great and would make things easy but realistically like any venture you should get what you put in, he will be the main seller of this fight as he is the 1 who will do most the promo and is the far bigger name worldwide.

Floyd is the big draw in the fight, that much is true-especially after Manny coming off a controversial win, personally as a fan 50-50 would be great and would make things easy but realistically like any venture you should get what you put in, he will be the main seller of this fight as he is the 1 who will do most the promo and is the far bigger name worldwide.

No way. Manny is absolute an equal here. The world wants to see Floyd fight Manny, and vice versa, so what is his excuse? No way in hell can Floyd now claim to be globally bigger.

Looks like greed now will stall this. But, who is being greedy? Manny or Floyd?

You guys are making excuses for Floyd. The drugs tests he insisted on were also defended. If one man is making excessive and unfair demands then to me that is the man who is the staller.

Now Floyd seems not to want to share the revenue. That to me seems like a blatant obstacle.

Both will make more money that they can freaking spend, so why is Floyd doing this?

Like Federer telling Nadal that in the Wimbledon final that he is the draw, so he should get the higher purse.

Both men are global, well known and established. Manny is the fighter from recent years that has caught the imagination of the planet as regards boxing.

Bren, you want to believe its Floyds fault but it plain to see it's Arum's fault, Floyd is the bigger draw and thats obvious, yes people want to see both together but floyd is the bigger draw in the fight and also the one who'll market the fight.

Floyd is the biggest draw in Boxing right now and thats by a big way

Bren, you want to believe its Floyds fault but it plain to see it's Arum's fault, Floyd is the bigger draw and thats obvious, yes people want to see both together but floyd is the bigger draw in the fight and also the one who'll market the fight.

Paul, forgetting Arum. Do you think IF Floyd won't fight because it's 50/50 that this is fair, and not him creating an obstacle?

I criticise both equally. IF Manny did this he too gets criticised. If Manny insisted on Manny's drugs tests he gets criticised.

What will Floyd's next obstacle be should Manny agree to a lesser share?

Explain to me how Floyd is a bigger draw in boxing, and bigger by a big way, considering their last fights PPV buys?

I do NOT want to believe it is anyone's fault. I clearly said that BOTH sides have played games. But, IMO, the drugs tests and this latest one really stick out.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

Don't see this, and personally I'd want to watch them equally.
    Pac has an enormous following, not just the neutrals wanting a good fight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭horsemeat

Brendan I look forward to logging on here someday and seeing a post from you that is favourable to Floyd.

You never give him a fair shake of the dice.

Floyd looked sensational in his last two fights, both of which made it into the top three all time biggest grossing ppvs outside of the heavyweight division I might add.

Pacquiao looked bad against Mosley, and worse against Marquez. His star is on the wane, fans starting to see through the hype, realising all he ever beat were a couple of weight drained has beens.

Mayweather is the p4p and the ppv king.

I think 60/40 would be fair considering the circumstances.

Don't forget as well, 50 50 doesnt mean it's fifty percent each. It means floyd gets fifty, bob gets thirty and manny gets twenty. No prizes for guessing which one of them is really behind the push for fifty fifty. Heck manny said a few weeks ago he'd be willing to take the smaller share to make the fight happen.

As regards the fight, i'm getting really pissed off. And will be even more so if it doesn't happen in May. This shit needs to get done now, just let them get it on for fuck sake ***Cough*** BOB ***cough***.

Manny is looking for equal, he is not demanding or wanting more, and the guy is a global star, has been for about three years now. Mega global.

Look at the PPV numbers for the last bout. A sham 3rd bout vs, a faded and worn JMM, yet still it did more PPV buys than Floyd vs. a WW champ who is at his peak.

Manny is nobody's inferior in terms of star power and global recognition.

horsemeat wrote: »
    Brendan I look forward to logging on here someday and seeing a post from you that is favourable to Floyd.

You never give him a fair shake of the dice.

Floyd looked sensational in his last two fights, both of which made it into the top three all time biggest grossing ppvs outside of the heavyweight division I might add.

Pacquiao looked bad against Mosley, and worse against Marquez. His star is on the wane, fans starting to see through the hype, realising all he ever beat were a couple of weight drained has beens.

Mayweather is the p4p and the ppv king.

I think 60/40 would be fair considering the circumstances.

Don't forget as well, 50 50 doesnt mean it's fifty percent each. It means floyd gets fifty, bob gets thirty and manny gets twenty. No prizes for guessing which one of them is really behind the push for fifty fifty. Heck manny said a few weeks ago he'd be willing to take the smaller share to make the fight happen.

As regards the fight, i'm getting really pissed off. And will be even more so if it doesn't happen in May. This shit needs to get done now, just let them get it on for fuck sake ***Cough*** BOB ***cough***.

Fair shake?

He is one of the best fighters in years. I don't care who it is, to ignore his faults is ridiculous. I said clearly that both can be criticised. But, jumping on Manny incessantly when Floyd TOO is part of this sham to me needs analysing.

I rate Floyd so high as a fighter, but to me, the drug tests he insisted on were ridiculous, and looked blatantly like an obstacle.

Manny is GLOBAL. The world wants to see both men. Floyd throwing this up now is as far as I can see an obstacle. IF Manny did it, again, I would see it as identical.

I am always fair and biased when discussing fighters.

Look at Foreman vs. Ali. They split it, and Ali was BY MILES the bigger name, miles. Ali is the biggest name in sports history. So what if Foreman was champ.

And, Floyd here still makes a heap of cash, so is it really his ego and greed? If not, then what is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Spazdarn

I don't know how anyone can think Manny Pacquiao doesn't deserve at least half. They're like two sides of a coin, they're like something out of wrestling, the face and the heel.

Floyd is the big draw in the fight, that much is true-especially after Manny coming off a controversial win, personally as a fan 50-50 would be great and would make things easy but realistically like any venture you should get what you put in, he will be the main seller

This is very much a 50/50 fight and for a money issue to suddenly come up is a joke. He knows he won't get 60/40 so this is just another bs obstacle.
    He should have been smart and kept his mouth shut cause the date and venue won't be sorted anyway.
    Do they think this bs is interesting or generates more interest in the fight, I loose more respect for them every time they open their mouth.

Either way, this fight will never happen or it will be another 2 years when it's even less relevant. I'll believe it when they're on the scales but it definitely won't be may

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭Wild_Dogger

Who cares how much money they get ? and who cares who the PPV king is ?

I support Chelsea but I dont give a damn about players wages .

There's a greedy line that cannot be crossed ,
    I think we need to put down the ring magazine, and pick up Aesop's Fables .

dollars.gif -

Who cares how much money they get ? and who cares who the PPV king is ?

I support Chelsea but I dont give a damn about players wages .

There's a greedy line that cannot be crossed ,
    I think we need to put down the ring magazine, and pick up Aesop's Fables .

dollars.gif -

It's not about caring, it's about reality-the bigger draw deserves more money.
    Otherwise all boxing fights would be 50-50 as it takes 2 to make a fight.

Brens comparison of Ali and foreman is not s good one, foreman was young ferocious and the most feared man in boxing, the 50-50 split was because of ali's fame/drawing power which balanced the money rightly between sales and perceived ability.

Fair shake?

I said clearly that both can be criticised. But, jumping on Manny incessantly when Floyd TOO is part of this sham to me needs analysing.

I rate Floyd so high as a fighter, but to me, the drug tests he insisted on were ridiculous, and looked blatantly like an obstacle.

Manny is getting jumped on now because he is the stumbling block now, when Mayweather was and still is getting jumped on for the drug test stuff that was because people felt he was, many others felt manny not taking it was a stumbling block and I would agree with that, if anything manny has got off lightly and even now it's Arum getting most the blame when manny is the 1 who could make the decision.

It's not about caring, it's about reality-the bigger draw deserves more money.
    Otherwise all boxing fights would be 50-50 as it takes 2 to make a fight.

Brens comparison of Ali and foreman is not s good one, foreman was young ferocious and the most feared man in boxing, the 50-50 split was because of ali's fame/drawing power which balanced the money rightly between sales and perceived ability.

Paul, forget the comparison.

This particular fight pits two extremely famous athletes on earth together. Manny wants half. That is all. Half. Floyd now seems to want more. To me, that looks like an obstacle, yet again, he is defended, and this time it's quite a vague and weak defence. "Floyd is the bigger draw."

Manny has been a global boxing sensation/draw for the past 4 years. Simple: Neither eclipses the other. Manny is a star, has star power. He most definitely deserves a split. Floyd came out of retirement because Manny had created such a buzz in the world of boxing. He was a phenomenon. Now, Floyd is the bigger draw, and by far?

Anyway, it is bull. My whole reason for bringing it up was because there was a ridiculous and OTT backlash towards Manny as soon as Floyd Facebooked a message calling him out, after three years of waiting. Manny doesn't JUMP, and he gets slated. Now, it transpires that Manny will agree, asks for half, and Floyd moves the goalposts.

Nothing to do with a fair shake, as horsemeat implies; it is simply interpreting the snippets of info I am fed.

I have no real love for either fighter. To me the both of them are great boxers, but if I was asked to say which one I believe to be a stumbling block to this fight I would have to be honest and say I believe it is Floyd who is more the stumbling block.

Nothing to do with liking him, not liking him, or liking Manny. Just my interpretation of the events and snippets and "facts."

This money split, and insisting "I get more," is pathetic, and stinks of stalling. I could understand if it was Khan or Alvarez, or Bradley etc. But it's Manny Pacquiao, one of the worlds most recognised sports stars. He plays second fiddle to nobody in boxing.

And, hand on heart, if Manny did this I would react identically, because I do not have bias, and nor am I any kind of fanboy.

Well before we talked about the split you where still banging on about drug tests. Now that is in the past, the current issue is Mayweather WILL beat him and they know it, the cash cow and (thats all he is now) is been held till his time to retire is up. If you don't see that then your blinkered.

The 60-40 thing is just people on here talking dung, no 1 knows the offers.

Alvarez would be a far tougher fight anyway for Floyd and could be the next super star of boxing. Especially if he beat Floyd

Ps. Manny never committed to this fight ever, the 1st time Either did was now and the truth has come out.

Well before we talked about the split you where still banging on about drug tests. Now that is in the past, the current issue is Mayweather WILL beat him and they know it, the cash cow and (thats all he is now) is been held till his time to retire is up. If you don't see that then your blinkered.

The 60-40 thing is just people on here talking dung, no 1 knows the offers.

Alvarez would be a far tougher fight anyway for Floyd and could be the next super star of boxing. Especially if he beat Floyd

Ps. Manny never committed to this fight ever, the 1st time Either did was now and the truth has come out.

This is my issue. I get called and pulled for not giving Floyd a fair shake, but when one looks at your posts regarding Manny and this fight, don't they seem a lot stronger in terms of condemnation? Not pulling you on it, just confused as to why I was pulled on it? And, pulled on it by a pro Floyd supporter it seems.

I am pro nobody. I just like to speak of facts and give a view based on the facts. 60/40 is something I don't know about. I just posted a link to what seems to be Floyd refusing an equal split. I didn't see any 60/40 reference, so not sure of that "dung." horsemeat brought in 60/40, and banged on about how sensational Floyd looked in his last two fights. 4 rds vs. Ortiz, I didn't see anything sensational at all. Nothing bad, but sensational? Fanboy?

Floyd AND Manny are part of it. I believe Floyd to be more a stumbling block, and this money excuse being given now leads me to think this more.

BTW, as for banging on about the drugs, well, that demand in my book reeked of stalling. It was desperation. Never heard that from any fighter in history. I never heard any top fighter ask another top fighter to take drug tests before a meeting, and drugs tests that were not official in the sport.

And manny could have called his bluff if he wanted the fight-neither did at the time, I've said this all along.

I don't mind been pulled on it, this is the 1st real call out and has been knocked back-Mayweather was slated for the drugs test thing even though I think they both messed up there, now if your not pro manny or anti Floyd you should be slating Manny who wants no part of Floyd.

I'm a fan of both boxers but think manny is protected and when he had challenges there usually handicapped by dehydration etc

I'm quite Anti manny right now and open about that. This is because I feel his team are cheating the sport with catch weights, dehydrations and picking suitable fights.

Mayweathers team ain't all that but there not as bad as arum and roach, Roachs fighters are notoriously protected.

And manny could have called his bluff if he wanted the fight-neither did at the time, I've said this all along.

I assume you are speaking about drugs tests.

But it wasn't a bluff. Floyd wanted OSDT performed. Manny would not agree to tests. Only fighter I know of who put in non boxing style drugs tests into a potential fight agreement. That to me says an awful lot about Floyd wanting or not wanting the fight back then.

I assume you are speaking about drugs tests.

But it wasn't a bluff. Floyd wanted OSDT performed. Manny would not agree to tests. Only fighter I know of who put in non boxing style drugs tests into a potential fight agreement. That to me says an awful lot about Floyd wanting or not wanting the fight back then.

C'mon Bren, don't be so naive
    If he wanted the fight he could have took the test, no big deal, it was a get out for Manny.

Neither and I stress neither wanted the fight at the time as they where guaranteed big money for easier work

I'm off to bed.

• Advertisement

C'mon Bren, don't be so naive
    If he wanted the fight he could have took the test, no big deal, it was a get out for Manny.

Neither and I stress neither wanted the fight at the time as they where guaranteed big money for easier work

I'm off to bed.

Sleep tight; me on the forum alone again.:(

Advertisement