Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Bangernomics car of the week/day - Part II

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,864 ✭✭✭langdang

As recompense:

Surely worth a punt at this price
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/3227273
    Full-11029126.jpeg

Turners Cross, Summerhill South area, maybe RJ could help any prospective boards purchasers out?
    If you know him like, not suggesting any ol random joe should start PM'ing him!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

langdang wrote: »
    As recompense:

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/3227273
    Full-11029126.jpeg

Turners Cross, Summerhill South area, maybe RJ could help any prospective boards purchasers out?

I pass that car almost everyday. Body work seemed to be in good nick from the glances I get of it but it's not really something to worry about anyway in a sub €1000 car.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭gonzo1

Seat Cordoba, years NCT + tax 05/12

In Dublin for 825e

Looks Clean

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/3176560?cid=3176560&

View2?id=10785267

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭JohnButler

hi all,

I'm new to bangernomics forum so be kind! so my story is I have a budget of 1500 and I'm very taken with Saabs. The only thing is I know nothing about them really apart from what I've researched online. Just a couple of questions regarding what's the main thing to be wary about and with Saab out of business now are parts expensive?

There seems to be no end of used Saabs for sale.

I would appreciate anyone's advice on the matter.

cheers

JohnButler wrote: »

I would appreciate anyone's advice on the matter.

cheers

An excellent recent post .......
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=78010688

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64,989 ✭✭✭✭unkel

RoverJames wrote: »

I don't even have to click that to know which post it is :)

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭JohnButler

excellent info there, thanks a lot. Can't believe I missed that in the first place!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭W123-80's

• Registered Users Posts: 8,214 ✭✭✭ongarite

'04 Peugeot 607 for €1500:
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/3043301
    Full-10148493.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,450 ✭✭✭blastman

Diesel?

Hmm, not sure why I thought it was a diesel, must have been a brain fart!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,450 ✭✭✭blastman

langdang wrote: »
    As recompense:

SOLD (not to me)!!

• Registered Users Posts: 64,989 ✭✭✭✭unkel

ongarite wrote: »

If I were still in the market, I would have gone for that - fantastic value!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

unkel wrote: »
    If I were still in the market, I would have gone for that - fantastic value!

Sellers description is a bit optimistic " sports/coupe " :)

I wonder what mileage is on the 607?

• Registered Users Posts: 73,395 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

W123-80's wrote: »

"This news story is sponsored by Cavanaghs of Charleville".

Probably.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

^^ Any car that doesn't reach 200,000 miles, the collective owners should be ashamed of themselves. Unless you're a cretan, regular oil changes (based on mileage and time, not just mileage) will see any petrol car to 200K and a diesel to 400K. Unless you get a dog. Even dodgy VAG pulleys are not an excuse. because we know of these faults.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

blastman wrote: »
    SOLD (not to me)!!

Once it makes the Bangernomics thread, its as good as sold :-D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,268 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Full-11040228.jpeg

Chancey? 2001 Saab 9-3 with full service history but no tax or test with change from a monkey.

I'd say offers over €231

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cabrwab

And its sold!
    Worth a punt at 450 for sure!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Stink on the inside

colm_mcm wrote: »
    I'd say offers over €231

Quick off topic question about scrapping a car, when the seller says he can get 230 to scrap it, does he mean scrap it and it will be used for parts?

or is this a general price that one would get for scrapping a car as the steel, cat etc can be recycled?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭W123-80's

An Ri rua wrote: »
    ^^ Any car that doesn't reach 200,000 miles, the collective owners should be ashamed of themselves. Unless you're a cretan, regular oil changes (based on mileage and time, not just mileage) will see any petrol car to 200K and a diesel to 400K. Unless you get a dog. Even dodgy VAG pulleys are not an excuse. because we know of these faults.

Agreed.

I just thought it was funny to see the paper cut out in the advert pics.!

Not mighty bangernomics in hindsight either.

Quick off topic question about scrapping a car, when the seller says he can get 230 to scrap it, does he mean scrap it and it will be used for parts?

or is this a general price that one would get for scrapping a car as the steel, cat etc can be recycled?

Bring it to a scrapper, they give you €230 or so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

This place is gonna have to be renamed Saabanomics if this keeps up :D

Speaking of which, I've spotted a nice looking 01 9-5 Aero and its gonna come for the right money. Going to have a look at it on Saturday and even though I dont want nor need it, I might just save it from a banger merchant :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 steveryaner

Saab Ed wrote: »
    This place is gonna have to be renamed Saabanomics if this keeps up :D

Speaking of which, I've spotted a nice looking 01 9-5 Aero and its gonna come for the right money. Going to have a look at it on Saturday and even though I dont want nor need it, I might just save it from a banger merchant :p

I bought a 01 95 Aero estate just before Christmas. A lot of bang for my 1500 euro and the load space is something else. It needs a few little things done to it but it still has a years NCT on it. Apart from the issues mentioned before the only other thing that normally goes on them are the clips that hold the window to the window reg. it's an easy fix and takes about 20 minutes per window all in. The clips cost about 3 euro each on eBay and there are two per window. As for the SID there are threads on the Internet and videos on YouTube of how to fix these, its not a tough job. The problem is the ribbon coming away from the back of the screen which sometimes can be easily fixed or if not a replacement ribbon can be bought online for about 40 euro.
    I have always admired Saabs and took the plunge after doing some research. I bought it as a throw away car. If and when that time comes it'll be done with a very heavy heart but I have a sneaky feeling this car could be a keeper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,864 ✭✭✭langdang

colm_mcm wrote: »

Bring it to a scrapper, they give you €230 or so.
    You'd have to cut the cat out of it and sell that on yourself to make it up to that mark. Maybe one or two more bits taken out yourself and sold. If you dumped it straight in for scrap metal you'd be looking at 130 ish by the time a reputable place would have applied various environmental "disposal" charges. That's my experience in Hegartys in Limerick anyway.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

less chit chat, and more banger options!

my choice for today, new nct and a touch of class.........

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/vintagecars/3192686
    Full-10863915.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

how does an old merc like that compare for maintenance costs and reliability?

Generally very well, the 2.2 in the W124 wasn't the best option though, HG wasn't an issue as such but on the other engines it was very rare on the 2.2 it wasn't. Unreal comfortable yokes to drive, magic carpetesque.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,214 ✭✭✭ongarite

406 Coupe, NCT 1/13, good spec:
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/3064203
    Full-10247493.jpeg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement